Code of Conduct

Question Rose + Lavender mistake! How can I save this?

This is what happens when I get bored. I poured 30ml of TBS Tea Rose into 50ml of water soluble lavender essential oil (which I some times use neat on my skin.) I shook it around and opened the bottle. It smelled like an intense, heady, green, heady, very heady, sharp, very heady tea rose. Did I mention it was heady? It has massive sillage too! I got negative feedback.

I put it away in a closet for a year to "settle" and now I'm ready to do something about it. I am wondering how to save this mixture? I thought of adding 5ml of either:

Nemat Ambre Liquid
    Nemat Frankincense
    Nemat White Musk

Or 5 drops of the following:
    Frankincense EO
    Clove EO
    Sandalwood EO
    Ylang Ylang EO
    Nemat Cinnamon

Or should I add a few drops of each? Any other suggestions?

I live in Australia and decanting supplies (vials, roll-on bottles etc...) are difficult to find so in case you ask me to try the mixture with different scents in a variety of "brewing pots" then it's not entire practical. I mixed it in an empty No. 5 glass colonge bottle. I think there was some No. 5 residue in there but I did rise and dry the bottle before starting.

Thanks. :-)
    "Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
    - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Smile Re: Rose + Lavender mistake! How can I save this?

Lavender eo is some potent stuff. I would try adding "sweets " to it first to see if you could take the edge off. By sweets I mean stuff like the amber or vanilla , tolu balsam ....etc. You may also try to smooth things out with the sandalwood. Lavender is tenacious.

Default Re: Rose + Lavender mistake! How can I save this?

Thank you Mstrocovie. I was starting to think I could use it as bug repellent (or human repellent.)

I don't mind if it smells masculine as long as it's not so sharp. Maybe I should try putting some sandalwood in it.
    "Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."

Blog Entries

I think the sheer potency maybe the problem here.

I know you said no fiddly decanting into little bottles but this is worth a try:

decant 0.5 - 1ml of your elixir into a 5ml decant bottle and top it up with jojoba oil / fractionated coconut oil / Everclear / 90% proof vodka or what ever else you use as a base for your home made perfumes. Let it settle for a day or so but see if that makes it easier to wear for you.

I find commercial perfume, Givenchy Amarige way too potent to wear spritzed straight from the bottle, no matter how lightly I apply. I find that it is the equivalent of parfum strength for me.

Anyway, I diluted 2ml of the EDT in 8ml oil (I'll use alcohol next time) and now find it very easy / wonderful to wear. I wore it layered with my beloved Gres Cabochard the other day and received a few spontaneous compliments!

This will be good also because at the less potent strength you will be able to discern what is truly missing or what may work for the blend. I think good old vanilla (balsamic, true vanilla essence smell like Yves Rocher Vanille Bourbon) would work quite well because it blends well with rose and lavender, smoothing sharp edges and giving a wonderful chocolatey base without clashing with either or making it too heavy / woody.

HTH
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Moondeva. Do you think - and this can be a stupid question - I can use actual vanilla extract or vanillin, the kind for making cakes? It's so much easier to find than a straight vanilla oil.

I have been looking high and low for a good vanilla (TBS Vanilla used to be a good one before it was reformulated), but most of the blends are too flowery or fruity and some smell like plastic. I'd need at least 5 ml to fix this.

I'll try your suggestion of using jojoba oil or alcohol to dilute it. :-)

Excited about the vanilla oil possibility as I might get a Jicky clone on the cheap!

Blog Entries

A great vanilla oil that you should have access to is Spiritual Sky Vanilla. It is very similar to your beloved 90's version of TBS Vanilla. It works well used straight on my skin (no adverse reaction) but is extremely potent as it is primarily a fragrance oil for burning. Again I apply over oil or dilute (1-2ml in 5ml bottle) for a safe oil with a similar potency to the earlier TBS oils.

The Yves Rocher Vanille Bourbon is also a very affordable vanilla and one which I think would work very well in your blend since it is sweet, true vanilla but not cloying, with a slight smokey balsamic quality that I think will work very well with the lavender (as it does in Guerlain Jicky and Caron Pour Un Homme). I shall throw in a decant in your parcel.

I am a little worried that you may be working at too great a level of potency with your scent. I mean - adding a load of vanilla oil or EDT to your batch to fix it can easily result in a mess and you having to throw the whole lot out. Which would be such a waste, as it sounds rather intriguing a mix at the moment...

You could try decant a wee vial and adding a few drops of pure vanilla extract (remember proportions), letting it sit for a while (fortnight minimum) and then seeing if that has worked. If it hasn't no biggy because you won't have wasted the whole batch. Sorry, if I sound patronising / condescending, i just don't want you to end up losing all of your great oil by making one small mistake. Like you say - you may have the makings of a great little Jicky -like on your hands!

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Thanks Moondeva. You don't sound patronising at all. I'm pretty new to this fiddling and mixing. I've attempted it twice before and always gave away/threw out the results.

Where can I obtain Spiritual Sky Vanilla or Yves Rocher? I don't know any store that carries them (in Australia). I'm hoping to get them online.

By the way, I'll be happy to receive empty vials or decant bottles in any package you send me. It's a real hassle to get them online because of shipping. :-}

I'm a little scared of using a burner oil in the mix but I guess I'll try everything out by decanting into smaller containers.

Thanks for the tip.

Default Pepper or tea tree

I can see how lavender and rose mightn't dance very nicely in the flask; the comments regarding potency issues also made a lot of sense.

I don't know if you've already reworked your fragrance, or if you have any of the original mix left, but if you do, consider adding black pepper or a miniscule quantity of tea tree oil.

The reasoning (this doesn't take unforseeable chemical interactions, btw):
    It is certainly possible to come across the blending of lavender and rose scents in an unbottled setting (e.g. a garden), and there's no reason it shouldn't smell lovely, and very fresh. But fragrances tend to get very concentrated and focussed in the bottle, and background notes that contribute to the original/desired effect may be absent.

The thing to do would be to find a note or accord that interact very attractively with both. Pepper is lovely with rose, and interestingly harmonious with lavender, so adding a bit of this EO could pull the fragrance together. When highly diluted, tea tree oil smells like fresh rain, another note which could provide a backdrop for lavender and rose to join more gently.

This type approach may be found in fragrances such as CdG's "Harissa" which marries angelica and orange; it could be a disaster (and is, if your personal chemistry doesn't bring out the notes in their effective balance ), but notes of clove and other spices bring together what would otherwise be discordant.

If the fragrance is already very strong, adding anything sweet may move it over the event horizon of "migraine city", so I'd try only a portion of your current blend if you want to try this.

Default Re: Pepper or tea tree

Thank you that makes a lot of sense. I haven't done anything to it yet so I will have a full ounce (at least 1 ounce, maybe 2) of the rose-lavender mix. I'm going try mixing little batches with different types of oils to see which makes the best result.

So far I'm thinking of:
    1. white musk
    2. ylang
    3. clove
    4. amber
    5. vanilla essence or vanillin (the type for baking.)
    6. cinnamon
    7. frankincense

I think clove is the best candidate so far. I might also try to get my hands on some perfumers alcohol. I'll let everyone know how it turns out! :-)

Thanks for the tips! :-)
    Last edited by MysteryFemme; 16th January 2007 at 02:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    I think the sheer potency maybe the problem here.

I know you said no fiddly decanting into little bottles but this is worth a try:

decant 0.5 - 1ml of your elixir into a 5ml decant bottle and top it up with jojoba oil / fractionated coconut oil / Everclear / 90% proof vodka or what ever else you use as a base for your home made perfumes. Let it settle for a day or so but see if that makes it easier to wear for you.

I find commercial perfume, Givenchy Amarige way too potent to wear spritzed straight from the bottle, no matter how lightly I apply. I find that it is the equivalent of parfum strength for me.

Anyway, I diluted 2ml of the EDT in 8ml oil (I'll use alcohol next time) and now find it very easy / wonderful to wear. I wore it layered with my beloved Gres Cabochard the other day and received a few spontaneous compliments!

This will be good also because at the less potent strength you will be able to discern what is truly missing or what may work for the blend. I think good old vanilla (balsamic, true vanilla essence smell like Yves Rocher Vanille Bourbon) would work quite well because it blends well with rose and lavender, smoothing sharp edges and giving a wonderful chocolatey base without clashing with either or making it too heavy / woody.

HTH
    I love reading your suggestions! You're so knowledgeable and have great advice on fragrance combos!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pappie
    I love reading your suggestions! You're so knowledgeable and have great advice on fragrance combos!
    Thank you, I just love perfumes and cannot resist mixing them for new and wonderful combinations!

I hope to see you taking part in the next Great Layering Challenge thread to be launched tomorrow! Another opportunity for more mischief and mayhem...

I'd first like to know what is your goal with this scent in particular you want to create, i mean, in what category would you place it and what do you want to change it to?
    If i can say something, i'd say first dilute the "base" a tenfold or so, then you can play up with some bergamot, the ylang and the white musk (i know you didn't list bergamot as one of your choices but it will help i think), the clove is very tricky so i'd leave it out for a while, or use it on another batch, and then use just a bit of the amber. If you can get rosemary oil, try to use a bit of it for some pretty nice, soft,dewy and green touch.

Hello Castorpollux,

I'm afraid I didn't have a goal when I poured the rose oil into the lavender. It was 2003 and I was pre-frag board(s) so I didn't know what I was doing at the time. I might have thought that I was saving shelf space! Of course now that I've started visiting fragrance boards and blogs (including basenotes) I know that random mixing can produce undesired results.

Anyway... when I took out the bottle again this year I still got a sharp "bug spray" accord and I wanted to do something to save the scent.

So far I have added ylang and lemon oil. I sniffed all my options and I tried putting some of the rose-lavender mix on my skin with some vanilla and the results were almost "fecal" (maybe the vanilla I used had a musk base that was wrong for the lavender) so I thought it would be safer to add either lemon, bergamot or orange to it.

The mixture now contains:

15 ml TBS tea rose (vintage)
    20 ml water soluble lavender essential oil
    20 drops lemon essential oil
    15 drops ylang ylang essential oil

It's in an old No. 5 cologne bottle so I admit it looks pretty cool. I shook it up a bit and asked my mother to smell it. She said it smells good enough to eat. I'm going to leave it at her house for maybe a year so that I don't tamper with it more. I have decanted some into a 10ml roller-ball bottle for myself and I will smell it again after 4 weeks so see how the scent has developed.

At the moment the only thing I can smell is the lemon. We'll wait and see. :-)

Thanks for the tip.

I'm a total newbie to all of this, but moondeva took all the words right out of my mouth and added wisdom I can only hope to aquire in the future. I immediately thought you may simply have a potency proplem. As has been suggested, oils that smell harsh or overpowering in perfume strength often smell better, or even downright luscious in edt or lighter dilutions.

It might be adviseable to dilute all of the notes you intent to add, as well as the orininal mix. This may help with controlling proportions. Then, once you find a formula that works well you can try it in perfume strength and see how it compares to the edt. Furthermore, once you make the perfume, you can dilute it back to edt strength and see how it compares to the original edt formula.

I've been addicted to the smell of Allspice lately. I recently found out that it is indeed a singular spice and not a mix of Cinnamon, Clove and Black Pepper as was commonly believed. If you can find it in perfume oil, it may make a good addition to the formula. I've heard Jamaican Allspice is the best.

Good Luck!,
    EB

Baby food jars are easy to resterilize and make handy little containers, complete with lids. The smallest are the little meat jars. If you don't know anyone with a baby, a daycare might save them for you to pick up. It seems they would make nice little cooking pots for a year's maturation of fragrance.

Cute. Baby food jars. Anyway.

I did something today. I put 10ml into an empty amber bottle and added 10ml of perfumer's alcohol with 2 drops of geranium oil and 6 drops of sandalwood.

I'm getting tired of this. I can only smell geranium and alcohol now. Mind you, I didn't have to go messing with it since the lemon and ylang added to the rose-lavender mix was starting to smell quite nice and as edible as my mother had said it was (the rest of the original solution is still at her house, I just took a decant home with me.)

Anyway. I feel like throwing the baby out with the bath water - so to speak. I don't know why I bought the geranium oil - waste of 10 bucks. It smelled... not... as nice as it did in the store. I think the tester bottle had been open for a while, thus the oil had developed a different quality from the one that I bought which was sealed. The tester was sweeter somehow, more floral. The one I took home turned out to be earthy and not sweet. Strange.

Anyway. Now I've created something that smells like geranium tea and vodka.

So... the wait continues.