Code of Conduct

Default Help me find my sensual, sexy, seductress' scent!

Hi fellow basenoters,
    I usually go for simple florals, my favourite is Tresor, but I've decided to branch out and get something really special for those nights when I want to play temptress! I don't know much about perfumes but all the ones I sample at my local department store seem to smell similar - flowery or fruity, sweet, light. Some are wonderful, others not so great. But I'm looking for something different... my fantasy perfume. I don't know if it is an oriental or chypre or musk or what.. but its kind of bold, kind of dirty and earthy (think Amazon woman fresh from the hunt, oiling her long, lean limbs as she stands in her leopard-skin bikini in front of a raging fire..). Something that lures you in with its depth and heat and mystery. If you know a perfume that seems to fit this description please don't hold back! I'm not fussy at all about where it comes from but nothing too expensive please, I'm just a poor student.
    Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help me find my sensual, sexy, seductress' scent!

Armani Code for Women is very sexy and may be a suitable fragrance for your budget.

Post Thanks / Like

Hypnotic Poison maybe?

Rochas Mystere, maybe?

Thanks for your replies so far! I haven't tried Rochas Mystere, but will do so. Hypnotic Poison and Armani Code, while I like them both, are really not at all what I'm after! All that heady sweet vanilla is nice for cuddling up but not really what I personally think of as sexy.. I was thinking more 'earthy' really.

Quote Originally Posted by Trish
    Thanks for your replies so far! I haven't tried Rochas Mystere, but will do so. Hypnotic Poison and Armani Code, while I like them both, are really not at all what I'm after! All that heady sweet vanilla is nice for cuddling up but not really what I personally think of as sexy.. I was thinking more 'earthy' really.
    Serge Lutens Arabie
    Kenzo Jungle Elephant
    Burberry Gold
    Yves St Laurent Opium or Opium Fleur de Shanghai
    Coty Wild Musk (maybe not as animalistic as you'd like but I think it is quite strong.)
    Tabu by Dana
    Bulgari Omnia
    Estee Lauder Youth Dew Amber Nude
    L'Occitane Ambre Fleur de Citsus
    The Body Shop Patchouli
    The Body Shop Ananya
    The Body Shop Coconut (you said jungle.)

The Body Shop has a musk perfume in the Invent Your Scent line that smells woody. I forgot what is it called - maybe Aztique. You might also want to try some Monoi oils or pikake scents.
    Last edited by MysteryFemme; 11th January 2007 at 12:02 PM.
    "Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
    - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Post Thanks / Like

Ok...let me see...Personally I love Agent Provocateur and Narciso rodriguez edt for sexy.

Some sure temptress weapons are:
    Shalimar
    Poison (the original)
    Dior Addict
    Coco (the original not the madamoiselle)
    Narcisse Noir
    Ysatis
    Fracas
    Dolce&Gabbana Pour femme
    Malle Noir Epices
    Fendi Asja
    Gianfranco Ferré (the one in the golden globe)
    Serge Lutens Tubereuse Criminelle
    Rochas Femme
    Black Orchid
    Ungaro Diva
    YSL Nu edp
    just to name some...

Also D&G By Woman or whatever it's called - the animal print bottle, not sure which animal skin.
    "Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
    - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Post Thanks / Like

Chypres are calling your name, Trish, I am afraid. To what Magnifiscent suggested, may I add Paloma Picasso, Agent Provocateur, Coriandre, Knowing, Genny (black), La Perla, please?

Post Thanks / Like

Sell some unused textbooks, bogart those joints, ignore the jeering crowd and invest in McQueen's Kingdom. Wimpy jungle animals will fall senseless - the strongest will swoop down and sweep you off your beautifully bronzed bare feet :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Ahhh, THANKYOU everyone!. So many amazing, thoughtful, exciting suggestions here.. now that I know what to look out for I literally cannot wait to go shopping again!! I will let you know how my hunting goes.

Hi Trish,

Your description immediately made me think Kenzo Jungle (elephant), but I agree with Taolady and Kingdom is some sexy stuff!!!! Jungle IS your description, but it's a bit more gourmand-ish only due to the heavy spices in there. It may be a bit more "power" frag than seductress frag.

Also Agent Provocateur, Kiehl's No. 1 Musk (a very musky musk, with few other notes, but sexy and warm. Low sillage, skin scent, gets more sillage as body heat goes up, hint hint), Animale Animale (oldy but goody and very sexy! also fits your vignette!). If you want to lean towards the smoky side of seductress (not jungle woman, but perhaps mysterious woman with a wicked leopard-print bra/panty set on underneath) I suggest Bandit or Habanita.
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

I second Agent Provocatuer and Kiehl's Original Musk, but if they are too expensive for the budget, I would suggest these:

Youth Dew parfum (it's one of the most affordable scents in parfum form, and a little goes a long, long, looooong way).

Guerlain's Shalimar (though I prefer the parfum, which isn't particularly cheap) is a real temptress and has enough leather kick to make it more than just a sweet cuddly vanilla scent.

Femme EDP or EDT - this is just as earthy and sexy and bold as could be. You must try it!

Also, from my collection (though I can't claim it is particularly cheap), Razala, Film Noir and Palas Atena seem to fit your description perfectly - earthy and sexy in all cases. If you PM me with your mailing address I will be happy to send you these three - free of charge.
    Here are the links to their descriptions and notes (they are also in the Basenotes database, by the way):
    http://ayalamoriel.com/perfumes.cfm?...&product_id=75
    http://ayalamoriel.com/perfumes.cfm?...&product_id=79
    http://ayalamoriel.com/perfumes.cfm?...&product_id=43
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Animale is a good choice, as Mochi227 said - it's reasonably priced and sexy in an '80's way (if you liked Red by Giorgio you'll like Animale).

Another sultry older one is Panthere de Cartier.

One that fulfills all your requirements except price is Muscs Koublain Khan by Serge Lutens - it's high end, unfortunately :-( You can pick up a decant off ebay, which makes it reasonably priced, and is what I did.

I second (or third) Agent Provocateur and Serge Lutens' Tubereuse Criminelle (the first is sex kittenish and the second intensely femme fatale), but these are high end also (I only own decants of these two also).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I immediately thought of Kiehl's Musk and I'm glad others have suggested it as well. It's actually pretty reasonable if you can find it @ Marshall's. At my local Marshall's they have several bottles available for $35. I'm toying w/ the idea of getting one. It's a GREAT smell.

Also, you might check out Gaultier2. Vanilla + Amber + Musk = SEXY!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I secound Dior Addict, cause it is a real seducer, and for a reasonable price.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

I totally agree with the Coco recommendation. My girlfriend (as in friend) used to wear this and she was the epitomy of sexy. I wore it, as well, and it made me feel so sexy!!! Oh to remember!! Later, Shalimar. Another great call. Recently, Lola Lempikita smelled really good to me, I bought a bottle, wore some that evening & my husband and I really enjoyed the perfume. (proper enough?) Anyway, I've seen Shalimar & Coco available for less $ output at a time decants and I'm sure Lola must be too! You could always sniff @ the store first, then purchase a decant size from a basenotes memeber. At least give them a smell.

Post Thanks / Like

Badgley Mischka does it for me, one of my current favorites. I'm also a big fan of Coco Chanel and Shalimar. Women who wear any of those can almost always stop me in my tracks.

-Sloan

I nineteenth Agent Provocateur (no matter what I'm wearing, it makes me feel like I'm Elizabeth Taylor in 'Cat on a Hot Tin Roof') and definitely try En Passant by Frederic Malle. It's not cheap, but with all the rich men whose hearts you'll be breaking, it evens out

Quote Originally Posted by ineespenes
    Ok...let me see...Personally I love Agent Provocateur and Narciso rodriguez edt for sexy.
    I agree with you on BOTH counts. Great picks.

[QUOTE=flathorn]Animale is a good choice, as Mochi227 said - it's reasonably priced and sexy in an '80's way (if you liked Red by Giorgio you'll like Animale).[QUOTE=flathorn]

Animale sounds interesting, and excellently priced! But when you say 'sexy in an 80's way', do you mean like a power frag, Poison or Paloma Picasso style, or is it more subtle than that? Is it something I could sometimes wear during the day or during summer?

Thumbs up Re: Help me find my sensual, sexy, seductress' scent!

[quote=Trish][quote=flathorn]Animale is a good choice, as Mochi227 said - it's reasonably priced and sexy in an '80's way (if you liked Red by Giorgio you'll like Animale).
    Quote Originally Posted by flathorn

Animale sounds interesting, and excellently priced! But when you say 'sexy in an 80's way', do you mean like a power frag, Poison or Paloma Picasso style, or is it more subtle than that? Is it something I could sometimes wear during the day or during summer?
    Hi Trish,

The notes for Animale are bergamot, coriander, jasmine, pineapple, currant, orange flower, rose, and ylang-ylang. The base is sandalwood, vetiver, and oakmoss with a little patchouli. It is not a power frag like Poison or Paloma, not nearly as big on the sillage (in my experience) and the patchouli in Animale tends to keep it closer to the skin (it WILL project, just not in an obscene way lol).

If Paloma is a boardroom frag, Animale is a stretch limo and disco dress frag. I have gotten compliments whenever I wear it. It's just sexy. Your milage may vary, but it's a very good scent. Also lasts a looooong time and the oakmoss makes it extra special, taking it into woody chypre territory (although some say its an oriental). The oakmoss in it is probably what makes it so special to me, because it gives it that intriguing quality where the scent comes across as multifaceted and always moving. For the price you can find it, I think it's very good quality. One of those that IMO smells like it costs more than it does.

Personally, I would not wear Animale during the day. I suppose you "could" with a light application but that is not really what this frag is about. It's a frag you wear when you feel seductive and expect to be noticed. When I wear, I feel enboldened and hot! It's not overpowering but it is not subtle either. I suppose in that sense it really is the best of sexy: you can't help but notice it but when you do it's more like "oooh check her out" rather than "god, she is so obvious!" Summer? Sure, why not, but I've never tester her in the hot weather.

ps IMPORTANT!: if you do decide to buy it, make sure you get Animale, not Animale Animale. It's confusing because the house is "Animale" so when we say "Animale Animale" it means the singular named version with blue top, not Animale "Animale Animale" with the pink top. Don't know anything about that one.
    Last edited by mochi227; 12th January 2007 at 10:06 AM.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.

=

current favorites:
    =

Hi mochi227,
    Thank you for taking the time to write me such a brilliant, detailed description of Animale! I really have a good idea of what this frag is all about now and certainly won't hesitate to buy it blind! And thanks also for that extra note about which Animale you're referring to - that was going to be my next question!

Quote Originally Posted by Trish
    Hi mochi227,
    Thank you for taking the time to write me such a brilliant, detailed description of Animale! I really have a good idea of what this frag is all about now and certainly won't hesitate to buy it blind! And thanks also for that extra note about which Animale you're referring to - that was going to be my next question!
    Great, and you are welcome! Glad I could be of service. Let us know how it works for you! Happy Friday

=

current favorites:
    =

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I second Kingdom too - kind of bold, kind of dirty, kind of earthy, just as you said.... great stuff.

I'd also suggest Agent Provocateur Maitresse, another one with a clear agenda

I pipe in with NR for Her the edt version
    and Victoria's Secret Halo
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Smile Re: Help me find my sensual, sexy, seductress' scent!

HI, love. After reading that you wanted something earthy, I immediately thought of Coty's Wild Musk. I tested it the other day at walgreens and my first reaction was definitely spicy, woodsy and natural. It didn't last long though. To me, a sexy scent is going to be spicy. Try unisex fragrances. I like mixing musks and lavender! Look for fragrances with sandalwood, rose, or patchouli too.