Code of Conduct

Talking Caron - Imposters!!

Ooooh Caron! You naughty house you! I purchased 9 Urn samples from Ebay at a great price. I'd read so many glowing reviews and the 'tobacco' and 'leather' notes, I just had to find out for myself - and the Paris Hilton in me just had to splurge.
    Well. Did I get a kick in the pants for not being a true perfume addict.
    After dabbing all fragrances over me in certain parts of my anatomy - I then twisted myself into contortions to smell them. And 'Yuck! - I hated most of them. I was soooo close to scrubbing. But then suddenly, 5 mins later, 'Mmmm that's not so bad', 15 mins - 'Ooooh, that's nice' to 30mins - 'Wow, where did I write down that one was?!'
    In half an hour, the fragrances had morphed into some sexual, primal, floral absolute VISCERAL scents that had me going 'How can I afford these?'
    Just goes to show, give the classics some time and respect and they will respect you back.
    By the way, my favourites ended up being - Eau de Reglisse, Violette Precieuse, Parfum Sacre, Faranesian, Montaigne and Tabac Blond.
    Totally COULD NOT GET - Or et Noir.
    Anyone had an experience as above with Caron or anything for that matter?
    Smells like acid - then 'POOF!' - angels appear, the sun comes out and you love everyone!

Default Re: Caron - Imposters!!

Really, these don't smell a thing like "mall" fragrances, and because of that they take some getting used to. That's what perfume is supposed to smell like, in a classic mold. It's just that it is nearly the antithesis of the mass-marketed scents and as you have found, first acquaintance can be shocking. That probably is especially true of Tabac Blond.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Caron - Imposters!!

I also just discovered Tabac Blond. I liked it so well I bought a small flask from Caron Boutique. It is GORGEOUS. My next favorite and it took some getting used to, is En Avion. If you like amber you should try it. Nuit de Noel is also good and Montaigne is a new decant I love, too. These perfumes are not for the amateurs. These are the frags that taught me to wait at least 2 hours before deciding if I liked something or not. As soon as I got into them I was bored with department store fare. Dangerous for the charge card though!

Quote Originally Posted by Gumoosh
    I hated most of them. I was soooo close to scrubbing. But then suddenly, 5 mins later, 'Mmmm that's not so bad', 15 mins - 'Ooooh, that's nice' to 30mins - 'Wow, where did I write down that one was?!'
    In half an hour, the fragrances had morphed into some sexual, primal, floral absolute VISCERAL scents that had me going 'How can I afford these?'

Classic perfumes like the Carons are formulated to evolve a lot on the skin, their scents keep changing from the first top notes to the final drydown ...hours after.
    I don 't wear Caron parfums, I find them too "old" for todays life but I do appreciate their artistic beauty and love the way they work on the skin. for instance I hate hate hate French Cancan for the first 30-45 min until all of a sudden it morphs into something really lovely and sensual.

Of all Carons, Tubereuse, En Avion and Farnesiana are the most wearable and conventionally beautiful ones.

Well putting them all on was the first mistake. Take your time and do one at a time, slowly and live with each for a few hours.

Caron have their own house theme I find, rose, orange blossom and violets tend to be in the heart of many Carons.

Or et Noir to me is Turish Delight, very yummy but sweet.
    DONNA