Code of Conduct
    akenep

Question Similar scents to Antaeus by Chanel ??

Is there anything similar to Antaeus by Chanel, but not as overpowering? Something a little more closer to the skin?

Default Re: Similar scents to Antaeus by Chanel ??

I find YSL M7 to be an "Antaeus Light". The drydown of M7 is more powdery though.

Note that I've only got to sample Antaeus on a card, but I found it to be in a similar vein to Kouros. Antaeus had a bit more "other stuff" going on than the Kouros, which is very heavy on an incense note, and evolves into this wonderfully delicious honeyed drydown. Antaeus had a similar effect on the card. Both are great stuff!

Caswell Massey's vintage Greenbriar. A greener version, it probably smells closer to Gucci Nobile than Antaeus.

Quote Originally Posted by McD
    I find YSL M7 to be an "Antaeus Light". The drydown of M7 is more powdery though.

I just got a sample of Antaeus by Chanel and also found it to be similar to YSL M7.

Emporio Armani Night He...similar in feel but with a citrus beginning that is not very long. Little more minimal.

Definitely 273 for Men by Fred Hayman

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Curzon, by Geo F. Trumper (UK) strikes me as similar, but with a citrus tang at the start.

The only scent I can think of that is in any way similar to Antaeus is actually more powerful - namely Havana. It's like Antaeus with rum punch.

Silly question perhaps but have you experimented with fewer sprays, or spraying in less prominent areas?

Quote Originally Posted by magnnum
    Caswell Massey's vintage Greenbriar. A greener version, it probably smells closer to Gucci Nobile than Antaeus.
    Ditto.

Some have said Jean Pascal has elements of Antaeus to it but I haven't worn it enough to say, though I have a bottle.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Nope. Antaeus is unique.

Quote Originally Posted by loungeboy
    Nope. Antaeus is unique.

yess I agree.
    f.e. you can find similarities with Kouros - they have something in common...

but I am interested in the drydown of Antaeus, this warmth of burning candlet . From this point of view- it's unique
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Lately I have been wearing a sample of Antaeus, and find it to be a great powerhouse fragrance. Its definitely the best of all the Chanel mens fragrances that I have tried - it makes Allure smell positively weak and uninspired. I would like to add Antaeus to my collection. The fragrance transformations are: an opening blast of lavender blended with sage leading to a smooth and sexy sandalwood and patchouli heart before settling into a dry, arid leather drydown tempered with just the right amount of amber.

I find it similar in character and execution to another late 70s/early 80s powerhouse - Van Cleef pour homme. At this point I am not sure whether Antaeus is worth acquiring if you already own Van Cleef pour homme..
    -

Thrax

Habit Rouge is Antaeu's evil brother.

For my money Dior's Jules has it all over Antaeus. It's darker, dirtier, and probably slept with your girlfriend.

Post Re: Similar scents to Antaeus by Chanel ??

If they were related, Antaeus would be Habit Rouge's evil brother. Habit Rouge is a wussy.

Basala or Basara by Shiseido is the most similar fragrance to Antaeus.

said that antaeus is definitely unique, I found a similar appeal in Geo F. Trumper Eucris.

I'm wearing some of the original Calvin for men and I find it similar to Antaeus.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Nope, it`s unique. But i can detect some similar notes in Jil Sander, Scent 79.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I find it similar in character and execution to another late 70s/early 80s powerhouse - Van Cleef pour homme. At this point I am not sure whether Antaeus is worth acquiring if you already own Van Cleef pour homme..
    I was thinking exactly the same thing

I second Van Cleef & Arpels PH.

Chanel Antaeus ~ Van Cleef & Arpels PH

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Nope, it`s unique. But i can detect some similar notes in Jil Sander, Scent 79.
    I agree. It's like an updated, modern version of Antaeus.

I like Scent 79 a lot, but never made the connection to Antaeus... It does have a similar feeling to the reformulated Antaeus, but much lighter and airier.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante View Post
    Silly question perhaps but have you experimented with fewer sprays, or spraying in less prominent areas?
    Ditto. I actually find it drier and more subtle than many scents of its era. Try applying to your core rather than to pulse points (wrists, neck).

Similar scents? I can't think of any.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui is a very close cousin to Antaeus.

Thumbs up Re: Similar scents to Antaeus by Chanel ??

Quote Originally Posted by Partagas View Post
    Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui is a very close cousin to Antaeus.

I agree.