Code of Conduct

Default My first suit: Calvin Klein charcoal 3-button

I am starting a job with a financial services company, and needed a suit.

I opted for a beautiful dark charcoal 3-button that seems quite versatile in regard to occasion and matching with other things I wear. The cost was $400 plus tailoring, and seems reasonable since it was on sale from $550.

My arms are incredibly long, so many of the sales associates tried to convince me that a long jacket length suit would be better, but I quickly realized that the proportions of a regular length jacket would be much better. I just have long arms and legs...would they have me believe that if my thumbtips came down to my knees, that my jacket should go down to my knees? I don't think so!

I also plan on buying a few more as soon as I can afford to. In particular, I'd like a black one, a light grey, a navy, 2 pinstripes (black and grey/charcoal), and maybe some sort of houndstooth or subtle square/plaid design.

I feel myself getting into fine menswear in the same way that I did fragrances! (uh-oh!)
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Default Re: My first suit: Calvin Klein charcoal 3-button

I dont know where you bought it from , but Macy's has amazing deals on CK suits. I went in for 1 and ended up buying 3 last summer during an incredible sale (tan, grey and charcoal pinstripe). $600 suits on sale for $175 (plus alterations) - basically a buy 1 get 2 free sale !!! I couldnt resist. Great prices on CK ties to boot ! People often compliment me on them as well. Look for those sales (especially the unadvertised ones).

Yeah, you're the obsessive type...I hope you make alot of money in your new job to pay for your cologne and clothing addictions !!!!

Good Luck !!!!!

I'll second Macy's for good deals on name brand clothes. I got a Ralph Lauren silk sportcoat for $100 in December that listed for $300.

Not to rain on anybody's parade, but when it comes to buying a suit, there's quite a few things to consider when investing that much money. I don't know how your CK suit was constructed but from personal experience, I've found that certain Calvin Klein suits lacked durability. Sure they were stylish, but they started bubbling up after only a few trips to the dry cleaners. This was caused by fused interlinings. If you plan on buying more suits in the future, do some research and learn the difference between a fused suit and a canvased suit. It will save you a lot of money in the long run. When I first started working in an office, my suit collection consisted of Hugo Boss, Calvin Klein, Liz Claiborne, and Kenneth Cole. Now it's primarily made up of Hickey Freeman, Brooks Brothers, Canali, and Brioni.

Cheers and good luck with the job.

The only thing is that Macy's doesnt do free tailoring if you buy a suit there. that alone cost me 50 bucks. I'd rather have my old famous/lord and taylors instead.

I got it at Lord and Taylor's. They did charge $25 or so for the tailoring.

I'm sure I'll climb the ladder of suit quality in good time (when I can easily afford it), but for now, getting half a dozen suits at $200-$500 a piece is going to be tough to begin with. I stumbled upon a site called www.askandyaboutclothes.com that is to suits what basenotes is to fragrances, so hopefully it will be my guiding light.

I at least hope to think that I started out with the "suit equivalent" of a decent designer fragrance as opposed to the equivalent of a scent you could find at the grocery store or wal-mart! I'm happy with it!

I'm thinking of picking up another from Bachrach. Seems like a beatiful fabric and suit for about 300 bucks. ("sharkskin" with blue pinstripe 3 button with dual vents) Any comments? (dare I ask?)

I'm discovering some of my preferences, such as 3-buttons, dual vents, flat-front pants, slim or "european" fit, etc.

Geez, I can just see my obsession switching from $100 bottles of cologne to $500 suits. There are half a dozen more that I feel like I absolutely must have (just like my "wish list"). Shit.
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

An update:

I've purchased two more suits and have plans for one more (at least!)

I went ahead and bought the Bachrach grey w/ blue pin and loved it, but found a tiny hole in the neck fold fabric today. I called and they immediately replaced it. I've found Bachrach and the tailors at Lord and Taylor to be the most knowledgable and helpful. The suits at Bachrach seem to be of great quality and fit as well.

Today I got a great deal on a Hugo Boss 3-button charcoal with subtle dark blue pinstripes. It is gorgeous - listen to this - Originally $695, with several sales and discounts factored in, I got it for only $190!

As far as tailors go, I've decided to make the resident tailors at Lord and Taylor my go-to guys. They do not charge extra for the "facing" that needs to be put in to lengthen the sleeves to the neccessary extent, and also charge much less than Macy's. I have yet to investigate the "freelance" tailors. Macy's wanted over $60 to lengthen the sleeves and hem the pants, while L+T was around $30.

I've found that of the small percentage of sales associates that actually know of a distinction existing between fused and canvassed suits, none of them have any available to even show me. The only place I've found Brioni suits is Saks. I didn't bother wasting the SA's time there. It is because of this that I must asssume that almost all of the "general", suit-wearing "population", wear fused suits exclusively. Now I don't feel so bad owning a few nice ones. I think Bachrach might use partial canvassing in some suits. The SA's and I were unable to determine for sure. They are honest about it, while some SA's try to cover up their lack of knowledge by changing the topic to some other, thinly-disguised pressure tactic. I've even been congratulated for knowing that canvassing exists by some SA's.

I love suits. And cologne. And furniture. And electronics. No wonder I'm always broke.

i just got this http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...tegoryID=18119
    suit today for interviews and other events. i loved the look and the feel of the material. I know CK isn't very highly regarded in the suit world but it was only 250 with pants.

i'm planning on entering the corporate world but as a broke student i don't have much money to spend.

which companies make affordable / decent quality suits?

Nice,

You mentioned that CK isn't highly regarded, but what IS, that doesn't cost upwards of a thousand bucks (which is out of my price range)?!

Like you, I am very much impressed with the CK I got for a discount; I love the fabric, and it fits me like, well...a suit! (or a glove, if you didn't pick up on that..)

After doing quite a bit of homework on this, and evidantly surpassing the knowledge of the common suit department SA, I've decided that I have no problem buying designer suits costing only a few hundred bucks. I've learned of the difference between canvasing and fusing, and don't really care or have a preference, and to be honest, I don't think I'd be able to sleep at night if I paid $2000 for a suit anyway, even if I was making a million bucks a year. It's just simply NOT justified. I'm certain the guys on www.askandyaboutclothes.com will readily disagree with me, but for now, I'm feeling like a million bucks in my $300-500 suits.

And another thing....... Who the hell is actually going to Saks and paying $200 for these ties?! I am doing my best to not sound like a cheapskate, but $200 for a god damn tie?! I'll stick to TJ maxx and occasionally department stores (if I can get a hell of a discount), where I can get ten or fifteen ties for $200. And not crap either. So what if it isn't Hermes? The quality of the material is the same (or at least the same to most of us) and the patterns and stripes are so varied, I don't see any way someone could identify a discounted $15 Nautica tie from a $180 Hermes tie.

Oh well... "Nothing exceeds like excess"!
    Last edited by Scentronic; 12th February 2007 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic
    The quality of the material is the same (or at least the same to most of us) and the patterns and stripes are so varied, I don't see any way someone could identify a discounted $15 Nautica tie from a $180 Hermes tie.
    Hermes ties are often characterized by their print patterns.

Expensive ties cost a lot due to the amount of handwork involved in making them. A good tie is often hand rolled and folded several times. Cheap ties often look dull, flat, and lifeless. However, I've seen inexpensive ties that looked nice and had good body to them. You just have to search for them.
    Last edited by teflondog; 13th February 2007 at 04:59 AM.