Code of Conduct

Default Some 2006 Fragrances

I have noticed alot of fragrances that were launched near the end of 2006, are already doing horrible.

Betsey Johnson - they already sell it at Marshalls (for you who don't know the store its a discount retail store)

Hilary Duff's with love - you can buy it for 20 dollars cheaper at clairs. what i don't get is why vendors would send department stores gift sets for $55 and small chains gift sets with little diffrence for $30. it just came out so no way can the fragrance me a pull from other department stores. *shrugs*

Tracey Ellen's Tracy/Liz Clairborns Vintage Soul and Curve Chill - We were overstocked in it, and after Christmas Dillards had so much they actually had to put them half off to sell them, and Department stores NEVER have sells on their fragrances
    Current Top Five: Burberry Londen, Love Spell, Miss Dior Cherie, J.Lo Live, Provocative Interlude
    Myspace

Default Re: Some 2006 Fragrances

There's just so many of them now. Like books, It seems so many people are making them now and probably not enough people wanting them.

The mass-market fragrance industry is ridiculously over-saturated. There's too much to choose from, and too much of the same types of fragrances. The artistry that went into Patous, Chanels, Guerlains, Carons, etc. in many cases has been replaced by a sort of "assembly line" of creators. Only a few fragrances releases from the past few years have really stood the test of time, so far.

I'll name a few "successful" new releases, please add any you can think of. By "successful" I'm thinking they'll do well on the market for a long time; possibly becoming "classics". Tink's topic really interests me, because I swear I've noticed that the more new fragrances there are, the faster they become "discount" scents, and then disappear...

I think these mass-market fragrances have been "successful" (but I don't know for sure):

Angel (obviously)
    Narciso Rodriguez For Her
    Prada
    Chinatown
    Marc Jacobs
    RL Romance
    D&G Light Blue
    Stella McCartney
    Vera Wang
    Sublime
    L'eau d'Issey
    Chanel Allure
    Chanel Chance
    Eau des Merveilles
    Cuir Amethyste
    Kenzo Flower
    Lolita Lempicka
    West Side
    Clinique Happy

Quote Originally Posted by Tovah

I think these mass-market fragrances have been "successful" (but I don't know for sure):

Chinatown
    Sublime
    Cuir Amethyste
    West Side
    Im not sure these are mass-market fragrances - I thought Sublime has been discontinued

A great topic Tink and wise words from Tovah, as usual.

I do so agree that the market is becoming saturated with 1001 fragrances,

because every other fashion designer, jeweller, pop singer and film star feels

the need to further enhance their income and status with an eponymous

scent. The low point in my book was when reality t.v. star Jane Goody

brought one out!!

Maybe I'm getting old and nostalgic, but wasn't it better when there were

just a few, authentic perfume makers, well-versed in their art, producing

masterpieces like the Carons, Guerlains, Fragonard, Molinard etc.?

Yes, I know I,m being elitist here, but it's like any art form (music, painting )

the best of the new survive (Dylan, Beatles, Bernstein, Warhol,Dali, Picasso)

and the other pretenders fade away.......

Quote Originally Posted by kewart
    Maybe I'm getting old and nostalgic, but wasn't it better when there were just a few, authentic perfume makers, well-versed in their art, producing masterpieces like the Carons, Guerlains, Fragonard, Molinard etc.? Yes, I know I,m being elitist here, but it's like any art form (music, painting ) the best of the new survive (Dylan, Beatles, Bernstein, Warhol,Dali, Picasso) and the other pretenders fade away.......
    If you look at flea market vintage perfume bottle collections, you'll see lots of unknown country store brands worn by women who would never see Paris or New York. I suspect that looking back at what survives from the past and tends to produce the illusion of higher quality, because no one bothers to save the unmemorable crap. But who knows how many unknown gems were lost along with the mediocre stuff?

It's easier to pick out the good stuff from the past, as time has done the editing for you. The present is an open book, and we're here help write it, deciding with our purchase and sharing choices which working perfumers succeed, which scents survives into the future. If you ask me, that's the adventure (and the fun) in supporting any art.

Basenotes Plus

I think it's good to have a wide variety. Although i do agree that the whole celebrity fragrance genre is a bit out of control. Some celebrity fragrances (SJP Lovely and JLo Live) are quite well made, whereas the majority are just boshed together linear fragrances. But i do think it's good that fashion designers bring out perfumes, the fragrances they make seem to run along side their couture lines. For example, Kingdom is in essence very similar to Alexander McQueens romantic and sophisticated fashion. I think what i'm trying to say (very badly) is yay for well made, well thought out scents by perfume houses and fashion houses but nay to the ones that are there solely for making money and are completely lacking in passion.

It 's all about short term profits, it 's more profitable and much easier to release hundreds of "new" fragrances ever year that will encounter a very short success than trying to release perfumes expected to become classics!
    The strategy is come up with "new" fragrances that are nothing new really, create the illusion of new when it always goes down to fruity florals anyways that "smell good" with more importantly strictly NO character, therefore consumers get bored with them so fast that they feel like buying something else, something "new"!

Angel (obviously)

lets stick with 2006 ^^;;

Quote Originally Posted by kewart
    A great topic Tink and wise words from Tovah, as usual.

I do so agree that the market is becoming saturated with 1001 fragrances,

because every other fashion designer, jeweller, pop singer and film star
    Even though it gets quite annoying that everyone is coming out with a fragrance, I think the parfume world needs it. Being a young adult and a Sales Associate, I know that classics like Chanel are just not cutting it for the young crowd. Just within the last 5 or so years did they come up with fragrances that didn't make the mass of young people want to hurl, i don't mean any offense to people who adore number 5 or coco, but to majority of young people, it is not a pleasing fragrance.

I think all these random fragrances poping up urges serious companys to make fragrances to appeal to the younger crowd.
    example:
    Light Blue
    Very Irristable
    Oscar Bamboo

AND a sells rep from chanel visited me to talk about the products and sells plans for 2007 and shesays they are coming out with a cleaner fresher and lighter scent in the spring to appeal to young adults.

Quote Originally Posted by libertine
    I think it's good to have a wide variety. Although i do agree that the whole celebrity fragrance genre is a bit out of control. Some celebrity fragrances (SJP Lovely and JLo Live) are quite well made, whereas the majority are just boshed together linear fragrances.
    That my dear, is all opinon based. It shouldn'tmatter the motives behind the making the fragrance, it's the smell. I do a test with most of my customers, i spray Paris Hiloton's fragrance and hav3 them smell it, but don't let them know what it is. You would be surprised that 90% love the perfume, but the moment you tell them the name their whole perspective on it changes. but through alot of convincing and having them realize that its not the name but the smell I have made it one of my top sellers
    Last edited by Tink; 20th January 2007 at 01:57 AM.
    Current Top Five: Burberry Londen, Love Spell, Miss Dior Cherie, J.Lo Live, Provocative Interlude
    Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by Bois et Musc
    I thought Sublime has been discontinued
    No way! omg...omg...

Besides that revelation, which has given me hives, I agree that the Bonds and Cuir are not mass-market. I got off on a "new scent" tangent...sorry

Smile Re: Some 2006 Fragrances

Sorry about that, Tink, it didn't sink in with me that you meant just 2006 and I think I led the post off-track.

So, 2006 enduring scents...ummm...

Black Orchid will probably last beyond current trends. Baghari...maybe?

Besides the Paris one, what else seems to be selling well?

Quote Originally Posted by Tink

That my dear, is all opinon based. It shouldn'tmatter the motives behind the making the fragrance, it's the smell. I do a test with most of my customers, i spray Paris Hiloton's fragrance and hav3 them smell it, but don't let them know what it is. You would be surprised that 90% love the perfume, but the moment you tell them the name their whole perspective on it changes. but through alot of convincing and having them realize that its not the name but the smell I have made it one of my top sellers

The motives do matter! we re talking marketing motives here, this is a billion dollar industry, it 's marketing executives at round table meetings who decide on the best strategies to turn up the most profits. the result? 90% of fragrances are "smell good" fruity florals designed to appeal to the largest consumer groups possible. It 's scents that have to smell and instantly appeal to everyone on paper strip, we re not talking about classic scents or niche scents like the Malles or Lutens that need reveal themselves on the skin after 45 min! Expected performances of mass marketed perfumes are not about quality, creativity or artistic interest, it 's just profit and short term over-consumption.
    Consumers are manipulated to buy more; they re sold "new" and "must-have" false ideals. The buzz of multi-million dollar ad campaigns and the illusion of "smell good" fragrances that actually have so little character and substance leave consumers frustrated and bored to death so consequently people keep buying always more and more "new" stuff!
    Mediocrity is good for business!
    Victoire Gobin Daude told me last year she couldn 't survive as an independant perfumer (she called her line 'parfumerie artisanale'), her line is made of rare and very expensive high end ingredients, corporations like LVMH just want to deal with perfume lines that cost less than 5 euros a bottle at the most to produce and market (think +80% of mass marketed fragrances production cost is marketing (ads, commercials etc) and NOT ingredients!) to sell it at least ten times more in retail! They have no time and interest in developping independant perfumers with too little margins of profits.
    When you pay at Sephora $68 for Vera Wang Princess 3.4Oz bottle in EDT (not even EDP!!), probably less than $3 went into for the ingredients costs.
    Last edited by Bois et Musc; 20th January 2007 at 09:14 AM. Reason: typo

Personally I'm delighted that the manufacturers are cranking out new scents and that people are buying! Young people have to start somewhere and develop an interest in scents. If the only things available were costly niche scents, they'd put their dollars elsewhere. With mass availability perhaps some aficionados will develop over time...

It might be nice to think young people will focus rapidly on quality, but it's largely not the case...and it has been this way for a very long time! Young fragrances came and went 35 years ago too. Not as many, but they were there "skinny dip" "young and free" "babe" with its Margaux Hemingway campaign, immediately come to mind. Love's soft lemon and that "baby soft" line sold like mad. With the possible exception of Babe, the old trendy scents were pretty poor. We bought the marketing.

I find all these new releases a great pitty! I guess many of them will just dissapeare after a short time. I am a bit scared to give my hart away to a frag if I probably not am able to get a secound bottle of it, in a year or two. And this is what I feel for many new releases. So I donīt get so many... If more people than me feels the same way, it makes the new releases dissapeare even faster...
    Last edited by Margareta; 20th January 2007 at 08:02 AM.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, LīHeure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

It shouldn'tmatter the motives behind the making the fragrance, it's the smell. I do a test with most of my customers, i spray Paris Hiloton's fragrance and hav3 them smell it, but don't let them know what it is. You would be surprised that 90% love the perfume, but the moment you tell them the name their whole perspective on it changes. but through alot of convincing and having them realize that its not the name but the smell I have made it one of my top sellers
    I find it nice to have a perfume-sellers oppinion here om the board! You do see what really appeal to people! I talk a lot to the sellers when I am buying, so I have understod you sellers have another point of view than me, who am only using the fumes. - It is a fun examlpe you are writing, and I believe you are totaly right! Paris Hiltons fragances are very nice! - But I canīt even imagin myself wearing them, just because of their name! So I am prejudicted!!!
    Last edited by Margareta; 20th January 2007 at 09:00 AM.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, LīHeure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

I have begun to suspect that there are computer programs based on a large number of marketing "focus groups", ie: preferences of large numbers of people who tested various scents, that essentially churn out "recipes" for new perfumes, so that the perfumer is many cases is becoming marginalized. This would explain in part the fruity/floral/vanilla thing that happens over and over and over. Also, perfumes are probably considered more like light bulbs now. About 50 years ago, indandescent light bulbs were made to last quite a few years. Then companies found that they could make more money if everyone made cheaper (ie: crappy) lightbulbs that only lasted a couple months. The old factories which made the good bulbs were redone to make garbage (this occurred in Hungary and other places). Only garbage was made and sold. This trend followed to electronics, which are meant to basically self-destruct after a year or two, so that consumers will buy MORE. Perfumes are pretty much the same now in the mass market. Basically clones, just a color/bottle/slight tweakage of the same basic scent, cheapest ingredients possible (as Luca Turin points out in his excellent book). People get bored long before the bottle's used up, they buy MORE, and the company makes more money. Pretty simple, really. The answer is to support your local artisanal perfumery!

Here is The Fragrance Foundations list of 2006 U.S Women's Fragrance Introductions (sorry, I know it's looooonnng list!). You will probably see more than a few that you tried and forgot in 2006!

ACQUA DI PARMA IRIS NOBILE EAU DE PARFUM - LVMH Perfumes & Cosmetics Group
    AFFECTION - Mary Kay Cosmetics
    AGENT PROVOCATEUR EAU EMOTIONELLE - Selective Beauty
    ALFRED SUNG BIJOU - Elizabeth Arden (Riviera Concepts)
    ANGEL GARDEN OF STARS Rose Angel - Thierry Mugler Parfums
    ANNA SUI DOLLY GIRL ON THE BEACH - P&G Prestige Products, Inc.
    ANTHOUSA Citrus Sorbet, Fig Vetiver, White Tuberose - Anthousa
    APPARITION SUN BY EMANUEL UNGARO - Gary Farn, Ltd.
    ARMANI CODE FOR WOMEN - Giorgio Armani Parfums
    AROMATICS ELIXIR VELVET SHEER - Clinique
    BABY DOLL LUCKY GAME - YSL Beaute
    BABY PHAT GOLDEN GODDESS - Coty Prestige
    BADGLEY MISCHKA - Elizabeth Arden (Riviera Concepts)
    BAGHARI DE ROBERT PIGUET - Fashion Fragrances & Cosmetics Ltd.
    BETSEY JOHNSON PARFUM - Karis Group Ltd.
    BEYOND PARADISE BLUE - Estee Lauder
    BIJAN BLACK FOR WOMEN - Five Star Fragrance Co.
    BLACK ORCHID - Tom Ford Beauty/Estee Lauder
    BLUE RUSH - Avon
    BOHISTA - mark.
    BOUCHERON LES EDITION BLEUES - YSL Beaute
    BOUCHERON TROUBLE EAU LEGERE - YSL Beaute
    BURBERRY LONDON - P&G Prestige/Interparfums
    CANDIE'S HEARTBREAKER - Coty Beauty U.S.
    CARNAL FLOWER - Frederic Malle
    CASSIS ROSE - The Body Shop
    CHOCOLOVERS - Aquolina
    CHYPRE ROUGE - Serge Lutens
    CITRON - Slatkin & Co.
    CITRUS VERBENA - L'Occitane
    CK ONE ELECTRIC (unisex) - Coty Prestige
    CK ONE SUMMER CALVIN KLEIN (unisex)- Coty Prestige
    CLEOPATRA - Tocca Beauty
    COCO CREMA - Stacked Style
    COCO EXTREME - Comptoir Sud Pacifique
    COEUR D'ETE - Miller Harris
    COOL WATER GAME FOR WOMEN - Coty Prestige
    COTTON - The Body Shop
    COZY CASHMERE - The Body Shop
    CREED ORIGINAL SANTAL (unisex) - International Cosmetics & Perfumes
    CRYSTAL AURA - Avon Products, Inc.
    CURVE CHILL FOR HER - Liz Claiborne Cosmetics
    DANIELLE BY DANIELLE STEEL - Elizabeth Arden
    DELICES DE CARTIER - Cartier
    DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES FORBIDDEN FRUIT - Coty Prestige
    DIANOCHE DAISY FUENTES - BeautyBank/Estee Lauder Cos.
    DISCOVER COLLECTION ALABASTER, JADE, ROSEWOOD - Banana Republic
    DKNY RED DELICIOUS WOMEN - Donna Karan Cosmetics
    DOLCE DEW - Stacked Style
    DONNA KARAN GOLD - Donna Karan Cosmetics
    DREAM ANGELS DESIRE - Victoria's Secret Beauty
    DZONGKHA (unisex) - L'Artisan Parfumeur
    EAU DE REGLISSE (unisex) - Caron
    EAU GOURMANDE - Laura Mercier
    ELEMENT OF DESIRE - Creative Universe Beth Terry
    ELIXIR DES MERVEILLES - Hermes Parfums
    ETERNITY SUMMER CALVIN KLEIN - Coty Prestige
    EXOTIC COCONUT - Bath and Body Works
    F BY FERRAGAMO - Gary Farn, Ltd.
    FIGUE - Calypso Christian Celle
    FIORE FLIRT - Stacked Style
    FIRE ISLAND (unisex) - Bond No. 9 New York
    FIRST VAN CLEEF AND ARPELS EAU DE TOILETTE POUR L'ETE - YSL Beaute
    FLORENCE - Tocca Beauty
    GARDENIA - Calypso Christiane Celle
    GAULTIER2 (unisex) - Beaute Prestige International
    GIVENCHY AMARIGE MARIAGE - LVMH Perfumes & Cosmetics Group
    GIVENCHY ANGE OU DEMON - LVMH Perfumes & Cosmetics Group
    GRASSROOTS HAPPILY EVER AFTER - BeautyBank/Estee Lauder Cos.
    GUCCI ENVY ME 2 - P&G Prestige Products, Inc.
    GUERLAIN AQUA ALLEGORIA GROSELLINA - LVMH Perfumes & Cosmetics Group
    GUERLAIN AQUA ALLEGORIA TUTTI KIWI - LVMH Perfumes & Cosmetics Group
    GUERLAIN COLOURS OF LOVE - LVMH Perfumes & Cosmetics Group
    GUERLAIN INSOLENCE - LVMH Perfumes & Cosmetics Group
    GUERRILLA 1 AND GUERILLA 2 (unisex) - Commes des Garcons
    GUESS GOLD - Parlux Fragrances
    HANAE MORI MAGICAL MOON - International Cosmetics & Perfumes
    HEIRESS PARIS HILTON - Parlux Fragrances
    HERMESSENCE PAPRIKA BRASIL (unisex) - Hermes Parfums
    HERVE LEGER ROSE LEGER - Gary Farn Ltd.
    HYPNOSE - Lancome/L'Oreal
    IN CONTROL CURIOUS BRITNEY SPEARS - Elizabeth Arden, Inc.
    IN LOVE AGAIN JASMIN ETOILE - YSL Beaute
    INNOCENT SECRET - Thierry Mugler Parfums
    ISLAND MICHAEL KORS FIJI - Michael Kors Beauty
    JIL SANDER STYLE - Coty Prestige
    JO MALONE - Nectarine Blossom & Honey
    JUICY COUTURE - Liz Claiborne Cosmetics
    KENZO AMOUR - Parfums Kenzo
    KISS HER - Gemini Cosmetics
    LACOSTE INSPIRATION - P & G Prestige Products, Inc.
    LANVIN RUMEUR - Interparfums
    L'EAU PAR KENZO LOVE L'EAU - Kenzo Parfums
    LIVE LUXE JENNIFER LOPEZ - Coty Prestige
    LOVELY SARAH JESSICA PARKER LIQUID SATIN - Coty Prestige
    LUCKY NUMBER 6 - Liz Claiborne Cosmetics
    MANDARINA DUCK - Idesa Parfums
    MANDARINE TOUT SIMPLEMENT - L'Artisan Parfumeur
    MARC JACOBS BLUSH INTENSE - Coty Prestige
    MARC JACOBS SPLASH (unisex) Grass, Rain, Cotton - Coty Prestige
    MARC JACOBS SPLASH Autumn Collection (unisex) Violet, Ivy, Amber - Coty Prestige
    MARY KATE AND ASHLEY COAST TO COAST MALIBU STYLE - Coty Beauty
    MARY KATE AND ASHLEY COAST TO COAST SOHO CHIC - Coty Beauty
    MATTHEW WILLIAMSON - Juniper Brand Development
    MIHIME - Keiko Mecheri
    MILLE ET UNE ROSES - Lancome/L'Oreal
    MIMOSA PARFUM - Calypso Christian Celle
    MISS SIXTY - Coty Beauty U.S.
    MISSONI - Aramis & Designer Fragrances
    OPIUM FLEUR IMPERIALE EAU D'ORIENT - YSL Beaute
    ORANGE FLOWER & CITRON - Slatkin
    ORGANZA HARVEST - Parfums Givenchy
    OSCAR BAMBOO - YSL Beaute
    OSCAR ISLAND FLOWERS - YSL Beaute
    OSCAR TROPICAL FLOWERS - YSL Beaute
    PACIFIC PARADISE - P&G Prestige Products, Inc.
    PHILOSOPHY THE FRAGRANCE - Philosophy
    PLAY-DOH - Demeter Fragrance Library/Hasbro
    PRADA TENDRE - Puig Prestige Beauty/Coty
    PURE WHITE LINEN - Estee Lauder
    RALPH LAUREN HOT - Ralph Lauren Fragrances/L'Oreal
    ROBERTO CAVALLI HER PINK - Clarins Fragrance Group
    ROBERTO CAVALLI SERPENTINE - Clarins Fragrance Group
    SALVATORE FERRAGAMO INCANTO CHARMS - Gary Farn, Ltd.
    SEL DE VETIVER (unisex) - The Different Company
    SEQUIN SPARKLE - The Body Shop
    SENSUAL AMBER - Bath and Body Works
    SEXY LITTLE THINGS - Victoria's Secret Beauty
    SHANGHAI BUTTERFLY - Elizabeth Arden (Nanette Lepore/Riviera Concepts)
    SHEER EUPHORIA CALVIN KLEIN - Coty Prestige
    SHEER STELLA - Stella McCartney Parfums/YSL Beaute
    SIRA DES INDES JEAN PATOU - P & G Prestige Products, Inc.
    SOIR DE LUNE - Sisley Cosmetics Worldwide
    SONGES - Annick Goutal Parfums/Gary Farn Ltd.
    STACIE J GOLDEN - Revelations Perfume & Cosmetics
    STELLA IN TWO STELLA McCARTNEY - YSL Beaute
    THE SCENT OF PEACE - Bond No. 9 New York
    THE O.C. FOR HER - AMC Beauty
    TOMMY GIRL 10 - Tommy Hilfiger Toiletries
    TOMMY GIRL SHIMMER AT TWILIGHT - Tommy Hilfiger Toiletries
    TOMMY GIRL SUMMMER - Tommy Hilfiger Toiletries
    TOUCH - Tocca Beauty
    TRACY ELLEN TRACY - Liz Claiborne Cosmetics
    TRESOR EAU DE PRINTEMPS SHEER - Lancome/L'Oreal
    UME - Keiko Mecheri
    VALENTINO V ETE - P&G Prestige Products, Inc.
    VANILLE AMANDE - Comptoir Sud Pacifique
    VANILLE CITRON - Comptoir Sud Pacifique
    VANILLE PINEAPPLE - Comptoir Sud Pacifique
    VERA WANG PRINCESS - Coty Prestige
    VERSACE BRIGHT CRYSTAL - Fragrances Exclusive, Inc.
    VERY COOL FOR WOMEN - Gemini Cosmetics, Inc.
    VERY IRRESISTIBLE GIVENCHY HARVEST - LVMH Perfumes & Cosmetics Group
    VERY IRRESISTIBLE GIVENCHY SUMMER - LVMH Perfumes & Cosmetics Group
    VERY SEXY NOW - Victoria's Secret Beauty
    VINTAGE SOUL BY CURVE - Liz Claiborne Cosmetics
    WEST SIDE (unisex) - Bond No. 9 New York
    WITH LOVE HILARY DUFF - Elizabeth Arden
    WONDERFUL INDULGENCE - Beauty Bank/Estee Lauder Cos.
    YSL PARIS EAU DE PRINTEMPS ROSES DES VERGERS - YSL Beaute

The mediocre fragrances being released, or as Tink points out, the changing tastes of young people, who choose frags that a more mature (read that as age and/or tastes) customer would reject, seems to me analogous to what happens with cars, restaurants, clothing brands, etc.

You could drive a Mitsubishi Eclipse or you could drive a Maserati GranSport
    You could eat at Applebee's, or you could eat at Nobu
    You could wear H&M, or you could wear Dolce Gabbana

Part of it is price point (and less so with perfume!), but the other part is taste, knowledge, and access. If you don't have the money to dress/smell your desired socio-economic niche, find the budget equivalents, buy on sale, go to samples sales, get samples, do what you have to do to find the quality and fine craftsmanship you desire.

The mediocre perfumes will probably always be there. Perhaps the reason there seem to be so many now is that teenagers have a lot of disposable income. They are courted as a market segment with real purchasing power. There is not enough bad taste in the world to completely knock out the good designers, the luxury automobiles, and perfectly presented dinner. So with perfume.
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

No way! omg...omg...

Deep breaths Tovah! People, please remember, we do not, under ANY circumstances use the "D" word around Tovah!

It shouldn'tmatter the motives behind the making the fragrance, it's the smell. I do a test with most of my customers, i spray Paris Hiloton's fragrance and hav3 them smell it, but don't let them know what it is. You would be surprised that 90% love the perfume, but the moment you tell them the name their whole perspective on it changes. but through alot of convincing and having them realize that its not the name but the smell I have made it one of my top sellers
    I do exactly the same thing when I'm working - for example, when we launched "Forbidden Fruit" by Desperate Housewives, I offered customers a spray, just calling it "Forbidden Fruit" and not telling them who it was 'by'...quite a few people (including some older ladies, who tried to put me off offering them a try by saying "Oh, I only wear Chanel No. 5...") liked the scent...when they asked me who made it, then I tell them. But you'd be surprised at the number of people who said "Oh, Desperate Housewives, that's horrible..it just smells like a desperate housewife!" - even though a minute before they said it was nice!! The same goes with the JLo fragrances, and even "Darling" by Kylie Minogue...they like it, until you tell them who it's by! That's not saying every single customer who tried it hated it after finding out the brand...but a few of them weren't convinced.

Sorry about that, Tink, it didn't sink in with me that you meant just 2006 and I think I led the post off-track.

what else seems to be selling well?

^___^
    at my department, the 2006 that are selling well are:

vera wang Princess
    Sarah Jessica Parkers Lovely was shortly before Christmas began
    Paris Hiltons Heirss
    Armani Code for women
    Tommy 10
    Miss Dior Cherie (my biggest seller)
    Escada Into the Blue
    Burberry Londen

I work at a small macy's fyi ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Bois et Musc
    The motives do matter! we re talking marketing motives here,
    so you are telling me if you found a fragrance that made you absolutley orgaze everytime you smell it, but it was produced by some celebertiy looking for quick money you would turn your nose up to it and pick a fragrance that you don't like as much by a serious perfumer?

Quote Originally Posted by Margareta
    I find it nice to have a perfume-sellers oppinion here om the board! You do see what really appeal to people! I talk a lot to the sellers when I am buying, so I have understod you sellers have another point of view than me, who am only using the fumes. - It is a fun examlpe you are writing, and I believe you are totaly right! Paris Hiltons fragances are very nice! - But I canīt even imagin myself wearing them, just because of their name! So I am prejudicted!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by gloomy_liv
    I do exactly the same thing when I'm working - for example, when we launched "Forbidden Fruit" by Desperate Housewives, I offered customers a spray, just calling it "Forbidden Fruit" and not telling them who it was 'by'...quite a few people (including some older ladies, who tried to put me off offering them a try by saying "Oh, I only wear Chanel No. 5...") liked the scent...when they asked me who made it, then I tell them. But you'd be surprised at the number of people who said "Oh, Desperate Housewives, that's horrible..it just smells like a desperate housewife!" - even though a minute before they said it was nice!! The same goes with the JLo fragrances, and even "Darling" by Kylie Minogue...they like it, until you tell them who it's by! That's not saying every single customer who tried it hated it after finding out the brand...but a few of them weren't convinced.

Nice to see another SA ^^

but exactly what i mean, somethese new fragrances could be so succesfull and last more then ten years if it wasn't for the celebirtys they choose to endorse them. out of all the fragrances I have with celebirty endorcments that has never got a noseturned up at is Sarah Jessica Parker.

but if people could look beyound the face on the box and just go by what they like these fragrances could be around for along time.

Like itell my customers, choose what you like, do pick by the name or populariy.
    Last edited by Tink; 21st January 2007 at 04:08 PM.
    Myspace

Sometimes I find Basenoters too much of an elite group. I love perfume but I simply don't have access to niche scents. Ordering online is too expensive and risky since I can't sample for free and the country I reside in now hasn't even heard of Creed or Bond.

You can say you can try harder to find quality on sales, but sometimes it really is not available and you have to make do. Frankly, not all mass marketed perfumes are bad and sometimes I get tired to see people discount everything when it doesn't come with a huge price card. Beggers cant be choosers, be happy you have the choice but also understand a lot of people simply can't afford the expensive scents and still make an effort to smell nice and educate themselves a bit more.

When Lolita Lempicka's L was released it seemed all of basenote was in love with it while it is mass marketed, has it been forgotten so easily now because too many people recognized a good affordable( although it is already stretching my wallet) scent and bought it?

Lian - I hear you, and there have been times when I've felt the same way. I have a strong contrarian streak, and when something is extremely popular or well-praised, my instinct has always been to avoid it. But you really ought to try ordering decants from places such as FragrantFripperies.com or Dragonfly Scent Me on eBay, where you can order small vials of the niche stuff, often for below $20 or $30. If you have a large collection to rotate with, 5ml can last a long time.

Though I'm not in love with niches per se (I really don't get the love for L'Artisan or Bond No. 9 - they have a few very nice fragrances, but none so far that I love) I do believe that certain houses, such as Lutens, Caron, and Malle (my Holy Trinity of the moment) tend to produce scents that are more innovative and viscerally moving than any of the scents on the market. The reason, I think, is that these houses (particularly Malle) respect the artistic integrity of their noses and allow them the freedom and resources that they need to create great scents. That just doesn't seem to be the case with more commercial perfume houses, which are always thinking in terms of the lowest common denominator, simplifying their work so that they can sell to a broad consumer base. That often means ironing out the (potentially offensive) quirks that make perfumes truly interesting. If you look at the Basenotes reviews for the Lutens, there are nearly always a lot of negative reviews mixed in with the raves. When I sniffed Arabie, it was instant love, but I've heard that it smells like barbecued meat, or like a sweaty guy working at an Indian food restaurant. But the best niche scents rise above anything you'll find in the newer commercial releases. When I sniffed Carnal Flower and En Passant for the first time, they nearly made me cry. There is a difference; it is real. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't smelled it myself.
    Last edited by djuna; 21st January 2007 at 10:04 PM.

Favorite Notes:
    Rose, Apricot, Violet, Leather, Iris, Blackberry, Saffron, Musk, Incense

Lian - I feel like you sometimes, too. And here I am anyhow, reading every day I can reach a computor. But, Lian - not everyone at BN are elitistic. And if you read behind the lines, you can get many good advise for perfumes you can get, as all types of fragances are mentioned. I donīt really care if someone is elitistic, and I donīt feel a lower person myself if someone is! Life is not a competition about who owns the "best" or the largest number of perfumes when we dies!!! Life with perfumes is about to feel as good as possible.

I just red an interwiev with the beauty-guru Ole Henriksen. His most importaint advice for feeling good was:
    "KEEP IT SIMPLE. It doas not matter if it conserns beauty-rutines, food, exercise or furnishing, clothes, travels or things, simplicity is always to prefer. Excesses infallibly results in you just wanting more, and you never get really satisfied."

I guess this goes for perfumes, too.

I canīt get the Creed or the Bond either, they are not for sale in my country, but I am very pleased with what I have got anyhow! Perumes are expencive, and I am not rich, so I will never get a very large number of perfumes. But BN has helped me to find some really nice scents, and I am very grateful for that.
    Last edited by Margareta; 22nd January 2007 at 05:47 PM.

Lian - sometimes I feel like I don't belong in Basenotes, because everyone seems to own a few expensive/niche fragrances that I've either never heard of or just can't afford. I can't order online, because I just can't afford it. All of the fragrances I own are either bought from department stores. The only niche fragrances I have are samples which I have gotten straight from the perfume house.

I have found that Basenotes members have both niche & "mass-marketed" fragrances in their collections...eg. someone might own a Malle fragrances, as well as a Calvin Klein!

Even though I can't afford to buy a lot of fragrances, and also though a lot of fragrances aren't available here in Australia, I still read all the threads here in the community, to see what opinions people have on certain fragrances... this is how I learn about fragrances - not just by sniffing testers at the stores, but from people's notes and opinions! Hopefully, one day I can try a few of the fragrances that I've read about (Bond, Caron, etc...) - but until then, I build up my knowledge (and dream!!)

Lian too~ ^_^(lol) - i feel the same way sometimes. but for me, i feel like alot of people on basenotes ( i couold be wrong) tend to praise a fragrance because of the name or its stature in th3e world. such as este lauders youth dew, or chanel number 5. maybe I am just too young but i can't see how any young adult can find these fragrances wonderful you know? but i love hear peoples thoughts on things, you do learn alot. and like gloomy, i hav3e not heard of alot but its great to hear of something then try to findit ^^
    Myspace

Just because others have different taste, doesn't mean your views aren't welcome. I think you are probably right that younger tastes and department store fragrances are underrepresented on Basenotes -- all the more reason why your input is a valuable addition to Basenotes. Keep posting (and posting reviews), and I bet others with similar viewpoints will join in.

Quote Originally Posted by djuna
    I do believe that certain houses, such as Lutens, Caron, and Malle (my Holy Trinity of the moment) tend to produce scents that are more innovative and viscerally moving than any of the scents on the market. The reason, I think, is that these houses (particularly Malle) respect the artistic integrity of their noses and allow them the freedom and resources that they need to create great scents. That just doesn't seem to be the case with more commercial perfume houses, which are always thinking in terms of the lowest common denominator, simplifying their work so that they can sell to a broad consumer base.

When I sniffed Carnal Flower and En Passant for the first time, they nearly made me cry. There is a difference; it is real. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't smelled it myself.
    I agree with such enthusiasm that I am speaking outloud to my computer screen, "Exactly! Yes!"; and my family is looking at me in a puzzled way.

I swear Carnal Flower was an epiphany for me. I've loved fragrances my entire life, but this one made me see them in yet another new way. I did cry the first time I smelled En Passant, and the first time I smelled Bois des Iles Parfum. Of course those are personal reactions, and not necessarily common ones, but I do believe that perfumes made for art's sake are crafted to elicit emotions; not just to smell pretty/sexy/pleasant/clean, etc.

Lian too~ ^_^(lol) - i feel the same way sometimes. but for me, i feel like alot of people on basenotes ( i couold be wrong) tend to praise a fragrance because of the name or its stature in th3e world. such as este lauders youth dew, or chanel number 5. maybe I am just too young but i can't see how any young adult can find these fragrances wonderful you know? but i love hear peoples thoughts on things, you do learn alot. and like gloomy, i hav3e not heard of alot but its great to hear of something then try to findit ^^
    Old Lady here, (I'm 41), and you couldn't pay me to wear Youth Dew or Chanel No. 5. You definitely fit in here. Your contributions are wonderful. Fortunately, I don't see too many Basenoters "praising" fragrances for name or stature, but I probably ignore posts that do this. For the most part, we're a picky bunch of connoisseurs and, if you look at members' wardrobes, we have a huge range of tastes. So you're right where you belong.

I love reading your posts - you're so insightful. Your genuine love for fragrance, and your obviously talented nose are really apparent in your posts. I look forward to your posts and I respect your knowledge (and Lian's and GloomyLiv's). I swear I've been planning to sniff Paris Hilton's stuff and Britney Spears stuff since your first post on this thread. It's not snobbery, but I just haven't really come across them. There's so much to smell that these never came to the top of the list. After your post, I decided they're worth a sniff!

It's so great to know an SA "understands" the fragrances and isn't impressed by marketing trends. I wish you worked around here. I'm so glad you're on Basenotes!
    Last edited by Tovah; 23rd January 2007 at 02:10 AM.

Old Lady here, (I'm 41), and you couldn't pay me to wear Youth Dew or Chanel No. 5. You definitely fit in here. Your contributions are wonderful. Fortunately, I don't see too many Basenoters "praising" fragrances for name or stature, but I probably ignore posts that do this. For the most part, we're a picky bunch of connoisseurs and, if you look at members' wardrobes, we have a huge range of tastes. So you're right where you belong.

I love reading your posts - you're so insightful. Your genuine love for fragrance, and your obviously talented nose are really apparent in your posts. I look forward to your posts and I respect your knowledge (and Lian's and GloomyLiv's). I swear I've been planning to sniff Paris Hilton's stuff and Britney Spears stuff since your first post on this thread. It's not snobbery, but I just haven't really come across them. There's so much to smell that these never came to the top of the list. After your post, I decided they're worth a sniff!

It's so great to know an SA "understands" the fragrances and isn't impressed by marketing trends. I wish you worked around here. I'm so glad you're on Basenotes!
    that made me smile, thank you ^^ i am glad you enjoy it, i love everyones input on things. it has really helped me to understsand customers more. plus i learn alot. tell me what you think of the fragrances m k^^
    Myspace