Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Three santals enroute to my Holy Grail - reviews...

LV Sandalo has a significant rosewood note, which I like.
    Tam Dao is great, though. You could stop there and do just fine.
    You might find Art of Shaving Sandalwood interesting, also.

Quote Originally Posted by ifconfig
    Heya zztop, allow me to re-quote my earlier statement with some emphases to clarify my question:

All I was doing was to ask if, by any chance, temporarily switching topics for a second, anyone else had smelled Patchouli Patch? I'm not implying there's Sandalwood in PP, I'm asking if anyone had smelled it, period.
    Hi Fred,

PP has come up quite a bit around here in the past few weeks. There was a whole thread about it a while back, and PP gets a lot of mixed reactions. I like it a lot, but I think many like their pathouli in the fully-unadulterated Woodstock Hippy variety and so are turned off by the sweeter elements. That and it lasts on the skin less time than it takes to say "L'artisan Parfumeur Patchouli Patch."

Nevertheless, it's still a neat take on Patchouli, I think. You also ought to try L'eau d'ambre sometime; they are very different, but it is also an interesting take on amber and not completely unrelated.
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 21st January 2007 at 02:45 PM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Thanks for the input, John! Sorry to the side alley trip into Patch land there.

I've heard some terribly nice things about 10 Corso Como. Don't you think Paul, that Sandalwood, by definition, has to be heavy and cloying in order to be Sandalwood. Apart from the initial kaka smell in the top notes, one would think Santal Noble would be the king fo the Santals.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Don't you think Paul, that Sandalwood, by definition, has to be heavy and cloying in order to be Sandalwood. Apart from the initial kaka smell in the top notes, one would think Santal Noble would be the king fo the Santals.
    I don't think sandalwood has to be heavy and cloying. When it is done right, it's actually quite soft and pleasant. Cloying is related to excessiveness (especially of sweetness), of which many sandalwood fragrances have by virtue of their other elements.

LV Sandalo, for example, isn't particularly sweet. Etro Sandalo is sweet, but very light. Creed Bois de Santal is also quite light. Cannabis Santal is certainly sweet... ALMOST cloying, but mostly because of the chocolate and plum.
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 21st January 2007 at 02:51 PM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Default Re: (Many) santals enroute to my Holy Grail - reviews...

Talking about patchouli, do I smell a lot of it in Etro Sandalo's drydown ?
    -

I need to come up with enough adjectives in my stable of descriptors for perfume. I'm fast running out!
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Thanks for the input, John! Sorry to the side alley trip into Patch land there.

I've heard some terribly nice things about 10 Corso Como. Don't you think Paul, that Sandalwood, by definition, has to be heavy and cloying in order to be Sandalwood. Apart from the initial kaka smell in the top notes, one would think Santal Noble would be the king fo the Santals.
    There's no disputing Santal Noble, but it is very strong and cloying to my nose. Cloying, I believe, means something that is normally pleasant, but is disgusting in excess - especially sweet things. Perhaps suffocating is a better term for what Santal Noble does to me, although it IS very sweet.

Profumum Santalum, while very strong, is not particularly sweet or cloying. I would say the same applies to SL SdM. 10 Corso Como is very sweet and comes off as feminine to me. It is also VERY strong, so I would call that one cloying.

I haven't tried them all yet, but I don't think sandalwood has to be heavy or cloying by definition. It is, after all, just another wood scent. I was in Macy's a few weeks ago, and an SA tried to push some Hugo Boss frag on me (Elements maybe). I took one sniff and said, "is that sandalwood I smell?"
    She agreed with great enthusiasm. Now maybe it was, and maybe it wasn't. Hell, I never got the cedar in Tam Dao until someone pointed it out.
    But I'm learning... (and having a blast in the process!)

*edit* I wouldn't exactly call it my grail, but one fantasy scent I'm hoping to find is a fragrance that does, for sandalwood, what Terre D'Hermes did for citrus. It would be a lighter linear interpretation of the santal note and would last ALL DAY.
    How the hell they get the citrus to be so sticky in Terre, I will never know... Citrus is usually a topnote, and is fleeting. I recently tested several citrus frags and TdH just whipped 'em all with its staying power. Since I already own Tam Dao, and I consider this to be a pretty heavy scent, I'd like to have a lighter version with some "sparkle" if you know what I mean. Satellite Padparadscha has some sparkle, but as I stated earlier, it's more cedar than santal.

P
    Last edited by Scentsibility; 21st January 2007 at 11:49 PM.
    “Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”

~ Robert Brault