Code of Conduct

Default Avon calling! Any recommendations?

After a bit of a spending spree I'm looking for some reasonable (read that as cheap!) scents.

I have enough big beast scents suitable for winter and formalwear generally. When spring arrives and my small sample of Bigarade Concentree has all gone, I can alternate between Terre d'Hermes and Taylor of Old Bond Victorian Lime, but a couple of cheap bright sunny scents would give me some variety.

I see that Avon have a wide range and it is very cheap, but beyond that I know nothing. Any experience of these scents and recommendations/warnings? Any recommendations outside of this range also gratefully received.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Default Re: Avon calling! Any recommendations?

I am waiting to try Tomorrow for Him which is not yet available in Thailand. They have the female version. I have heard this one won the FIFI Awards in 2006.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk
    I am waiting to try Tomorrow for Him which is not yet available in Thailand. I have heard this one won the FIFI Awards in 2006.
    Indeed it did:
    Previously, I wrote:
    The initial impression is sweet and vaguely gourmand, but not exactly edible. The chocolate is there, but not like a Hershey bar, more like cocoa powder or unsweetened baker's chocolate. Eventually, it recedes and the patchouli comes to the fore, adding spiciness and some more traditional qualities. The bottle is handsome, as well -- obviously inspired by Dior Homme. http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=188444
    Check out this thread for some more Avon recommendations:
    Avon representatives usually have samples in the form of sealed towelettes, and are usually happy to share them with you. Also, men's colognes are very often on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by michaeld39
    Victorian Lime, but a couple of cheap bright sunny scents would give me some variety.

I see that Avon have a wide range and it is very cheap, but beyond that I know nothing. Any experience of these scents and recommendations/warnings? Any recommendations outside of this range also gratefully received.

Mesmerize for men is a very good scent - yet a little secret to many.

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus
    Mesmerize for men is a very good scent - yet a little secret to many.
    Yes it is, and i always am "about to" write a review for it and then i forget doing it...(just as a note: the woman's version is not on the directory).
    Others i like: Wild Musk, Black Suede, Tomorrow for him ,and strangely i like also ProXtreme.
    That's only on the men's side.

Blog Entries

I agree w/ the Tomorrow recommendations. I friggin' LOVE that one!!! It reminds me a lot of Lolita Lempicka au masculin.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Thrax

My Avon's include Mesmerize, Touch by Black Suede (by Avon), RPM, and Interact.

Thanks for all the great comments and to Advocate for the link to the previous discussion.

After looking through the reviews in the directory for the scents mentioned I'm still undecided. The general consensus seemed to be rather underwhelmed by this line.

I'm very ambiguous about strong vanilla notes, so I'll give Mesmerize a miss. I already have a big stash of Eau de Quinine so I've got my G&T needs covered.

The grapefruit/cedar accord of Perceive would seem to put it in the same ballpark (or maybe national park if its not so close!) as the sainted Terre d'Hermes - so despite the mixed reviews I'd like to give that a try.

I've wanted to try Lolita Lempicka Masculin for a while, so I would like to try Tomorrow.

The general message I'm picking up is that the 'try before you buy' maxim appies just as much to Avon as to any other house.

Thanks again.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Quote Originally Posted by michaeld39
    Thanks for all the great comments and to Advocate for the link to the previous discussion. After looking through the reviews in the directory for the scents mentioned I'm still undecided. The general consensus seemed to be rather underwhelmed by this line.
    Thank you!

I would not say that Avon "underwhelms" me. I would say that Avon fragrances, especially the newer releases of the last 5-6 years, are generally quite attractive, complex, and long-lasting. They are easily the equal, if not the superior, of most department-store-type fragrances.

However, they seem to follow prevailing market trends, so they are not original, ground-breaking, or revolutionary. They probably could not stand up against most niche compositions.

Of course, they can be had for about $10 or $20 a bottle, so perhaps a high degree of artistic originality is not really a fair expectation. "Smells good" is probably a fairer yardstick, and they certainly do that.

The only two I have tried up to this point are Black Suede (very good) and Wild Country (from a sample- decent). I have yet to try Mesmerize, but I'm interested from the positive comments it gets around here.