Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Cracking the Chanel Date Code

Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post
    My PE read a code that said it's from 2001 also. I bought it in 2007. Weird. I doubt that's right. Still smells amazing though.
    Would the top notes and middle notes be effected due to its age? It does smell different from the tester from what I remember. Strange.

just recently bought 3 bottles within a month from official suppliers of chanel NOT online.

Allure Homme 1.7 2324
    PE 1.7 2320
    Allure Homme Sport 3.4 2622

Platinum Egoiste 1501
    Does that mean January of 2005 in France?

edit: June of 2009 in France ! Win.
    Last edited by DULLAH; 5th May 2010 at 09:50 AM. Reason: didn't read entire thread.

Quote Originally Posted by gourmand View Post
    I don't get it, according to that site, my platinum egoiste is almost ten years old. I just purchased this recently from sears. ;/
    The serial is 0901
    So if March 2008 was the 99XX, then winding forward 10 months gives you January 2009!

My No.5 says 1002, I believe that's February 2009.
    Anyone know what the XX02 code is? mine says made in France... someone suggested it might just be a different factory there.
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 30th June 2010 at 05:10 AM.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir, Costa Azzura,
    Neroli Portofino,
    Plum Japonais, Lavender Palm and
    AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

From the bottle, & the dot under the 'o' in No. 5, I've positively identified a 30ml bottle as being from the 1924-1951 era(bottle & stopper proportion also). This bottle was one of a batch of 9 Chanel bottles I won on eBay for under $90 recently.

This oldest bottle only has 'CHANEL FRANCE' engraved in the middle of the base, with the number '19' engraved sideways to one side of the base.

Its dark, tannin-coloured juice still smells OK, if a little powdery.

Another smaller(15ml) bottle looks to be from the 1951-1970 era, with the number '39' engraved sideways just like the bottle just mentioned.

Wrote to the Chanel site & am awaiting their reply.
    Last edited by domperrier; 27th August 2010 at 01:00 PM.

hello domperrier,

i have become a little skeptical about perfume companies replying to this sort of questions. i hope they do!

but i would love to see a picture of your bottles! is the ebay page from the seller still up, do you have the link? that would be great. or maybe you can just post some pictures in this thread? that would be even better!

i didn't know about the dot in no. 5, i've never seen it. i have an very old edc (i think it's the first bottle type: small cap, available till at least the sixties) and it doesn't have the dot.

i'm always very interested in these kind of clues about bottle dating!

best,
    gido.

domperrier,

'a little powdery..' that sounds great to me, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by gido View Post
    hello domperrier,

i have become a little skeptical about perfume companies replying to this sort of questions. i hope they do!

but i would love to see a picture of your bottles! is the ebay page from the seller still up, do you have the link? that would be great. or maybe you can just post some pictures in this thread? that would be even better!

i didn't know about the dot in no. 5, i've never seen it. i have an very old edc (i think it's the first bottle type: small cap, available till at least the sixties) and it doesn't have the dot.

i'm always very interested in these kind of clues about bottle dating!

best,
    gido.
    Hi gido,

Here's the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

It's funny actually - because I was so ignorant when I won this auction, I actually requested the seller to empty the contents of the old bottle for fear it was a FAKE from China!

Fortunately, although she agreed to do it, she quietly sent it to me intact, insisting it WASN'T a fake.

Thank God for sellers like that!

Read this from Grace Arnone on dating Chanel bottles ; the paragraph about the 'dot' below the "o" in No. dating it to 1924- 1951 appears close to the bottom of the page.

http://www.cleopatrasboudoir.com/app...erfume-bottles

HAHAHA...here's the company's stonewalling reply:

Thank you for your e-mail.

We regret to say that, as a matter of corporate policy, CHANEL can no
    longer provide verbal or written authentication of products.

The explosion of sales of items purported to be CHANEL and frequently
    counterfeit over the Internet, especially through auction sites such as
    eBay, has led to a dramatic increase in requests for authentication.
    Unfortunately, CHANEL can no longer accommodate the volume of requests
    for authentication through its Boutiques, department store accounts or
    at its corporate offices.

Vendors of counterfeit CHANEL goods are unscrupulous. Some such vendors
    have been saying falsely in Internet auctions and other postings that
    the item up for sale was "authenticated" by CHANEL. In order for CHANEL
    to be in a position to say that such a statement is false, we cannot
    provide any verbal authentications, and can only provide written
    authentications under very specific circumstances.

Additionally, we cannot provide the public with detailed information on
    ways to identify genuine CHANEL goods, since counterfeiters could also
    use this information to improve their products.

CHANEL is not responsible for the authenticity of items not purchased
    from an authorized CHANEL vendor. For a list of all authorized CHANEL
    fashion locations, please visit our Store Locator listed at
    www.chanel.com.

CHANEL works diligently to protect its reputation for providing the
    highest quality products and to protect its valued customers from fraud.
    CHANEL constantly monitors the Internet and bricks-and-mortar locations
    for counterfeit CHANEL items.

We apologize for any inconvenience and hope that you will not be
    deterred from enjoying many excellent and authentic CHANEL products.

Best Regards,
    Matthew
    Consumer Relations
    CHANEL, Inc.

My best stab at it is '19' indicates the number of years after the current bottle design was introduced (i.e 1924) so 1924 + 19 ==> 1943

Seeing that I tried the longevity of the juice,which is quite poor given that it's probably over 60 years old( by dropping a spot on tissue paper, the scent lasted from 8am - 2+ pm),coupled with the fact that the vintages tend to be powdery(which mine definitely is) that lends a bit of credence to my guesstimate.
    Last edited by domperrier; 28th August 2010 at 08:18 AM.

Btw, my contribution to the current body of work :

My 100ml of Egoiste Platinum Pour Homme EDT(purchased in 1993) has the number '3307' at the bottom of the box.

Alright, now I'm confused.
    Yesterday I emailed Chanel asking them the years my bottles of Antaeus and Égoïste were produced.
    Here is the reply I received about an hour ago.

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for your e-mail.

The Égoïste fragrance which features the batch code 0902 was
    manufactured in 2008. The ANTAEUS fragrance bearing the batch code 2401
    was manufactured in 2009. All CHANEL fragrances have a shelf life of
    three years from the date of manufacture during which time the fragrance
    can still be considered to be fresh.

Thank you for your continued interest in CHANEL.

Best Regards,
    Matthew
    Consumer Relations
    CHANEL, Inc.

The only thing is, I bought my Égoïste from Perfumania (so who knows how old it could be) sometime between '00 and '04. And the Antaeus I bought around '04 or '05 I think. I really wish I could remember the exact years.

Does anybody have any idea of how old these could be?
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Anyone?
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by tourmaline View Post
    Hi, I just posted my Chanel date codes above, and for any other geeky people out there who are interested, I think I've cracked a different part of the Chanel code puzzle. We established pretty well that with regards to the modern 4 digit Chanel code, the first two digits are the month....and the last two digits were thought to be the place. But actually, I believe only the very last digit is the place. The third, or second to last, digit actually seems to indicate the cycle of 99 months. The first cycle, which appears as zero (0) in the code, was from Jan. 2000 to March 2008 (<when 99 was reached in the first two digits). After the first two digits reached 99 in March 2008, the second cycle began, and it is signified by the third digit in the code going from zero to one. Thus we arrive at these dates for reference purposes:

0101 = Jan. 2000
    9901 = March 2008
    0111 = April 2008
    1311 = April 2009
    2011 = Nov. 2009
    2111 = Dec. 2009

This accords well with my own Chanel bottles that I listed in my other post above; I'll demonstrate here:

No. 5 Parfum 3.5ml bought in January '10 off Ebay: 2011....<this code signifies November 2009 (20th month of the second cycle, made in France)

No. 19 EDT 3.4oz bought NIB in fall '09: 9401...this code signifies December 2007 (96th month of the original cycle, made in France)

No. 5 EDT 3.4oz bought NIB in Jan. '10 off Ebay: 2114....this code means December 2009 (21st month of second cycle, made in USA which is confirmed by reading bottom of bottle)

And all these code interpretations match well for when I actually purchased the bottles. Anyway....enjoy your weekend, everyone!!!
    sorry this can't be true. The product i bought from Chanel Boutique indicated on the packaging MFD: Aug 2009 and its code is 2101.

so whatever it is last 2 digits, 01 or 02 still stands for France for some reason.
    2 of my lipsticks got last 2 digits 01 and 02, both made in France.
    first 2 digits stands for the months to determine years. But i believe they must have a specific numbers to skip (because if just add on the number of months like that, first 2 digits doesn't match up with the written MFD of the products on the packaging). We have to find out which digits/numbers they skip on their production date indicating system.

Hi, I'm new here. Sorry if I post in the wrong topic but it's urgent.
    Does anyone has experience to crack Chanel make up codes? I've just received a Chanel powder from e-shop and the code is 3303. Anyone knows if it's up to date?

Thank you!

WOW, my Antaeus (that i got in a swap about 4 months ago) is

2201. October 2001 right?

Wow, maybe its that the reason to i dont get more than 4 or 5 hours of long lasting with that!
    Or the previous owner didnt take much care with that.

9 and a half year!

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    WOW, my Antaeus (that i got in a swap about 4 months ago) is

2201. October 2001 right?

Wow, maybe its that the reason to i dont get more than 4 or 5 hours of long lasting with that!
    Or the previous owner didnt take much care with that.

9 and a half year!
    that's a baby. i just received a perfume bottle (chypre de coty) from the 1920/1930's. it's perfectly fine. if your perfume were compromised by bad storage (due to sunlight, mainly) it would not affect it's tenacity. the part that would be damaged first are always the topnotes. the ones that make your perfume last are the biggest molecules. they're pretty tough, although not per definition stable molecules. in general, the older the bottle, the better. these perfumes (all of them!) get regularly reformulated, often for the worse. 2001 was a year of a big reformulation round as new ifra rules where forces upon the perfumers. a lot of bad things happened in that year! you can tell by looking at the box. if there's a big list of ingredients, it's certainly the new formula. only a few things mentioned? you're lucky!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuk View Post
    Hi, I'm new here. Sorry if I post in the wrong topic but it's urgent.
    Does anyone has experience to crack Chanel make up codes? I've just received a Chanel powder from e-shop and the code is 3303. Anyone knows if it's up to date?

Thank you!
    that seems pretty on date. definitely very late of 2010 as production date.

Last edited by pluran; 20th June 2011 at 07:39 PM. Reason: mons veneris

It must be hell sweating it out thinking your fragrance is old after two years.

Quality perfumes that are well taken care of (kept cool and dry, with little exposure to light of any kind) will usually last fifty years or more with little damage. Very old fragrances tend to darken and develop a nail-vanish smell which usually fades shortly after putting it on the skin. No one knows more about it than Jean Kerleo, director of the Osmotheque living perfume museum in Versailles, and he recommends temperatures of 50-55f for most perfumes. For pure citruses the ideal temp is closer 40f.
    Last edited by pluran; 27th June 2011 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Quality perfumes that are well taken care of (kept cool and dry, with little exposure to light of any kind) will usually last fifty years or more with little damage.
    Very true.

Post no.78: Last edited by pluran; Yesterday at 07:39 PM. Reason: mons veneris

Umm... first time I've seen that given as a reason for editing one's post. Tell us more, pluran !

Basenotes Institution

Yes- me too- extremely curious Pluran ! *LOL*
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.