Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Who is the best house for male fragrances?

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chanel

22 14.38%
  • Creed

54 35.29%
  • Christian Dior

9 5.88%
  • Giorgio Armani

2 1.31%
  • Gucci

0 0%
  • Hermès

9 5.88%
  • Guerlain

12 7.84%
  • L'Artisan Parfumeur

8 5.23%
  • Caron

4 2.61%
  • Yves Saint Laurent

33 21.57%

Default The Most Respected House (Male)

Another poll question for you all . Don't know if this has ever been posted before (no search result obtained), but the question is:

Which house(s) do you think deserves the most respect for their consistently exceptional male line of fragrances?

I tried my best to only poll the 10 that are quite popular amongst the Basenotes community. That's right, no Serge Lutens here for their lack of strictly masculine frags.

Thrax

Default Re: The Most Respected House (Male)

Most of the great houses define the majority of thier scents as unisex. I'd say L'artisan gets the most respect from me though.

Edit:YSL as well!

I think you should also add Kenzo. They do have some interesting scents. Not like Hugo Boss.....

If the question was 'most respected house for both sexes', I would choose l'Artisan. But from the male perspective, it must be YSL

It all depends on personal preference - for example, I like Creed (GIT, Baie De Genievre, Bois Du Portugal, Feuille Verte, Acier Aluminium, Vintage Tabarome, Royal Scottish Lavender, Royal English Leather - quite a superstar lineup) and dont care at all for L'Artisan (male or unisex or whatever).

Questions like this are very subjective - the question can easily be rephrased "Whats your favorite house?" because many womens fragrances are also worn by men, and houses like Serge Lutens market all their fragrances as unisex (which is the current trend)... Iris Silver Mist would certainly qualify as a very suitable fragrance for men.

The traditional houses like Caron, Chanel and Guerlain get the most mention and respect in perfume history (for overall perfumery, not just male fragrances).

[*****MODERATOR'S EDIT:
    At the request of the original poster, I've changed the options available on the poll--adding Caron and Guerlain and dropping Hugo Boss and Ralph Lauren. Since Zz's post here is the first to mention those two additions, I post this notice here so all arriving readers will find it early.
    --Chris]
    Last edited by DustB; 21st January 2007 at 02:19 AM.
    -

Dependent

I voted Creed - I was confused without Guerlain
    Creed's longevity is unreal on my skin. 24 hrs is not unusual.
    I have a bit more experience with Guerlain's offerings though.

Guerlain ought to have been included, yes. Caron's a close second choice, if only for Yatagan and PuH. I voted Yves St. Laurent, though, for its vast array of great frags, and considered Creed closely.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

It was a close tie between Hermes and Chanel for me, but Chanel won out simply because of PM, Antaeus, and Egoiste (I'm conveniently forgetting Allure and Allure Homme Sport). I chose these because the original question was which house "consistently" produces great scents. Even though there are some scents from L'artisan and Creed that I think are brilliant and like better than any one item from either Hermes or Chanel, there are also SEVERAL that leave me wondering, "What were they thinking????" Not so with Hermes or Chanel; even those that I don't like very well, I can still respect (Equipage, for example) YSL would be a close third.
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 19th January 2007 at 08:38 PM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

A tough choice for me among the first three and Hermès; the others are on a different level, though good. Boss and RL could have been left off, in my opinion. And I agree Guerlain should have been there, they make some great men's scents. But that would have made the choice evn more difficult...
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy
    Guerlain ought to have been included, yes. Caron's a close second choice, if only for Yatagan and PuH. I voted Yves St. Laurent, though, for its vast array of great frags, and considered Creed closely.
    In my opinion, Guerlain & Caron earns the connoisseur's respect

Guerlain should be there. But Creed is my fav.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

My vote goes to Chanel. Out of those mentioned, it's my favorite house that I feel qualified enough to judge. I enjoy several scents from this house and they are all very well made.

Now that I've heard from you all, it looks that I forgot Guerlain and Caron. The problem is that I cannot edit the poll.

Perhaps a moderator should intervene and help out by replacing the Hugo Boss and Ralph Lauren houses with these.

Quote Originally Posted by magnnum
    In my opinion, Guerlain & Caron earns the connoisseur's respect
    I absolutely agree with this sentiment, and would have a tough time deciding between the two. However, choosing from among those on the list, it is a tossup between Hermes and Chanel for I greatly admire both Equipage and Pour Monsieur nearly equally. I will compare these heads-up tonight and use this comparison to cast my vote tomorrow.

Jeff

I fail to see why Guerlain should be included.

I like Vetiver, and Heritage is decent...but thats about it really. Unless you all are counting the derivative Vetiver and Heritage spin offs...
    -

I opt for Chanel. And if you are keeping track, I too feel Guerlain needed to be in there.

Quote Originally Posted by globetrekker
    I opt for Chanel. And if you are keeping track, I too feel Guerlain needed to be in there.
    Well yea, they are definitely better than Ralph Lauren and Hugo Boss. But then didnt Calvin Klein have a huge impact in the late 80s and early 90s with breakthroughts like Eternity, Obsession et al ?
    -

I'll advise members to hold their votes if they are considering between Guerlain and Caron. I've always associated these two houses with feminine fragrances and really didn't feel the need to include any one of them. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiver
    I'll advise members to hold their votes if they are considering between Guerlain and Caron. I've always associated these two houses with feminine fragrances and really didn't feel the need to include any one of them. Sorry.
    How about only considering houses which have more than 5 fragrances for men (spin-offs/off-shoots like summer versions excluded ?)
    -

Dependent

I think a lot more men have come to know fragrance by way of Guerlain.
    When I grew up, Mennen was hot stuff. America of course had a huge middle-class then.
    I went to high school and found Brut and Canoe.
    I never shopped in stores that would chase me around to spritz Creed on me, so till I found this forum, I'd never heard of Creed.
    Somewhere I found an abiding respect for Guerlain, probably because my wife wore Shalimar.
    I wish I was made aware of Guerlain in their better years.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    How about only considering houses which have more than 5 fragrances for men (spin-offs/off-shoots like summer versions excluded ?)
    Some suggestions would be welcomed.

Off Topic: Who's the troll who keeps rating these threads poorly? First I see 5 stars and now I see 3? Someone definitely hates this thread and gave it a 1!

Dependent

I gave it a one. I don't rate my own threads and I've read some 5 star threads. This wasn't one of them.

Oh, I see. I just thought it was inconsiderate and egotistic, quite contradictory to your sig(edit: which you have since changed). Given this thread's longevity, the views and replies shows much.

But thanks anyway for your rating. Maybe I should start rating your threads for you.
    Last edited by Shiver; 20th January 2007 at 01:21 PM.

Dependent

knock yerself out.

Oh, I see. I just thought it was inconsiderate and egotistic, quite contradictory to your sig. Given this thread's longevity, the views and replies shows much.

But thanks anyway for your rating. Maybe I should start rating your threads for you.
    I never pay the slightest attention to ratings and have never bothered to rate a thread. I'm sure many here feels the same. So I wouldn't sweat it.

The title is the only thing I look at.

I voted for YSL (over Creed) simply because I really admire the diversity of their offerings. They have managed to release frags that have nothing to do with one another but that cover a spectrum of tastes. They have nothing that is individually as great as Tabarome, but they are doing something interesting with their products. I think they actually put some thought into their male line — unlike, say, Dior that have just a smattering of offerings.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluard
    I never pay the slightest attention to ratings and have never bothered to rate a thread. I'm sure many here feels the same. So I wouldn't sweat it.
    Agreed. I didn't even know that threads WERE rated, much less look to the ratings to see what threads I might read. Titles are sufficient for me, too.

So, no worries.

EDITED LATER: In looking around at some of the threads that were rated (again, I didn't even know there was such a thing until now), considering that "Is Terre d'hermes really that good" and "BdP is my favorite... is it yours" got 5 and 4 stars respectively and the SOTD threads consistently get 5 stars, I wouldn't exactly worry about how you're getting rated on this one.
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 20th January 2007 at 07:27 AM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Dependent

I'd have kept my vote private as the forum is set up and I'm entitled except for being called a troll. Pretty nasty newbie I'd say. Why if I could find all my prosthetics I'd...

Taste preferences and perceptions vary widely among individuals. I have limited knowledge on male scents. Chanel and Creed tied first place in my humble opinion.
    My favourites from Chanel: Egoiste Platinum, Allure, Pour Monsieur
    My favourites from Creed: Millesime Imperiale, Original Vetiver, Royal Water, Baie de Genievre and Green Irish Tweed

Chanel

Antaeus - Masterpiece under its original formula

Égoïste - Masterpiece under its original formula

Pour Monsieur - Masterpiece

Tiffany for Men - An absolute masterpiece (created by Jacques Polge) which should have been a Chanel fragrance.

Pour Monsieur Concentrée

Platinum Égoïste

Allure Homme

Guerlain

Derby - Masterpiece under its original formula

Habit Rouge - Masterpiece under its original formula

Vetiver
    - Masterpiece under its original formula

Mouchoir de Monsieur - Masterpiece under its original formula

Heritage

L'Instant

Yves Saint Laurent

Rive Gauche Pour Homme -
    IMO not far from the women's which is an absolute masterpiece under its original formula.

Kouros -
    A masterpiece of sorts

M7 -
    Same

Opium -
    Excellent

Live Jazz -
    Excellent

YSL Pour Homme -
    Excellent

L'Homme-
    Haven't tried it

Dior

Eau Sauvage -
    Masterpiece

Jules -
    Masterpiece

Fahrenheit -
    Masterpiece

Dior Homme - Masterpiece

Eau Noire

Hermès

Bel Ami -
    Masterpiece

Eau d'Hermes -
    Masterpiece

Terre d'Hermes -
    Not far from masterpiece

Equipage -
    A great one and worthy of masterpiece designation among many here

Rocabar

The masterpiece designations above are not simply my opinion. The same opinions are also shared by a wide variety of the world's top perfumers.

Last edited by pluran; 20th January 2007 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran
    Chanel

Tiffany for Men - An absolute masterpiece (created by Jacques Polge) which should have been a Chanel fragrance.

Pour Monsieur Concentrée

Platinum Égoïste

Allure Homme

Guerlain

Vetiver

Heritage

[B]L'Instant

I agree on YSL's excellent offerings, but the fact that so many Guerlain and Chanel offerings aren't in their original formulations mean that they aren't masterpieces anymore ?
    -

I agree on YSL's excellent offerings, but the fact that so many Guerlain and Chanel offerings aren't in their original formulations mean that they aren't masterpieces anymore ?

The masterpiece designations are not simply my opinion. The opinions are shared by a wide variety of the world's top perfumers.

In most cases the fragrance is still very good and and most likely worthy of masterpiece status. Often times the fragrance is attenutated to some degree but still smells similar. For example, Guerlain's Vetiver still smells extremely good but it's a mere shadow of what it was. All they have to do is substitute tree moss for oakmoss and the difference is profound. Egoïste and Antaeus are still excellent. Same goes for most all of them up there. Mainly they often just have a little less depth, etc.

I wouldn't consider many of the YSL men's frags to be masterpieces but they've provided a lot of dynamic. On the women's side, Rive Gauche and Opium are definitely masterpieces.

Scentemental will hopefully be able to shed more light on some of these reformulations in the near future.
    Last edited by pluran; 20th January 2007 at 11:59 AM.

Ummm... have we all forgotten about Aramis?
    (if already mentioned, I'll apologise in advance for being too lazy to read all responses)

While I have no doubt that Creed would have blown Aramis away in votes, IMHO, any discussion of male fragrance houses should probably include Aramis.

I wonder if this is a reflection of a fall from grace?
    Interestingly, I've noticed the Aramis section at my local department stores getting very, very small.
    Once upon a time, it took prime position in the sales counter.

More competition these days I suppose... and I haven't noticed too many Basenoters being excited by their latest offerings...

Now that I've heard from you all, it looks that I forgot Guerlain and Caron. The problem is that I cannot edit the poll.

Perhaps a moderator should intervene and help out by replacing the Hugo Boss and Ralph Lauren houses with these.
    Done. No problem at all.

I could as easily vote for Guerlain, Caron, L'Artisan, or Creed myself, but I pick Guerlain as the first among equals.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Great! Now all those Guerlain fans could start their voting, if it's not too late.

Edit: I almost forgot...

Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey
    Ummm... have we all forgotten about Aramis?
    (if already mentioned, I'll apologise in advance for being too lazy to read all responses)

While I have no doubt that Creed would have blown Aramis away in votes, IMHO, any discussion of male fragrance houses should probably include Aramis.

I wonder if this is a reflection of a fall from grace?
    Interestingly, I've noticed the Aramis section at my local department stores getting very, very small.
    Once upon a time, it took prime position in the sales counter.

More competition these days I suppose... and I haven't noticed too many Basenoters being excited by their latest offerings...
    I didn't feel the need to include Aramis since apart from Havana, their offerings have never really been too impressive. But one could also argue the same for Gucci (with Envy). This is a problem faced when making a poll with only ten top houses.
    Last edited by Shiver; 21st January 2007 at 02:41 AM.

Guerlain.

Period.

I didn't feel the need to include Aramis since apart from Havana, their offerings have never really been too impressive...
    Tuscany, Devin, JHL, 900... not impressive?
    Such is the subjectivity of fragrance appreciation....

Three times I've gone back into this thread just to re-read and re-think about this post. Great post. Lots of good advice and insight here, and I agree with almost every judgment in it.

Thanks for the great fun, Pluran.
    --Chris

Chanel

Pour Monsieur Concentrée

Platinum Égoïste

Allure Homme

Guerlain

Vetiver

Heritage

L'Instant

Yves Saint Laurent

Rive Gauche Pour Homme -
    IMO not far from the women's which is an absolute masterpiece under its original formula.

Kouros -
    A masterpiece of sorts

M7 -
    Same

Opium -
    Excellent

Live Jazz -
    Excellent

YSL Pour Homme -
    Excellent

L'Homme-
    Haven't tried it

Dior

Eau Sauvage -
    Masterpiece

Jules -
    Masterpiece

Fahrenheit -
    Masterpiece

Dior Homme - Masterpiece

Eau Noire

Hermès

Bel Ami -
    Masterpiece

Eau d'Hermes -
    Masterpiece

Terre d'Hermes -
    Not far from masterpiece

Equipage -

Rocabar

The masterpiece designations above are not simply my opinion. The same opinions are also shared by a wide variety of the world's top perfumers.

That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

...but the fact that so many Guerlain and Chanel offerings aren't in their original formulations mean that they aren't masterpieces anymore ?
    Nonsense! Methinks that's a Guerlain chip on your shoulder, there.
    Last edited by wicozani; 21st January 2007 at 05:23 PM.

Great! Now all those Guerlain fans could start their voting, if it's not too late.

Edit: I almost forgot...

I didn't feel the need to include Aramis since apart from Havana, their offerings have never really been too impressive. But one could also argue the same for Gucci (with Envy). This is a problem faced when making a poll with only ten top houses.
    Huh? Aramis has quite a few good ones: Havana, Devin, 900, JHL, Tuscany, Portos, New West, Aramis. They're reputation may be suffering as of late because newer releases haven't wowed anyone (Life, Ice, Cool, and derivatives). Still, they have a place in history. Still, I think that Guerlain gets my vote.

Chanel

Pour Monsieur Concentrée

Platinum Égoïste

Allure Homme

Guerlain

Vetiver

Heritage

L'Instant

Yves Saint Laurent

Rive Gauche Pour Homme -

Kouros -
    A masterpiece of sorts

M7 -
    Same

Opium -
    Excellent

Live Jazz -
    Excellent

YSL Pour Homme -
    Excellent

L'Homme-
    Haven't tried it

Dior

Eau Sauvage -
    Masterpiece

Jules -
    Masterpiece

Fahrenheit -
    Masterpiece

Dior Homme - Masterpiece

Eau Noire

Hermès

Bel Ami -
    Masterpiece

Eau d'Hermes -
    Masterpiece

Terre d'Hermes -
    Not far from masterpiece

Equipage -

Rocabar

I agree with nearly everything in this pluran except I really don't rate terre de hermes that highly. Great post, thanks.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by robyogi
    Huh? Aramis has quite a few good ones: Havana, Devin, 900, JHL, Tuscany, Portos, New West, Aramis. They're reputation may be suffering as of late because newer releases haven't wowed anyone (Life, Ice, Cool, and derivatives). Still, they have a place in history. Still, I think that Guerlain gets my vote.
    I'm sorry if I did not phrase my sentence correctly. What it should have been was "...their latest offerings had never really been too impressive, with most of their better releases being discontinued." As I'm still quite new to Basenotes, I didn't know so many of you respected the discontinued frags. by Aramis.

P.S. I'm however delighted to know that the recently added house of Guerlain got your vote.
    Last edited by Shiver; 21st January 2007 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder
    I agree with nearly everything in this pluran except I really don't rate terre de hermes that highly. Great post, thanks.
    Thanks hirch_duckfinder,

I've always liked Terre d'Hermès, but after wearing it for ten days in the Mexican desert it became an entirely different animal. All of the subtle nuances revealed themselves and I was in awe. IMO, it must be worn in warm weather (80 f plus) in order to express itself properly. It relies heavily on your skin and a bit of sweat. It also loves nature as the name implies. I went through half a bottle last summer but have only worn it a couple of times since. I'll definitely be going through a lot of it when the temperatures move up. It was Buffalo_Gals who first sent me a sample. I'm glad she did.

pluran
    Last edited by pluran; 21st January 2007 at 08:17 PM.

robyogi,

I hadn't even thought of Aramis (need more sleep). Many greats from them. Thanks for the reminder.

pluran

robyogi,

I hadn't even thought of Aramis (need more sleep). Many greats from them. Thanks for the reminder.

pluran
    Thanks...And I thank musky_monkey for the reminder!

Thanks...And I thank musky_monkey for the reminder!
    Shiver is right, their recent stuff hasn't excited too many Basenoters.
    I'd love to know if the modern Aramis pursuit of fragrance mediocrity is really profitable.
    Do the old-school classics still add to the bottom line?
    Perhaps the Aramis brass are running the company profitably, at the expense of fragrance innovation - which may be a long term disaster?

Such a pity... [runs off to light a candle and assume the fetal position in the corner of the room...]

Edit: oh yes, thanks Robyogi - always the gentleman.

ysl.... the best alongwith Guerlain

Good Lord - a six year old thread! Chanel and Dior share the top for me from this list. (385)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Good Lord - a six year old thread! Chanel and Dior share the top for me from this list. (385)
    You still posted..
    Dior

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    You still posted..
    Dior
    I see you did too even though it wasn't bumped by either of us.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Banned
    Blog Entries

why be so dramatic ?

Creed.

Play nice you too! lol

YSL for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    why be so dramatic ?
    A site for men who love fragrance, and you don't want so dramatic? My friend we have *got* to talk.

I have to say Creed with their high quality compositions. Time may change my opinion but most houses are not pushing the envelope like they once did. Chanel comes to mind on starting to rest on their laurels.

No Bond No 9 on the poll?

Well somebody DID bump it and here we are....
    I think YSL still shade it despite their recent offerings. I guess the other two I would have put in the top three, Guerlain and Chanel, are guilty of uninspired recent work too.

Out of these; I'd say Dior

I'm curious that Caron was one of the possibilities -- 5 or 6 masculines at most?