Code of Conduct

Question Muscs Koublai Khan - a sweet musky floral ??

-

I have acquired samples of Muscs Koublai Khan from 2 different sources and have worn them for over a few weeks now. All I get is a sweet floral opening which persists for 30 minutes and then dries down to a subtle musk base with hints of incense.

I am not getting any Kouros-killer wet donkey or sweaty armpit hormonal smells here, as discussed on Basenotes. Its not even as "Sexy" as Musc Ravageur.

Whats going on here ? Is my skin chemistry destroying this mighty potion ? Or are my samples wonky ?

-
    Last edited by zztopp; 18th January 2007 at 08:26 AM.
    -

Default Re: Muscs Koublai Khan - a sweet musky floral ??

Three kinds of musk
    Civet
    Castoreum
    Costus (wet hair)
    Labdanum
    Ambergris
    Ambrette seeds (musky)

MKK isn't as strong as Kouros, but it's far more genuinely animalic.

Last edited by pluran; 9th July 2011 at 08:07 AM.

Blog Entries

Even though still markedly animalic, I too get a very wearable white floral musk scent when I wear Musc Koublai Khan most times. This was how I realised the similarity between this and SL Clair du Musc! CdM is MKK's innocent clean living baby sister - pure and sweet but still with the family trait of unbridled animalic excess / appetites.

Just try layering Kiehl's Original Musk Oil #1 (or EDT) with Clair du Musc and you will really see more of the family resemblance...
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    Kiehl's Original Musk Oil #1

I have seen others compare these two, and though Kiehl's is a relatively worthy fragrance, it's lightyears away from the quality of Muscs Koublaï Khän. The top notes are somewhat reminiscent of MKK, but ultimately the similarities are vague to practically non-existent.
    Last edited by pluran; 19th January 2007 at 01:23 AM.

The wet dog overpowers the flowers whenever I wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran

civet, castoreum, costus roots (smells like a wet dog), cistus labdanum, ambergris, Morrocan rose, cumin, ambrette seeds, patchouli

This idea that certain skin chemistries "destroy" scents is profoundly misunderstood. I hear both men and women say this all the time. Healthy skin with plenty of moisture and necessary nutrients should hold the scent well. I'm an athlete and sweat my ass off. Muscs Koublai Khan has always been tenacious and extremely long lasting regardless of what I'm doing. My girlfriend likes my natural smell but also loves the smell of MKK when we engage in other activities.

[/LEFT]
    Thanks for the notes list.

Maybe its because I have been wearing it in the recent cold weather ? I have observed that weather can have a profound effect on some of the fragrances - for example, I used to wear Original Santal in the summers, and the notes of orange blossom and coriander were most prominent on my skin. But wearing it in winter has a different effect - a clear sandalwod note is prominent, while the orange blossom and coriander are relegated to the background. Tabarome Millesime changes in a similar way - in summer the ginger becomes especially pronounced.

I have samples of civet and castoreum, so I know what those two notes smell like, but I am dumbfounded by the way MKK is acting on my skin. Perhaps the animalic components might come alive in heat ? I will try wearing it to the gym later today and see how it reacts ...
    -

zztopp-

I got the same thing out of it. I really like it though, so I wear it.

Smells that way on me too, zztop. I don't get any of those Noah's Ark notes either. In fact I find MKK kind of boring and I almost never wear it.

I'll never forget the first time I sniffed my decant of MKK. I opened the bottle, put my nose to the sprayer, and immediately put the top back on. My jaw dropped. I opened and smelled again. Yup...to me it smells exactly like a crotch after exercising or just sitting around in tight pants all day. Funky but sweet and moist. I get a bit of floral just on the edges of this scent, like the analog of linen spray on the undergarments of whoever was wearing the pants.

These notes: civet, castoreum, costus roots (smells like a wet dog), cistus labdanum, ambergris, Morrocan rose, cumin, ambrette seeds, patchouli

are pretty powerful stuff. I guess it's the Morrocan rose that gives it its floral edge.
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

Jake- Want to get rid of yours?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mochi227
    I'll never forget the first time I sniffed my decant of MKK. I opened the bottle, put my nose to the sprayer, and immediately put the top back on. My jaw dropped. I opened and smelled again. Yup...to me it smells exactly like a crotch after exercising or just sitting around in tight pants all day. Funky but sweet and moist. I get a bit of floral just on the edges of this scent, like the analog of linen spray on the undergarments of whoever was wearing the pants.

These notes: civet, castoreum, costus roots (smells like a wet dog), cistus labdanum, ambergris, Morrocan rose, cumin, ambrette seeds, patchouli

are pretty powerful stuff. I guess it's the Morrocan rose that gives it its floral edge.
    If you like that floral aspect then you have to write to Serena at ava-luxe.com and request a wee sample of her Rasa parfum, the old formulation (http://www.ava-luxe.com/2005/scentindex/rasa.html). I think she is considering rereleasing it as an extreme / intense version of the current blend. It is MKK in a pretty dress... no, I'm wrong.... It is MKK's sweetheart and she is beautiful! Any one who knows and loves the beauty of MKK cannot fail to love this beauty. But remember to ask for the old formulation - not the current one...

"A sexy and provocative blend of musks infused with spicy red rose. A very womanly fragrance."

Notes: Indian Musk, Kenya Musk, Skin Musk, Egyptian Musk, Peruvian Balsam, Ambergris, Civet,Orris Root - (IRIS PALLIDA), Russian Rose - (ROSA DAMASCENA)

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Quote Originally Posted by tmp00
    Jake- Want to get rid of yours?
    It's just a decant and there's not much left. And I don't hate it. I just don't love it.

Quote Originally Posted by jakelosangeles
    It's just a decant and there's not much left. And I don't hate it. I just don't love it.
    Its a nice enough scent, but probably not bottle worthy to me.

Musc Ravageur over MKK.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    Its a nice enough scent, but probably not bottle worthy to me.

Musc Ravageur over MKK.
    Oooh... I had to have BOTH, but I'd choose MKK first. I prize my bell jar of it so much.

Oh crud...I forgot to include the 100mL bottle of Musc Ravageur in my collection since it hasn't arrived yet...that brings my perfume collection up to over 1,050 mL in volume. A small collection compared to what other Basenoters have... but that is enough perfume to last me for at least 2 1/2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by linnea
    Oooh... I had to have BOTH, but I'd choose MKK first. I prize my bell jar of it so much.
    Did the fact that its one of the "exclusives" make you want it more ?
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    Did the fact that its one of the "exclusives" make you want it more ?
    No... MKK is my favorite musk ever. Musc Ravageur cost just as much as my bottle of MKK, but it's different (yet still fantastic, don't get me wrong!). MR is a lot sweeter. I like MKK the best, but I still had to have both.