Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 31 to 44 of 44

Thread: Waste of money

  1. #31

    Default Re: Waste of money

    X-Centric (what was I thinking). I think I was attracted by the bottle.
    Tommy
    Polo Blue
    All this happened several years ago. Now I try not to buy things that seem a waste of money. I received many compliments wearing even these three, but I did not enjoy smelling them, and could not wait till the smell disappears.

    Have some short-lasting frags too, but I like how they smell and received them as gifts. One of them is Kemzo Jungle which I wish lasted much longer.

  2. #32

    Default Re: Waste of money

    I considered that men’s eau de cologne was initially intended to please the user only as a refraichissant and only for a few minutes right after application so for more than twenty years I was using Guerlain’s Cologne Imperial just that way until Hermès came along with the original that they renamed later Eau d’orange verte. Never regarded it for a moment as a waste of money. However, the bottle of Grey Flannel I picked up at T J Max for next to nothing that I never used because the smell violently revolted me (and I am totally tolerant when it comes to scents), that was a terrible waste of good money.

  3. #33

    Default Re: Waste of money

    Quote Originally Posted by trumpet_guy
    Easily a third of my wardrobe I wouldn't purchase again, knowing what I
    know now about my tastes in scents. Still, I might have enjoyed decants
    of most of them, but unfortunately I now have fairly full bottles of 25
    scents I almost never wear. Decants are the way to go. Sample a
    scent through multiple, proper, full-day wearings and then decide which
    ones you really like. My wardrobe would be easily half its size.
    I could not agree with you more about extended testing first. I usually find there is a honeymoon period with a new fragrance. After the honeymoon is over the limitations of a fragrance usually become very noticeable to me. Unless I can get a full bottle for an absolute killer price, I'm inclined to get a decant first and evaluate the fragrance over an extended test.

    Besides, how many of us will ever be able to use all of the juice we have? By Basenotes standards, I have a very modest collection, about 15 bottles and 16 decants and I figure most will go bad before I can use everything I've got, even if I don't get anything new over the next several years.

  4. #34

    Default Re: Waste of money

    Quote Originally Posted by oolong
    I could not agree with you more about extended testing first. I usually find there is a honeymoon period with a new fragrance. After the honeymoon is over the limitations of a fragrance usually become very noticeable to me. Unless I can get a full bottle for an absolute killer price, I'm inclined to get a decant first and evaluate the fragrance over an extended test.

    Besides, how many of us will ever be able to use all of the juice we have? By Basenotes standards, I have a very modest collection, about 15 bottles and 16 decants and I figure most will go bad before I can use everything I've got, even if I don't get anything new over the next several years.
    I second that, wholeheartedly. I've only got 13 full-sized bottles and am determined not to go beyond 15. As trumpet_guy mentioned, get a decant first and live with it (unless you come across a bargain that's too good to miss). Although I've spent a lot of money on fragrances, over the past couple of months, most of them I already had as decants - it just reached a point where I knew they were bottle worthy. However, there are still some stuff that I still have as decants, which I can't see myself buying (Daim Blond being one of them, no matter how much I love it).

  5. #35

    Default Re: Waste of money

    Oh, I forgot to mention that a couple of months ago I had nearly 15 decants. Now, I'm down to 4 - I realized the 'limitations' of most of the ones I no longer have (Tam Dao: crap longevity, Douce Amere: poor sillage, etc.). However, I'm planning to add a couple more decants to my wardrobe soon.

    Unless something really grabs you in every way (L'Air was the last one that really did this), it's best to control your impulses and remain sensible. It may not be easy but you'll be grateful weeks later...

  6. #36
    smeller
    Guest

    Default Re: Waste of money

    So, oolong and Trebor, seems that I'm not the only one here who has less than 20 bottles... in fact, I own 17 large (from 30 ml to 100 ml) bottles, and about 13 miniatures/samples.

    Most of the stuff was bought during the last 3 months, and stopped buying about 3 weeks ago.

    Now, instead of trying new things, I'm slowly selecting/analysing what I already have, in order to make a rational use of it. Glad to know I'm not alone.

  7. #37

    Default Re: Waste of money

    I also feel that decants have a place in my wardrobe, not simply as a way of testing fragrances but just as importantly was a way to add variety. There are a lot of fragrances that I really like but just don't use enough to justify a bottle. A 10ml decant will give me about 20 uses so for many fragrances, that is enough for a few years at the rate that I use them.

  8. #38

    Default Re: Waste of money

    That's exactly what I'm doing now! However, having space for two more bottles (before I reach my level) is pretty cool.

  9. #39

    Default Re: Waste of money

    Quote Originally Posted by oolong
    I also feel that decants have a place in my wardrobe, not simply as a way of testing fragrances but just as importantly was a way to add variety. There are a lot of fragrances that I really like but just don't use enough to justify a bottle. A 10ml decant will give me about 20 uses so for many fragrances, that is enough for a few years at the rate that I use them.
    Another very valid point! I'm the same with some of my SLs - I can't really justify getting a full-sized bottle of the decants that I have (well, apart from Santal de Mysore - a 50ml bottle seems a long way off).

  10. #40

    Default Re: Waste of money

    Quote Originally Posted by smeller
    Now, instead of trying new things, I'm slowly selecting/analysing what I already have, in order to make a rational use of it. Glad to know I'm not alone.
    I'm still trying out new things but, being as critical as I am about any consumer good, am finding it very difficult (thank God) to discover something that totally floors me.

  11. #41
    smeller
    Guest

    Default Re: Waste of money

    I could say the same. Luckily, I appreciate the idea of sticking with the classics, so I don't feel the need to seek others (even knowing there's plenty of amazing stuff). Just got some of the most praised from each scent family, and it's a long way to explore them.

  12. #42

    Default Re: Waste of money

    Quote Originally Posted by smeller
    I could say the same. Luckily, I appreciate the idea of sticking with the classics, so I don't feel the need to seek others (even knowing there's plenty of amazing stuff). Just got some of the most praised from each scent family, and it's a long way to explore them.
    Yeap! Sticking with classics is smart!

  13. #43

    Default Re: Waste of money

    Gucci Rush & Dior Higher: what I did learn from buying Dior Higher; the bottle survives a serious housefire!!
    Last edited by JYvdK; 21st January 2007 at 09:16 PM.

  14. #44

    Default Re: Waste of money

    I forgot to mention Dior's Higher. Gave it away after 2 days.

Similar Threads

  1. Annick Goutal candle, waste of money!
    By kumquat in forum Home Fragrance
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12th April 2007, 05:22 AM
  2. A waste of money
    By KiatBkk in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 5th May 2006, 07:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000