Code of Conduct

Default Is Terre D'Hermes really that good?

I have read quite a few posts about this scent and most have been really good, especially the responses from the ladies that have smelled it. Is there a site that offers big discounts on it in case my better half doesn't care for it? I'm not into the sweet colognes at all and I am hoping this one isn't a sweet smell.

Default Re: Is Terre D'Hermes really that good?

Not sweet by any stretch. Check ebay, scentiments.com, bigdiscount.com, etc., etc. Good luck.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I applied Terre d'Hermes for the first time a few days ago, after dinner. Wow...Very dense and very long lasting! I could smell it the next morning before showering almost as strong as after the first hour. I say be easy on application until you know how it reacts/lasts/radiates on you due to your particular skin chemistry. Very nice though and I will definitely wear it often (but applied very carefully).
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Yes it is not sweet. No matter how many say something is great, it all comes down to what you like. I think it is great. A number of perfume blogs consider it one of the best for 2006. But, try to go to one of the larger department stores and get a sample and give it a test before you buy.

I haven't purchased Terre yet, but I have sampled it twice.

The first time, I tried it on a tester card at Sephora, and was like, NO. NO. Absolutely not.

After so many raves, I decided that maybe it was a "skindependent" (TM) fragrance, and I headed back to Sephora for another go.

Its true.

After an hour or two, Terre started reminding me of...something. Oh how it plagued me.

Then it hit me like a brick- a castle brick to be exact. TdH reminds me of C&S 88 on my skin. Not exact mind you, more like 88 with the rose traded for orange.

Am I crazy or has someone else got that wet castle rock thing so many people smell in 88?

For me, it takes a while to get used to it. I've sampled it 3 times already. The first sample just smelled horrible to me. It could be because I was sampling 2-3 other frags at the same time.

But on the 2nd and 3rd time it smelled much much better. I took a 3rd sample a few weeks ago just to make sure it was good.

You should sample it at least twice just to make sure. It smelled slightly sweet only for the first couple minutes.

A fragrence is only as good as YOU think it is! There is nothing objective about scent. No matter how many people say a particular fragrence is God's gift to perumery, that means nothing until you test it.

I've had amazing reactions to it over the last week, but I would not wear it unless I liked it. Its not sweet at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayknight
    I haven't purchased Terre yet, but I have sampled it twice.

The first time, I tried it on a tester card at Sephora, and was like, NO. NO. Absolutely not.

After so many raves, I decided that maybe it was a "skindependent" (TM) fragrance, and I headed back to Sephora for another go.

Its true.

After an hour or two, Terre started reminding me of...something. Oh how it plagued me.

Then it hit me like a brick- a castle brick to be exact. TdH reminds me of C&S 88 on my skin. Not exact mind you, more like 88 with the rose traded for orange.

Am I crazy or has someone else got that wet castle rock thing so many people smell in 88?
    ME TOO!
    i said out loud " NO WAY!"
    but i really have to ask for a tiny vial to test on skin...for a day or two...
    the rave do influence your opinions....
    but it helps...
    i learned a lesson: "don't judge a scent by it's paper test"
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

Quite simply, this is my absolute favorite summer fragrance. Nothing beats it, nothing. I don't care about all of the Creed's, or other expensive niche fragrances. This is the holy grail of summer fragrances.

I've got a sample but have only worn it once - for about 4 hours until I felt compelled to wash it off. While it does have depth and some interesting notes, for me there's a *dishwashing detergent* note that just turns me off. My wife tried it too and didn't like it either. It may be a case of just needing several test runs, but at this point I'm happy to just let it socialize with my numerous other rarely touched samples.

I highly doubt Terre D'Hermes will ever be regarded as a classic, but as far as any of the trendy green, fresh, aqua, vomit frags go...it is the best of them all.

Get a sample and call it a day, There are SO many others to waste much more time with.

If you are just starting the journey into the world of fragrances, include a large dose of classics among the trendy crap...you won't be sorry.

BTW, Most guys on this site love everything they smell. Read carefully and often before investing.

I thought it was pretty good, but it didn't last all that long on me when I tested it.
    Renato

I'm going to rain on the parade now and say that I don't see what all
    the fuss is about with Terre. It didn't impress me at all. Sample first.
    If you like it, ignore my opinion.

It's an interesting scent which I'd like to wear more often, but it has poor longevity on me, 3-4 hours tops.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by CuyahogaJoe
    BTW, Most guys on this site love everything they smell. Read carefully and often before investing.
    That seems fairly insulting. I've been here a month longer than yourself and find that most scent reviews are split 50/50.

Regarding Terre D'Hermes, I tested a 5ml decant and was not sure I'd purchase a full bottle. I ordered a second 5 ml decant in a decant spending frenzy and found that of all the 100's of samples I'd tried, this was one of the best. I own a full bottle. I think it's liquid gold. If there was a hint of discontinuance of this juice , I'd order a case.

pretty well documented around here recently, but it does not play well with my skin for whatever reason and i wind up with a "bug spray" note that is unbearable

definitely try, because i wound up with a nib 3.4 oz spray that i've used all of twice now and will most likely never use again. not for me, and definitely not a safe blind buy

TdH is truly sublime.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Thumbs up Re: Is Terre D'Hermes really that good?

For me, YES. It was my hands down vote for best new frag this year. I absolutely love it. I went to Saks to try it and was ready to buy it on the spot, but the $90 price tag was a bit much. I went home and found the same bottle for $52 at Scentiments and had it shipped out immediately.

For me this is a great fit for all seasons, but I particularly like it in fall and winter. I am a fan of citrus, but this pepper creates a wonderful spicy quality to it.

I will agree with most that it seems to lack longevity, but most definitely needs to be tried.

If you don't like a fragrance, just explain why without flaming. If you like something explain why without flaming. Trashing a fragrance is so boring and insecure to me. Personally, if I don't like a fragrance I rarely comment to that point. It is only when I like a fragrance that I share my experience. Do what you will..but Terre d'Hermes is far from 'Trendy Crap'.

I just got it about a week ago.
    It is wonderful. It reminds me of a wet orange grove on a cool morning.

I do appreciate measured scepticism and critical remarks about fragrances. Reading praise only can cause wrong expectations, or a hype even. As sales assistants will never give honest advice, where do I find it, if not here? For me TdH is more pleasant than some said it would be. If it were stronger I might already have bought it. Of course, a sample never tells me all of a scent's secret, and warnings appreciated just as much as praise, provided both are honest.
    Last edited by narcus; 11th January 2007 at 01:32 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I gave it its first proper wearing yesterday. I'm climbing aboard the TdH Love Train. It's linear to my nose, someone's review said "lemons and earth," and that is in the ballpark. It lasts all day on me - even the citrus topnotes are still there at 5:00pm. I like it a lot, and imagine it will project even better in warmer weather. My drobe is quite light on warm-weather frags, so I am planning to pick this one up and call it signature.

Keep in mind, that this is after only one day of wearing it - YMMV.

Paul
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]“Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”[/FONT]

~ Robert Brault

Narcus, I agree with all you said. Criticism and critic can be done with class and in a constructive way; I was just pointing out that maybe others should give this method a try instead of shallow, flaming comments that do nothing but leave others shaking their heads and learning nothing.

Exclamation Re: Is Terre D'Hermes really that good?

Wow.. Thanks for all of the responses to this question. Does anyone know of a good company or a person for that matter that sells decants of this scent? I really want to try this one out now.

I find it quite good, but not great vis a vis an Egoiste. It does get noticed, so I have to remember to be judicious in application. TdH stayed with me even after showering 24 hours later.

I think so. TdH was one of only two bottles of scent that I paid full retail for in 2006 within an hour of first smelling in the store (the other was Dior Homme)! My opinion lessened after the first two wearings and I was wondering if I'd made a mistake. Fortunately, I then tried Nina Ricci's Memoire d'Homme for the first time, and was amazed that this and TdH are quite similar. They both share a prominent grapefruit note, replete with the sharp, sulfurous character that natural grapefruit has. Memoire d'Homme is a little rougher, and "dirtier" yet, and before I was able to compare it directly with TdH I was not too enamored with this (MdH), either.

However, my appreciation of both has just absolutely blossomed in the light of the other! I'm wearing TdH today, and it is still going strong after 4+ hours, the grapefruit note just now softening, replaced by cedar and vetiver, the patchouli and benzoin barely perceptible to my nose. I find this scent to be beautifully balanced between citrus/woods and light/heavy. This is one scent that I cannot stop myself from continually smelling my wrist!

Jeff

Not for me. I found it to have a quite plasticky aspect which I really didn't like. I also do not like the mineral thing.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

You can feel in Terre d'hermes Hermes spirit. It could not be D&G or Boss...
    It could not be Chanel either to my mind... It has some artistic, anti loud luxury, great quality dimension

In some way it has something from Chanel Allure Sport and YSL M7
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

It's well-crafted, but something about it didn't agree with me. I had to part with it, unfortunately.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

This is the feagrance that I wear when I know that I'll meet a person today who's important to me - be it a dear friend, or business partner.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayknight
    ...After so many raves, I decided that maybe it was a "skindependent" (TM) fragrance, and I headed back to Sephora for another go.
    Skindependent on the money. I wasn't that impressed until I sprayed my wrist. Smelled 10 times better on me than the test card. Blends very well with my natural woody/mossy scent. TdH is one of the few 5-star fragrances in my wardrobe.

As far as deals, I found a 100ml bottle for around $55 on ebay and bought a 50 ml for my dad from fragrancenet. Both were fairly good deals.

-Sloan
    Last edited by Sloan; 12th January 2007 at 02:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013
    As far as deals, I found a 100ml bottle for around $55 on ebay and bought a 50 ml for my dad from fragrancenet. Both were fairly good deals.
    -Sloan
    I saw it on www.bigdiscount.com yesterday for $42 (100ml/3.3oz EDT Tester)
    The site is legit. I checked with other BNoters via another thread and all responses were positive. I will be picking TdH up for myself soon from this site!

Paul
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]“Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”[/FONT]

~ Robert Brault

I really, really tried to like it but it just wasn't for me.
    There is a harshness on the top notes that made me feel very uncomfortable and the "mineral note" is overestimated.
    I felt the strange sensation of eating the white of a grapefruit, in short: sour.
    The inmensity of the buzz and the fact that i own close to all the fragarances of the house of Hermès made me go with very high expectations.
    I could see that people would like it, but again, i didn't make friends with it.
    I still have a bottle (got it unsniffed) but plan to give it to a friend whose bday is coming up and likes the scent.
    It doesn't make me think any less of Hermès but: you win some, you lose some as some say.
    cheers

oops - please delete this post!
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 12th January 2007 at 04:03 PM.

Does a tester's silliage last nearly as long? Any real differences?

To me, TdH is way too similar to this fragrance http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121372.html ... Did I say similar? I meant that Hermes took the original composition, changed one or two notes, diluted it less than usual, then slapped the TdH sticker on it. It's delicious, but I have a bottle of Rocabar in my cabinet... it's the original and supierior fragrance to me. No offense intended to any TdH lovers, but that is my opinion on it, and I hope some one else sees the similarities between the two. ROCabar, TERRE de Hermes? Coincidence? I think not. File this in the solved conspiracies folder.
    - Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Subhalen
    Does a tester's silliage last nearly as long? Any real differences?
    A tester is a bottle that comes without a cap, and no box. From what I have heard, testers are usually bottles that have sat the longest on the shelf, usually about six months or so. They are full unless otherwise specified.
    - Rich

Quote Originally Posted by smndrummer
    To me, TdH is way too similar to this fragrance http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121372.html ... Did I say similar? I meant that Hermes took the original composition, changed one or two notes, diluted it less than usual, then slapped the TdH sticker on it. It's delicious, but I have a bottle of Rocabar in my cabinet... it's the original and supierior fragrance to me. No offense intended to any TdH lovers, but that is my opinion on it, and I hope some one else sees the similarities between the two. ROCabar, TERRE de Hermes? Coincidence? I think not. File this in the solved conspiracies folder.
    - Rich
    With all due respect, I have to say that I'm not familiar with Rocabar, but frankly, as far as I'm concerned, Jean-Claude Ellena (not just some random perfumer) has spent quite some time and dedication on this fragrance. I haven't seen anyone compare it to Rocabar, and I don't think they ever intended of re-releasing that in a new spirit or something.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Many testers do come with a cap, it depends on the company. Often they have a sticker on them that identifies them as a tester, and some companies print tester info directly on the bottle.

A tester is what's in the department store that you can spray on yourself to test it. It's the exact same thing as a regular bottle. It may be new and unusued and "fresher" than another unopened bottle that's been sitting there for a long time, or it might be half empty and stale.

A tester is a bottle that comes without a cap, and no box. From what I have heard, testers are usually bottles that have sat the longest on the shelf, usually about six months or so. They are full unless otherwise specified.
    - Rich

So I just recieved this today, and opened it about 8 minutes ago. Got it for $38 for 100mL on ebay, unused tester. Got it based on this thread: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=191017

While no drunken females have confessed their desire for me just yet (I haven't encountered any humans yet), it is quite nice.

For all the descriptions of earth and mineral, I expected something very esoteri, evoking soil. However, it's actually quite accessible.

To my nose what stands out the most is a sharp woodsmoked orange scent. Within the smoke I can see what people mean by "mineral". I imagine this might have the potential to give some people headaches, if you're sesitive to the "high frequency" range of scents. This might become an isue with me, but so far so good. I don't think it smells at all like earth/soil, which is what I was expecting. It also evokes forest leaves and coniferous trees and plants like pine or spruce.

I don't have a devellopped enough schnozz to nput names to the other things I smell in there, but it's not something wild that is hard to appreciate. It is really nice to smells and notice the different components though. It isn't one dimensional at all.
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 13th January 2007 at 02:53 PM.

Man, I like it! When I first tried it, I didn't like it at all. But it grew on me, and now I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents
    Narcus, I agree with all you said. Criticism and critic can be done with class and in a constructive way; I was just pointing out that maybe others should give this method a try instead of shallow, flaming comments that do nothing but leave others shaking their heads and learning nothing.
    Exactly! I fully agree, JWS. Our posts just happen to be near each other, and I am sorry that mine was misunderstood. I think the good and the bad impressions from any scent shoud be voiced - with class, if that's possible, yes! .
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Does anyone else get this impression - when you wear this, after a while of drying down, you smell like someone who smokes cigarettes, who's wearing cologne!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Wink Re: Is Terre D'Hermes really that good?

lol Not from Terre d'Hermes but the other day I was wearing a really light spray of L'Artisan Tea For Two and entered a small consignment/botique to do some treasure hunting. I had walked to the rear of the narrow store and overheard a woman who had entered after I did say to the SA "Is someone SMOKING in here? I smell SMOKE!" (No Smoking signs everywhere)

The SA said: "It must be from that new couch we received this morning. I KNOW that woman must have been a heavy smoker the way she rasped when she talked". I happened to be near the only couch in the shop and I checked the couch itself after that for tobacco odor but it was free of scent.

I slowly worked my way to the front via the wall opposite the one she was near and as I was leaving, with the door open and me pausing in the doorway while a nice breeze passed by on its way into the store, I said: "WOW! You should smell the smoke out HERE!"..and I left. As I was getting into my vehicle I noticed both women standing just outside the shop with the door wide open, looking everywhere for the 'smoker'
    Last edited by kbe; 14th January 2007 at 08:02 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR
    Does anyone else get this impression - when you wear this, after a while of drying down, you smell like someone who smokes cigarettes, who's wearing cologne!
    No, and as a reformed smoker that would kill any scent for me.

I initially found Terre D'Hermes to be a lighter version of Vetiver Tonka (but cheaper). However, after wearing it for a day, no matter how pleasant I found it to wear something told me that I would get bored of it pretty quickly. I think maybe it's because my favourite fragrances possess something warm and sensual in their composition. With Terre D'Hermes, it's fresh but in a cold and sexless way - I find it severely lacking in something.

To me, TdH is way too similar to this fragrance http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121372.html ... Did I say similar? I meant that Hermes took the original composition, changed one or two notes, diluted it less than usual, then slapped the TdH sticker on it...- Rich
    I just don't see this similarity. I own and love both of these scents, and while they're not polar opposites, I find very little in common between them. TdH and Memoire d'Homme, on the other hand...

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by wicozani
    I just don't see this similarity... while they're not polar opposites, I find very little in common between them.
    seconded. I have taken Roccabar out of my wardrobe but consider TdH bottleworthy.

I tested it on my wrist today...it smelled like some sort of orange scented cleaning agent. Not gonna get this one...

Question Re: Is Terre D'Hermes really that good?

Does anyone else get a slightly sour note several, several hours into the drydown? It appears when everything else has disappeared, and reminds me of sour sweat.

It's an outstanding fragrance best worn in warm temperatures. One of the few which satisfies on all accounts (in warm temperatures). Anything but cold and sexless. Women love it. I haven't known one who didn't.
    Last edited by pluran; 16th January 2007 at 04:26 AM.

Well, I think the positive responses outweigh the negatives and I will have to break down and get a bottle. Any places that you know of that are very reasonable? I will even consider a tester due to the responses on my last post.

Quote Originally Posted by scentconnoisseur
    Does anyone else get a slightly sour note several, several hours into the drydown? It appears when everything else has disappeared, and reminds me of sour sweat.
    Lord knows what it is, but I'm with you, it's definitely there, kinda like that cumin note in Tauer's Desert Marocain.

I personally like the beginning of the scent, but it dries down to a bold note of treated wood which makes me wanna wash it off.
    Last edited by iMaverick; 16th January 2007 at 01:43 AM.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Where to get it??? I'm prettty sure it is one of the T.J.Maxx regulars. It can be had for 10-15 bucks for 1.7 mils

This thread inspired me to try it again. After a shower, 2 sprays per inner arm...I still get cedar and citrus and the musty damp basement note is stronger in the mid notes.

I'm going to re apply (less than an hour after initial app.) and go throw darts. I'll let you know if I get any comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Subhalen
    Well, I think the positive responses outweigh the negatives and I will have to break down and get a bottle. Any places that you know of that are very reasonable? I will even consider a tester due to the responses on my last post.
    The best bang for your buck that I've seen is a 3.3oz tester at www.bigdiscount.com for around $43. I've never seen Terre at TJ Maxx.

Paul

~ Robert Brault

If you wait and keep checking ebay like an OCD maniac you'll eventually get a good deal. I got mine for $38 unopened tester 100mL.

Quite honestly, I think this frag is being over-estimated. After 6 sprays in less than an hour, I didn't even notice it 1 1/2 hours later. Maybe it's just me, but I can't imagine 6 sprays of anything else I own...usually 1 is too much for me.

Longevity is a -5, almost as bad as Rose 31, I've never known 2 more fleeting frags.

Skin Chemistry is a funny thing...Terre d'Hermes and Rose 31 are two of my longest lasting frags. I can smell them the next morning in the shower.

TdH is very long lasting on me, and doesn't change much; it's as lovely later in the day as it was earlier. I don't get much 'sourness' from it, but then I am a grapefruit fan.

If you don't like grapefruit, you probably won't like Terre d'Hermès.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by GenuineImitationLife
    TdH is very long lasting on me, and doesn't change much; it's as lovely later in the day as it was earlier. I don't get much 'sourness' from it, but then I am a grapefruit fan.

If you don't like grapefruit, you probably won't like Terre d'Hermès.
    I like grapefruit, but the sour finish I get at the very end is more like grapefruit gone bad, than the fresh grapefruit I prefer. Maybe my bottle came from a bad batch?