Code of Conduct

Default 99 bottles of beer

I brought my wardrobe up to date, counted things up, and realized I'm insane.

I have 99 bottles.

That does not count a few minis, any decants, or one bottle of Phantom of the Opera which I bought for the nostalgia of my 40th birthday. Oh and three bottles called Rosy, Red, and Blue Petal that are cute. It doesn't count any of my multiple bottles (kai, Rose Essentielle, Elisabethan Rose, Chinatown) Or the Paris EdP. Oh, Lord, or the three little Attar Bizarre oils! God, it just doesn't stop! The more I think, the more I think OF!

I still want Jalaine's Patchouli, too, (just the refill, not the whole crystal orgasm.) Ooooh, and her Cucumber is sooooo nice......it only comes in crystal, though......

I have some kinda sense that if I go over 100 bottles I will have crossed over some kinda line. The last line. The line that stands between me and utter madness.

I thought about posting this is the Ernie Gallo Fragrance Abuse forum. But...
    What I really want to know is what you people, yes, basenotes people, think about 100 bottles plus half dozen mini's and two dozen decants. How do you rationalize a collection of this size? (There's no way, is there.) Do you have limits for your collection? What are they?

Default Re: 99 bottles of beer

LOL! I remember that feeling....... when I go over 500 I'm calling the police or .........

Talking Re: 99 bottles of beer

I personally believe that a person should stick to 99 full bottles and don't bother counting decants, oils, scented shampoos and conditioners, creams, lotions, bath oils, powders, samples, etc. unless they are a moderator. LOL A moderator can own 599 bottles, but no more.

If I was extremely extraordinarily rich I would most likely buy 90% of all frags available on the market, in all strenghts, and with all matching body products, but I´m sure it wouldn´t make me a bit happier, on the contrary.
    Thank God I´m not even close to rich (only nutty ).
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Eeek! If I counted decants, shower gels, lotions and the likes........ doesn't bare thinking about!

CoL, where do you keep, and how, exactly, do you store your collection? A detailed description would be a delight!

I've got....13 full size bottles..not sure how many minis or decants,though.But my b.f already finds me mad!!!!:O

Hmm...after a closer look i see it's 16...guess I'm really hooked!:P

if you can afford it, and you have the space, then why not? how else would you be able to try everything? not everyone makes decants or samples....

or is that just enabling?

the only thing i DO wonder about it is how long they would last. but i guess if you're also making little samples and things...? you could start a business doing samples? kaching!
    Seeking: woods patchouli fresh tuberose

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

I predict the number will level off wherever it's natural for you, my crazy kitty, and your interest will continue its journey in new ways after the shopping frenzy slows.

Your boys are still fed and nurtured. If anything, they'll always remember this time in their lives as a special, scent-filled era, and they'll gain some perspective they'd never have achieved if their kind mother hadn't indulged in one fantastic hobby.

You know full well how to rid yourself of unwanted items by decanting, selling and donating. But that you have, in fact, amassed 99+ frags means they are true treasures worth celebrating. If these bottles and the creations they contain put a smile on your face, then what a wonderful investment in happiness. Further, how magnificant that you can enjoy such a breadth of fragrances when some of us are so hard to please that hundreds of samples get banished from our midst because they readily offend.

I do think you need to build a scent cellar though, along the lines of a root cellar, wine cellar, or bomb shelter (Flowerbomb shelter?). Do outfit it with leather chairs, and I will visit, and we'll sit back like Shatner and Spader at the end of an episode of "The Practice," but sniffing mouillettes rather than sucking on cigars.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry
    I do think you need to build a scent cellar though, along the lines of a root cellar, wine cellar, or bomb shelter (Flowerbomb shelter?). Do outfit it with leather chairs, and I will visit, and we'll sit back like Shatner and Spader at the end of an episode of "The Practice," but sniffing mouillettes rather than sucking on cigars.
    Let me know when this cellar is built...I'll definitely be there for the 'official opening' ... lolol

WOW! 99 bottles (not including all the minis, doubles etc)...that's amazing!! don't know if there's any more to say, except wow!!

My wardrobe does not include perfumes that are sent my way as gifts/cast-offs. I only list what I spend my own(make that mr.tinker's) money on!

When I had 6 bottles, everyone thought I was crazy. Now that I have well over 60 bottles, there is no shock- just quiet resignation that I do have a problem, and that they are going to hear about some new purchase of mine, and smell it, and tell me what they think.

It's sort of like writing a book. You write the first book and everyone applauds the effort. But once you start writing a series, no one is really impressed after every release.

I did manage to get a priceless expression from a SA after she asked me, "You must have like, 20 bottles or something, right?!"

Hee hee

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

bleu autumn haze

99 is an odd number ... so you need to buy just one more to make it an even 100! (either that or send that new bottle of Blue Amber to me! )
    I've trademarked the color bleu

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Heheh...thanks

I am feeling MUCH better, now that I see I am only slightly 'ill', with my paultry 31 bottles...
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

When I got close to fifty, I realized that many of the bottles were impulse buys, which I very rarely wore. So I went through a phase of paring down my collection, and resolving not to buy a full bottle of ANYTHING unless I really, really, really loved it. But decants don't count!

However, I have to admit that I envy you right now... I'm imagining the fun of going out there and buying something immensely beautiful and obscenely impressive, to commemorate the occasion of The Hundredth Bottle.

Favorite Notes:
    Rose, Apricot, Violet, Leather, Iris, Blackberry, Saffron, Musk, Incense

Congratulations, Shycat! You can do it, we all can do it. I am in entire agreement with Quarry -- boys are taken care of, and you are one good smelling mom. If you need something from what I have got, you know what to do -- just holler, and you will have got a full 100!

Thank you all....I think. I was so set it was a bad thing, and Quarry's gentle answer brought a tear to my eye. And then, djuna gave her answer, and, well, I'll be damned. It sounds like such a good idea........I have to say, though, I'm uncomfortable. I'm too afraid to say I will hold at 99.....it's like swearing I will never weigh over 150 pounds. It sounds easy when you're 140 pounds, but gets tense at 149. OKAY! 149.5!

All I really need to do is move a couple of bottles along down the road---I could even keep a 5ml decant, since decants don't counts.

Just like food, eaten at the stroke of midnight!!!

I do not have near as many botlles and I am insanely jealous! I was just thinking though...can you insure a perfume collection? When you start to get to that many bottles you have amassed quite a valuable collection. I wouldn't feel guilty until you are hoarding up Kai instead of having electricity or food to eat. We all have our little indulgances....I try not to think about how much I spend at Starbucks in a week....I think you could feed a third world country!

Before I start counting, should I include the nearly empties that I am afraid to finish because I may never smell them again???

Oh, Shycat, naughty babe!
    You really seem to need another of that... lol... italian crystal cut bottles to go straight to 100!

Lightbulb Re: 99 bottles of beer

Perfumes are art. We are art collectors. If we collected paintings or photographs, we would regard ourselves as connoisseurs, and many others would regard us as perhaps more culturally sophisticated than we really are. But we tend to regard collecting perfume as a problem - why? Is it because perfume is regarded as frivolous to most? Buy a body spray to cover the stink and don't think about it? Feh.

If your family is cared for, and the collecting isn't causing any difficulties for your family, enjoy it. Life is to be enjoyed, and perfume, like any other art form, can enhance that joy.

Says one who spends her life trying to throw off puritanical guilt at enjoying the pleasurable things in life...
    Last edited by unstableisotope; 23rd January 2007 at 11:28 AM.
    “Everything is a miracle. It is a miracle that one does not dissolve in one's bath like a lump of sugar.”
    -Pablo Picasso

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by unstableisotope
    Says one who spends her life trying to throw off puritanical guilt at enjoying the pleasurable things in life...
    Poking at guilt, like a cat with a lifeless mouse. We are sick that way.

Yes, to the art form (used to have a vanity plate on my car: "ART 4M"--no one ever seemed to get it, and I was willing to accept either art form or art forum, but I digress). Collectors of art we are--modern, vintage, and reproductions of the classics.

"Hey, I'm not shopping, I'm experiencing a cultural exhibition."
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent
    Oh, Shycat, naughty babe!
    You really seem to need another of that... lol... italian crystal cut bottles to go straight to 100!
    Yes! Yes! Yes! Italians do seem to give the best....bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by vezerne
    Before I start counting, should I include the nearly empties that I am afraid to finish because I may never smell them again???
    Hehehe, I would say they DO NOT count....but I'm also someone who wants to stockpile Poeme in case I go into a coma for 20 years and wake to Poeme-less world. It could happen!! Really, it could! Couldn't it?

Too bad it's such a big world or we could visit eachother's collections.
    Kumquat coined a phrase the other day. She said, "We should do a Discovery Tour of eacother's collections."
    I'm in line for the Discovery Tour of Shycat's 99 and CoL's 500 at the perfume cellars.
    Could you see those bottles lined up on the walls? Wow.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7
    Too bad it's such a big world or we could visit eachother's collections. Kumquat coined a phrase the other day. She said, "We should do a Discovery Tour of each other's collections."
    I'm in line for the Discovery Tour of Shycat's 99 and CoL's 500 at the perfume cellars. Could you see those bottles lined up on the walls? Wow.
    Yes, I share your frustration. I'd love to smell and see so many of you and your collections, and drink wine with you, and babysit Tinker's toddler for her. I do hope there is a great boutique in the sky where we all will meet one day.

Hey, we are collectors, and what do good collectors do?? They collect! As my mother once said, "Well, at least it's not antique farm equipment."

Quote Originally Posted by Elf
    Hey, we are collectors, and what do good collectors do?? They collect! As my mother once said, "Well, at least it's not antique farm equipment."
    LOL!!! I know a guy who collects that stuff!!! I sold my house in Culleoka and there was the original old tobacco barn on the property with...junk...in it. I let some man (who knew of the barn, not me) have an old something or other....but the grandson of the original owner came out to ask for it, too, and so it was graciously given to the bloodline.

It would be a big ol' fat WOW to see all my bottles lined up on a wall. Right now they are scattered everywhere--which is why it's so easy to lose track!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Elf
    antique farm equipment
    Oh, you mean like a hand-crank Allis Chalmers tractor in its original orange paint, a grist mill, a treshing rig, belt-driven saws, belt-driven fans for measuring horsepower, freestanding put-put engines, gas-powered water pumps, and the biggest dinosaurs of all: farm steamengines? I couldn't possibly know anything about such things.

Shycat, this thread has been very helpful and has really made me think. If you are some one who collects or likes a lot of perfumes, please do not get offended by this. Everyone is different and I have found that all those bottles were getting to me. I got rid of a lot of unopened ones at Christmas. I have been fortunate in having someone to give many to and have dwindled down my wardrobe. I may dwindle it down even further. I want to eventually get down to about a couple dozen large bottles. So, I do want to start on more niche houses, but I am wanting to use what I have first. I might get a few more, ones that I have wanted, but I am going to keep it down to no more than fifty. Please don't think I am saying anyone else should do this. If you want 5000, that is wonderful and interesting, but for me, I want to cut down.

I don't have any unopened bottles. Never had.