Code of Conduct

Default So what is your fragrance story?

Hi! I am kind of new on basenotes so I do not know if this thread has been posted yet. I will direct this question mainly for the “newbie’s” and as well as the “veterans”. How did you guys become fragrance enthusiast? At what age were you hooked on the allure of a good aroma mixed in with body chemistry? For me, I was always old for my age. I loved fragrances even when I was a youngster in elementary school (I am 25 now so it wasn’t that long ago). Anyway, I started off with a little Gillette aftershave cream and a little Bruce, but, that did not satisfy my appetite for something that would last longer and smell much better. But what really “reeled” me in was something that smelled so good on a male co-worker of mine. I never did ask him what it was so it driven me into this mad hunt to find my number 1 smelling cologne of all-time (insert psychotic laugh here)! But I digress…so what is your story?

Default Re: So what is your fragrance story?

I was 16, I went over to my friend Brent's house. He showed me his brothers collection of cologne. I was amazed at how many different smells you could own. I was hooked. Now that I look back on it, he had some Addidas, Hollister, Abercrombie, and a bottle of Hugo. It was about 10 bottles, but it seemed so expansive to me at the time. One scent I've never found... I pulled up next to a Mercedes at a stop light, we both had our windows open, and I could smell him from my car. I didn't ask, and I wish I had... It was good... if a little strong.
    - Rich

Years ago when I was about to enter 7th grade (I'm 32 now) I had an aunt that worked at a department store - she had a HUGE basket of sample vials that she had collected over the years and after much begging, my mother agreed I could have ONE of them. I went through the basket and out of all of them, I picked Halston 1-12. I remember I cherished that tiny little vial for a LONG time and a year or two later, I recieved a bottle of it for Christmas. I wore it through 8th or 9th grade then got a bottle of Polo for Christmas and wore that one for awhile. By the end of 9th grade I was living in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba and there was no place which sold colognes or perfumes. During a trip to Washington DC in 1991 or so I'd asked a few girls who had just arrived from the states what colognes I should check out and they all said Obsession! - so that was what I bought and brought back to Cuba with me and it was definitely a hit being the only one there wearing it at the time. Like alot of people, I reeked of Eternity around 1993 but by a year or two later I had grown tired of it and switched to a more conservative application of Ralph Lauren Safari.

What landed me here at basenotes though - was a ripped open bottle of Gucci PH I found on a clearance shelf for cheap. I was simply amazed by it at the time and it really got me wondering about how much "more" was out there that I had no idea about. I had no idea how far reaching the world of scent was beyond what was on tap at the local department store! Unfortunately, I also did not realize how expensive this hobby could become. I may be broke now, but at least I smell good!

I think my first bottle of perfume was Beautiful by Estee Lauder that my father got for me at a duty-free shop on his way back from Japan. My mom always wore tons of fragrance like White Linen, and it used to nauseate me. I hated fragrance for a long time.

In high school, I discovered Attar Bazaar oils at a health food shop, and fell in love with Pearl Musk and Egyptian Musk. Later in high school, my twin sister discovered Thierry Mugler's Angel and it became her signature scent. In college, I started wearing it too. Then I started branching out into other fragrances I found in department stores, but I kept running into the hated dry/metallic note that I hate so much!

Then I found Basenotes, and fell in love with the niche perfumers... I finally found houses like Serge Lutens, who makes dreamy, rich, rich, RICH orientals that I crave...and I never have to worry about encountering that awful note again, because he doesn't use it. Bliss!

I can't really tell when and where and how it started, but when I was thirteen, I wished for Anaïs Anaïs and Rive Gauche for Christmas and to my huge surprise and great delight got both. So I started with two frags in my wardrobe right from the start!

Because I knew so exactly what I wanted, I must have done some "research" before that Christmas, probably on tax-free parfumeries on Helsinki-Stockholm ferries (at that point in the department stores the scents were kept on the shelf and you had to ask the SA for them). I remember that my uncle often asked me to choose and after shave for him, and picking Pierre Cardin and Dunhill Blend 33 (he loved both).

When I was eighteen and started to work, I bought Coco from my first salary, Salvador Dalí from the next, then Balahé and Poison (the only mistake buy, gave it later away to a hotel receptionist in St.Petersburg, then still Leningrad...) a year later I got Chanel no 5 and more later Égoïste.

Then there was a long break, first because I had all the perfume I needed (ha!) and then when I was studying and couldn't afford to buy any. But when I started to work again in 2000 things started to escalate and now I'm blessed with quite a wardrobe. It has taken years to build (not to mention patience, luck, help from friends, giving up some other things) and I'm proud of and happy with it.

That's my story in a nutshell.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Quote Originally Posted by smndrummer
    One scent I've never found... I pulled up next to a Mercedes at a stop light, we both had our windows open, and I could smell him from my car. I didn't ask, and I wish I had... It was good... if a little strong.
    - Rich
    Your story is quite compelling. The guy in the Benz probably had on:

GIT, maybe BdP, from Creed
    Egoiste
    Antaeus
    Dreamer
    Joop! (but I think you already know this scent)

All of these are extremely high smelling fragrances, that are not worn by the crowd (except GIT and Joop!).
    Last edited by Shiver; 14th January 2007 at 07:29 AM.

I got a very late start..

I've never received fragrance as a gift. My father doesn't wear cologne, though he used Old Spice aftershave for a while. Mom only wore perfume when she was going out to a formal event. She has always favored Opium. I've only got one older brother. In high school he had a bottle of Polo Green.

I bought my first bottle of cologne (Brut) in college, rarely used it but still have it. Later on, I got Eternity and used up a full (100mL) bottle after about four years.

I think I got into fragrance in my current run through fashion. I had bought Alan Flusser's book "Style and the Man". I also bought another book or two like that. Amazon suggested "Fabulous Fragrances" an interesting mini-catalogue of perfumes (women's and men's). I think I was trying to help a friend of mine find a gardenia fragrance and had reached the limits of what I could find out with just that book, so I started digging online and found Basenotes. For the first few months I just used the directory and never entered the community/forum area. I think the first thing that caught my attention in the community was the monthly statistics of the SotD posts. Being a news and data junkie, I was hooked. I started with sample orders, then ordering full bottles and now I have > 50 bottles in my wardrobe. I think I recall saying a few months ago that I would plateau around 30. Ha!

my journey continues (two Le Labo discovery sets should arrive later this week)

Me, I've been in contact with fragrances all my life since mom and dad has always used perfume/cologne. I remember quite clearly one time when I was 7 or 8 years old and I was going to some kind of disco in school and because I wanted to be attractive to the girls I used some of my dad's after shave (Fahrenheit IIRC). I overapplied though, so when dad came home he said something like "You want to smell good tonight? Well, I think you used a little much..." Then he laughed a bit. Around this time I actually got a sample of XS from a girl. I found it a few weeks ago, and man it has really gone bad (this was about 15 years ago)...

Anyways, a few years later when we were in France, I got my first bottle. It was a Disney Goofy EDT. Fast forward another few years and I got a bottle of Polo Blue after shave. A couple of years after that a Polo Blue EDT and soon after a Hugo Boss Dark Blue EDT. I still have these bottles and while the Dark Blue seems to have turned, Polo Blue seems to be allright, although I can't say I care much for it. I think I was 16 or 17 when I bought my first bottle on my own (Paul Smith Extreme). I used it up and bought a new, big bottle of it.

What made me find Basenotes though, was that I heard of Penhaligon's on a (IIRC) wet-shaving forum. I set out to get some info on them since I had never before heard the name. I did a Google search and found Basenotes. This was six or so months ago and at first I was just getting some info from the directory on Penhaligon's. One thing led to another however and here I am
    Last edited by RichardK; 14th January 2007 at 04:00 PM.

Blog Entries

I was in 7th grade & the Avon Lady was visiting. My mom was getting me my very first makeup set. She also said I could have a perfume, and the Avon Lady suggested Sweet Honesty. I wore it to school pretty much every day for a couple of years. One day my crush at the time said that I always smelled good. After that I started seeking out new perfumes. It was stuff that I found @ Alco and could be had for very little $$$. I remember getting Vanilla Musk, Lady Aspen, Lady Stetson, Ghost Myst, and i.c.i. I wore those up until my senior year of high school when I started wearing Banana Republic W. On into college I wore Lucky You, Cool Water, and Adidas Moves (the womens versions). Early into grad school it was Mary Kay Velocity, Eddie Bauer Balance, Eddie Bauer Pure, and Lancome Miracle.

Then one fateful autumn day I had driven home for the weekend with my friend Seth. The main point of the trip was that he wanted to hear my dad preach on Sunday. My hometown is pretty boring, and most of Saturday was spent bumming around the mall. Seth & I were scoping out the fragrance counters at Dillards. Then......it happened. My eyes fell on a bright orange oval bottle at the Clinique counter. It was beautiful. I reached for it and brought it to my nose and I could smell very faint oranges. I sprayed my arm a couple times....and fell in love. I realized I hadn't even checked to see what this juice was called. I was shocked to realize that this was a men's fragrance!!! I found Seth and had him sniff my arm. He loved it on me, and I bought a bottle on the spot. I've mostly been using men's colognes ever since. And, I've even turned a few friends (both male and female) onto Clinique Happy for men!!!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

My interest started at a very, very young age - maybe 3 or 4. We lived a few different places in Europe and Dad's business had him away from home alot. So it was always a big deal when he'd come home with little gifts for the kids and we'd jump up on his lap - he always smelled like leather jacket and Equipage.

And Mom had great taste, and took us shopping at cool little Paris and London shops with her - I was her only boy, and Dad was probably gone, so I got to help to pick out which Patou, Guerlain or Worth she would buy that day.

till I was refered to my first fragrance blog, I had been wearing Quorum and Cool Water for years. My wife and daughter thought I smelled quite slick in those two. One blog linked to the next blog till I ended here today, broke, happy and really smelly.

And I thought I was the only one who went through the “Eternity” phase. Bravo on the lady who had the guts to wear Clinique Happy. Yeah, I know, not the most masculine scent but it is in my rotation.

I sympathize with all of you who are going broke with this hobby. If we are not more cautious, there will soon be a society of good smelling homeless people holding a sign saying, “Will work for samples!”

Well when I was about 11 years old and about 6th grade I just bought the usual, Fierce by A&F and it was my first cologne. For all of 6th and 7th grade all I wore was Fierce, it lasted all school day on me and everyone loved it.

Then when I went to Paris for my 8th grade trip I went to this huge amazing fragrance store on this famous shopping street called like Champs Elysees. I bought myself a bottle of Acqua Di Gio and that's when it started. I got a giftset of Curve after that and kinda stopped. Now during the summer of 8th grade I started getting really interested. Now that 9th grade started for me my collection went from 2 to 14 in about 5 months.

Sad I don't have a job and my parents don't give me ANY money for fragrances. I always have to sneakly buy them, if I did have a job I would probally have well over 25 fragrances. Oh yeah by the way I'm 15.

My interest in fragrance has been since I was a kid whether it was running around the yard paying attention to the smells, or a bakery, or wherever. As an adolescent I used Brut, Old Spice, English Leather, etc. I bought Polo (green) in high school after smelling it on my best friend, and my interest took off from there.

Quote Originally Posted by thisbekevinn
    Well when I was about 11 years old and about 6th grade I just bought the usual, Fierce by A&F and it was my first cologne. For all of 6th and 7th grade all I wore was Fierce, it lasted all school day on me and everyone loved it.

Then when I went to Paris for my 8th grade trip I went to this huge amazing fragrance store on this famous shopping street called like Champs Elysees. I bought myself a bottle of Acqua Di Gio and that's when it started. I got a giftset of Curve after that and kinda stopped. Now during the summer of 8th grade I started getting really interested. Now that 9th grade started for me my collection went from 2 to 14 in about 5 months.

Sad I don't have a job and my parents don't give me ANY money for fragrances. I always have to sneakly buy them, if I did have a job I would probally have well over 25 fragrances. Oh yeah by the way I'm 15.
    Tsk, tsk, tsk, this habit is starting to reach kids at a younger age with each generation. Please be sure to stay away from suspicious strangers trying to sell you fragrances on a street corner.

Wore Azzaro Pour Homme, Paco Rabanne pour Homme at fifteen. They woke me up and kept me alert after long nights of ingesting good quantities of interesting things. Family bought me Guerlain Vetiver, Habit Rouge, Eau Sauvage at the same time. The smelled great but I only wore the Azzaro and Paco Rabanne pour Homme. Began wearing more citrus when I lived in the desert. A lot of Armani Eau pour Homme, Eau d'Hadrien, etc. Wore a few others such as Bel Ami and Bijan Men as well. Read an article that mentioned Creed's Vintage Tabarome and all the BS that goes with it. Found it compelling then. Acquired V Tabarome and Bois du Portugal. Liked them well enough. Came across Basenotes. Found a new distraction. Got through the Creed phase pretty fast (owned bottles and flacons of almost all of them) then moved on to stuff that gave me more satisfaction. Still like the VT and BdP fairly well.
    Last edited by pluran; 10th May 2011 at 09:50 PM. Reason: mons veneris

Some odd years ago, I just had this sudden urge to start dressing a little better, so naturally smelling good came to play in some point. I remember sitting in class, and just was browsing trough perfumeeemporiums site. I made a list ( about 30frags ) and after school went to local perfume store. I arrived and started asking

Do you have FCUK Him? Offcourse I wanted it because the name

No we dont.

Well...Do you have Minotaure?

Sorry

Finally after some minutes I just gave her the list, but they didnt have nothing I called my friend who lives in Helsinki and asked if he could check there. And I remember him telling me

Just get Armani, that´s all you need

And when you ad the story that my firend told me about him spraying Armani in the air, and all the ladies turning there heads, you could say it sounded like the Holy Grail

But, newer got Armani. Instead I found Basenotes (the site before this) and was hooked. I remember when we were having parties at my friends house, I would just sit and read the site!

Good times

Blog Entries

I thought I would bump this old thread because I find these stories fascinating.
    My Story
    My mom was pretty hardcore with the Chanel No. 5...that is a childhood scent for me, as is Oscar by ODLR, and Opium by YSL.

My own fragrance story begins with a bottle of Love's Baby Soft someone gave me (who knows who) in childhood...I must have worn that a bit in high school. I always was especially attracted to perfumes bottles and boxes and advertisement, I must say.

The obsession for me started when I took a job in a small perfumer's shop in Boston, and the owner assigned me the Perfume a Story of a Murderer book to read as homework. The book, as most of you know, is unique and a wonderful read for any perfumista..
    We did many amusing things at the job like coaxing people into trying perfume oils ("c'mon, live a little!"), making perfumed soap bubbles with a bubble making machine and blowing them out onto the street, and helping people to design their own perfumes. Fun!
    Also, during that time, I learned a little bit about notes and dilutions and a bit of the craft...a wierd thing about that job was I would get so intoxicated during the job I would forget my coat, my keys, my wallet. I was always leaving things there.
    But then reality called and I took a professional job in another field...but I never really forgot how magical perfume is. And also how fleeting.

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

My interest in fragrance collection started when I lived in Grasse and then later in Paris. The rest is history.

First I bought small bottles from Wal-Mart. Then I moved on to full bottles of some fragrances, like Candies for Men and Versace Eau Fraiche, as well as a bottle of Nautica I took from my brother. Oh, and some Fierce. There was a dark period in my life when I resorted to using Axe, but I'd rather not talk about it. Then out of nowhere I decided to get back into it. I needed a summer scent, and as I left Macy's with 13 sample strips in my hands, I knew I had it in me again. I joined Basenotes, started to sample, made some great bottle purchases and some horrible ones, and now I'm here.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking