Code of Conduct

Default Which Frag brings to mind a Famous Piece of Art or vice versa?

I have as of late been visualizing works of art that remind me of certain frags, or vice versa, and thought that after the voting on the top ten masterpieces of fragrances, it would be fun to hear from basenoters:
    Which piece of visual art, painting, sculpture, photograph would you associate with a particular fragrance. I realize there are some music lovers here as well, so a piece of music would be okay too. I am interested to hear about specific works rather than an artist or musician perse...if possible. I sort of break my own rule below!
    For example :

Something about Gris Clair is very clear and clean, nearly pristine, and evokes the same energy I feel when viewing a Brancusi sculpture, (Bird, comes to mind) or a group of sculptures, like his installment at MoMA. There is the feel of a clean cut precise edge to this scent.

Another aspect of Gris Clair is that there is a fabulous lushness about it.
    Van Gogh's Cypresses painting comes to mind, with the thick, swirly curly deep green tree foliage, harmonious and deep.

Montale's Velvet Flowers makes me think of Mary Cassat's mother and child body of work. It is utterly feminine, soft and pretty.

Malle's Lipstick Rose is Andy Warhol all the way. The Marilyn Monroe portrait.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Default Re: Which Frag brings to mind a Famous Piece of Art or vice versa?

Why are we over here in the guys' crib?

This is a great topic.....maybe off-topic? (More later...)
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Goya - Montale Black Aud
    Velasquez - Pomegranate Noir
    Hieronymus Bosch - Messe di Minuit
    Mark Rothko - Kyoto
    Albrecht Durer - Cuiron

these just jumped out at me quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady
    Why are we over here in the guys' crib?

This is a great topic.....maybe off-topic? (More later...)
    My pardons, TaoLady, one reason I thought to post this over here on the guys forum is that it occurred to me many of them have been missing out on some of our wondrous and edifying talks on the ladies' side. I don't think this is off topic, though, since it is simply looking at specific perfumes from another perspective.
    Hope you'll post your thoughts.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Alfred Gockel's "Body Language" series calls to mind something Oriental, but with some spice. The closest match I have right now is probably Opium PH, but SL Arabie is on the way and I think it may fit better based on the description.

DW & I used Body Language V and VI as the inspiration for our last bedroom remodel. Picture an eclectic mix of East Asian and Indian influences - red lacquer with olives and golds, colorful silks, and medium to dark woodtones.

http://www.art.com/asp/sp-asp/_/PD--...A55C83A173781C

http://www.art.com/asp/sp-asp/_/PD--...A55C83A173781C

I wanted some of the others, but DW thought them too racy for our youngest daughter to view (TOO many questions!).
    Marriage is all about compromise...

Paul
    Last edited by Scentsibility; 13th January 2007 at 10:56 PM.
    “Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”

~ Robert Brault

dior Fahrenheit
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

Thierry Mugler A*Men
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

wow. see this is why I posted this on the men's forum.
    love the visuals yongghoh and scentsibility I can just picture your boudoir...
    very nice.
    I am just embarking on a big remodel project. I should perhaps have a Eugenie room and a Carnal Flower room, and oooohhh a Tabac Blond room!
    I don't have enough rooms.
    hmmm.... kitchen. maybe sl fleurs d'oranger inspired. I always want to cook curry for some reason when I where it. the saffron notes take hold of me!
    and jock...now I am curious about kyoto if for no other reason than that I like Rothko.

I am wearing Arabie tonight and its exotic sweet spice is calling to mind Gustav Klimt's "Kiss" with its ornate and gilded patterning.

Paloma Picasso's Minotaure does not bring to mind a Picasso painting to me: rather it brings to mind a painting by Miro, from around the 40s.

Dali's Pour Homme brings to mind no painting by Dali, but the Picasso painting Guernica, or the lithograph from around the same time, the heavily allegorical Minotauromachia.

Dali's Salvador, does however remind me of the Dali painting The Vision of St Anthony (I'm sure yonggoh has it right at his fingertips).

The wonderful Heritage by Guerlain reminds me of a painting by John Constable, or at other times The Blue Boy by Gainsborough.

I wish there was a painting that corresponded to Patou pour Homme. What a beauty that is.

Quote Originally Posted by yonggoh

dior Fahrenheit
    Nahhh....Chanel

Last edited by jaelynn; 14th January 2007 at 05:02 AM.
    We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give - W. Churchill

cuir mauresque - pierre et gilles
    melograno - paul cadmus
    garafano - aubrey beardsley
    silver mountain water - matthew barney