Code of Conduct
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default Scenting movies you view at home

Okay, so we bought the 50" plasma TV, and I'm on Amazon's list to be notified the moment the movie "Perfume" is released on DVD. I've got at least half a dozen friends who plan to join us for a special at-home premiere.

I was wishing my guests could experience the very pricey Mugler coffret of scents created for "Perfume's" storyline when I thought: Aha! I'll compose a poorman's coffret!

My plan is to examine the Mugler themes and the novel's chapters and investigate which evocative (but affordable) frags will augment our movie-viewing experience. I'll probably do as much with Demeter samples as possible since this is easiest on the pocketbook, and the scents shouldn't be too long-lasting or they'll linger too long during transitions.

My thought is to slice handmade paper to use as mouillettes--enough so each viewer will get one scent strip for each major chapter--then label them, dab each with one or a layering of scents, and then put each "block" of scents into a ziplock bag. Then, as the movie progresses, I'll open the first ziplock and hand out scent #1 for guests to sniff as much as they like until it's time for the next round, when #1 is removed and #2 is passed out.

Of course I can't do a great job of representing either the story or the $700 Mugler coffret, but I WILL HAVE FUN trying, I WILL LEARN SOMETHING from the trying, and my guests WILL HAVE FUN--really memorable fun.

Your thoughts are welcome.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: Scenting movies you view at home

What a great idea! (Wish I had your scent-venturous friends. Can't think any of mine would be up for this kind of viewing fun.)

You gonna preview the movie and decide where to stop and start and hand out the strips? Gonna tabulate the results? Gonna let us know what you're choosing for which theme?

You could patent this as a game and make a fortune!! (Yeah. Right.) Smell-O-Vision for the home!!

LUV YOU Quarry - you're always up to something! :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

... and I am among the many who luv you, Tlady.

I'm wearing leathery Dzing! today, and I'm thinking that if it were layered with Demeter's Stable, it might make a pleasant interpretation for the portion of the movie when Grenouille is working in the tannery. I know a real tannery is more vile (there used to be a rendering plant near where we lived, and that's an awful smell that's off the charts), but I don't want to gross out my guests.

Yes, I'll have to preview the movie to coordinate the scents-around :bounce: . I could use some suggestions for the other scenes anticipated:

Stinky France: Unwashed humanity, fish market. Mugler used black currant (cassis) for the urine effect. Again, don't want to make my guests ill. Maybe I'll go with something with some smoke in it.

Newborn: Mugler chose sour milk as a note.

Virgin with plums: Something faint and fruity. [Update: Looking at Demeter Chambagne Brut.]

Cave life: Cold, wet stones. [Update: Think I'll go with Demeter's Snow, which is supposed to smell cold with some dust and earth added. Should fairly represent this stark passage of the story.]

The city perfumery: I'm thinking Miss Balmain.

Flower rendering for the perfumery: Demeter Flower Show? Maybe something more potpourri-like?

Orgy: Tricky. Any thoughts on Pheromone?
    Last edited by Quarry; 3rd February 2007 at 05:24 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

What a fantastically fun idea! I may do this just for myself, if I can't find any friends who are into it. You are brilliant!
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

This is a superb idea and I wish you all the best with it! You must let us all know how it goes.
    I'm with you on the tannery though - I drove past one a few years ago and the most disgusting smell ever filled the car. I have never smelled anything so utterly vile, and that includes the time when the toilets backed up at my last job, the sewer pipe fractured at another company I worked for, and the day a huge fish fell off the back of a lorry outside work and it stank out the whole building (it was very hot and it took the council a couple of days to come and pick it up!).

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry
    ... Stinky France: Unwashed humanity, fish market. Mugler used black currant (cassis) for the urine effect. Again, don't want to make my guests ill. Maybe I'll go with something with some smoke in it. Kingdom?Will be happy to furnish decant.

Newborn: Mugler chose sour milk as a note. Mugler never had a baby. Iron-y blood with rosewater comes to mind - but no frag suggestions!

Virgin with plums: Something faint and fruity. [Update: Looking at Demeter Chambagne Brut.]Damn! Was wearing something plummy yesterday - must check. Gonna do layering or is that too complicated. Plummy incense?

Cave life: Cold, wet stones. [Update: Think I'll go with Demeter's Snow, which is supposed to smell cold with some dust and earth added. Should fairly represent this stark passage of the story.]Damn! Now I've gotta go try this frag!!

The city perfumery: I'm thinking Miss Balmain. Or Paris? Again, decant on offer.

Flower rendering for the perfumery: Demeter Flower Show? Maybe something more potpourri-like? Sounds good!

Orgy: Tricky. Any thoughts on Pheromone?Check out EOL!!! http://www.etatlibredorange.com/
    And - um - can I come too??!! :bounce:
    Last edited by TaoLady; 5th February 2007 at 01:06 PM.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I am driving to Wisconsin for that.
    I wish.

Wink Re: Scenting movies you view at home

other suggestions: for the caves, add a bit of Terre d'Hermes. For the orgy, musk! Musc Ravageur is too kind. Don't think you'd want to go overboard with Lutens MKK but it's useful - actually would be good for the city. For the girl - powdery is good as well. really super idea. better be careful what snacks you serve along side!