Code of Conduct

Default Chene or Chergui? + Longevity

Good day all! I hope everybody is well

I'm quite new to fragrances and as such have ended up acquiring many samples from many different houses. I've decided that I would like to purchase a Serge Lutens and can't make my mind up between Chene and Chergui. Like pretty much all the SL fragrances I've smelt I can appreciate them both immensely. Would you consider Chene to be more wearable on a day to day basis? That's what I'm thinking but then I find Chergui to be fascinating so I'm torn. Is it going to come down to the toss of a coin?

Also, I've read that Chergui's longevity is fantastic. How is it for Chene?

Many thanks for any help you can give me here

Default Re: Chene or Chergui? + Longevity

Chergui does have excellent longevity (can't speak for Chene). After a long bout with Creed and L'artisan, I had almost decided that I was simply going to have to live with the fact that some of my favorite fragrances lasted less time than it took to run my credit card to pay for them. Not so with Chergui, luckily. In addition to longevity, it's something of a staple in the 10 best fragrance categories in Bnotes and (for once) not entirely undeserved.

If you decide you really like it, I think you may also want to try Parfums de Nicolai Sacrebleu! It NEVER gets any coverage around here (I think I'm the only person to even review it in the directory) and I find, though both have different notes, that they have a similar sweet, woody, oriental warmth about them that is very nice.
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 14th January 2007 at 09:16 PM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Both have excellent longevity (12+ hours on me). I think Chergui is more of an all year fragrance wherein Chene is more for fall and winter. You can't go wrong with either, but if you're looking for something more multidimensional and multipurpose I would go with Chergui.

Personally, I think you should go with Chergui - it's sexier and more flexible to wear, IMHO. In a nutshell, Chergui is deep and rich oriental with hay notes - it's a very soft and comforting scent. As for Chene, if you really want to get an idea how it smells, you should try Dior's Eau Noire - they're not exactly the same, but if you like this you'll love Chene. Think pungent tree sap...

Thanks for your thoughts. I've decided to buy Chergui. Here's hoping it's the right choice!

Quote Originally Posted by magicsushi
    Thanks for your thoughts. I've decided to buy Chergui. Here's hoping it's the right choice!
    Chergui is definitely superior in terms of longevity. But personally, I find Chene more wearable and versatile.

Chene is imo absolutely the more wearable of the two for day to day use, but I think that special fragrances such as the rich SL orientals should not be used day to day. Chergui is the better scent imo.

Chergui is the way to go . Glad you chose it.
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giraffe
    Chene is imo absolutely the more wearable of the two for day to day use, but I think that special fragrances such as the rich SL orientals should not be used day to day. Chergui is the better scent imo.
    I feel the same way with a Lutens. But you might be able to pull it off with Douce Amere. To me it's a less complex version of Chergui

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

I know I'm in the minority, and trust me, I love them both and own them both...but to me, Chene simply smells better.