Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: your favorite discontinued frags

Although it's not as long discontinued as some of the scents mentioned above, I can't understand why Helmut Lang Cuiron is out of production, I hope they regret their decission and reissue it soon.
    Last edited by Gus; 19th April 2007 at 07:02 AM.
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

Hello and welcome ISPAHAN

I was going to mourn that loss here too! Actually it was sort of YR's knock off version of Opium, and I wore it as my sig for many years. I recently emailed YR about it and they said that they were always trying to cover the latest trends, so other products have to leave No thanks, I'm not into strawberry marmalade.

The ones that are closest to it and still on the market are:

Nu YSL
    KL by Lagerfeld
    Opium

Now my late candidates:

Montana Just Me (could also replace Ispahan, my all time favourite mainstream spicy oriental, still available on the net)
    Fendi Theorema
    Krazy Krizia
    Escada Collection
    YR Venice
    Chaos

FdB is still officially available in Germany btw.

Riviera dei Fiori near Sanremo and Alassio

The original Vent Vert
    Le de
    The original Fidji extrait
    Aqua Manda & Aqua Citra Goya
    Graffiti Roberto Capucci
    Roberta di Camerino, the first (1973) a squared dark green bottle Murano glass
    Ainsi Atkinson's
    A, quales ego mane rosas procedere vidi!
    Nascebantur adhuc neque erat par omnibus aetas.

Guerlain's Mahora (though it was renamed & now they charge a huge amount at the Guerlain Boutique)
    Kors by Michael Kors
    Escada Collection
    Michelle by Balenciaga
    ***Adding original JALA by Calypso St. Barth
    Last edited by tinker424; 20th April 2007 at 02:23 AM. Reason: added Jala

Guerlain Djedi - Just sampled it and it's fabulous, it could be a favourite, if only I can find it.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Quote Originally Posted by mochi227 View Post
    The boys do this on their side quite a bit, but I did a search and in the FFD we have not have a thread dedicated to discontinued frags.

Why OH WHY do the houses discontinue what are often their BEST formulations? Could it be that we perfume lovers with our more refined tastes and exacting demands be out of step with the mainstream when it comes to scents? Well, duh but were those scents that got discontinued selling so poorly that they had to be put down? Anyone with industry experience who can answer WHY frags are discontinued, please let us know, but in the meantime, let's have 'em...

What are your most mourned discontinued frags?

Off the top of my head I'll say Victoria's Secret Basic Instinct (sexy port wine and blackberries!, but not gourmand, just sexxxxy), which I just bought today at eBay for a decent price.

Avon Occur! Why this lovely leather number? And the entire Rare series (sapphires and emeralds especially)

Todd Oldham (don't go snatching up my eBay supply I've got my eyes on now!). I guarantee there will be renewed interest in this now that Oldham will be hosting Bravo's new designer reality show "Top Designer." Cognac-y, vanillic, sweet but in a very sensuous way, creamy honey delight.

Aramis New West (for him and her) and Havana. This discontinuation makes NO SENSE at all. These frags are loved by so many. New West For Her fetches upwards of $60 on eBay. I used to buy it for a song at Bradlees when I was a teen. Why OH WHY?!

Guerlain Mahora. So I've heard it will be re-released with a new name. Not holding my breath. I thought this was another winner entry in the Guerlain canon of oriental classics.

I can't think of any more right now...it's too depressing

What are yours?
    Havana has been discontinued? I'd better pick up a bottle!

O Pour Homme by Lancôme
    Attitude by Armani
    Notorious by Ralph Lauren
    Jil Sander Feeling Man
    Miracle Homme by Lancôme
    Polo Crest by Ralph Lauren...

Coromandel

Theorema Esprit d'ete

Lol, I was initially surprised that I hadn't already posted to this thread, then I noticed it's from 2007. Oh well, a few of these were probably discontinued since then, so might as well make it current.

Discontinued favorites, I've got a lot of 'em....

Guerlain Iris Ganache
    Gucci No1
    Gucci No3
    L'Arte di Gucci
    Deneuve
    Fabergé Babe
    Revillon Detchema
    Calvin Klein for women, the original in the glossy burgundy box
    Royal Copenhagen Flora Danica
    Rochas Mystère
    Capucci Yendi
    Yves Rocher 8e Jour
    Cartier So Pretty
    Ralph Lauren Tuxedo
    Avon Occur! and Topaze
    Balenciaga Prélude and Cristobal
    Molyneux Vivre and Gauloise
    Charles of the Ritz

Of course, this is just completely discontinued, no longer produced fragrances, and doesn't take into account all the reformulations that have rendered the current versions unrecognizable ...or it would be a *lot* longer.
    Last edited by Evangeline; 20th May 2014 at 01:15 PM.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Among ladies fragrances, a surprisingly good fragrance from the affordable German manufacturer 4711/Muehlens: Extase Musk, a rich, leathery mature musk with a certain sense of mysterious beauty to it.

Dolce & Gabbana - D & G original formulation 1992. Have not seen aldehydes used in a perfume like this thesedays.

Dolce & Gabbana - Sicily. Released 1995. Wonderful exotic soapy fragrance. Similar to above.

Cartier - Le Baiser du Dragon. Released 2003. Fantastic fragrance! Boozy cognac and amaretto liqueur with strong patchouli. I'm a man but I absolutely loved wearing this one. One of the best female-marketed designer scents ever in my opinion.

Gucci Eau de Parfum. Released 2003. The last great female release Gucci ever made in my opinion. Supervised by Tom Ford himself. Powdery heliotrope and strong Leather, with spices and herbs. Again a beautiful leather fragrance for women which I love wearing as a man. I don't see leather in hardly any women's designer releases thesedays!

Yves Saint-Laurent - Opium Secret de Parfum. Released 2003. Wonderful spicy, very resinous, balmy oriental, full of oppoponax and heavy myrrh. So deep and rich!

Also Guerlain - Mahora (2000), beautiful exotic tropical floral. Chanel No. 5 Eau de Cologne (1921), Un Touche de Naf Naf (1991), Crabtree & Evelyn - Savannah Gardens (1984).

and finally... Gucci No. 1 (1974). Mossy, bright aldehydic spicy floral. Very hard to describe. Very strong, classic Gucci, very old-school Italian style 70's female fragrance... and something that a real, confidant, amazing woman would smell like!
    Last edited by tempest moon; 20th May 2014 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tempest moon View Post
    ...and finally... Gucci No. 1 (1974). Mossy, bright aldehydic spicy floral. Very hard to describe. Very strong, classic Gucci, very old-school Italian style 70's female fragrance... and something that a real, confidant, amazing woman would smell like!
    I think you did a *great* job describing it ...and thanks for the compliment!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    I think you did a *great* job describing it ...and thanks for the compliment!
    My pleasure. I have only been taking this hobby seriously for the past 3 years or so... but in that time I've tried some amazing stuff, including vintage Gucci No. 1. I was blown away why stuff like that isn't made any more. It's so powerful and in-control and womanly all at the same time! Guess they just don't make 'em like they used to!

^^ Nope, they sure don't. If you haven't already, you should definitely get your sniffer on some Gucci No3, also ...just gorgeous, stunning stuff, and my favorite classic floral chypre in the world.

The problem is the stuff is getting harder to find out there... But I'll tell you something, I think that thesedays we've come so far in gender association in fragrances that these older female marketed stuff could be considered almost masculine today. For example, I have tried Chanel N°19 eau de toilette and I find that it could almost work on a man. Another one which I do wear regularly is Cristalle eau de toilette, I know they aren't the same, but did you ever find the old, vintage Chanel Cristalle a little similar to Gucci No. 1? Just a hint I thought (probably the mossy vibe), but I agree that Gucci has the leather and aldehyde vibe.
    Last edited by tempest moon; 22nd May 2014 at 06:18 PM.

This is a good question and I would love to see an answer from someone in the industry. Just found this thread today.

I recently bought Mahora and love it. I understand it is very similar to Mayotte which costs a small fortune. Rumor has it Mahora was discontinued because of the name. What's wrong with the name????????

My personal opinion is that some are discontinued because the ingredients just get to hard to get. I think if they are a classic or selling well they quietly reformulate when they should probably discontinue and introduce with a totally new name. Almost everything I love has been reformulated.
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Blog Entries

Most of mine are re formulations but, Charles of the Ritz ​is certainly a stand out d/c.
    Also, Ralph Lauren- Lauren.

Hermes- Doblis,
    is fabulous and also, sadly, d/c.

This always makes me sad

Magie Noire, the real version. Lancome
    Tendre Poison Dior
    Champagne Germaine Montiel
    Deneuve Catherine Deneuve
    Original Ivoire - Balmain

And my all time favorite scent, Cinnabar, is still available, thank goodness. but all the powder ,soap, bath grains, everything is d/c. I think you can still get the lotion, but, meh. The powder was the BEST powder ever! Soft and silky and with a beautiful scent and with gold flecks that shimmered!

I scored a dusting powder on ebay recently and I'm in heaven.

I'm really upset about the reformulation of Magie Noire that you can still get on the Lancome website, it's AWFUL.

Besides reformulations (mainly Guerlains and Opium), I am really missing the original Bob Mackie perfume in the round bubble bottle. It smelled wonderful!

"Most of mine are re formulations but, Charles of the Ritz ​is certainly a stand out d/c.
    Also, Ralph Lauren- Lauren."

Paula, Ralph Lauren-Lauren has been discontinued? Say it isn't so. That is one of my favorites. I still have a bottle that I've never opened and I also have the bath powder plus a bottle that is about half used.

Another I like that has been discontinued is Jo Malone Vintage Gardenia. It is really quite wonderful when paired with Jo Malone French Lime Blossom.

I have reached the conclusion that my luck with perfumes is turning into my luck with lipstick shades. Whenever I find one I like it is immediately discontinued almost from the moment it touches my lips. C'est la vie.
    Betsy
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Blog Entries

Betsy, this is the one I mean. The original had green violet leaves as a main note. It was unlike anything else. I don't know if it was re released. Maybe, but if so, I don't think it came close to the original. Maybe you can still get the remake?

Deneuve
    L'Artisan Oeillet Sauvage
    L'Artisan La Haie Fleurie du Hameau
    Shiseido Nombre Noir
    Caron La Fete des Roses
    Caron With Pleasure

Paula, that is the one that I have. Don't think I've worn it in a long time. Maybe I'll make that my scent of the day.

Another one of my favorites that has been discontinued is Gucci Envy. I was lucky enough to snag a couple of extras before it was all gone.

OT - If anyone on this list likes Illuminum they are moving from Henri Bendel and have not yet found a new home although the sales associate told me Saks was a possibility. If you are in the States and you want something from Illuminum best get it now if you are in the New York area. They will be there 6 more weeks but supplies are not being replenished.
    Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Went through my perfume drawer and found another of my favorites that is discontinued - Beverly Hills Camp. It was great in the summer. Does anybody remember this?

So far I have the following ones I liked that are gone:

Jo Malone Vintage Gardenia with Cardamom & Myrrh
    Ralph Lauren Lauren
    Lanvin My Sin
    Beverly Hills Camp
    Gucci Envy
    Houbigant Essence Rare
    Margaretha Ley Escada (the original)
    Chanel Chanel No. 5 Voile
    Elizabeth Arden Exhilirators
    Laura Ashley No. 1
    Kenzo Parfum d'Été

My hard learned life lesson for the day - if you like a perfume go buy an extra bottle while you can still get it.,
    Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Just few for now, too depressing to go through the whole list.

Gucci Envy
    Gucci Pour Homme I
    Nasomatto Nuda
    Patou Eau de Patou (tried the reissue but sadly not as good as the original)
    Patou Pour Homme ^ditto
    Shiseido Eau de Parfum Aromatique
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

I've got a guaranteed way to get a perfume discontinued- all I have to do is to start liking it.

Gucci No 3
    GIvenchy III
    Proper old Miss Dior (none of your 'Originale' nonsense!)
    Miss Balmain
    Gucci Envy
    Parfums de Nicolai Patchouli Intense
    Karl Lagerfeld KL
    Panthere de Cartier
    Lancome Sagamore

Also reformulated beyond recognition:

Givenchy Gentleman
    Balmain Ivoire
    Cabochard
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

My list goes like this :/.... Nu edp, the original Feminite du bois, Madame X, Midnight Violet and I think Trouble is discontinued too

Blog Entries

Well, if we're talking reformulations the list is a mile long. I'll start with Hermes Doblis which I just found in my sample drawer. OMG- it is even more beautiful than Djedi! I never thought I'd be jonesing for another d/c frag!

[QUOTE=sfmedusa;3163961]I've got a guaranteed way to get a perfume discontinued- all I have to do is to start liking it.

Me too!
    Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Venezia Uomo and the original Battistoni Marte

-Mark
    Using Tapatalk

Fendi Theorema definitely!

Adolfo. Frances Denney. Fortunately I can still find it occasionally on ebay and the likes, and if it has been well cared for it still smells utterly divine.
    Bel Respiro, I adore you... but my heart belongs to another.

I still miss Gucci 3, Hermes Amazone, Armani Woman and the original Ivoire de Balmain. Fond memories. But happily, I just found a bottle of Gucci 3 on ebay. I hope it's the real thing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    “Let the beauty we love, be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.” -Rumi