Code of Conduct

Default Guerlain's L'Heure Bleue - 1st bargain of 2007

Today, I decided to do some local errands and found myself outside a pharmacy, which I knew sell designer fragrance testers. The pharmacy is quite large, with the fragrance cabinets closer to the tills than the door – the testers are stored in the bottom sections, so I knew that sunlight wouldn’t be too big an issue.

Anyway, I was just looking at what they had on offer and noticed some Guerlain testers. I asked one of the assistants to unlock the cabinet, so I could have a closer look. They had two 50ml bottles of Mitsouko EDT (both looked brand new), a 75ml bottle of Mitsouko EDP (the bottle looked a bit tatty, though) and a 30ml cubic bottle of L'Heure Bleue (the spray mechanism had a couple of scratches but, apart from that, was in perfect condition). I tested them on my arm, not thinking that any of them would take my fancy, and left the pharmacy to muse over which one would be more suitable for me (if any).

The Mitsouko EDT came across as too sharp for my liking and the EDP was an improvement but I wasn’t really sure (chypres and my skin chemistry rarely get on very well). However, there was something about L'Heure Bleue that made me want to sniff my arm again and again. It didn’t come across as feminine as I had expected, and the soft and subtle iris and vanilla really captivated me. I could also see what others meant about its sense melancholy but that made me appreciate it even more.

Before leaving, the assistant told me that they were going for roughly £20 ($40). Based on this, I decided to return to the pharmacy and snag that last unboxed tester of L'Heure Bleue (with the hope of possibly haggling for it). Upon my return, the woman got it into her head that I was after the Mitsouko EDT! At first I was puzzled as to why she thought that, until I realized that the L'Heure Bleue was actually the parfum version (typical, eh?)!

While she was entering the code into the till, I was plucking out a £20 note from my wallet. As I looked up, the till screen displayed ‘5.00’. FIVE POUNDS!!! I quickly paid and left, hoping no-one would call me back for paying such a silly price.

My first bargain of the year!
    Last edited by Trebor; 19th January 2007 at 04:51 PM.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Default Re: Guerlain's L'Heure Bleue - 1st bargain of 2007

Nice snag, Bob!
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Congratulations! I love bargains.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

How do you keep finding these chemists? where was this one?
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews