Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Caron - should I go and buy?

From "my" small perfume shop around the corner I can get Pour un Homme and the 3d Man. I've tested both, and found them loud(!) after testing. Keeping in mind I love the heavier fragrances (A*men, Fahrenheit, Au Masculin, Dreamer, Egoiste), I was unable to accept these after testing? Granted it was one test of each - I read here that it takes a while to appreciate Caron. From the ones who know, are these worth the effort (IMPORTANT) and money?

I'm also going on Monday to look for Tabac Blond, after reading the reviews here.

I'm hoping for an outstanding fragrance if I do buy (hence the trade for L'Anarchiste which I can't get here) - please help!

Default Re: Caron - should I go and buy?

Test them again, and perhaps then again.
    All will be made clear.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Post Thanks / Like

I think so, but everybody's nose is different. Also, with Caron, there are as many people who love it as hate it. If you didn't love it when you tried it, I usually find it a problematic idea to then buy HOPING you'll come to like them. That's a great way to build up a huge fragrance wardrobe filled with stuff about which you are ambivalent. I'd rather save that money for a fragrance that I KNOW I like.

And, like I said, it's your nose. Don't buy it just because it gets good reviews from people around here. YOUR nose is the main key.
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 14th January 2007 at 12:51 AM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Post Thanks / Like

If you found 3rd Man and Pour Un Homme loud, L'Anarchiste will smash your ear drums into a gazillion pieces ! Have you tested L'Anarchiste yet ?
    -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    L'Anarchiste will smash your ear drums into a gazillion pieces ! Have you tested L'Anarchiste yet ?
    It's not available here. From the reviews, it's something I may like. I've had the blind buy/trade experience due to the reviews on BN with Geir, Egoiste, Dreamer, Santos and Yohji - and I love them all.

I had the same experience with Scent Intense - nowhere to test but trust, after numerous re-reads and analysis, of the reviews here.

I'm hoping...

Post Thanks / Like

zztopp is right!!!! I have L'anarchiste here on my drafting table and loud is puting it mildly. It's all about fruit mixed with a blood accord. This would be perfect for a Halloween party! It's also kind of Christmas-y. I guess it's the spices mixed with the fruit. This is very gothic.

I do love Yatagan and Pour un Homme. I find them soothing. It's my experience that if I don't like a scent at first (don't understand it maybe) then I will try it again. If I don't like it on the second try then I probably won't ever like it. There are of course exceptions but I find that there are too many scents that I love at first sniff to struggle with the ones I don't like.

I think the Third Man is wonderful! Caron scents can be a little different at first since they're almost niche-like, but they're gorgeous scents—especially Third Man.

Both are great scents, but not for the foes of strong lavender. Perhaps it is the pronounced lavender in Pour un Homme and the "hidden" (but still very strong) lavender in Third Man that bothers you so.

MY UPDATED SWAP LIST:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=189152

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy
    Both are great scents, but not for the foes of strong lavender. Perhaps it is the pronounced lavender in Pour un Homme and the "hidden" (but still very strong) lavender in Third Man that bothers you so.
    I was just thinking the same thing. Lavender really flies out of a fragrance on me and I often find lavender-heavy scents to be loud, even if they are not what I would call "heavy" scents. The two you mentioned I have found to have strong doses of lavender, which is part of the reason that I find them louder even than L'Anarchiste.

As far as buying, only you can decide if they are worth the effort and/or money. My advice is to try them, spray them on as full day wears (one at a time of course), let the lavender fade a little, and then decide on each, after a full day or two of wearing them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    If you found 3rd Man and Pour Un Homme loud, L'Anarchiste will smash your ear drums into a gazillion pieces ! Have you tested L'Anarchiste yet ?
    What ZZ said! I love Third Man, and just got to try L'Anarchiste and Yatagan. (the bottle of Pour Un Homme was broken, and its sprayer shot out funny little white balls!).

I turned down both L'Anarchiste and Yatagan, although I had convinced myself beforehand that I would certainly like them. Yatagan has that celery-morphing-into-green-pepper thing, and proved to be odd on my skin. I liked L'Anarchiste a little better, but to me Third Man is a better combination of notes than either of those.

Third Man is somewhat strong, and if you find it loud, those other two will be screaming. I would say that someone who likes to make a strong, somewhat edgy statement would be most likely to go for "L" and "Y".

I've never tried L'Anarchiste, but it sounds perfectly awful. (Most people here on the board describe it as a mixture of pine needles, fresh blood, dead Christmas elves, and orange-clove pomanders. Weird.)

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

L'anarchiste is a weird one; it sounds awful but its seemingly random mixture of incongruities actually works pretty well. It would be hard to describe it as "lovely" or "pleasant," but it definitely isn't without some strange attraction. It is one that you can appreciate, even if you don't love the scent. I think everybody should try it and A McQ Kingdom once in his/her life, just to see the strange dimensions that mainstream, not terribly expensive fragrances can take (Kingdom is another that I appreciate, even though I find the smell dreadful).
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

From the reviews (both good and bad) I read of Caron's 3rd Man, I thought I would love it. I did a test sample on my skin and walked around all day sniffing it and just could not warm up to it. I will try it again to be sure.

But like rach2jlc said - "everybody's nose is different.". Only you can be the final verdict. That said, I also have read that you can buy this fragrance very cheap. If I was to find it cheap enough I might buy it to see if over time it would grow on me, if not I would not be out that much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by globetrekker
    From the reviews (both good and bad) I read of Caron's 3rd Man, I thought I would love it. I did a test sample on my skin and walked around all day sniffing it and just could not warm up to it. I will try it again to be sure.

But like rach2jlc said - "everybody's nose is different.". Only you can be the final verdict. That said, I also have read that you can buy this fragrance very cheap. If I was to find it cheap enough I might buy it to see if over time it would grow on me, if not I would not be out that much.
    Agreed!
    There's no way to tell for sure in advance. I have a couple of reviewers with whom I agree almost all the time, but not 100%.

Good points about lavendar. I like it, but it seems to be blaringly old-school (in a bad way) to some people.

Yes, Caron is fun because they're designer frags that are affordable, yet exotic enough to be sort of niche-y.

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wink Re: Caron - should I go and buy?

Quote Originally Posted by globetrekker

It also could have been the residual soap/detergent from your bath/shower that day as well as reaction to any medicine or even food you ingested. I would say 3-4 applications over as many days to really know if it is for you or not. Also, have a close friend give you his/her impression of it on you.

For me, Caron Le 3me Homme is a personal favorite, except for the day after I eat onion or garlic. Then, I need something like YSL Kouros to fight the after effects.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kbe
    It also could have been the residual soap/detergent from your bath/shower that day as well as reaction to any medicine or even food you ingested. I would say 3-4 applications over as many days to really know if it is for you or not. Also, have a close friend give you his/her impression of it on you.

For me, Caron Le 3me Homme is a personal favorite, except for the day after I eat onion or garlic. Then, I need something like YSL Kouros to fight the after effects.
    Which is a good point for anyone that is unsure of a fragrance. Like you said always try it if you can and it is better to try it several times to be sure you get a good representation of it on you. The first try of Noir Epices by Frederic Malle I had was not good. Several other tests were positive and I have found it to be a very good scent.