Code of Conduct

Default Looking for a 3rd scent

First off, I'm new at this fragrance thing. My wife and I have only recently started exploring the fragrance counters, and we've both found things we actually like. We both had bad perfume abuse experiences with family members, congregation members, teachers, etc, and we just figured there was nothing out there we'd like, so we just dodged the area.

So, here's what I've got... and some of what I've tried:

Pi Fraiche - I like this. It was the first fragrance I bought about 4 months ago. I'm not sure exactly what it is about it I like, but whatever it is, I like it. My nose obviously has a ways to go in picking out the different notes, but it has a soft musky smokey kinda thing that I like. Lasts well, and it's not too powerful.

Kenneth Cole Reaction Thermal - This was #2. I like it too. It's a bit stronger than the Pi Fraiche, but that's fine. Again, I can't pinpoint anything particularly about it that I like, but I like it from beginning to end. My wife loves it on me.

That's the collection so far. Of these my wife prefers the Thermal.

Now... things I'm sampling:

Onyx -- I like it. I can detect an apple scent. It's not too strong, seems to last, but my wife says it smells like an old man cologne.

Miracle Homme - I liked it at first, but as the day went on I didn't care for the powdery almost "girly" scent I detected after several hours.

Tommy 10 -- My wife likes it, but it doesn't like me.

Dolce & Gabanna -- Too strong. Can something have an "oily" smell? Too sweet I think.

Lucky # 6 -- Wasn't too strong... wasn't offensive to me. Didn't get any wows from the wife.

I have a couple more I want to try.

Heir - I've tried this a few times in the store, and worn it for several hours. Not sure that it's a lot different from the Thermal - at least to my nose.

Guess Man -- Tonight as we walked through the mall I sprayed some on. I like it I think, but would certainly want to try it a few more times before buying a bottle. But as of this post it's a strong candidate for scent #3.

Armani Black Code -- I have a sample, and will probably give it a whirl tomorrow. From the bottle it has some similarity to Pi I think.

So, help me out. What have I got? What should I try?

Thanks in advance.

Jim Pankey

Default Re: Looking for a 3rd scent

I'm just warning you Jim, once you become a part of this site, you never stop. I was once looking for #3 like you, and now I'm seeking #35.

Anyway, it seems from the list that you are at a department store, which is still my stomping ground at times, but I have personally found a more relaxed atmosphere and varied selection at beauty stores like Sephora and Ulta (or anything if your area). I believe your best bet is just to read some reviews, continue to try new things when you're out, keep making notes of what you do/don't like, and take it from there. Even if you are given the most vivid idea of what something will smell like, nothing beats using your own nose - so smell everything! I can see you are already starting to get on a roll with a good varied selection. You have come to the best place, okay maybe the only place (but we would smash the competition!) to learn about fragrances, but a lot of us casually use fragrance-specific cant here in the forums that can initially look like a foreign language, so the directory is a good place to start online. I don't know how much you have gone through it, but it has been very functional and effective at directing me towards new smells through its reviews. If you read a negative review of something, don't let that distract you from checking it out anyways, because I have found people are more likely to write about something they don't like than something they do! If I see that a fragrance is sold at a local store but I haven't tried it yet, I will check it out here in the directory, then as I read the reviews I ask myself the following:

- Does anyone mention it smelling similar to something I like?
    - How long does it last, and how strong is it?
    - Do I already have something similar?
    - Will this type of scent work in the climate I live in?

There are more things to consider, but this is a good way to learn since you can't hang out at the fragrance counter all day. When you are finally ready to buy, there are a number of quality websites that offer great prices compared to department stores and retail outlets, and these sites have been reliably serving this B-Notes community for years.

Whew, I'm glad I got through that! Last but not least, welcome to the boards.

Make it Japur Homme by Boucheron -- edt version for office wear; edp version for evening.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

John, thanks for the encouragement. It's the exact type of advice I expected - and the type of advice I've been giving myself.

tvlampboy, I've made a note of that and will check it out. From the notes it might be something I'll like.

While I'm here I've got a question....

I know these fragrances fall into different scent categories. So, what categories do the Thermal and Pi Fraiche fall into?