Code of Conduct

Default Mossy, woody, green forest fragrance

I am missing a fragrance like this in my collection. I love the mossy lavender in Creeds Royal Scottish Lavender. Like the herbal pine combo in Polo Green and Rocabar. Like the woodyness in Gucci Rush, Rochas Lui and Blenheim Bouquet. I like resinous and balsamic scents. Is there a fresh forest fragrance out there with moss, wood and lavender that doesnīt smell dated? What are your favourites/recomendations? Do I mean a forest of leaves or of pine and fir? I canīt decide but Iīm leaning more towards the fir theme. Iīve tried quite a few of both chypres and fougeres to find something since this is kind of a combo of the two cathegoeries but I am out of ideas. How do I go about smelling like a forest? Anyone?

/ Tobbe

Default Re: Mossy, woody, green forest fragrance

Fou d'Absinthe
    Yatagan
    Vermeil
    Bowling Green
    Duc de Vervins

these were suggestions from a thread I had that asked for scents with a pine/fir dominant note.

You might want to try Creed's Epicea. It's a pine forest in a bottle.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

I second Creeds Epicea. It's as piney as it can get. Fou d'Absinthe also, a bit green, spicy , piney.
    Or maybe something in the vetiver direction? Lot's of choice there!

THIS IS THE WEIRDEST THING!!!!!!!

I have Epicea, got a decant of it several months ago. Tried it and thought it smelled way too spicy, like an overload of clove, too harsh and too sharp.
    I saw what you read and tried som on my wrist and this time itīs great. Much more smooth, a clear pine note with a freshness to it that almost feels lke smelling green tea from a can. Yes, itīs still spicy but I canīt wiat to see where this is going...

I had the Bowling Green but traded it because of the drydown. Too musky and a little body odour-like. The initial citrus was also almost too strong. But the heart notes were very nice, thats for sure. Grassy, piney and woody!

Yatagan was a bit too earthy for me but I will give this one another chance too. The celery note is very interesting but might not be for me.
    It would be really nice to hear whet it is you like about these fragrances. That way I learn something and can easier distinguish notes I like in the future.
    Will try the other ones you recommended. Thanks everyone and I am open too more suggestions.

Like vetivers like LV Vetiver and MPG Racine, sure! But in a forest fragrance the key note is crisp, bright moss, not too earthy. Not too much citrus in the top notes either. Wet leaves, wood... forest.

Two more that just came to mind with a sort of "lumberjack" quality are MPG Parfum d'habit and Versace Versus Uomo. I like the Epicea better than both, but they're pretty neat.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Tundra - Profumum is interesting but expensive. Smells of wet leaves, dirt, forest.

L'Occitane Vetyver maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobbe
    THIS IS THE WEIRDEST THING!!!!!!!

I have Epicea, got a decant of it several months ago. Tried it and thought it smelled way too spicy, like an overload of clove, too harsh and too sharp.
    I saw what you read and tried som on my wrist and this time itīs great. Much more smooth, a clear pine note with a freshness to it that almost feels lke smelling green tea from a can. Yes, itīs still spicy but I canīt wiat to see where this is going...

I had the Bowling Green but traded it because of the drydown. Too musky and a little body odour-like. The initial citrus was also almost too strong. But the heart notes were very nice, thats for sure. Grassy, piney and woody!

Yatagan was a bit too earthy for me but I will give this one another chance too. The celery note is very interesting but might not be for me.
    It would be really nice to hear whet it is you like about these fragrances. That way I learn something and can easier distinguish notes I like in the future.
    Will try the other ones you recommended. Thanks everyone and I am open too more suggestions.
    Epicea has a strong spice note which ruins it for me. I think it is mainly the cardomon which irritates me.

Unfortunately I keep thinking of Feuille Verte which is not helpful as it is out of production.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Have your tried Pino Silvestre or Acqua Brava? Sometimes the bearer of the magic chord is just an ordinary cheap drugstore scent that we ignore out of prejudice.

What about Versace Green Jeans?
    Another not-extremely-succesful blind buy for me,it smells rather synthetic,it is not the most appropriate fragrance to attract the opposite sex,but hey,it may at least worth a try
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Blog Entries

Diesel Green Masculine
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Nino Cerruti Pour Homme

The best green fragrance i've smelled so far is Aramis Devin. Green, mossy, earthy. Someone likened it to a cross between CK Obsession and Gucci Nobile.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Musgo Real Oak Moss.

Smile Re: Mossy, woody, green forest fragrance

Serge Lutin's Chene is pure pine resin in a bottle. I was way overwhelmed by it. It was like cutting a green pine log open and rubbing my neck with it.

Rick

Parfum dīHabit was strange to me.Powdery-sour smell and something of a green pea carachter to it. Powdery is not for me, reminds me of cheek blush. I know itīs one of the most loved green fragrances but I have trouble seeing the green in it. The coumarine-hay thing is there, absolutely, but I wanted something else. I know Iīm in the minority here...
    Pino Silvestre is a fun classic. Too strong though. I need something a bit more mellow that has a cosy feeling to it. A happy, outdoors fragrance remeniscent of a mossy forest with an unsharp freshness to it. I was hoping for this in Greenergy but got something that was too sweet anf a bit cloying. Besides it had a tiny bit of candy to it that was weird and didnīt go together well. The grassy bit in it was nice though.
    Versace Green Jeans was a bit mainstream to me. A little citrus, some pine and a feel of kitches spices. And a bit of a "fatty" feel to it, like the grease you wipe off from the kitchen ventilation. Strage, it never wowed me.

Fou dÁbsinthe, Vermeil, Duc de Vervins, Diesel Green Masculine, Nino Cerutti, Devin and the other ones are all things Iīve never tried. So Iīm looking forward to that. Thank you for all the suggestions everyone. And I hope I didnīt offend anyone. Taste is sooo individual and me not liking something does not mean I donīt respect the other persons view and taste. Just goes to show that you canīt go out and buy the most talked about scents and think youīre done. Itīs a journey for all of us and the misses are just as fun as the hits!!

By the way; does anyone besides me like these kind of fragrances or am I stuck in an embassasing eighties phase while the rest are all in to powdery, sweet and gourmand scents?

I love chypres and classic fougeres.
    I haven't tried it but there is a frag called Knize forest. Maybe someone else can comment?
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder
    I love chypres and classic fougeres.
    I haven't tried it but there is a frag called Knize forest. Maybe someone else can comment?
    I tried Knize Forest a few months ago and found it to be quite a pleasant experience - a light (but substantial) mossy herbal fragrance, with woody undertones. Personally, I can't remember too much about it but I found it more enjoyable to wear than Baime, Virgillo, Eau Noire and Sud Est. However, at the end of the day, it wasn't really me (I think someone over 40 would be able to pull this one off with style). Knize Forest is a pretty good offering from this house and, IMHO, a lot better than Knize Ten.

Smile Re: Mossy, woody, green forest fragrance

If you get a chance try Greenbrier- the original not the new one.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by pluran
    Nino Cerruti Pour Homme
    Yes. And Fair Play (Cerruti, also). I find this (fair play) to be mossy and earthy in the middle. Drying down in fine style to a wonderful woodsy and green finish.

Good luck in finding some!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tobbe
    I am missing a fragrance like this in my collection. I love the mossy lavender in Creeds Royal Scottish Lavender. Like the herbal pine combo in Polo Green and Rocabar. Like the woodyness in Gucci Rush, Rochas Lui and Blenheim Bouquet. I like resinous and balsamic scents. Is there a fresh forest fragrance out there with moss, wood and lavender that doesnīt smell dated? What are your favourites/recomendations? Do I mean a forest of leaves or of pine and fir? I canīt decide but Iīm leaning more towards the fir theme. Iīve tried quite a few of both chypres and fougeres to find something since this is kind of a combo of the two cathegoeries but I am out of ideas. How do I go about smelling like a forest? Anyone?

/ Tobbe
    Tobbe,

I recommend you try Pino Silvestre and Guerlain's Winter Delice. I think they are both rather foresty.

Also, there are two perfumes in my collection that fit your descriptions perfectly:
    Bois d'Hiver, a woody, coniferous and slightly spicy and citrusy with a sweet and warm base of fir absolute (it's less sharp than most coniferous oils are)
    http://ayalamoriel.com/perfumes.cfm?...&product_id=25
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26126871.html

and Rainforest - a green, foresty chypre, with notes of juniper and black spruce, violet leaf and a base of moss and damp earth notes.
    http://ayalamoriel.com/perfumes.cfm?...&product_id=46
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26125783.html

If you PM me or email ayala@ayalamoriel.com I will be more than happy than send you these to samples!

All the best in your search,

Ayala
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/