Code of Conduct

Default Wasted Effort in Decision Making.

I've just done it again. I'm going to a wedding today. Last night I was wondering what to wear. After much pondering, taking into account factors like weather conditions, formality, my temperament, the people likely to be there, clothes etc, I decided on Bvlgari Blv.

Until 5 minutes ago, it was still going to be Bvlgari Blv. I opened the drawer, saw a bottle of Magnetism among the many there, and put it on instead.

I do this all the time. Does anybody else share this quirk or is it just me?
    Renato

Default Re: Wasted Effort in Decision Making.

Just the other night, I was dead set on wearing Le Male... then i saw the pretty bottle that was Givenchy VI

hehehe... i'm a fickle one...
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

I do that just about every other day. Today as I was bathing, doing my hair & putting on make-up...I kept saying in my head "ok, today I'm going to wear Tea for Two. Tea for Two. Tea for Two" Over & over to myself. Then I walked into my bedroom to get dressed, opened my perfume cabinet, saw Chanel PM 1955 and said "hmmm haven't worn this in ages" and madly starting spritzing away with nary a thought of Tea for Two. I don't understand my reasoning, really. Makes no sense. Often times I get pissed with myself for not following though with my original plan. Glad to see I'm not the only one...LOL

-Kim

Happens all the time. I have a very reasonable, calm discussion (with myself) for 5 minutes, bleary-eyed, before I go to bed each night, and congratulate myself on my decision making prowess.

I wake up, and bleary-eyed, argue intensely (with myself) about what to wear today. Inevitably, it will never be what I chose the night before.

I'm starting to think I just can't trust myself anymore.

Thanks Guys and Gal. I just got back from the wedding.

From the paucity of responses it appears we're in a minority. Still, it's nice to know we're not entirely alone.
    Renato

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Wink Re: Wasted Effort in Decision Making.

Based on these few responses, does that mean some posts in SOTD threads, if they were put there prior to the poster actually applying their 'chosen' Scent Of The Day', could be .....ummmm... inaccurate? ::Shudder!::
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by kbe
    Based on these few responses, does that mean some posts in SOTD threads, if they were put there prior to the poster actually applying their 'chosen' Scent Of The Day', could be .....ummmm... inaccurate? ::Shudder!::
    Surely a poster of integrity would edit his Intended SOTD to reflect his Actual SOTD - wouldn't he?
    Renato

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    Thanks Guys and Gal. I just got back from the wedding.

From the paucity of responses it appears we're in a minority. Still, it's nice to know we're not entirely alone.
    Renato
    Renato you have just made my crush list! I just have to love a man who appreciates language enough that he can use a word like paucity in general conversation... ::shivers with delight::

By the way, I am notorious for this type of mental convolution. I will go through my (extensive) collection, sniffing and determining exactly what I am going to wear the night before - only to awake with only the clear understanding that I absolutely am not going to / do not want to wear the perfume that I settled upon just a few scant hours before!

I tend not to state my SotD until I actually have it on my skin - and even then it can still be subject to change...
    Last edited by moondeva; 14th January 2007 at 01:46 AM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

I dont even pick out the scents I will wear for the day in advance. I pick out my outfit and consider the weather and what I will be doing while I am getting dressed. Then I will pick a scent. Today I am thinking either Tea for Two or Brit because it is rainy out.

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    Renato you have just made my crush list! I just have to love a man who appreciates language enough that he can use a word like paucity in general conversation...
    Thanks for your most expressive and considerate thoughts.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by ToadKings
    I dont even pick out the scents I will wear for the day in advance. I pick out my outfit and consider the weather and what I will be doing while I am getting dressed. Then I will pick a scent. Today I am thinking either Tea for Two or Brit because it is rainy out.
    Clearly no wasted effort on your part. Well done.
    Renato

Blog Entries

Today I was set on wearing Chrome. I even posted that as my SOTD. Not even 5 minutes later I got a craving to wear Gaultier2. I went back & changed my post .
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Thanks for your most expressive and considerate thoughts.
    Renato
    ooohhh, Renato, you have just made MY crush list! I love a man who can respond to compliments in such a gracious and gentlemanly manner.
    (and yeah, moondeva, I get what you mean, vocabulary is a real cerebral turn on)
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

to answer the question, I rarely make my scent decision the night before. I do, however, allow myself a good 15 minutes pre shower and dressing to spritz my sotd "nominees" on various appendages and let them settle. I check to see which melds with the mood of the day, sometimes check fellow basenoters inspirations, and then make my decision.
    if all goes well, that is.
    a perilous road we walk, we fragonistas.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Yes, it has happened to us all. You just got to go with what the ol' nose is telling you! I also can sympathize with those who love an intellectual conversation. Although I will not be adding you to my "Crush List" Renato as I am not a woman, I did enjoy a similar experience not too long ago reading a very insightful argument that was taking place on luckyscents about some sort of fragrance called "Unifaith" (the short version of the name). It nearly brought a tear to my eye!

I think the moral of this thread is that the wrong way to make decisions is to carefully, consciously, deliberate. I see this mistake all the time: people agonizing over the pros and cons. The fact is that your brain does all of this stuff automatically and very quickly. If you are consciously reflecting you are just getting in the way of your brain doing what it does best: sifting and weighing.

Some years ago I had a friend who told me of an important decision he had to make — it was whether to get married — and the long two weeks he had spent weighing the pros and cons to reach a decision. My first reaction was that it would not, could not, work out well if he came to the decision this way. You know or you don't, because your brain is much better at doing this sort of thing unconsciously than you could ever do consciously. By reflecting in this way you are upsetting your natural process of cogitation.

Most of the time people reflect on what to wear I think simply because they like dwelling on the things they love. But when you wake up your brain has had a night to make up its own mind, and it is sensible not to stand in its way.

Watch what you reach for — that is what you have already decided to wear.

The most I've changed my SOTD is three times... that's not bad is it?
    - Rich

yeah, every day. hard to know what you'll want to wear friday morning on thursday night. i wouldn't think about it too much. whatever feels right at the moment. that's generally all that matters.

No need to use your mental energy and think about such a trivial issue (I'm a fanatic also, but come on it is trivial in the grand scope of things) so far in advance. Just live, and in the moment pick what stirrs you.

I've just done it again. I'm going to a wedding today. Last night I was wondering what to wear. After much pondering, taking into account factors like weather conditions, formality, my temperament, the people likely to be there, clothes etc, I decided on Bvlgari Blv.

Until 5 minutes ago, it was still going to be Bvlgari Blv. I opened the drawer, saw a bottle of Magnetism among the many there, and put it on instead.

Renato
    This is the perfect description of the lost battle between mind and impulse: Man is driven by instinct and emotion more than he is inclined to think. (Making the effort can still be helpful.)
    Last edited by narcus; 14th January 2007 at 04:38 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41
    ooohhh, Renato, you have just made MY crush list! I love a man who can respond to compliments in such a gracious and gentlemanly manner.
    (and yeah, moondeva, I get what you mean, vocabulary is a real cerebral turn on)
    Thank you very much for your very candid and warm compliment.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by silk4ever
    Although I will not be adding you to my "Crush List" Renato as I am not a woman, ........
    I especially appreciate this...... thank goodness.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Eluard
    But when you wake up your brain has had a night to make up its own mind, and it is sensible not to stand in its way.
    I think you may have hit the nail on it's head with your good point.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by smndrummer
    The most I've changed my SOTD is three times... that's not bad is it?
    - Rich
    Not really - in my more extravagant days, I used to actually wear three or more scents on any given day. Still do sometimes.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    This is the perfect description of the lost battle between mind and impulse: Man is driven by instinct and emotion more than he is inclined to think. (Making the effort can still be helpful.)
    Come to think of it, this is also a pretty good description of my stocks and equities selection technique.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by silk4ever
    Yes, it has happened to us all. You just got to go with what the ol' nose is telling you! I also can sympathize with those who love an intellectual conversation. Although I will not be adding you to my "Crush List" Renato as I am not a woman, I did enjoy a similar experience not too long ago reading a very insightful argument that was taking place on luckyscents about some sort of fragrance called "Unifaith" (the short version of the name). It nearly brought a tear to my eye!
    Tell me about it! At the risk of going somewhat off topic, read this review below by sweet diva (from her scent blog by the same name) and tell me it is not compelling! I love this imagery.

"Think of a package, wrapped in beautiful paper, a paisley of dark orange, pale green, and white. Tear away the paper and find a box, a dark, polished wood box, hand-crafted with clean, simple lines. Open the box and find there nested in brown velvet a heavy, handblown piece of glass fruit. Set it in a window, watch the light shine through and change through the day, shifting somehow from amber, to blood-red purple. The dry woods meld with the soft spicy fruit and floral notes, making a subtle statement. Where Coco strides confidently, where Opium slinks, where Fendi shouts and waves, Citta di Kyoto floats gracefully across the room, like a ballerina, effortless. You can't help but notice."

Very good points here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Eluard
    the wrong way to make decisions is to carefully, consciously, deliberate.

The fact is that your brain does all of this stuff automatically and very quickly. If you are consciously reflecting you are just getting in the way of your brain doing what it does best: sifting and weighing.

when you wake up your brain has had a night to make up its own mind, and it is sensible not to stand in its way.
    Like with choosing with scents to buy, the key word with choosing the SotD is intuition.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Wasted Effort in Decision Making.

If a boxer had to think about each punch before delivering it to an opponent during a match would he/she be better off for it?

Does a skiing downhill racer simply react to each new turn, flat or bump in the run?

How about the non-tethered rock face climber--what type of thought goes into that instinctive grab when previously held positions suddenly change?

From an overall and carefully thought out strategy prior to the event comes that moment of non-duality when the unconscious mind takes over and, in a flash, having already processed the possibilities from the input already digested, we act, we reach, we spray.

Very Zen and very much in tune with life itself.

And hey! 'Wrong' choice? There is always the promise of tomorrow..
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Come to think of it, this is also a pretty good description of my stocks and equities selection technique.
    Renato
    With good success, I hope !
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Renato
    It's not just you man, i do too share the same "problem".
    The bad thing is, i tend to regret my decision later on.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    With good success, I hope !
    Not bad thanks. But the way the markets have been the last few years, it would take a certain kind of talent to have actually lost money.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux
    It's not just you man, i do too share the same "problem".
    The bad thing is, i tend to regret my decision later on.
    Yikes! That's a double whammy, wasted effort plus regret.
    I think we'll just have to take on board the various suggestions made acknowledging either our ability to make alternative decisions while we sleep, or that we're akin to zen-like boxers or that our emotions have a lot to do with it - and accept that it's natural and that there is little reason for true regret.
    Renato

Sadly, I have done the same on occasion. I'll just stand there, staring, pondering...

Eenie meenie...

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher
    Sadly, I have done the same on occasion. I'll just stand there, staring, pondering...

Eenie meenie...

TNMA
    Eanie meenie usually gets you the one you really want.....doesn't it?
    Renato

Choice always seems like a good option in the search for Identity, (I'll choose...I'll wear...) which is why it never reliably works...