Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy your favorite discontinued frags

The boys do this on their side quite a bit, but I did a search and in the FFD we have not have a thread dedicated to discontinued frags.

Why OH WHY do the houses discontinue what are often their BEST formulations? Could it be that we perfume lovers with our more refined tastes and exacting demands be out of step with the mainstream when it comes to scents? Well, duh but were those scents that got discontinued selling so poorly that they had to be put down? Anyone with industry experience who can answer WHY frags are discontinued, please let us know, but in the meantime, let's have 'em...

What are your most mourned discontinued frags?

Off the top of my head I'll say Victoria's Secret Basic Instinct (sexy port wine and blackberries!, but not gourmand, just sexxxxy), which I just bought today at eBay for a decent price.

Avon Occur! Why this lovely leather number? And the entire Rare series (sapphires and emeralds especially)

Todd Oldham (don't go snatching up my eBay supply I've got my eyes on now!). I guarantee there will be renewed interest in this now that Oldham will be hosting Bravo's new designer reality show "Top Designer." Cognac-y, vanillic, sweet but in a very sensuous way, creamy honey delight.

Aramis New West (for him and her) and Havana. This discontinuation makes NO SENSE at all. These frags are loved by so many. New West For Her fetches upwards of $60 on eBay. I used to buy it for a song at Bradlees when I was a teen. Why OH WHY?!

Guerlain Mahora. So I've heard it will be re-released with a new name. Not holding my breath. I thought this was another winner entry in the Guerlain canon of oriental classics.

I can't think of any more right now...it's too depressing

What are yours?
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

Default Re: your favorite discontinued frags

Quote Originally Posted by mochi227
    Guerlain Mahora. So I've heard it will be re-released with a new name. Not holding my breath. I thought this was another winner entry in the Guerlain canon of oriental classics.
    Called Mayotte.

So many:

Lanvin's My Sin, Rumeur (the real one), Pretexte and od course Scandal

Faberge's Babe, Aphrodesia and Woodhue

Max Factor's Geminesse and Aquarius

Revlon's Intimate and Aquamarine

Weil's ZIBELINE, Antilope, Weil de Weil, and Fleur de Weil

many others....sigh

BTW I recently bought Todd Oldham at Marshalls

And how could I forget Le de Givenchy!!!

Crepe de Chine?

weep
    Last edited by Zibeline; 12th January 2007 at 02:38 AM.

Cut in this country, Haie Fleurie du Hameau. This is winning the title of best floral for me, and I never seem to tire of it. I'm don't normally care for jasmine or white floral bouquets, but this one catches me by surprise with a hint of rusticity in the form of dried hay or some other sort of grasse.

Oh....discontinuation, what a nightmare.

Flora Nerolia Guerlain
    Antilope
    Matthew Williamson Incense (luckily there has been talk about re-issuing this)
    Oeillet sauvage (production has stopped)
    Theorema

Off the top of my head. Must be others too.

And even more horrifying: the complete destruction of Cabochard and Dioressence due to reformulation :-((

Avon's Little Black Dress.
    "Where should one use perfume?" a young woman asked. "Wherever one wants to be kissed," I said. - Coco Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Zibeline
    So many:

Lanvin's My Sin, Rumeur (the real one), Pretexte and od course Scandal

Faberge's Babe, Aphrodesia and Woodhue

I haven't thought about this for many years, but my mother gave me a bottle of Faberge's Babe when I was a little girl - I guess you could say it was my first perfume. Don't remember much about it.. peach notes maybe? but I would love to be able to smell it again and see what memories it conjured up!

TBS Rose Musk

TBS (original) Vanilla - 1990. I've heard that L'Occitane's Vanilla, which was also discontinued and then reformulated, smelled like it.
    "Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
    - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Ahhh, that would most definitely be Venezia by Laura Biagiotti!
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Venezia and Sotto Voce, both by Laura Biagiotti. Also Crèpe de Chine and the ORIGINAL versions of Je Reviens and Chantilly.
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Shiseido Feminite du Bois. Happily, I just bought two bottles on ebay, and they should arrive about ... right ... now!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry
    Shiseido Feminite du Bois. Happily, I just bought two bottles on ebay, and they should arrive about ... right ... now!
    Quarry, is FdB discontinued globally or just in U.S.? I thought it was one of those still made in Japan. If not, then I may have to buy some like NOW! I get this obsession when I think I might never get a chance to sniff... I have to have the perfume immediately LOL
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.

=

current favorites:
    =

FdB is being sold as well here in Switzerland, even at disctd. price!

My list is almost never-ending, but i'll say for starters:

Ô pour Homme by lancôme
    C'est La vie by Lacroix (so interested in the new re-working of the frag!)
    AquaFlore by Carolina Herrera

Jean Marc Sinan, chock full of damascones, which are restricted now. It smelled so rich, it smelled like money. Oh lordy, it was a beautiful woody chypre.

Feminite du bois is still being sold in perfumeries all over France, Quarry,(Marrionaud, Galeries Lafayette etc.)

I really miss :

Casaque (Jean d'Albret)

Havoc (Mary Quant)

Aqua Manda (Goya)

Rive Gauche original

Courreges Empreinte

I've yet to see a single bottle of FdB in the States, but it's very popular in Europe, especially Germany. I've even seen quite a few bottles of the pure parfum. An Shiseido emissary explained that the scent is too strong, spicy, and woody for American markets. Don't know whether that's true but that's the feeling at the company HQ, perhaps.

Guerlain's Ode.

Coty's La Rose Jacqueminot

Corday's Toujors Moi
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mochi227
    Quarry, is FdB discontinued globally or just in U.S.? I thought it was one of those still made in Japan. If not, then I may have to buy some like NOW! I get this obsession when I think I might never get a chance to sniff... I have to have the perfume immediately LOL
    According to boisdejasmin blog, FdB is discontinued in the U.S.
    http://boisdejasmin.typepad.com/_/20...te_du_boi.html

If you visit http://www.Shiseido.com, you'll see the publicize just three fragrances: Zen, Energizing and Relaxing.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Nombre Noir by Shiseido

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady
    Guerlain's Ode.

Coty's La Rose Jacqueminot

Corday's Toujors Moi
    That's funny, i thought about those as well (in my list of long lost perfumes)...

Tis a thread most foul. *sigh*

Victoria's Secret Victoria
    Escada Collection
    Boudoir
    Ralph Lauren Safari (my favorite for years)
    Eclix La Perla
    Theorema
    Cacharel Gloria
    Camp Beverly Hills
    K de Krizia
    Organza Indécence
    Napa Valley Cielo
    Chanel No. 19 Parfum
    Fabergé Babe (no, I'm not kidding)
    Kate Spade
    Village Bath Aspen Glow
    Casaque
    Avon Honeysuckle
    Black Cashmere
    Fresh Bulgarian Rose
    Après L'ondée
    Shiseido Vocalise
    Shiseido Feminite du Bois
    Shiseido Inouï
    Xi'a Xi'ang

And now, rumor has it, Cristobal!!
    Last edited by Tovah; 12th January 2007 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tovah
    Black Cashmere
    seriously? what is it with Donna Karan? First Chaos and now BC? But Be Delicious lives on

I had no idea Black Cashmere was discontinued

=

current favorites:
    =

Black Cashmere
    Helmut Lang
    Yohji

Thank heavens I acted in time.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

You can find Black Cashmere everywhere in Switzerland. Didn´t hear about being disctd.

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux
    That's funny, i thought about those as well (in my list of long lost perfumes)...
    That's 'cause I'M Gemini and YOU'RE Castor/Pollux....
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Quote Originally Posted by Elf
    I've yet to see a single bottle of FdB in the States, but it's very popular in Europe, especially Germany. I've even seen quite a few bottles of the pure parfum. An Shiseido emissary explained that the scent is too strong, spicy, and woody for American markets. Don't know whether that's true but that's the feeling at the company HQ, perhaps.

FdB is available at Amazon in the US for $65.00
    http://www.amazon.com/Feminite-Bois-...=UTF8&s=beauty

My faves?--
    the Lanvins--vintage My Sin, Rumeur, Pretexte Scandal
    Diors--Diorling and vintage Miss Dior
    Guerlain--Djedi, Fol Arome, many others
    and newer ones:
    Gobin Daudes (esp. Nuit au Desert)
    IUNXs (esp. L'ether and Splash Forte)
    DK Chaos
    Czech and Speake Dark Rose (on hiatus?)
    Matthew Williamson Incense EDP (coming back?)

Quote Originally Posted by Paisley
    Cut in this country, Haie Fleurie du Hameau. This is winning the title of best floral for me, and I never seem to tire of it. I'm don't normally care for jasmine or white floral bouquets, but this one catches me by surprise with a hint of rusticity in the form of dried hay or some other sort of grasse.

La Haie Fleurie du Hameau is for sale at beautycafe.com, I bought a bottle a couple of months ago. And they're not discounters, but a regular retail boutique so it looks like it's still being sold in the U.S.

I'm sad about DK Chaos

I miss Sotto Voce by Laura Biagotti, but I deeply mourn Venezia by Laura Biagotti.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Does anyone know the best substitute/replacement for Ispahan by Yves Rocher? Thanks very much.

Unhappy Re: your favorite discontinued frags

Victoria by VS, there has never been anything even remotely LIKE it!
    My others are the Burberrys, Red and Brit, Red, also nothing else like it!

Nicole Miller (for women)

I think my lifes work will be finding a replacement for this one. I could not believe it was discontinued.

I have half an inch in a bottle as a reminder sniff.

Sniff, sniff.

YSL 3 Home perfumes 'Parfum de Maison' : Plui d'ete, Faux Santal & The' Marrakech. I am not sure about the spelling but these are a well composed fragrances & nothing like them (launched 1996).

YSL JAZZ Prestige
    OPIUM 'Secret de Parfum'
    GUCCI RUSH for men
    Ricci Club
    Minotaure by Paloma Picasso
    Anthrasite by Jacomo
    Organza Indesnese
    rive gauche 'original'
    Vice Versa

Quote Originally Posted by tariq
    Minotaure by Paloma Picasso
    I thought about that one too, but forgot to mention it before.
    I think when the last bottle of Minotaure gets sold, i will be a very unhappy man.

My choices are pretty old and obscure:
    Coty Sophia
    Borghese di Borghese
    Isadora
    Last edited by tigers1901; 17th January 2007 at 05:53 PM.

I miss the original Evyan fragrances, particularly White Shoulders and Most Precious. But I wonder if I would still love them today. My tastes have changed and expanded since the old days. The stuff now sold as "White Shoulders" in drugstores is horrible stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ispahan
    Does anyone know the best substitute/replacement for Ispahan by Yves Rocher? Thanks very much.
    I have used three bottles of Ispahan during the 80`s and 90´s, and I liked it very much.

The most similar, as far as I know, is Prada. It is also dark and dry.

But there are so many frags I haven´t tried, you can get better suggestions, I guess.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Unhappy ANDIAMO by Borghese

and I'm still loooking for it!!!!!

Also, the original Cabochard
    Anne Klein (there were two, I miss the lighter one).
    Evyan's White Shoulders
    Givenchy Le De
    Original Coty Muguet Des Bois

Quote Originally Posted by Alicka61
    You can find Black Cashmere everywhere in Switzerland. Didn´t hear about being disctd.
    I think my paranoia caused me to be prey for an evil rumor. I had heard it was being discontinued, but it seems to be alive and kicking - thank goodness!

Quote Originally Posted by Margareta
    I have used three bottles of Ispahan during the 80`s and 90´s, and I liked it very much.

The most similar, as far as I know, is Prada. It is also dark and dry.

But there are so many frags I haven´t tried, you can get better suggestions, I guess.
    Thanks! I just love it. I had to buy some on eBay. I'm afraid one day there won't be any left.

Quote Originally Posted by musse
    Venezia and Sotto Voce, both by Laura Biagiotti. Also Crèpe de Chine and the ORIGINAL versions of Je Reviens and Chantilly.
    How about Roma? Is that one discontinued too? That one is so pretty.

I also am a fan of Grandiflorum scents...especially Absinthe. They're discontinued too.

Venezia and believe it or not Hawaiian White Ginger. I know there is HWG on Ebay, but would it be any good, I wonder? But then it's been so long ago, maybe I wouldn't like it anymore.

Ispahan I've pm'd you about Ispahan replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Pappie
    How about Roma? Is that one discontinued too? That one is so pretty.
    (
    No, I´m pretty sure Roma is not discontinued, but I came to think about another one from Laura Biagiotti that I also liked very much, which has been discontinued - Emotion.
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by tigers1901
    My choices are pretty old and obscure:
    Coty Sophia
    Borghese di Borghese
    Isadora

I saw Coty Sophia at a cool perfume shop in Philadelphia...wher i bought my old formula Lumiere and Parure

I can still find K de Krizia lurking around in HK in the parfum form. The shops are trying to get rid of it at a very reasonable price.

I used to wear Féminité du Bois but I cannot find it in HK.

There would be many in my list including Deneuve, Crepe de Chine, Chicane, Chypre, Sinan etc.

But the most upsetting to me is the relativley recent diappearance of the Victoire Gaudin Daude perfumes especially Nuit au Desert and Seve Exquise but really all at one fell swoop!!

What a tragedy!

This is for Ispahan: I would try some of the other spicy orientals like Caron Parfum Sacre and Fragonard Reve Indien, I remember Ispahan being very spicy.

I miss Faberge Tigress and the CDG green line, and Gobin Daude Biche dans L'Absinthe.
    Last edited by SniffR; 27th January 2007 at 09:21 PM.

Post Re: your favorite discontinued frags

The original Montana Parfum De Peau. I bought two bottles of what must be the 'reorchestrated' version last year from ebay and I was so disappointed. It used to have a lovely fruity peach note but without it the fragrance seems quite bitter and flat. Perhaps the bottles hadn't been stored properly, I don't know, but the original scent was stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Goddess_Dreams
    Ahhh, that would most definitely be Venezia by Laura Biagiotti!
    Hi Goddess,
    If you go to FragranceNet.com, and go to Venezia, you can put your name on a list and they will send you a coupon for it when it comes in. My name is on it (still waiting though) and it is the authentic scent, although I'm not sure where they're getting it from or how much it will cost. $$$$$ ?

The original Nina, Fleur de fleurs also by Nina Ricci, Eau de Patou and the original Armani scent for women.

Unhappy Re: your favorite discontinued frags

Unfortunately, I have this habit of falling in love with limited releases, like:

Guerlain With Love (my wedding day fragrance)
    Escada Rockin' Rio
    Calvin Klein Eternity Rose Blush
    Ellen Tracy Imagine Shimmer
    L'Artisan Mandarine Tout Simplement
    The Fleur de Sephora line

Apres l'Ondee in the pur parfum formulation. It's completely beyond me why Guerlain discontinued it.

Guerlain Meteorites. I love iris and violets, and this was a really pretty use of both flowers. I don't enjoy Insolence (which several SAs suggested as a substitute) at all; that berry note doesn't work for me at all.

Penhaligon's Night Scented Stocks was a beautiful rendition of a beautiful flower. No idea what they were thinking when they dropped it from the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeezeweasel

Guerlain Meteorites. I love iris and violets, and this was a really pretty use of both flowers. I don't enjoy Insolence (which several SAs suggested as a substitute) at all; that berry note doesn't work for me at all.
    Meteorites pops up from time to time on eBay.

=

current favorites:
    =

Smile Re: your favorite discontinued frags

Venezia by LB was a favorite...also from the mid eighties I loved Eau de Gucci. Ahh those were the days.
    When I smell good, I feel good! Sounds easy doesn't it? It is...a pleasant scent is great for good moods!!

By from Dolce and Gabbana...Anybody know where i can get some?

Some of these go way back, but if I could still have them, I would:
    Avon Sweet Honesty
    Yardley Chique (I wish wish WISH I could still get that, it was the most gorgeous citrusy spicy utterly unique smell. I felt so sophisticated wearing that at age 16!)
    Crabree & Evelyn Gardenia
    Coty Monsoon (I have 2 bottles of this left, so I'm OK for a good while yet)
    Jean Patou Un Amour de Patou
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by sshak13 View Post
    By from Dolce and Gabbana...Anybody know where i can get some?
    You can still get this. I see it for sale on the shelves at Sephora all the time. Probably available on their website too.

=

current favorites:
    =

Quote Originally Posted by mochi227 View Post
    You can still get this. I see it for sale on the shelves at Sephora all the time. Probably available on their website too.
    I used to see By for Men at Sephora all the time less than 2 years ago. It has mysteriously disappeared from all stores and even online shops. To my shock I saw a bottle sell for over $200 on ebay,
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

some of the online sellers have it at a nice discount...try parfum1.com