Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: What should be our SSD SOTD?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bulgari Black

9 8.33%
  • Burberry Brit

3 2.78%
  • Egoiste

9 8.33%
  • Dior Homme

16 14.81%
  • Fahrenheit

4 3.70%
  • Envy for men

8 7.41%
  • Cannabis Santal

1 0.93%
  • L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme

2 1.85%
  • Rive Gauche

10 9.26%
  • Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme

5 4.63%
  • Gaultier²

2 1.85%
  • Givenchy Pi

3 2.78%
  • Dzing!

7 6.48%
  • A*Men

1 0.93%
  • The Dreamer

5 4.63%
  • L'Air du Desert Marocain {spit!} :-)

5 4.63%
  • Chergui

1 0.93%
  • Green Irish Tweed

7 6.48%
  • Body Kouros

6 5.56%
  • Le Troisieme Homme (3rd man)

4 3.70%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb Same Scent Day: Experiment

How about this for a crazy idea: we designate one day, one special day that will be known as the Same Scent Day when everyone's Scent of the Day is the same scent?

We could take a poll and after we've chosen the scent, everyone participating posts to the SOTD thread--to show they're participating--and then, afterwards all participants post their take on the SSD. What was the frag like on you, the drydown, etc. Any compliments? Etc., etc.

What do you all think?
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Blog Entries

Default Re: Same Scent Day: Experiment

We already do this . It's called Scent Synchronization Day. Our last one was in September...perhaps it's time for another one??
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

i vote Bvlgari Black
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

Let's do something more risky this time. How about Chergui?

How about something a lot of people would have access to? I don't doubt there are a lot of members who own Creeds and other niche houses, but then again there are those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie
    We already do this . It's called Scent Synchronization Day. Our last one was in September...perhaps it's time for another one??
    Proving the old truism that there's nothing new under the sun! Thanks, CJ!

I think it'd be great, but we obviously need to choose something that is "common", by which I mean in quantity not quality!

I'll put in a poll.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LeMâle
    How about something a lot of people would have access to? I don't doubt there are a lot of members who own Creeds and other niche houses, but then again there are those who don't.
    ifconfig & LeMale have the right idea. This only works if it's a frag that the many members have a bottle of, or can easily get a decant or sample from a department store or from a fellow basenoter. The goal is to get as many people to participate as possible!!!

The last scent synchronization day was back in september as said CJ (and I couldn't be in since I didn't own the juice ) so it's time for another one for sure, hoping to be able to participate this time.
    Moreover, actually dear Riannon&Co on the female board are close to have a whole Lutens themed week, so why not to ride the horse and get in also from our baby naughty boys side?
    Btw, I'll be at least partially in!

Blog Entries

It should also be said that GIT was our SSD scent last year, too. A great scent, for sure, but we should probably pick something else this time . Anyone remember what the one before GIT was?

It should also be said that GIT was our SSD scent last year, too. A great scent, for sure, but we should probably pick something else this time . Anyone remember what the one before GIT was?
    The ones I remember has been GIT and Mugler Cologne. Haven't been around long enough to remember the earlier ones...

Voted for Le Troisieme Homme (3rd man), one I've been curious about for some time. I'm 100% certain it won't win this round looking back on previous votings for SSD:s. Let's try and not be overly predicatable please, more fun (inmo) that way!

I voted for 3rd man too.
    -

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Same Scent Day: Experiment

I voted for Dolce and Gabbana Pour Homme as I think that might be the one scent on the list more Basenoters might have in their collection. But hey! ..what the heck do I know!

I would also be willing to send out some small tube samples decanted from my own bottle to a dozen or so Basenoters who dont have D & G Pour Homme at my expense (stamp/envelope/wrapping/vials if I could get some in time). I just need a quick and inexpensive small order source of the small sample vials to do it.

Anyone else willing to do the same? We should be able to get this organized if D & G is the choice, otherwise, I will do the same with any other scent chosen that I own in bottle size. (See my Wardrobe)
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

I voted for Gaultier² for several reasons: It's a great scent, it's extremely accessible, and it's unisex (so the ladies can join in if they like). Plus, the TV commercial rocks... "I've got to have you..."

P.S.: Our past SSDs were for (in order, from most to least recent): Mugler Cologne, GIT, Azzaro Visit, and Guerlain Vetiver.
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310
    I voted for Gaultier² for several reasons: It's a great scent, it's extremely accessible, and it's unisex (so the ladies can join in if they like). Plus, the TV commercial rocks... "I've got to have you..."

P.S.: Our past SSDs were for (in order, from most to least recent): Mugler Cologne, GIT, Azzaro Visit, and Guerlain Vetiver.
    I'm glad you voted for Gaultier2 . I was on the fence between this & Bvlgari Black. I ended up going for BB. I remember that Bvlgari Black was the runner up frag when Mugler Cologne won. And I think more people probably own BB than G2. But, I wouldn't shed a tear if G2 won .

I'm pretty sure that A*men was chosen for a past SSD.

Oh, and my vote goes for the Dreamer! I think that this is a great scent that nearly everyone can appreciate (as long as you give it a few wearings).

Jeff
    Last edited by wicozani; 12th January 2007 at 05:42 PM.

Perhaps you could make it possible to select multiple options? I selected D&G but I wouldn't mind following another selection.

Once again, like in the 'Masterpiece' thread, Egoiste is in the lead. Will it keep that lead, I wonder?

I'd like to put together some questions for SSD participants to answer, such as:

How many sprays or dabs?
    Where?
    10 minutes after application, what are your impressions?
    Ask a family member for their opinion: did they like it? What were their descriptive?
    Half-way through the day (4 hours after initial application), do you still smell it?
    What are your impressions at that time?
    What's the sillage like, do you think? Did anyone notice and comment?
    Ask a co-worker if they can smell your perfume, if you feel comfortable doing that. What are their impressions, descriptives?
    What are your normal activities during the day (office, etc.)?
    What are your end of day impressions? Still going strong or mellow or non-existent?
    Ask someone if they can smell your frag at this point. Impressions?

Anything else you'd like to know so we can compare the answers?

Thanks!

I voted Genvy... Delicious! I think Egoiste is winning, but not as many people have access to it. Even fragrance stores like Perfume Pizzaz are no longer offering samples or even a test spray of it.
    - Rich

I voted for Fahrenheit because of the recent thread.

i think dior homme is winning....
    wow never knew so much people like it...
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

I didn't participate before as I did not have any of those frags at the time. I voted for Bvlgari Black because I like it and it's well spread among the community...I think.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smndrummer
    I voted Genvy... Delicious! I think Egoiste is winning, but not as many people have access to it. Even fragrance stores like Perfume Pizzaz are no longer offering samples or even a test spray of it.
    - Rich
    I agree...

Remember, all, that this isn't necessarily a "best frag" contest out of these selections, it's more of a question of what the majority of members either have or could easily get access to a sample.

Wow, 52 votes with Dior Homme leading the way!! Amazing. Keep it up people.

Blog Entries

I'm just bumping the thread, I hope no one minds!

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent
    The last scent synchronization day was back in september as said CJ (and I couldn't be in since I didn't own the juice ) so it's time for another one for sure, hoping to be able to participate this time.
    Moreover, actually dear Riannon&Co on the female board are close to have a whole Lutens themed week, so why not to ride the horse and get in also from our baby naughty boys side?
    Btw, I'll be at least partially in!
    HEAR ! HEAR!
    Get those naughty boys over to the Lutens week, shall we?
    Do we ladies all have to douse ourselves with Tabac Blond and don the leather before this will happen?
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Well, I voted for BB because it is the only scent I own, but I would not be averse to trying to make it to my local mall and spritz myself with Gaultier 2 or even , more interesting Egoiste.
    Will be looking forward to a bottle of 3rd man soon, for my honey, can a woman wear this?
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Egoiste and Dior in a hot race! Things seem to have slowed down a bit, I wonder if I can close the polls a little earlier?

3rd Man has a wonderful lavendar that I think will be good on anyone, rtamara.

I chose Rive Gauche. I don't think I've ever seen a wardrobe that didn't end in Rive Gauche. There are several scents listed that I don't own/like as there are plenty of things I do own which make people gag and put me on their ignore list. Best of luck
    Gary

btw: 13 scents listed that I don't own.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 14th January 2007 at 07:08 PM.

13 scents ... good to know! ;-)

I voted for Dzing and apparently I'm the only one
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

Voted Fahrenheit because of its love-hate status. Also because I have it (got 8 of the 20 alternatives - and I've been a member for a month... alarming?)

Dior Homme is another properly controversial fragrance so it's a good pick as well!

Le 3e Homme
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Great idea and I like your thought on the questions to answer. In keeping with a fragrance most Basenoters may own, I vote for Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme.

I own only A*Men of the frags in the list... I need to expand my collection me thinks. But that's life being a newbie

C'mon D&G! :-)

If Dior Homme wins, I will need a sample from some generous soul

Paul
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]“Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”[/FONT]

~ Robert Brault

You got it! I'll send it along with the others, Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    I voted for Dzing and apparently I'm the only one
    Nopes, I voted for Dzing! as well, but check out all the Dior Homme love !
    -

Blog Entries

What stores is Dior Homme typically available from? Anyplace like Sephora or Nordies that'll make up a sample?

Sephora (online I believe) carries DH.

As it is beginning to look like Dior pour Homme will win out, I hope you will give at least a weeks notice as to the day it is to be worn (I may have missed it if you have already posted this info). Will give me (and others?) a weekend to obtain a sample. And since I am looking at doing some fragrance shopping this weekend, I will pick it it up then.

Absolutely! I now think waiting until the 19th for the Poll to close is a good thing, it gives people enough time to get DH (or whatever wins!).

Perfumebay.com should have samples of Dior Homme. That's where I got mine and now I'm ready.

I voted for Rive Gauche though.

I voted for LDDM spit!

Hey, wait a minute, THAT's not a Tauer fragrance!

P
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]“Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”[/FONT]

~ Robert Brault

I think instead of {spit!}, I'll use {s!} for brevity. :-) Heheh...

I was thinking of another interesting initiative this morning...
    We never had a Layering Day, a day for every member to experiment layering scents (what they want) and discussing about the results... Just an idea.

That's interesting, sure, Mag! I usually don't like layering, but I'd be willing to try something like this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent
    I was thinking of another interesting initiative this morning...
    We never had a Layering Day, a day for every member to experiment layering scents (what they want) and discussing about the results... Just an idea.
    I like it!!!

Blog Entries

Well I couldn't find a sample of Dior Homme anywhere @ the mall. The Nordies rep said that it's being discontinued??? I dunno. Anyways, if someone is willing to send me a sample, that would be fab .

Thanks to whoever stickied the thread!

Get your votes in, closes in the morning! :-)

I Am A Dior Homme Junkie. Lets Kick Some Ass With This Beauty

Well I couldn't find a sample of Dior Homme anywhere @ the mall. The Nordies rep said that it's being discontinued??? I dunno. Anyways, if someone is willing to send me a sample, that would be fab .
    They're lying to you. When a SA says something's being discontinued, you can translate it as one of four ways. "Buy this now, because I just told you it's being discontinued", "We are no longer going to carry it because it sells too well, and we don't want our customers to think we would stop carrying something when it hasn't been discontinued", "I don't know anything about fragrance, but I will say anything to get you to buy, buy, buy!", and my favorite, "I just smoked a whole pound of weed!"
    - Rich

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smndrummer
    They're lying to you. When a SA says something's being discontinued, you can translate it as one of four ways. "Buy this now, because I just told you it's being discontinued", "We are no longer going to carry it because it sells too well, and we don't want our customers to think we would stop carrying something when it hasn't been discontinued", "I don't know anything about fragrance, but I will say anything to get you to buy, buy, buy!", and my favorite, "I just smoked a whole pound of weed!"
    - Rich
    Actually...this guy has always been really nice & knowledgeable. He said they didn't have it in the store anymore, but said that Perfume Pizazz (another store in the mall) had a couple bottles last time the SA had checked. So he wasn't trying to make a sale @ his store. But he very well could have meant that Nordies just isn't going to carry it anymore. Anyways, I went up to Perfume Pizazz & they did indeed have a bottle, but they couldn't make me a sample.

Well, well, Dior Homme carries the day! I never thought that would happen.

Okay then, want to make Monday, January 22, 2007 SSD for Dior Homme?

Blog Entries

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Way too soon for everyone to obtain a sample or decant. We usually set SSD a couple weeks out after deciding on a scent.

And who wants to send me a sample??

Okay, sorry :-)

Let's set this one up for a little later, perhaps in February?

Quote Originally Posted by ifconfig
    Let's set this one up for a little later, perhaps in February?
    Thank you from down south!! I haven't got DH and as far as samples go here - about a week after a frangrance has launched, there are no more...

Quote Originally Posted by jellybean1973
    Thank you from down south!! I haven't got DH and as far as samples go here - about a week after a frangrance has launched, there are no more...
    I'm ready for the challenge with a nice silver sample. Honestly, my most controversial scent. Simetimes I find it a true beauty, other times a boring lipstick. Is there a single truth?