Code of Conduct

Default Oriental Fougeres

OsMoz use the fragrance category of Oriental Fougere at
    http://www.osmoz.com/encyclo/recherc..._FAMILLE_ID=78

While I can fathom or think I understand their categorisation with respect to scents like Joop, Le Male, Casual Friday etc, of the scents I know among those listed, a few of them have me puzzled as they don't smell at all like orientals to me.

For me these include,
    Boss in Motion
    Lanvin's Vetyver
    Cerruti Si

Do you think they are orientals?
    Renato

Default Re: Oriental Fougeres

Not at all!
    Boss in motion to bits. Orangey with some vanilla ( a bit like candy)
    Lanvin Vetyver is more citrus and Cerutti Si is more woody

Quote Originally Posted by eric
    Not at all!
    Boss in motion to bits. Orangey with some vanilla ( a bit like candy)
    Lanvin Vetyver is more citrus and Cerutti Si is more woody
    Thanks, I was starting to wonder if there was something awry with my sense of smell and categorisation.
    Renato

Hi Renato. It's funny, I'd never noticed that category before. I will write this hoping that this post stays on topic and friendly...I've always thought of our old friend Kouros and its little brother Kouros Fraicheur as Oriental Fougeres, or Fougerey Orientals (fougientals?), and in fact just yesterday entered a review for Fraicheur where I commented on this. I had never heard any "real" fragrance industry folks use that classification. Would you put Kouros in that category? Are there any other scents you think would fit?

Quote Originally Posted by robyogi
    Hi Renato. It's funny, I'd never noticed that category before. I will write this hoping that this post stays on topic and friendly...I've always thought of our old friend Kouros and its little brother Kouros Fraicheur as Oriental Fougeres, or Fougerey Orientals (fougientals?), and in fact just yesterday entered a review for Fraicheur where I commented on this. I had never heard any "real" fragrance industry folks use that classification. Would you put Kouros in that category? Are there any other scents you think would fit?
    Thanks for your thoughts.

The H&R Charts have Kouros as a Woody Fougere right next to the column for Ambery Fougeres, which in turn includes such scents as Sculpture, Xeryus Rouge and Salvador Dali. The latter three are also categorised as Oriental Fougeres at OsMoz.

Whenever I've smelled a scent that I was instantly intoxicated or intrigued by, I'd check it's H&R Chart classification, and it would be in the Ambery Fougere column. So to my nose, it is an obviously very distinct classification that shouldn't be thrown into the "Fresh Oriental" or "Oriental Fougere" categories as is often the case.

So while I wouldn't categorise Kouros as any sort of oriental, I'd definitely think it has something in common style wise with Salvador Dali, Sculpture and the like - which might explain why you think of Kouros as similar to Oriental Fougere scents.
    Renato

Allure Homme has always struck me as one of these. Intellectually, I know it should be a Fougere, but it sure wears like an Oriental.

Kouros is a rich fougère. An example of an oriental fougère would be something like Patou Pour Homme, although it could just as easily be called a classical woody oriental.

Thanks for the thoughts/info guys. When I was thinking of Kouros having an oriental quality, I was thinking of the incense, amber, honey, and oft-noted civet, which I tend to think of as "oriental" notes. But, maybe my definition of oriental fragrances is not quite correct. Regardless, sounds like it straddles categories.

it would be interesting to know how michael edwards and others determine their classifications. fragrances of the world is a hell of a book to own. remarkable in its accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran
    it would be interesting to know how michael edwards and others determine their classifications. fragrances of the world is a hell of a book to own. remarkable in its accuracy.
    According to
    http://www.perfumery.com.au/

the description for Kouros is,
    "Michael Edwards' Classification: Rich Aromatic Fougère

Similar fragrances on site: Havana, Lapidus pour Homme, 3e Homme."

By hunting around the various scents at sites which have the Michael Edwards classification, you can get a feel for his system.
    Renato