Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Cracking the Chanel Date Code

Well, in the spirit of the earlier L'artisan Date Code inquiries (which bore some useful info from a number of very logical B-noters, I think), I thought I'd start another with Chanel's coding. What can we decipher that might help us tell good stock from bad as to the 4-digit codes printed on many of the bottles and boxes? I'll start:

On my bottles of the following is inscribed the following numbers:
    1. Cuir de Russie EDT: 7401
    2. Bois des Iles EDT: 7101
    3. Antaeus: 7401
    4. Egoiste: 6202
    5. PM Eau de Concentree: I can't find one (but I don't have the box anymore, either)

Any thoughts or possibilities? All of my bottles of the above fragrances were bought after 2005, so I don't think that the second number is a year of make...

So, what do you think? Please post your other Chanel fragrance numbers and opinions on what they might mean.
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 17th January 2007 at 02:59 AM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Default Re: Cracking the Chanel Date Code

Actually, my Allure Homme Sport has a series of / and ', the 's being in four different heights in the line of code.

So if l' is the bottommost, lm' is just above it, m' is in the middle, and t' denotes one in the same place as the other l' ones with another one near the top of the slash, mine looks like..

/m'm'm'/lm'l'l'/ t'/l'

Weird..?

From past email communications with Chanel "Consumer Relations":

The code, either 2 letters and a number or 4 numbers, represents the production date and place of origin.

Chanel identified the following codes for me from my Egoiste bottles:
    5401 = June 2004 France
    2002 = August 2001 (they didn't tell me the origin on this one)

I don't know if there is a pattern that can be discovered just by looking at a few codes however.

According to the posts so far, the last two digits - '01' and '02' - may represent the origin, '01' probably being France. Anybody know where a second manufacturing plant may be and if there are more? In my examples, '54' must represent June 2004 and '20' must represent August 2001 but I don't see a pattern to use to extrapolate rach2jlc's dates from his codes.

genvy5, I don't know what's going on with your AHS.

Mad Scientist, if you are correct, it may be that each successive month has the number represented by the first two digits increased by one.

As an illustration - if August 2001 is month '20' then 34 months on from that would be June 2004 which is, hey presto, number 54.

No idea if this is correct, but it would suggest that we should be looking for the highest possible number represented by the two digits beginning the code if we want the 'freshest' bottle.
    Last edited by Dante; 17th January 2007 at 04:28 PM.

That makes a LOT of sense, Dante. According to your model (and madscientists initial post), my Chanels would be... and please double check my math...

1. Cuir de Russie EDT: 7401: February 2006, France (or 54 months after code "20"= August 2001)
    2. Bois des Iles EDT: 7101: November 2005, France
    3. Antaeus: 7401: February 2006, France
    4. Egoiste: 6202: February 2005, (Location?)

That would all work logically, seeing as how I got all of them after those times.

ThANKS for the hints. I think we just may be on to something here as well...
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 19th January 2007 at 01:00 PM.

Very nice. We need more Chanel codes!

Chanel isn't secretive about it though. I don't know if they'd explain the pattern to you if you asked but I didn't have any trouble at all getting them to tell me the manufacture dates from the codes I gave them. You can contact them through their 'contact us' page at their website.

But it's more fun if we can figure it out ourselves

BTW, I purchased the August 2001 Egoiste (code 2002) in August 2005 from Perfumebay.com. Chanel said this was significantly past "shelf life"; I sent it back. I purchased the June 2004 bottle (code 5401) in September 2006 from Scentmonkey.com. Chanel said it was within its shelf life (just barely I suspect).
    Last edited by MadScientist; 17th January 2007 at 04:36 PM.

Just wanted to bump this up again, since I think it could be helpful to many members with Chanel stuff.

August 2001 is code "20"... , so that would mean that January 2000 is code 00 (right?) Therefore, the first two numbers of the code SHOULD be the number of months AFTER January 2000.

So, my CdR starts with "74", which is 74 months after January 2000 (or 54 months past August 2001, which we know is code "20") or February 2006. That fits with when I would have purchased mine.

Any other codes people want to submit to test this some more? For those of us who order discount online, it could really help us tell if we're getting a good deal or just getting stock "past its shelf life."
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 19th January 2007 at 01:03 PM.

Well my egoiste is 6501. Bought in the UK so 01 for france makes sense and 65 would be jun 2005. I bought it online in mid 2006 so its perfectly plausible. The evidence is not contradicting the hypothesis so far, but that is not the same as proof!

I would love to know if madscientist/dante have got it correct with their rather excellent deductions.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I just received a 75ml tester of Chanel PM today from bigdiscount.com.

Here are the particulars...

Label on side of box:

POUR MONSIUER
    CHANEL
    PARIS

EAU DE TOILETTE CONCENTRE
    VAPORISATEUR - SPRAY
    DEMONSTRATION - TESTER

NE PEUT ETRE VENDU - NOT FOR SALE
    75ml 2.5 fl oz.
    EMB 60159 B Made in France

There is also a barcode on the top of the box, which looks newer than the Chanel label:

*BD00001683*
    “Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”

~ Robert Brault

Well, I have to bump this. i've been looking for a cheap bottle of Egoiste for a friend who said he couldn't find it anynmore. I bought a bottle off of ebay cheap. $26.99. Of course it was listed as brand new. Well, it doesn't look very used but it is old.
    I compared it to my bottle:

8002 August 2006

ebay bottle:
    0527 May 2000

It smells the same so no major complaints at the price I paid. Just thought I would throw some more dates up for people to see.

Here's a stumper for you...My bottle reads;
    50 ml 1.7 fl oz 1
    I guess it's safe to assume it was made in France

Well thats not as bad as my bottle of Allure that says "Made in the U.S.A" on the bottom and on the bottle of Platinum Egoiste that only has a '7' directly under the 1.7 oz on the bottom of the bottle. I picked both of them up from Macys not even a week ago...

I'm still looking for a cheap, new date code on the bottom, lol, bottle of Egoiste. Anyone know where I can get one ??

Scentsibility,

You don't seem to mention anything from the bottom of the box. See below.

snakesandladders,

0527 does not look like a valid number based on the pattern deduced above.

CuyahogaJoe & 1280adam,
    That looks like information from the bottom of the bottle. See below.

The code you are looking for is not on the bottom of the bottle. It is near the bottom of the BACK of the bottle and it may be difficult to see. The code should also be stamped into the bottom of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist
    The code you are looking for is not on the bottom of the bottle. It is near the bottom of the BACK of the bottle and it may be difficult to see. The code should also be stamped into the bottom of the box.
    MS is correct; it is a four digit code stamped onto the bottom of the box. On the bottle, also, it seems to be lightly stamped/marked. It MAY wear off over time or with usage (after using my Antaeus for a while, it is now getting harder to see), so definitely check the box.

there is no stamp on the box for PE for me. It is on the bottle in the back bottom though..very hard to see..must be at a right angle.

ps mine is 1347. is that old? i will take it back if its past shelf life. i went to chanel.com but the contact us section is not working.
    Last edited by G Man; 18th March 2007 at 05:50 AM.

My Egoiste is 5902.

Basenotes Plus

my Anataeus bought directly from Chanel USA is 7401 purchased last summer
    Egoiste purchased on the web, fall early winter 2006, from a retailer is 7201
    Currently wearing: Opus IV by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Scentsibility,

You don't seem to mention anything from the bottom of the box. See below.

snakesandladders,

0527 does not look like a valid number based on the pattern deduced above.

CuyahogaJoe & 1280adam,
    That looks like information from the bottom of the bottle. See below.

The 0527 bottle is definitely legit but the bottle appeared to be super, super old. Perhaps starting at 2000? As I had mentioned, I was picking up that bottle cheap for a friend that missed owning it.
    The one thing I noticed was the color was darker than my fresher bottle. Smells just as good.
    Last edited by snakesandladders; 18th March 2007 at 03:58 PM.

Last week I ordered two from FragranceX.com.

Egoiste: 5702 = Sept. '03 \ If my calculations are right
    Antaeus: 6601 = June '04 /

So I guess they're a bit old but smell fine.

Serendeep

I'm adding my Chanel dates here for your sleuthing pleasure.

Bois des Iles EDT - 7401 - purchased at Chanel Boutique Jan2007

Cuir de Russie EDT -7401 - purchased from rach2jlc

Coco EDP - 7401 - purchased retail from boutique drug store Feb2007

Coco Mlle - 8101 - purchased retail from boutique drug store Feb2007

Bois des Iles Parfum - purchased from Chanel Boutique Jan 2007, no embossed code on the bottom of box, but there is a printed code 120.011

So.... the 7401 would be Feb 2006, which doesn't surprise me. The 8101 for Coco Mlle would be Nov 2006, which fits as well.

No idea about the Bois des Iles Parfum, though.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

This is very disappointing! I must have a bottle made in like in january 2002 (1347 is the code)! I just bought it a month ago! URGH! If i contact chanel, could they give me some type of receipt saying I can return it? I bought it at macy's. not sure if i still have their reciept.

Quote Originally Posted by dimples View Post
    Bois des Iles Parfum - purchased from Chanel Boutique Jan 2007, no embossed code on the bottom of box, but there is a printed code 120.011
    I have a similar code on the bottom of my Egoiste box just below the date/location code.

Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post
    This is very disappointing! I must have a bottle made in like in january 2002 (1347 is the code)! I just bought it a month ago! URGH! If i contact chanel, could they give me some type of receipt saying I can return it? I bought it at macy's. not sure if i still have their reciept.
    You should definitely try to contact Chanel and let us know what you find out because the second two numbers do not seem to fit our coding-scheme theory. Neither does snakesandladders' code. Maybe there was a different pre-2000 scheme. I have 2124 printed on the bottom of my Antaeus mini box.

If Chanel says it's really old, you could try taking that information back to Macy's to get your money back. I don't know what their return policy is (w/wo receipt).
    Last edited by MadScientist; 18th March 2007 at 03:41 PM.

omg..PRE-2000?!?!

I hope it's more like.. 2007 scheme. hehe. I did just email them. It wasn't working last night, but the page loaded today.

By the way, not sure if i said this already, but the "1" looks like the letter "I" Does any body elses "1" in their code on the bottle look like the letter "I"?

and I am sure it reads exactly like this..used 3 people's eyes and a magnifying glass. "I347" looks just like that on the bottle in the back in hard to see engraving.

I have a deodorant stick that says "8106" on the bottom. so i suppose that's much newer than my bottle of PE.. I got them at the same time in early 2007.

I don't see what the problem is. I know a guy with a 14 year old bottle of PM by Chanel. It still smells great. 2002 is not that old, believe me, they're gonna last a long time if you take care of them. Chanel isn't going to replace them if you bought it from Macy's, Macy's will have to replace it.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

it may smell great but is the power of longevity/sillage the same?

This whole dating thing, IMO, has gotten way out of hand and has become quite absurd, and for that we can, mainly, thank the poor quality control and careless distribution of Creed.

How about asking if the fragrance smells okay rather than looking at the date and immediately getting the urge to contact Chanel, who in my opinion couldn't care less about any bottle that wasn't purchase from an authorized dealer?

I've posted extensively on what makes fragrances go off, and I'll repeat the upshot of all my experience based on 30 years of buying fragrances and having purchased, at last estimate, over 2500 bottles during that time:

Fragrances don't go bad because they're old. They usually deteriorate because of improper storage and especially because of exposure to light and air. There are multiple threads on this and related topics for one's edification, all of which can be accessed with a little effort.

Of all the bottles I've bought over the years, I've had only a handful, and I mean that literally (at the most five) that were off. All of those were unboxed bottles. I have at least twenty bottles that are over 30 years old, about 80 that are over twenty years old, and hundreds that are anywhere from twenty to zero years old and all of them are okay. Many of those bottles are Chanels.

I wonder what the value of starting a thread or posting to the main board is every time someone has anxiety over a purchase. Personally, I don't think there is any value to it at all. If you're not sure about a purchase, message a buddy and swap samples and compare. Don't clutter the board with another OMG, my Creed/Chanel is two years thread or post.

I'll be happy to be one of those people to swap samples for comparison purposes if you think your bottle is off, which in ALL likelihood, it's not.

I am not singling out any one person in particular. I am talking in general about the profusion of what I consider pointless threads and posts. I at least have suggested a way to solve this anxiety over dates and date codes etc. I'll put my money where my mouth is: again, if you're unsure, send me a sample. If I have what you're unsure about, I'll be happy to send you a comparison sample.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 18th March 2007 at 03:41 PM.

I could not agree with Scentemental more.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Personally, my interest lies in that we have cooperated in possibly deciphering Chanel's bottle/juice identification scheme, not that they have been secretive about it. A true BN forum collaboration that has resulted in something useful. IF ONLY we could do this with Creed.

I agree that in most cases, if the perfume is properly stored by the retailer, we shouldn't need to be too concerned about how old it is - within reason. However, a lot of times it comes down to principle for me. If there is a manufacturer-specified 'shelf life' for a perfume, then a responsible retailer should follow the manufacturer's guidelines for removal/return. If I see a bottle of Egoiste made in 2007 next to a bottle of Egoiste made in 2005, I'm going to buy the bottle made in 2007. If you went to buy a Caddy and there were two identical models on the lot, both brand-new, both the same price, but one was a 2006 and the other a 2007, which would you buy?

Scentemental, as usual, is very correct.

As the starter of this thread (and the L'artisan code one), it was more my point just to give us more info about our bottles for the sake of knowledge than to worry about the juice. I, too, go by smell and not by date, because I have lots of older bottles that are fine. Having once received an old bottle of Caron PuH smelling like something that crawled up my chimney last winter and died (but had bathed in lavender just before doing it), I can tell when a bottle turns regardless of what the date on the bottom says.

But, just for curiosity sake, I think it is interesting to know when a bottle was made because it makes one more knowledgable about a product for which they're paying lots of money. Same with knowing Vuitton's coding system when buying a bag, it just makes one a more informed citizen and lets you know if a deal might be too good to be true (for example, if a salesperson says about an item being charged at full-retail, "oh yes, you should buy this, it just came off the truck!" but is really seven years old).

Of course, I didn't really intend it to become a "OMG, can I return it? It's 5 years old!" hysteria. But, as far as I can see, it's only one member who is worried.

(I know you were referring to me as ONLY ONE MEMBER)Maybe I worry because I pay 65 dollars for it and money doesn't come out of nowhere and I worry I spent my money on something that is old and not quality. How am I supposed to know if Macy's kept it in good conditions? I come here to get information and found a topic that I want to go into further detail.

I'm sorry if posting concerns is wrong. Maybe I should go google "when does chanel cologne go bad according to the date code"

I wont find it anywhere else and if I did, it won't be in open discussion like a forum.

I don't see how i'm harming anybody or creating problems. I am getting discreetly bashed here for asking questions and being concerned.