Code of Conduct

Default As 4 - clarification on name and perfume house

I have just discovered the joy of perfume.

I got a sample of what I think is As Four - Bless (sample marked as chalayan as four bless)and would like to get more, more and more. But I do not know how to look for it because I am confused by the name and who puts it out.
    what is the official name and by whom?
    is it...?

bless by As four
    bless by colette's as four
    colette's as four - bless

thanks-
    -Jam

Default Re: As 4 - clarification on name and perfume house

Where did you get this sample? Is the label typed or hand written? What color is the juice? What does it smell like? (Oriental, floral, sweet, powdery?)
    Where did you get 'colette' from?

I ask because none of your guesses rings a bell with me, although I'm pretty limited in my familiarity with many houses.

I thought- Bliss? Could it be Bliss instead of bless?

I thought of Fleur de Colette by Visari, but that's about all.

Answer:

Curated by Colette (colaboration of Paris fragrance lab, and small design houses, Bless and Hussein Chalayan.)

So.....the name.... As Four.....???

In any case, the person to ask on this board is Buffalo Gal. You can find the above info in her ebay store Dragonfly Scent Me.

I'll explore more for my own curiosity, too.

Curated by Colette has three scents "As Four" , "Bless", "Hussein Chalayan"

You say all these three names were labeled on one sample? Kinda a bummer...but now you can google up the notes and descriptions of these three and probable figure out which one you have. At worst, you'll have to get another sample of all three and then decide.
    Last edited by Shycat; 20th January 2007 at 09:33 PM.

Humph. The trio of scents were released in a limited edition of 300 bottles in 2005. In archive of nowsmellthis blog, As Four was available at Aedes in New York. It ain't there now.

They are also not offered at www.colette.fr although they offer Ineke and Juliette Has a Gun, amoung others.

As Four was/is a citrus/iris frag.
    Bless, I can't describe. Nutella spread, tea, face cream notes. An anti-perfume.
    Chalayan- Meant to evoke a train ride from Victoria station to Istanbul. English garden on top, heart with leather-sounding stryax and birch tar, and then spices and steam.

Ah, well. Dragon Fly Scent me has a decant of Chalayan.

Heh, heh, this is fun for me. I have no life, I say, NO LIFE!

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    Answer:

Curated by Colette (colaboration of Paris fragrance lab, and small design houses, Bless and Hussein Chalayan.)

So.....the name.... As Four.....???

In any case, the person to ask on this board is Buffalo Gal. You can find the above info in her ebay store Dragonfly Scent Me.

I'll explore more for my own curiosity, too.

Curated by Colette has three scents "As Four" , "Bless", "Hussein Chalayan"

You say all these three names were labeled on one sample? Kinda a bummer...but now you can google up the notes and descriptions of these three and probable figure out which one you have. At worst, you'll have to get another sample of all three and then decide.
    Thanks for the info. At least now I know where to start- "Curated by Colette."

I was told the notes are cardamom, cypress, ginger, geranium, thyme.
    I bought a group of 11 samples, one of which is Bless.

The plastic bag was poorly labeled. Part of the description is misleading too:
    "As Four is a small, avant-garde NY fashion house.... Desiree Heiss and Ines Kaas, the two designers of Bless, created an intimate scent of comfort and well-being." This may or may not be accurate. Now when I search Basenotes for Curated By Colette, "Bless" is said to be created by Mark (forgot name) and no mention of Desiree and Ines. and "AsFour" is created by Frank Voekhl (sp?).

i will use the resources that you mentioned and the info provided clarified a lot.
    thanks
    -Jam

The first two you mention are the founders/designers of a fashion house---they are the brand, if you will. The ones listed at basenotes will be the 'noses', the perfumers who actually translated the concept into reality.

Serge Lutens didn't make his own perfumes. He had a vision of what he wanted, and vague perfume concepts like rich, complex, honey-ed, with roses and leather and tobacco. It's Christoper Sheldrake who takes this into the perfumers world, where a leather accord can have six ingredients, or more, and 'roses' can mean fifty different ingredients or any combination of all of them. Lutens imagined Fumerie Turque, but Sheldrake made it.

Yves Saint Laurent's "Paris" has 362 different ingredients.