Code of Conduct

Default What's the volume of "a spray"? How many sprays make up 1 ML?

Hello, parfumeurs and fellow enthusiasts:

I have a silly question. I'm wondering what the volume of one spray is. I'm guessing that it will vary depending on the manufacturer, but I was hoping that some fellow spray decanters could give me some insight into how many sprays make up a sample or decant. The searches I tried on the intarwub yielded acre/hectare conversions for spraying pesticides. I found conversion sites to where I could convert from Biblical measurements to modern-day metric, but the volume of a typical parfum spritz was nowhere to be found.

Anyway...Time for some first-hand research! How many sprays do you use to make a 1mL sample? A 5mL decant? After injuring my 100mL bottle of L'artisan's Timbuktu, I ended up making a 5mL decant for my purse using the spray method, but I didn't track how many sprays went into the bottle. It was a lot, that's all I remember. I want to calculate the average number of sprays each bottle has. This way I can tally up the total millilitres of perfume that I own, and figure out how long my collection will last. I only use one spray of the stronger ones, like Prada and Angel. Others like Timbuktu I will use 3 or 4 sprays all over my body before I get dressed.

Anyway, thanks for reading my silly thread. Your help is appreciated, even though the actual size of each spray probably varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, I'm guessing that most perfume sprayers are in a similar ballpark.
    Last edited by linnea; 18th January 2007 at 01:39 AM.

Default Re: What's the volume of "a spray"? How many sprays make up 1 ML?

<I want to calculate the average number of sprays each bottle has. This way I can tally up the total millilitres of perfume that I own, and figure out how long my collection will last.>

Somebody has too much time on her hands.

I've been wondering the same thing (phrased differently - how long does a 10ml decant last?) One answer from another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by oolong
    I usually find that there are about 80 squirts per 10ml so if you get a 1oz (30ml) bottle, doing the math, you should get about 60 uses with the 4 squirts you say that you use.
    Although the amount probably varies a bit depending on the mechanism and spraying technique, I'd say we should figure out a reasonable average and put it on a FAQ somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Eau_Boy
    <I want to calculate the average number of sprays each bottle has. This way I can tally up the total millilitres of perfume that I own, and figure out how long my collection will last.>

Somebody has too much time on her hands.
    I believe it was Our Lord Jesus who once said, "Don't be a jerk." (the guys from PA are a little more fearless with the four letter words than I am).

Anyway...personally, I'm trying to stop spending so much money on perfume by tallying how long it will take me to get through what I already own. I have at least 950mL of perfume among 19 bottles (a SMALL collection compared to what some of the Basenoters have). Based on the information that zoop has helpfully posted, that's approximately the equivalent of 6,360 sprays. even if I use eight sprays a day, it will take me about 795 days to get through it all. Thanks zoop... looking at my collection in terms of sheer volume and usage has helped.

Also, you can use phbbcode or basic HTML to reply to posts and "quote" them as opposed to retyping or cutting-and-pasting someone's post just to be snide. You can also turn on rich-text editing in your user control panel.

Thanks for the tech advise, but I'm quite the technophobe/dummy and it's just easier to do it the way I did than try to learn new tricks.
    As for being snide, I appologize. It's just that your inclination to calculate and document the frag minutia couldn't be farther from my inclination to glaze over in the face of such a task.
    No offense intended. I meant it in jest, I assure you.

EB.

Eau_boy, thanks for your post.

I forgot to include my bottle of Musc Ravageur (100mL) which is en route through the post. That tallies my collection to...wait a minute. I need to spray some fragrance and relax to stop thinking about these numbers!

Although I am sure that it does vary from bottle to bottle, I would agree with about 10 sprays per 1 ml in my experience.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

If the spray is from a Creed bottle I would say it would be 5-7 sprays at most. They have a long, high volume spray mechanism that delivers much more scent than most other manufacturers' bottles with each pump.

other threads with a similar querry:

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...php?t=171319+-

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=173892
    Last edited by kbe; 20th January 2007 at 01:41 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Bumping.

There's a bit of cross-posting happening I think, so I might bump three threads with a link to this article on NST:

http://www.nstperfume.com/2008/08/19...llection-last/

oliverandco

as far i know, one company of bottle glasses supplier, has in their catalogue the right amount of ml per spray in each bottle.
    so, is possible to know this if you buy these bottles.

the company is http://www.oskar-karla.at/english/index.html

i hope you like it !

I sprayed hundreds of different perfumes into 1ml glass vials for the church fete. As far as I remember, the average was about 16 squirts. It depended how old the perfume was. The older ones had longer timed squirts. Just spray a load and see. Some 1ml vials will be on their way to you.

Is using up a whole .7ml sample in one wearing too much? I've been dumping it all on my chest though and dapping my wrists on it, so I have a shirt and usually a jacket over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Is using up a whole .7ml sample in one wearing too much? I've been dumping it all on my chest though and dapping my wrists on it, so I have a shirt and usually a jacket over it.
    I suppose "too much" depends on what fragrance it is and where you plan on going today.

Should give you a decent idea of what it smells like, though.

I guess it all depends really.

I just completed a forensic science class (just a semester) I'd imagine you need some good tools to accurately measure on this level and a decent sense of what you're doing. Naturally I'd probably be a little lost, lol but there are a lot of things to consider and this is just the precautionary phase.

Is any of the mist being lost in a spray? Is it perfectly angled into what you're spring it in? Is any getting on your fingers? How many sprays miss a little bit? All of these are factors. Also, is the amount of juice put into the bottle the exact amount that comes out?

It ends up being very minuscule overall, but dozens/hundreds of minuscule things end up being vast differences overall.

All I can say is, if you wear a scent every day you should be able to gauge how long it lasts you. Example, if you always use 4 sprays on a 1.6 fragrance and it’s gone in 4 months, and then it's safe to assume :P

Sometimes we gotta let go of the rational aspect of things and step into the intuitive state

Old thread from 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    Old thread from 2011.
    Locked it so it can return back to the grave.

Pay attention to thread dates, everyone