Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What do you smell on others?

What fragrances are you noticing in your 'hood these days?

The Angel poll made me think of how I used to smell Angel everywhere, but now I smell it only occasionally. A few years ago, in my everyday life - office, grocery store, shopping, classes, etc. the only fragrances I remember detecting on other women were Happy, Angel, Romance and Opium. It seemed as though if you were a woman around here who wore fragrance, you wore one of those, (with the exception of a co-worker who wore Yvresse when she wasn't wearing Opium). When writing this I'm addressing fragrances I've noticed in crowds and the ones I've smelled many times. Of course I notice hundreds of other fragrances, too but I'm writing about those I've detected repeatedly:

lots of Fresh Sake,
    lots of Island,
    lots of Chance,
    Jill Stuart Vanilla Lust,
    Vera Wang,
    Incanto Charms,
    DK Gold,
    Prada,
    RL Style,
    Blv Notte,
    EL Beautiful, and,
    within the last week I've detected Chanel No. 5 on at least 3 different women.

Some younger women have smelled of
    Pink Sugar,
    DK Be Delicious,
    Falling In Love,
    Vera Wang Princess,
    Fresh Pink Jasmin, and
    RL Blue.

It's much more fun to be scent-sensitive these days!

When I travel I notice that different fragrances are more popular in other areas. One example, was a little over a year ago, when I smelled a lot of Narciso Rodriguez in San Francisco (I was wearing it as well), but I cannot recall smelling it on someone other than myself here in South OC.
    Last edited by Tovah; 2nd February 2007 at 01:12 AM.

Default Re: What do you smell on others?

I smell Coco Mademoiselle and Delices de Cartier everywhere I go, especially on young women.

Favorite Notes:
    Rose, Apricot, Violet, Leather, Iris, Blackberry, Saffron, Musk, Incense

Post Thanks / Like

i second coco mademoiselle, and i also often smell stella. (i own both.)
    Seeking: woods patchouli fresh tuberose

Turn your nose North and you'll smell N. Rodriques. It is fun now though. When I go to the mall, I can sometimes pick out what someone is wearing and at the least whether it is a floral, chypre, oriental, woody or what. It can be fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TDDanae
    Turn your nose North and you'll smell N. Rodriques. It is fun now though. When I go to the mall, I can sometimes pick out what someone is wearing and at the least whether it is a floral, chypre, oriental, woody or what. It can be fun.
    How far north, sweetie? Are we neighbors?:wave:

Do you smell a lot of Narciso in your neck of the woods? Maybe I'm just in the wrong "crowds", .

Post Thanks / Like

I smelled a lot Narciso Rodriguez and Kenzo Flower in Hong Kong especially in the CBD.

You'll smell it on me NR that is, but around here, I smell Jolie Madame, Angel, Hanae Mori and mostly florals, but I haven't got out much, hurt my leg. I hope to go to Neiman Marcus and Rodeo Drive Saturday, but will have to see how my leg is. I used to live in Orange County, my sister-in-law lives there, but I am about an hour and a half away. :bounce: I wanted to try out my bouncing ball.

This is an awesome thread! You know, I do make a point of trying to detect what others are wearing (and if it's very synthetic smelling or not). Whenever it's something I'm familiar with, I usually figure it out. I've spotted a lot of Chance, Gaultier2, Le Male, and many more I've probably forgotten about.

I'll check back in this thread by the time I've spotted something interesting!
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

L'Eau par Kenzo is everywhere here in Helsinki. Unfortunately.
    I really, really dislike that cucumber juice.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Post Thanks / Like

There are 2 fragrances that I smell a lot on others: Narcisso Rodriquez and Gaultier 2. It seems to be easy to overapply those 2.
    Some books are undeservedly forgotten, none are undeservedly remembered - W.H. Auden

Post Thanks / Like

SJP Lovely, Lancome Hypnose, Chanel Chance, occasionally I smell Chanel No. 5...but I am very snesitive to it, I love to smell it on other people.

Lately I've smelled on others:

Hypnotic Poison
    Ghost
    Jovan Musk

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of DG Light blue here,but also Euphoria and Lolita Lempicka.

You lucky ladies...amongst aggressive sweet fragrances and unpleasant sharp after shaves, "in the crowd" I am first and foremost scared of unventilated clothes, bad exhalations, "bodies", sweat, remains of food odor, mothballs.... oh sorry, wrong thread!?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eau exquise
    You lucky ladies...amongst aggressive sweet fragrances and unpleasant sharp after shaves, "in the crowd" I am first and foremost scared of unventilated clothes, bad exhalations, "bodies", sweat, remains of food odor, mothballs.... oh sorry, wrong thread!?
    Another myth burst, Switzerland is (sorry, apparently was) supposed to be this überhygienic and antiseptic country where freshly scrubbed people smell mostly like disinfectant...
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Cool Re: What do you smell on others?

Lots of the newer Estee Lauder, RL Style and various D&Gs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Among the Americans in central Europe, it's just Angel, Angel, Angel. And lots of vanilla frags. Among the Europeans I've had the pleasure to catch whiffs of FdB, Perles de Lalique (a lovely rosy chypre), and Lolita Lempicka. Jil Sander's various offerings seem big here, too. Fortunately, among the menfolk, there's lots of interesting stuff here, not much Acqua di Gio. I've smelled M7, Basala, Bulgari Black. To be honest, though, more than 90% of people here smell of...nothing!

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing.
    Except for me and my daughter.
    Midwesterners are so conservative. *Sigh* They buy perfumes and only wear them for "special occasions."

Post Thanks / Like

Gaultier, Paris?!?, Angel....and a smelly colleague
    To fear love is to fear life, and those who fear life are already three parts dead.
    Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970),

Lately, I've smelled Angel galore, Coco, and gallons of unidentifiable fruity florals.

Post Thanks / Like

TBS Vanilla on a coworker, and Allure on another. Neither are all that interesting to me.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

I’ve mostly been catching whiffs of Fantasy and more Fantasy, all the young women at university seem to love Fantasy – but then again I like Fantasy too .

Other fragrances I’ve smelled on others lately are:

Hypnotic Poison
    Coco Mademoiselle
    Coco
    DK Be Delicious
    (on girls here at school and on my dental hygienist)
    Vera Wang Princess (including on my sister in law)
    Of course lots of Angel, lots of Light Blue and lots of Euphoria.
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Post Thanks / Like

I've noticed young women wearing Kenzo Amour a lot recently. No one else has mentioned it - perhaps it's more popular in Australia?

A clerk at the chemist was wearing Narciso Rodriguez. I loved smelling it on her, but when I tested it I couldn't shake off the feeling that it was making everyone around me uncomfortable...people who don't like fragrance would probably find it overbearing.

Post Thanks / Like

I live in a very small place, but I can smell Vanderbilt EVERYDAY on several ladies, sometimes I also catch whiffs of 1. Angel 2. Eternity 3. Romance (RL)
    The teenagers smell of Laura or Britney´s Curious or Fantasy.
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

It's strange, although I'm pretty much aware of perfume, I don't smell anything too distinctive, that I say, "oh, that's so & so." The only one's I identify is Angel, Prada & Aromatic Elixir, which I smell sometimes, but most of the time, it's some annoying floral, that who knows what it is. (and who really cares, sorry floral lovers)

Eternity, Angel, Organza, White Diamonds, Lolita Lempicka, Acqua di Gio & Drakkar & Cotton Candy Body Fantasy

Post Thanks / Like

I am all switched on in the last few days, I smelled the following on ladies:
    Salvatore Ferragamo - a bit too heady
    Allure - I like this and I have it
    Anna Sui -
    Marc Jacobs - I love the Gardenia

On men: Eternity, Allure PH

I live in Greece and here I smell a lot of Aromatics Elixir, Opium, Knowing and Chanel. No.5 on older ladies.
    On younger ones I smell Hypnose (everywhere!), Dolce & Gabbana (red cap and The One), Bright Crystal, Red Be Delicious and Delicious, Angel, J'Adore etc.
    “I am an excitable person who only understands life lyrically, musically, in whom feelings are much stronger as reason. I am so thirsty for the marvelous that only the marvelous has power over me. Anything I can not transform into something marvelous, I let go. Reality doesn't impress me. I only believe in intoxication, in ecstasy, and when ordinary life shackles me, I escape, one way or another. No more walls.”-Anais Nin

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I did smell Kenzo Amour on a young woman (19ish) a few days ago and I do think it's a very suitable, classy scent for that age group and a great alternative to synthetic fruity/florals.

Kenzo Amour, which I unfortunately almost hate. Girls all over Sweden seem to have taken it to their heart. The worst weekend ever was when there was a free sample delivered with the magazine Cosmopolitan. Overly synthetic woody rice pudding all over town!

On men the most common one is probably Le Mâle...
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Elf
    I did smell Kenzo Amour on a young woman (19ish) a few days ago and I do think it's a very suitable, classy scent for that age group and a great alternative to synthetic fruity/florals.
    Whoops missed this one. It is indeed kind of a welcomed change, but there sure is something very annoying about the fragrance as a whole.
    Last edited by shifts; 3rd February 2007 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7
    Nothing.
    Except for me and my daughter.
    Midwesterners are so conservative. *Sigh* They buy perfumes and only wear them for "special occasions."
    Too true - I grew up in Chicago and can remember being told that "perfume is like underwear - no one is supposed to know it is there" LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: What do you smell on others?

I live and work in a small town and I've noticed that there are many varied fragrances worn by women here: Guerlains, Chanels, Estee Lauders, Calvin Kleins, Armani She/Elle is very popular as is Night, Angel, SJP Lovely etc., etc. But when it comes to mens fragrances there is one which seems to be more popular, or should that read 'applied with a heavier hand' than others: Joop Homme. I am aware of other mens frags but I guess they must be more subtly applied as none have quite the same 'clout' as Joop Homme!

Post Thanks / Like

Literally, all I have EVER smelled at college is Victoria's Secret Very Sexy 1(MOST, I am usually surprised if someone isn't wearing it), Be Delicious, Light Blue(rarely), Fantasy, or some crappy body spray. It's pretty lame.

Post Thanks / Like

I sat next to a girl wearing Eau D'Issey on the tube this morning. I had to move to the other side of the carriage. Ugh.
    --------------------------------------
    I had a nice experience yesterday lunchtime, though! There is a scent I've smelled on various people and loved, but never knew what it was. When I went to the newsagent's to buy Coke at lunchtime, there was a lady at the counter, and she was wearing it! So I took the plunge and asked her what it was and finally found out. It was Clinique Aromatics Elixir. I'm adding that to my shopping list!
    Last edited by Indiscreet; 7th February 2007 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost