Code of Conduct

Thread: Patchouli

Post Thanks / Like

Default Patchouli

It is said that the smell of vetiver and patchouli show the acquired taste

what is the best patchouli scent?

timbuktu - maybe too dry. it may hurt you some day
    voleur de rose - I want rose or patchouli... and in voleur de rose you can smell reminiscence of rose...

Une Rose smells like dark red roses sloped with dry wine
    Voleur de rose smells like clothes of old gardener who has a large garden of roses..

So that's why I liked Patchouli Patch best..but not sure... smelled it hust once..

Is there pure natural well crafted smell of patchouli?
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) F. Malle 1-19 2) Chanel Bel Respiro 3) TF Noir de Noir 4) Hermes Eau de Pamplemousse Rose

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel 3) Dominique Ropion

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Patchouli

Montale Patchouli Leaves is a good patchouli-for-patchouli-haters
    (in the same way that Vetiver Extrordinaire is a great vetiver-for-vetiver-haters)
    baald

Buy my extra scents - mainly niche - over 50 items (tiny bottles)

INWAP

Post Thanks / Like

I tried a sample of Profumum Patchouli from luckyscent.com. I had an acid flashback. I think it's great stuff, a bit pricey.

Molinard's Patchouli is very true to the smell of the essential oil but softened slightly. It is relatively inexpensive and can be purchased on-line from many vendors. It is similar to L'Artisan Parfumeur's Patchouli Patch but without the strong musk component.

Quote Originally Posted by opalsdad
    Molinard's Patchouli is very true to the smell of the essential oil but softened slightly. It is relatively inexpensive and can be purchased on-line from many vendors. It is similar to L'Artisan Parfumeur's Patchouli Patch but without the strong musk component.
    Molinard's Patchouli is an excellent recommendation. If you don't mind wearing perfume oils, Caswell-Massey's Hot Patchouli is another fine one, a little grittier than th Molinard, but with a bit of musk in the base, but overall a very wearable patchouli. Very reasonably priced, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I second Montale's Patchouli Leaves.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Post Thanks / Like

One that hasn't been mentioned is "Patchouli" by Lorenzo Villoresi. It's an excellent patchouli fragrance, I prefer it over SMN. I remember 'testing' Patchouli by Profumum and it's pretty intense, but it is pricey.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aubrgene
    One that hasn't been mentioned is "Patchouli" by Lorenzo Villoresi. It's an excellent patchouli fragrance, I prefer it over SMN. I remember 'testing' Patchouli by Profumum and it's pretty intense, but it is pricey.
    Etro also makes a Patchouly, but I think it's only in an EdC strength.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Post Thanks / Like

this is a scent for those with restraint...and it's not for everyone...you have to know how to wear this one...because there is no doubt your not wearing some unknown quantity...this is one scent that is not only hard to forget its unforgettable..

a beautiful woman artist i hung out with for a bit..she would wear the real deal...the essence oil...she would take "one drop" on her finger tip..and then dab it over her body parts...then gently rub it into her skin...

the first hour it was so strong i could not be indoors with her...and the scent would last the entire day and well into the night...and permeate her clothing...it was increadable...i would watch how people would react to her when they first met, in a restaurant setting for example...did they want to sit next to her for the entire meal...after awhile if found it amusing to watch peoples reactions to patchouli...

one to be used with care & caution
    wolf

There's different types of patchouli, for the most part it smells minty, green and earthy, and to an extent, like body odor.

Much an acquired taste in its pure form, but it's usually crafted well into today's perfumes, you usually can't figure out it's in there at times.

Cumin is a harder note to endure for me. Vetiver is good as long as the scent is done so that its bitterness is subdued i.e. Prada Amber and Dior Homme.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Some others to consider for heavy patchouli:
    Mazzolari Lui
    Tonatto Re
    Aramis JHL
    SL Borneo 1834
    Reminiscence Patchouli

Post Thanks / Like

Santa Maria Novella's is hard to beat for rich, pure, unambiguous patchouli.

Mazzolari Patchouli is my favorite patchouli frag overall. An exotic, prime patchouli with amber and spices.
    Last edited by pluran; 16th January 2007 at 03:06 AM.

Don't forget Michael by Michael Kors for a rich patchouli scent.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Thrax

Montale's Patchoulli Leaves. Without a doubt the highest quality patchoulli scent I have ever come across.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I really like Patchouli Leaves by Montale. It is probably my number one vote if you want the real essence of Patchouli. I really like Patchouli Patch by L'Artisan. I wear that one quite often. It is also a very good scent. I believe that Patchouli is not an aquired smell as much as a unique one that doesn't agree with as many noses as notes like vanilla and honey. Either way, the best Patchouli scent is only what you think it is so make you pick and smell them all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick
    Don't forget Michael by Michael Kors for a rich patchouli scent.
    Love this scent! Uber sexy patchouli / suede / amber blend. Great on me - even better on SO - rowwwr!

I am a 'clean', 'woody' amber patchouli lover (loathe the viscous, 'sweaty' patchouli redolent in TM Angel, Chopard Wish, Prada, Chanel Allure Sensuelle etc). A few of my favourites are:

TBS Patchouli - oil. A little goes a very long way
    Michael Kors Michael for Men - luxe, sophisticated, masculine, elegant patchouli / suede / amber blend. Yum!
    L'Occitane Patchouli - HG. Sweet, chocolatey, discontinued and impossible to source.
    Dana Tabu - complex, sexy, ambery spiced but predominately patchouli
    Estee Lauder Cinnabar - essentially cinnamon & patchouli. Definitely wearable by both men and women. JHL is the men's marketed version.
    Ava Luxe Sweet Patchouli - I register this as TBS Woody Sandalwood sans sandalwood / spice.
    Yves Rocher Neonatura Cocoon - sweet, chocolatey patchouli. Registers as FM Musc Ravageur lite on me!
    TBS Woody Sandalwood - almost gourmand spicy ambery sandalwood patchouli
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Fresh Patchouli Pure, y'all
    Current frags (in order of preference):

1) GIT
    2) GV
    3) MR

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hmm, how about Guerlain Héritage? Citrus in the top, vanilla and patchouli below. A classic, but maybe not "deep" enough in the patchouli range for some?
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

I love the idea of Patchouli, hate to wear it tho. it never seems polished enough, and a bit sour , I do like patchouli patch by LA, and love Patchouli24 by Le Labo (I don't get the patchouli note).

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to mention on an eariler post: Givenchy Gentleman has wonderful patchouli note in it as well. It's definitely there!
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS