Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Red face Worst Comment (or reaction)Ever Received?

Mine has to be "Someone smells like a hamster cage!" by some girl at work.

My SOTD that day? Lalique Equus EDP. Still love it and wear it, btw .

Another time i got the "someone reeks of cologne" thing after one-too-many sprays of Tuscany Forte.

Yours? C'mon, fess up!
    Last edited by knightowl; 20th January 2007 at 05:49 AM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Thrax

Default Re: Worst Comment (or reaction)Ever Received?

The worse reaction I ever recieved was from myself when I sprayed Jicky on the back of my hand. I passed out and woke up 3 days later. Jicky had put me in a bathtub full of ice and had removed both my kidneys.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax
    Jicky had put me in a bathtub full of ice and had removed both my kidneys.
    lol...i think i saw them listed in the swap board!

one of my not-very-familiar-in-scents friend's comment "you smell cheap" when i was wearing Green Irish Tweed has to take the cake here

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl
    I made out like a bandit on that trade; a 2.5 oz tester of SMW for two partially-used kidneys. I'm still waiting to top it...
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Dependent

car pooling - 16F degrees - the driver insisted on rolling all the windows down and passed out cigarettes to everyone. He was the only one who smoked. Everyone lit up. This in a 1972 Ford station wagon that sat 18.
    I had worn English Leather Lime.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 20th January 2007 at 06:50 AM. Reason: beaten for lying...

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc
    I made out like a bandit on that trade; a 2.5 oz tester of SMW for two partially-used kidneys. I'm still waiting to top it...
    I need one of those back man. I'm in some F*<k|NG pain over here!!!

Take a bottle of Himalaya for it?

Oh! Once I was afraid to admit that I was the one who had "all that cologne on". So I just sat and grinned on the inside. I was wearing Obsession that day.

Mine has to be "Someone smells like a hamster cage!" by some girl at work.

My SOTD that day? Lalique Equus EDP. Still love it and wear it, btw .

Another time i got the "someone reeks of cologne" thing after one-too-many sprays of Tuscany Forte.

Yours? C'mon, fess up!
    As a side note... It's really bad for small animals (hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs/cavies, rabbits, etc.) to keep them in a cage with cedar bedding. It's horrible for their little respiratory tracts. It might smell nice to humans, but humans can walk away from the irritating fumes, whereas the animal is stuck with that 24/7. You might not be able to see the damage externally just by looking at the animal, but it's still there. Bedding like Carefresh (you should see this site, it's so cute: http://www.carefreshcolors.com/) along the bottom of the cage is the best, because it doesn't have any scent at all, and it won't hurt them if they eat it.

Anyway... I haven't ever gotten a bad reaction from perfume. I wear tiny amounts, and if someone hasn't liked it, nobody's said a word to me.
    Last edited by linnea; 20th January 2007 at 06:43 AM.

While at work, a few female secretaries commented that "it smells like sweaty armpits in here."

I was wearing Rive Gauche.

Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc
    I got a decant of Thrax's kidney fluid from Rach2jlc ("Excellent swapper, A+++", by the way). Man is that some sweet, potent stuff!!

It wasnt a reaction to me, but I was re-testing my sample of Fumerie Turque today when a friend asked me "whats that smell?"

I shared my sample with him and he recoiled in horror minutes later. "This stuff is nasty, like a garbage can rotting with left over pudding and cigarette butts"

I wont go to those extremes, but Fumerie Turque is somewhat of a disaster when it comes to tobacco scents. What were you thinking, Sheldrake ??
    -

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog
    While at work, a few female secretaries commented that "it smells like sweaty armpits in here."

I was wearing Rive Gauche.
    What would they comment when smelling Rose Poivree from The Different Company? I must have been missing from the High Art Of Scent lessons at school, but that is simply disgusting.

Worst comment or reaction ever received would have to be knightowl's responses to a great deal of my posts, esp. the "what would blank wear posts", which I admit I overused, and won't be posting again, and other fanciful posts. He has some kind of vendetta against me.
    Last edited by yepyep; 20th January 2007 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    I got a decant of Thrax's kidney fluid from Rach2jlc ("Excellent swapper, A+++", by the way). Man is that some sweet, potent stuff!!
    Are you sure you didn't get it mixed up with Kouros?

I've never gotten a bad comment per se, but more than a few times I've been told, "maybe you shouldn't wear so much cologne."

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    snip...
    . "This stuff is nasty, like a garbage can rotting with left over pudding and cigarette butts"

I wont go to those extremes, but Fumerie Turque is somewhat of a disaster when it comes to tobacco scents. What were you thinking, Sheldrake ??
    He was probably thinking what I'm thinking right now. The saddest 3 words in the English language are "left over pudding".

I'm sorry that's just not right. I divorced my first wife for things like throwing out pudding before it's time.

Last edited by pluran; 15th April 2007 at 04:31 PM.

It happened a year ago in winter time. I finished work and decided to test Keiko Mecheri Loukhoum. I hailed a taxi. As soon as I jumped in, he taxi driver said:"What is that terrible smell? It is sick and I feel nauseated!". He then un-winded 4 windows and drove at 160 km/h and deliver me to the destination.

I was quite upset because I quite like the Keiko Mecheri Loukhoum and thought about making the purchase, but after this incident, it made me think twice...

"You smell like old damp washing" - CDG Vetiveru

My mother never comments a fragrance, but No. 88 and Voleur de Roses she said:

Boaaaah - Sillage!!!

I think she meant strong/ way too much or something like that ....
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Half the cinema audience verbally complaining about my say rather 'generous' application of Kouros....( see Discontinue it Thread)

My 19 year old Nephew (has decent taste with fragrance) told me I smelled like an old woman. The fragrance was...Antidote. I wasn't wild about it even before his comment, so I gave it away.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I hear they were finally swaped for two empty Old Spice bottles but returned quickly by the male swapper in hermetically sealed baggies, marked as being" too 'Guerlie' smelling" for him..
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo
    car pooling - 16F degrees - the driver insisted on rolling all the windows down and passed out cigarettes to everyone. He was the only one who smoked. Everyone lit up. This in a 1972 Ford station wagon that sat 18.
    I had worn English Leather Lime.
    Next time load up your breast pocket hanky with 'Eau de Hydrogen Sulfide' prior to that driver's turn. My bet is an open window trip the entire way.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I have never heard any negative comments about any fragrances that I have worn. Maybe people are afraid to comment in my presence. Then again, I don't really care. If I like what I'm wearing and the way it smells on me, my opinion is the only one that matters.

-Sloan

I wore Terre d'Hermes, while out clubbing. Pulled a girl and she thought that I smelt of soap powder. She then reached the conclusion that I was still living with my mother.

Never again...

Not long ago, my best friend said I smelled like a "SKANK" wearing Gendarme. Go figure... I didn't think anyone could even smell it. I likely put too much on -- my bad, but his reaction made me crack up... SKANK.
    Peace ~ Markymark

This was my mother's reaction when I offered her my wrist to smell L' Instant De Guerlain: "You should be older than seventy years old an drive a Rolls Royce to wear it"
    It may not sound like a bad comment after all... (concerning the Rolls,not my age)...
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

I forgot about a few comments/reactions to A*Men

My mother who adores fragrance - "DEAR GOD SON, what the HELL are you wearing! Keep away from me its making me feel sick!"

My friends "PLEASE don't wear that Angel stuff or we are not going out with you"

Cleared an elevator after spraying a sample, lol, the look on their faces!

When I was moving from London, my friend and I thought it would be amusing to cover the house in A*Men. I started to spray upstairs then I heard screams of NOOOOOO, NOOOO NOT YET! I got the fright of my life! It was my friend smelling A*Men.

So maybe its a UK thing? I have yet to meet a living soul here who can bare the stuff!

"do you smell laundry detergent?"
    on prada man
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

"You smell just like bug repellent." - DH2B commenting on Prada (which my mum had just given me for Christmas. The funny part is that he didn't really mean it in a bad way. He didn't mind the bug repellent smell. This guy likes camping WAY too much. And Prada does NOT smell like bug repellent! Well, maybe just a bit in the top notes.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

Creed GIT -- A confused looking co-worker asked "are you wearing ... Aspen?" clearly meaning something more like "what happened? Prada suit and Gucci shoes left you with so little cash you could only afford some Aspen from WalMart?"
    Last edited by dwntwnjay; 20th January 2007 at 09:29 PM.

"Never wear that again! It's giving me a headache!"

Rive Gauche in winter.

Female co-worker.

QE

"Ewwwww that smells like old men!"

Female friend on Rive Gauche PH

"You've got a cold? I can smell the chest rub from here"

Classmates in lecture commenting on Polo Black. I might have sprayed too much that day =P

"You smell like a piece of candy caught in the vacuum cleaner causing the belt to burn!"

Coworker's comment on Bulgari Black

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013
    I have never heard any negative comments about any fragrances that I have worn. Maybe people are afraid to comment in my presence. Then again, I don't really care. If I like what I'm wearing and the way it smells on me, my opinion is the only one that matters.

-Sloan
    Exactly. When my car was broken, I had to take the bus. This boy and girl got on the bus and sat behind me and the boy commented, "See, I told you people on the bus stinks". I was wearing Ultraviolet Man. I still like it though so I guess he is going to have to pinch his nose or something if we shall ever cross paths again.

Quote Originally Posted by CoL
    "You smell like old damp washing" - CDG Vetiveru
    This comment really surprises me, as Vetivveru seems like one that should be universally pleasing. What is an old damp washing anyways??

As for me, I've recieved a decent amount of negative comments. Well, I used to at least because I used to enjoy overapplying. I usually just got told that I wore too much cologne, or that my cologne was way too strong. Thankfully the positive comments have easily outweighed the negative, even more so lately now that I don't overapply anymore.

You smell very foody. Like roast
    Dior Eau Noire

This smells like dentist's cabinet
    Tea for two
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Wink Re: Worst Comment (or reaction)Ever Received?

Two comments: "Who smells like bug spray?" and "You smell like a whore."
    On a positive note, I was not bothered by mosquitoes (or pimps) either day.

Unhappy Re: Worst Comment (or reaction)Ever Received?

Very recently (sadly) I wore Antico Caruso, and may have sprayed it on a little "too thick" and my wife and son both said it smelled funky, sort of like sulfurous eggs with sugar! They waved their hands around and suggested I wash that "terrible" stuff off!

If they only knew how much I paid for that "terrible" eggs and sugar stuff, and how I struggled with the decision to make the purchase, wow! It makes me sick to think, especially since I REALLY like it.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by MikeD
    Two comments: "Who smells like bug spray?" and "You smell like a whore."
    On a positive note, I was not bothered by mosquitoes (or pimps) either day.
    LOL!

This reminds me of another comment. "Smells like bug spray." -A co-worker on Gucci Pour Homme.

I've worked in a large hotel for a few years, so i've gotten lots of comments on my fragrances. 99% have been positive, thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Ab74
    "You smell like a piece of candy caught in the vacuum cleaner causing the belt to burn!"

Coworker's comment on Bulgari Black
    Thats the true spirit of Bvl Black
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by yepyep
    Worst comment or reaction ever received would have to be knightowl's responses to a great deal of my posts, esp. the "what would blank wear posts", which I admit I overused, and won't be posting again, and other fanciful posts. He has some kind of vendetta against me.
    I plead guilty to having posted a snide response here and there...i guess i have a dark sense of humor. But, i don't feel that i have targeted you, or anyone here, in particular ( therefore my shock at reading your post). If i have offended you in any way, shape or form in the past, i truly apologize, Mr. yepyep.

Just watch your back. (just kidding)

I posted this back on 4th November -- it still creeps me out to even think about it -- talk about Electra Complexes!
    "Strangest one I've heard yet: a woman came up to me one day after I'd put on bay rum (good one, prob. Trumper's). She ran her hand over my chest and seductively whispered in my ear, 'Mmmmm -- you smell just like my father.' EWWWWWWWW -- I was creeped out for days. She may not have intended to sound creepy in saying that, true, but it just freaked me out."

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

That's probably my favourite fragrance of all time!

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    It wasnt a reaction to me, but I was re-testing my sample of Fumerie Turque today when a friend asked me "whats that smell?"

I shared my sample with him and he recoiled in horror minutes later. "This stuff is nasty, like a garbage can rotting with left over pudding and cigarette butts"

CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Wfoah - how do you get from soap powder to living with your mom? I don't see the logic in that conclusion. Because moms wash their kids mouth out with soap powder?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor
    I wore Terre d'Hermes, while out clubbing. Pulled a girl and she thought that I smelt of soap powder. She then reached the conclusion that I was still living with my mother.

Never again...
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

You are wearing cologne? really? you smell like nothing.

Somehow i felt insulted!

My granny was in the hospital. She was kind of 82. I was wearing AMEN.
    She said VERY seriously: Who is eating popcorn? After that she put a strange face.....Lol

"Whatever you are wearing smells like the clothes my grandma kept in boxes in the attic of her home."

- My father speaking of Armani Code. This wasn't so much that it was negative, but I didn't feel comfortable responding with a "thank you" afterwards.

"THERE'S A STINK BOMB IN THE ROOM!"

- Kid sitting next to me in high school. This turned out to be a funny one. I put on CK Crave after gym class and had just sat down for my next period. As it turned out, a group of pranksters did actually set off a stink bomb in the room, but I misinterpreted the comment because the rank effects of the bomb hadn't entered my nose yet. To this day I'm cautious about wearing it, even though I believe it is pleasant (and synthetic, I know, I know), plus it generates compliments.

*Orgasm faces that somehow also managed to capture the pain of a woman giving birth*

- Liberally-applied Body Kouros in a crowded elevator/lift. Never again.

Not really about the particular fragrance but the fact that I was wearing a fragrance the first place.

Female friend: "Oh, have you finally come out of the closet?"

Half-jokingly, though. (And no, I'm not gay) Fragrance was D&G By Man. Then she admitted that she liked it...

Another one: "You smell like my grandfather". Although I doubt that her grandfather wears Bulgari Black layered with Dior Homme!

I was wearing my Dolce and Gabbana PH one day and female acquaintance smelled me and told me I smelled gay. She knows for a fact that I'm not gay, but it was a wierd thing to say. Oh well, she was the only one that had anything remotely negative to say about my D & G.

Arrow Re: Worst Comment (or reaction)Ever Received?

'Smells like cucumbers! What kind of cheap cologne are you wearing?' - on Kouros

'That smells like some burning rubber!' - on Body Kouros

'Oh man, that smells so cheap!' - on Egoiste Platinum.

All comments by my friends. Though, I got some positive reactions to Kouros from girls!

"Somebody smells clean -- like Comet!"

Oooh boy, the sillage of Un Jardin Mediterranee reminded a woman of something you scour pots and pans with -- great.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger.
    There is really nothing to be said about it.
    It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.

--W. Somerset Maugham

My Wardrobe

When I was in my teens (not too long ago) I cleared out a small store wearing Jungle Gardenia. While checking out, the sales lady yelled to one of the customers to leave the door open. I threw that stuff out and bought some White Shoulders, sat next to a guy my grandfather's age and he said I smelled like his grandmother. I have not worn florals to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux
    You are wearing cologne? really? you smell like nothing.

Somehow i felt insulted!

Were you wearing l'Antimatiere?

I think the only really negative comment I ever received came from my SO, so it's not a big deal. I can't remember exactly what she said, but she went on to great length explaining everything that was wrong with my SOTD and how godawful it was. That was CdG Odeur 53.

That was almost a year ago, and I haven't worn it around her since then. Still, to this day, she will get very spirited about 'Odor 50-something' if I bring it up. Out of everything I own, it's probably the only one that she can recognize and name instantly.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

I had D&G ph on and someone was walking behind me using some very exaggerated coughing!

Mind you.. everyone else loves it.. so im not too concerned!!

I once put on too much of M 7 (Yves Saint-Laurent). My father said, smiling: "I wouldn't be surprised if you got raped smelling like this."

(My mother loved the fragrance.)

when someone sneeze. another 1 is when i over sprayed armani code, this female said that somebody smells like bug spray.
    come 2 the edge he said,they said we scared,come 2 the edge he said, they came,he pushed them and they flew.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrell3000 View Post
    I was wearing my Dolce and Gabbana PH one day and female acquaintance smelled me and told me I smelled gay.
    LOL!

"You smell like Nick Nolte!" That wasn't exactly what I was going for when I spritzed on some Bijon. Not a super compliment.

"Did Pepsi come out with a cologne?" was a question posed to me after wearing Paul Sebastian (I guess I had that one coming).
    You are not your perfume.

Basenotes Institution

My boyfriend said I smelled like a 'cheap whore' when I wore A.maze by People of the Labyrinths.

I told him he could sleep on the couch