Code of Conduct

Question your favorite work scents for women

I work for a multi-national firm with offices all over the world. The NYC branch is the HQ of our American subsidiary. There are about 400 people here, and it's rather conservative (trading, commodities), however, I work in Communications which is by far the coolest department in the place (aside from the mail room). We frequently gloat how we are a bit of an island in this place.

Anyhoo, I have been observing my collection and seeing that I have a lot of going-out frags, romantic encounter frags, casual Sunday frags, but perhaps not enough work frags.

Sometimes I wear my heavier, oriental stuff here. I don't think it's wrong, per se, although I know there are many theories on what to wear to work. Some of the things in my 'drobe I think are work-acceptable include:
    • Mitsouko
    • Light Blue
    • L'Insolent
    • Kyoto
    • Alien (finished my minis)
    • Clinique Chemistry
    • Victoria's Secret Dream Angels Halo
    • Ysatis
    • Noa
    Some things I would like to own that I think are work acceptable include
    • D&G Sicily (or would this be too "late night/romantic" frag?)
    • Samsara and/or Shalimar
    • Coco Chanel
    • Bvulgari White Tea (or Green Tea, or both)
    Some things I have coming that I think are work acceptable:
    • Balenciega Christobal
    • Van Cleef & Arpels Murmure
    I'd appreciate some suggestions based on my drobe and things I've posted here, or just your favorite work frags. I work in a creative profession and I'm pretty comfortable with my role as "corporate creative communicator" but I want to have some serious, "I'm one to be reckoned with" frags, and perhaps keep some of my more sexy frags at home instead of, as I do now, occasionally wear them to work (however, I doubt anyone's going to be getting "that" close to me that they would smell a little, say, Black Orchid on me...but still).
    Last edited by mochi227; 17th January 2007 at 03:33 PM.
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

Default Re: your favorite work scents for women

Chanel No. 19 - roses, green leaves, iris. Classy and likeable.
    Jolie Madame - violet, gardenia, and leather. Refined but approachable.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Because I'm wearing Jicky today, I'm reminded how special it is. Conservative in its way, but distinctive. Being a creative director myself, I'm comfortable that this says I'm an artist. I often forget about Jicky, because it doesn't make me swoon. I guess it makes me feel centered. Don't know if it will work for you, but it's the first thing that came to mind.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

The only one in your list that I have worn and can therefore comment on is Samsara. I have worn it to the office before but find that, in my rather small and crowded office, this fragrance can sometimes makes its presence known more than I would like.
    My favourite perfume for the office is one I only discovered recently, Fidji. Even when I spray it very liberally so that it is quite noticeable to others it remains a subtle and pleasant fragrance, never cloying.
    Last edited by Lalage; 17th January 2007 at 05:22 PM.

Blog Entries

When I was within an office environment I tended to rely upon my wood dominated scents and chypres. They convey a sense of professionalism, independence, and success without compromising femininity.

A few favourites were:

Carven Intrigue
    Jasper Conran Woman
    Paco Rabanne Ultraviolet
    Cerruti 1881 pour Femme
    Cerruti 1881 Eau D'Ete (2003)
    Pierre Cardin Choc
    TBS Japanese Musk
    Carven Ma Griffe
    Chanel No.19
    Dior Eau Sauvage
    Dior diorella
    Lanvin Arpege EDT
    Miss Dior
    Fendi Donna
    Lentheric Tweed
    Givenchy III
    Gres Cabochard
    Guerlain Mitsouko EDT
    Guy Larouche Fidji
    Moschino Couture!
    Paco Rabanne XS pour Elle
    TBS Satsuma
    Gres Cabotine
    Gucci Envy pour femme
    Hermes Hiris
    Montana Parfum d'Elle
    L'Air du Temps
    Balmain Miss Balmain
    Balmain Jolie Madame
    Revlon Charlie (vintage / Blue)
    Yardley Sandalwood
    YSL Nu EDP
    Paul Smith Woman

I know these aren't all woody but they have all been well received and complemented within a professional / work environment.

I believe that almost any perfume can be worn in any situation as long as it is worn discreetly and with respect for others.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

I love the Balmains for work. I work in a hospital so have to keep it light and fresh. Sicily is also good. I agree that as long as you keep it close to the body you will be ok in most environments.

I try to steer clear of sillage at work, though others don't. One colleague applies Angel with a sand blaster so whatever I wear is ok. No one has critiqued her usage yet so all is well with fragrances at work.

Hi Mochi, your job sounds impressive. Just my two cents worth, but I think it would be more in application. If I am going to be around a lot of people, I would wear what I want, but depending on the circumstances and in your case job, I would just apply very, very lightly.

Jolie Madame, for sure, not too heavily applied. Very classy and you won't be mistaken for anyone else.

Hi, mochi277!

Sorry, but I find many of your perfume-suggestions way too strong for the office. It doas of course depend on how close you are working with others, but some of them you are mentioning are heavy stuff!

I have just stopped to wear perfume at the office, because one of my co-workers is allergic. I have started to wear pefrumed bodylotions instead. - That works, the allergican doas not get disturbed. (I don´t understand this, but I say yes, thank you...!) This sounds boring, but it is a much more pleasant experience to wear only bodylotion than I ever had dremt of, so this is OK for me. And the best part: I can wear whatever frag I want when it is a bodylotion, I don´t have to consider if it is too strong or not.
    Last edited by Margareta; 17th January 2007 at 06:17 PM.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Mochi, I love your list! I would add Gucci edp (the brown colored one) it's a woody scent with very pleasant sillage.

Depends on where you work, doesn´t it? E.g. in the hospital I would wear very low-sillage scent, if any. However - Bulgari Feme - my proposal.

the least sillage possible, a "skin scent", Clair de Musc is great for work but also Un Lys.
    for hospital environment the earthy dry Iris Silver Mist is perfect! it has "sterile" medicinal top/middle notes that makes suitable.

Mochi, your job sounds like so much fun! I'm jealous.

I think you'll love Cristobal for daytime. It's sweet, comforting, and never intrusive.

For work wear I like fragrances that give me energy, and I think (hope) smell "positive" to others. EnJoy is one that's great anytime, anywhere.

For me it has to be City Glam for women, I get many compliments on it. Now that it's getting colder I might change it for Lolita Lempicka L and Kenzo Amour but I really prefer fresh scents at work and City Glam is one of the freshest I own.

Great thread, and great suggestions for me to try! There are so many things I love that I would never wear to work either because they are too strong, or send the wrong message (I supervise younger men, so overly sexy, heavy, or musky scents feel all wrong). Like others here, my cold weather work faves are mostly in the woody/chypre vein:
    Chanel No. 19
    Frederic Malle Iris Poudre
    Norell
    Ivoire de Balmain

I've just discovered SL Daim Blond, which I think could work, as would FM En Passant. If I don't have a meeting or presentation, I'll wear Samsara EDT, Jicky EDT, Tabac Blond EDC, Parfum Sacre, Tann Rokka or 10 Corso Como, applied with a light hand. And I'm likely to get one of the Ineke perfumes for spring/summer.

I'm a student, but have a part time job at a home for elderly.Since you get very close to the people who needs help/nursing I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing a heavy scent to work.Mostly I stick to Attraction,Bois d'iris,Provocative woman and Pure Poison.

Hi Mochi,
    I think the Bvlgari White Tea (or Green Tea, or both) would be very versatile and neutral for work.
    In addition to that, I would strongly recommend Jolie Madame and Diorissimo. These two beauties conjure up images of independent working women IMHO. :bounce:

Mochi, I think your list is great... however, I've found that Coco is a little distracting for me when it comes to work. It's lovely, but a tad lush. Samsara, even in EdT, is also much too strong for me in a work situation.

I think chypres and green scents are a good work choice. I also think that iris is a perfect choice for work, as it projects an image of sophistication and elegance, and always makes me feel a bit more impressive. Chanel No. 19,as many people have said, is a great work frag, but I also like Hermes Hiris.

You may also want to try SJP Lovely, which is fresh and light but not boring, or other airy scents like Cristalle EdT, Bulgari's Eau The Verte, or Guerlain's Vetiver.

Favorite Notes:
    Rose, Apricot, Violet, Leather, Iris, Blackberry, Saffron, Musk, Incense

Wow, I love my own thread!

Great suggestions everyone. I am definitely on the hunt for Jolie Madame now. It does sound just right. I will also be looking into some of the other suggestions, and No. 19 has been on my FBW list for some time now.

Coincidentally, this thread reminded me of one of my mother's classics: Ivoire de Balmain! The classics are classics for a reason....:bounce:
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

It makes me very happy when women wear fragrances at work that are sharp,clean, not heady, slightly flowery and very "conventionally pretty".