Code of Conduct

Thread: Big Compliment

Default Big Compliment

This evening I got a big compliment on my cologne from a younger woman (20-23 yo) She begged me to tell her what cologne it was. I just told her it was "old school" and smiled.
    "Is it Tommy?"
    "Older" smile

I was wearing Z-14 (9.99 from Marshalls)

Thrax

Default Re: Big Compliment

It is a sad person who mistakes Tommy for Halston Z-14...

She's a 20-23-year-old, Thrax, giver her a break! :-)
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Thrax

Thats like comparing a Chevy Lumina to a Corvette. You dont have to be a rocket surgeon to see there is a huge difference. Z-14 makes me cringe. My dad wears it all the time though and it smells pretty damn good on him.

I'm happy to see another user who likes the 'Z. We don't talk about it enough here on BN.
    I've never had a compliment on it, but I wear it for myself. It feels/smells like a sort of melancholy autumn day.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

My Wardrobe

Seems I'm going to have to try the Z's out! I'm an Old Skool type a' guy myself!
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Read a previous thread of mine from a few months back about my compliment experience...

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

I'm on the flip side of the Halston fan base. I-12 has been my signiture summer frag for over 20 yrs, and to countless compliments. I think it just adores my skin. I tested the Z at the same time as the I-12 and hated the Z, but recently I gave it another try and I was surprised to find I liked it - sort of. It goes on a bit rough, but it drys down nicely. I-12 is still my summer graille (sp) though. Has either been the SOTD?

nearfantastica

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax
    Thats like comparing a Chevy Lumina to a Corvette. You dont have to be a rocket surgeon to see there is a huge difference. Z-14 makes me cringe. My dad wears it all the time though and it smells pretty damn good on him.
    Hey dude, I owned a Chevy Lumina... back off Heh.. it was sky-blue.. the ugliest thing I've seen since the digital pictures of when I went out for Hallowe'en as Jackie O...... I digress.

a.

Think I still have a Members Only jacket in the closet that smells like my Z-14.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax
    It is a sad person who mistakes Tommy for Halston Z-14...
    One time this girl at work asked me if i was wearing JOOP!.

I was wearing Kouros.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

You know, for guys 30 and over I think Z-14 is a fine scent. Manly, spicy, very sensual scent. Keep it at 2-3 sprays.

Now, for me, I prefer Michael Kors when I want the same effect.

For the money, Z-14 is a great buy. I'd wear it before I reached for the Drakkar. Even though that's Gordon over Earnhardt.....gggggrrrrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW

For the money, Z-14 is a great buy. I'd wear it before I reached for the Drakkar. Even though that's Gordon over Earnhardt.....gggggrrrrrrr

Ah, that's right. I had forgotten about that race car driver thing. Still, I think there's probably a tiny percentage of people who:
    -Notice what you're wearing
    -Can tell what you're wearing
    -Are familiar with the whole NASCAR sponsorship thing
    -Would assume that you like race cars, too
    -Would bother telling you any of this

I know that I haven't received any comments on it (and I work with a few hundred rabid NASCAR fans.
    But in the end, you know, all things being equal, I think I'd rather wear a perfume 'sponsored' by a race car driver than an actor

I consider Z-14 and Drakkar Noir to be close buddies. Z-14 is the Carhardt work jacket, and DN is the work jacket after it's been washed and sprayed with some perfume.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

My Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Q
    Think I still have a Members Only jacket in the closet that smells like my Z-14.
    LOL!
    I used to have one of those ! (not anymore: got good advice )

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl
    One time this girl at work asked me if i was wearing JOOP!.

I was wearing Kouros.
    LoL, thats like my folks calling every new video game console a "nintendo"..
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    LoL, thats like my folks calling every new video game console a "nintendo"..
    LOL
    God, I am looking forward to the Nintendo 3 and LOVE my nintendo 360
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by greyhueofdoubt
    I'm happy to see another user who likes the 'Z. We don't talk about it enough here on BN.
    I've never had a compliment on it, but I wear it for myself. It feels/smells like a sort of melancholy autumn day.
    -ben
    I have a huge collector's bottle . Love it on myself - reminds me of Maxim's pour homme and Clinique Aromatics Elixir. Very woody, mossy and autumnal as you have said! There is also a touch of the rich leather in the base found in Aramis pour homme. SO, who wears Chanel Antaeus and Xeryus Rouge, thinks it's foul stuff when sniffed / on him, but I'm not asking him to wear it!

Definitely Ol' Skool!
    Last edited by moondeva; 14th January 2007 at 02:00 AM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *