Code of Conduct

Thread: Subtle scents

Default Subtle scents

I recently posted a thread concerning my dislike of "subtle" or "weak" scents, and concentrated my diatribe on Chanel in particular.

I'd like to backtrack now, and say that I have a growing appreciation of the not-quite-so overtly masculine scents out there.

I'm a big fan of Kouros and BdP (among others), scents that scream out as tremendously, overwhelmingly masculine scents. However, I have recently had the fortune to try a few others that are not so "powerhouse" for me.

I purchased a decant (thanks Buffalo_Gals) of M7 recently, and that seems to work well on me in the summer heat, despite my preference for less "sweet" fragrances.

I had a spritz of Dior Homme on the wrist from my favourite SA the other day. She claimed (on her boyfriend's behalf) that it is very sexy. I kind of liked it, in that it grew on me throughout the day.

I also have a sample of Chanel Allure pour Homme, which is also a very "under-the-radar" scent for me.

I guess I'm just coming to terms with the fact that my wardrobe (I think you can access it up there) can only benefit from the inclusion of some more subtle, softer scents.

I look forward to slowly building a well rounded wardrobe with a little bit of everything - some classics, some new, some sharp, some soft, some with killer sillage and some just plain subtle, gentle ones. And I can only thank all you guys and girls around here for opening my eyes. Like many who stumbled onto this board, I will never be the same. (In a good way, of course.)

QE

Default Re: Subtle scents

I would say give Bvlgari PH and ck be a try. These are two of my overall favorites, both very subtle with good silage. RL Romance or Silver might also work for you.

L'Artisan fragrances = Subtle scents
    -

Tam Dao is the ultimate subtle scent, very zen.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Emporio Armani is the most subtle scent I've come across, followed closely by Emporio Armani White.
    Renato

Like you I tend toward the more masculine, in your face scents but I do have a few subtle scent in my collection which I've grown to love. I would suggest:

- Yang by Jacques Fath
    - Relax by Davidoff
    - Vera Wang for Men

I would check out Yang in particular as it is not too sweet, being a tea dominated scent, but it is also subtle and very pleasing, both to me and my lady friends.

Relax is a rich, complex, very long lasting fragrances who's character really fits its name. One of the few sweet fragrances that I really love. One of the guy's I've swapped with referred to it as a cuddling fragrance.

Vera Wang is one of my favorite fragrances for meeting new women. It initially has a wonderful, unique and noticeable tang to it which lasts about 2 hours. This is followed by a really nice Sandalwood/Tobacco dry down. Many people complain that Vera Wang has no lasting power, but I get a good 6 to 8 hours, which is enough for a night out. My personal feeling is the dry down is so different (and subtle) from the initial tang that they just don't notice it.

Romero Gigli would be a good one too (the one with the poem 'scribbled' on the bottle) - very subtle and peppery, IMHO. At first I liked it then realized how boring it was - you've been warned!

I love Yang, which has been mentioned, but on my skin it's not particularly subtle, and it's rather honey-sweet.

After wavering, I'm beginning to think I like Contradiction for Men. I've always liked its cool, spicy opening, but I used to think it had no longevity. However, the last couple of times I've applied it in the morning, it's still been there in a nice subtle way at the end of the day.

Is a subtle scent just one that stays "close to the body," or is there more to it than that?
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE