Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Wink Re: Worst Comment (or reaction)Ever Received?

I was on a flight from Charlotte to New York yesterday and for some reason, as we began to descend, I broke out my Tricorn and dabbed a little on my neck. The people in the row behind me blurted out, "this plane smells like baby powder!" Not so bad, but I don't think Tricorn smells anything like baby powder. Airplanes are a bad place to share sillage. Lesson learned quickly.

Default Re: Worst Comment (or reaction)Ever Received?

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax View Post
    The worse reaction I ever recieved was from myself when I sprayed Jicky on the back of my hand. I passed out and woke up 3 days later. Jicky had put me in a bathtub full of ice and had removed both my kidneys.
    WHAT????
    --------------------------------------
    I kind of answered this on the "whoops" thread, BUT...1.) I was asked to leave a Health Food Store, manager hated my scent.
    2) wore too much patchouli to a doctor's office when I was 15, and made the people in the waiting room, sicker than they already were. Alot of nasty remarks.
    3) wore something and my ex husband leaned over and sniffed me & said, "you smell like bug spray", and it definitely confirmed to me, why we were divorced.
    4)Whenever your in a crowded room or place, and someone says, "what's that smell?" you know, it's probably you, and I just laugh!
    5) I have quite a few others, but who the heck cares, what those idiots say. I never comment out loud to anyone, I keep the negative responses to myself.

Alot of people don't wear scents, and if they do they're really subtle, so when you wear a unusual or strong scent, chances are people are gonna notice, and unfortunately, say something nasty.
    Last edited by Dolly Dagger; 24th March 2007 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

A female friend said I smelled like rat's poison, after I tried Hermes Un Jardin En Mediterranee on my wrist. I still liked the scent though.
    Last edited by Boal; 22nd March 2007 at 06:38 PM.

Yeah, yeah, everyone's a critic. The one making the comment probably had breath that would stop a charging rhino!

Any-who....what a funny thread!!

My wife didn't like my Gucci PH; said I smelled like a gerbil cage.

The only other reactions are sort of neutral, like "Wow, I can really smell your cologne." Hmmmmm, is that an insult?

Duncan, it is rather on the negative side of response, I guess

Alicka, yes, I suppose you're right, but if there's not sillage or projection I would think it a waste of time to wear.

"PUAAAAJJJJ, you smell like a whore after a hole day of "working" waiting at the bus-stop...."
    My wife when I was wearing CDG 2 edp....

now, I will love Kouros until I shrug this earthly plane, despite a gal friend blurting out one night at the movies "it smells like a drunk bum pissed himself in here."
    Her tastes, however, run to things like essential oils and other such hippie pursuits. Another friend, a classy and sassy investment manager, thinks it smells divine. I'm inclined to agree with the latter.

Well, I think one thing I think we've all firmly established is that taste in fragrance is absolutely subjective, while trends and standards exist, e.g., most people don't seem to mind lilac and lavendar. Although it's strange many people conjure a men's restroom when they smell Kouros. One thing is for sure, however, if someone tells me I smell like a rotting corpse or a cesspool, I won't wear that around them anymore.

My mom told me that my cologne smelled "cheap... like Aqua Velva". This was strange, since she complimented me on it several weeks earlier.

The scent in question? None other than the Basenotes fave Terre d'Hermes. Not surprisingly, once the bottle was empty, I didn't replace it (even though I love the stuff).
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

From a female co-worker,What are you wearing today....Cat wee? It was live jazz and havent worn it since!!!!
    ~~Penniless but smell Fantastic~~

<*Orgasm faces that somehow also managed to capture the pain of a woman giving birth*

- Liberally-applied Body Kouros in a crowded elevator/lift. Never again. [/QUOTE]>: originally posted by john

I think I just pulled a muscle from laughing at this facial expression description.
    Last edited by cafelavena; 24th March 2007 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Didn't correctly quote, so there was no indication of the original poster.

"Something smells like hairspray!!"

Sadly, it was me with Chanel Cristalle EDT.

Hmm...so many that are well liked and recommended by many BN'ers are also those that smell disgusting to others.

Cool Re: Worst Comment (or reaction)Ever Received?

Oh, I've posted on this before. It's a toss up between

1. " You smell like a gay man's a******e !" (Fragrance: Muscs Kublai Khan)

This was from a lesbian film director. Being straight, I took her word for it, though I've often wondered----how would she know?

2. " See, now you smell great!" --From my current ex-gf. The fragrance?

Nothing. She claimed my varying frags 'made her confused.' Even though we only saw each other aprox every two weeks. Personally, I think it was just so I wouldn't compete with the Issey Miyake EDP that I got her for Christmas.

What the hell, she once asked me " What is that cheap stuff you're wearing? "

It was BdP.

Cry me a River,

Mario.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

My co-worker wore kouros the other day, and everyone said he smelled like burnt hair covered in dog poop. Oh wait, thats what kouros is supposed to smell like! :-)

A co-worker told me my cologne (Opium for men) smelled like bug spray. I never wore it again.

Angry Re: Worst Comment (or reaction)Ever Received?

My wife's comment as she smelled WoW on me: "I'll change your cathether when you get home from work."

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    Mine has to be "Someone smells like a hamster cage!" by some girl at work.

My SOTD that day? Lalique Equus EDP. Still love it and wear it, btw .

Another time i got the "someone reeks of cologne" thing after one-too-many sprays of Tuscany Forte.

Yours? C'mon, fess up!
    The worst reaction I ever received to a frag was with Musc Ravageur, believe it or not. My partner smelled it on me and said "You STINK, please go wash that off NOW!" I ended up selling the bottle about 2 years ago, and I regret it. I just bought Renee Musk which smells almost exactly identical, so I'll wear it when I'm not around him : )
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

Wink Re: Worst Comment (or reaction)Ever Received?

Quote Originally Posted by Ab74 View Post
    "You smell like a piece of candy caught in the vacuum cleaner causing the belt to burn!"

Coworker's comment on Bulgari Black
    This is one of the most creative comments I have heard of.And I think it is not bad at all.

I gave someone an allergic reaction one day wearing Pi, I guess you could consider that a bad reaction :P

"What smells like play-doh?"

- said while I was wearing Ambre Sultan

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    "What smells like play-doh?"

- said while I was wearing Ambre Sultan
    I smell a strong play-doh note in Ambre Sultan too. I was wearing it once, and two other people said the same thing.

I have just spent 85€ on a bottle of Musc Ravageur and was told by a colleague of mine that I smelled like a bad deo.
    OK, I overdid it with 4 sprays.. As it was the first time I wore it I didn't really know how powerful that stuff is. I spent 10 min in the toilets rubbing my chest and neck with soaked napkins and it didn't help much

Virgin Island Water
    "it smells like my sister"

^^ Maybe that was not a bad reaction? :/

It was for me :/

From my husband: "Are you mad at me? This stuff smells like FISH!!"

... It was Mitsouko. *sigh* So I only wear it when I'm pissed at him, now. Bwaaaa!!

Off-Scenter

Shortly after my father-in-law passed away, I got into bed and cuddled close to my wife, still wearng some Parfum d'Habit from the evening. She turned around and told me "You smell like my father."

Great. Incest and morbidity all wrapped up in one.

Not exactly the worst, but yesterday I had applied one spray of L'air Du Desert Marocain, and as I was going out my dad said it smelled like someone had smoked pot, and that the smell reminded him of his youth....

Both my mom who is about to turn 60, and a woman that I work with who is about the same age wanted my Prada Amber pour homme for themselves after they smelled it.

Ok, maybe it is a bit feminine and old lady'ish. :bounce:

"You smell like burning corpses. It's making me sick." That was my partner the first time I wore Piper Nigrum. Go figure. I still bought a bottle! ;-)

The reaction I really hate is when I'm wearing something I love and and think is fantastic and girlfriends say "where's the fragrance? I can't smell it!"

Sets my teeth to grinding.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

The strangest I ever had was when a woman recently complimented me on the necktie I was wearing. She asked me where it was from and I said Brooks Brothers. She said "You smell like Brooks Brothers, too," which is strange because I was wearing Habit Rouge.... Guerlain meets Madison Avenue?

You smell like a weird old man

My little sister on Rive Gauche PH

Quote Originally Posted by redbike View Post
    My wife's comment as she smelled WoW on me: "I'll change your cathether when you get home from work."
    Sorry - that's really funny. I like your wife's style!
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

i forgot what i wore but my friend told me "you smell like you walked in to Bath and Body works and a nuclear explosion went off."
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

I was wearing Le Male at work, and some woman started waving her hand in front of her face, and with a scrunched up nose, told me "HOLY COW! Some girl is wearing way too much perfume!"

I don't wear Le [fe]Male anymore.
    Last edited by Leifer; 4th January 2008 at 01:56 AM.

Recently at my part time job a coworker came up to me in the back room and proceeded to tell me that she liked me (shes married, so as friends) but that my cologne was giving her a splitting head ache. The scent...Gucci Rush. Can you believe that. I asked another coworker and she said it was noticeable and aggressive. I have been waiting to post that up. I believe I used four sprays because it is so close wearing and she and I crossed paths a couple hours after I put my fragrance on. I still can't believe it.
    Plus side I have gotten good response from Issey Blue, D&G PH, and Arpege PH.

Not 24 hours after being accused by both of my younger sisters that I smelt of "bear piss" I asked for some confirmation that I didn't actually smell of said excrement to another audience. To them, instead, I smelt of their 'grandfathers.' I was 23, they [the second audience] were 40+ yrs. old, and I was wearing Kouros.

That story has made it easily in the top 3 scents that I love!

I shared this before, but when my 11-year-old caught a whiff of Musc Ravageur, he clutched at his throat, rolled his eyes back, staggered around the room, collapsed on the floor, and thrashed around for several seconds, gasping for air.

Kid watches too much tv.
    Sniff and let sniff.

"What smells like bug repellent?"

Well, it was me and my TWO sprays of A*Men I had applied 2 hours earlier. About 5 people agreed I smelled like Bug Spray, oddly enough I got a few compliments minutes later.
    I have: Davidoff Relax, Dior Homme Sport, Boss Selection, Azzaro Visit, and Creed MI (will provide # on bottle for verification) available.

Looking for the following: DG The One, Himalaya, YSL L'Homme, John Varvatos (not vintage) Canali For Men or Paypal.

A few years ago, in the office, I overheard someone who sits a few rows away from where I sit, exclaim to their cube mate, "Ewww... you smell just like Griff."

A couple of years ago I sat on the bus, wearing maybe a little to much Halston 1-12. A mother and her young son sat down right next to me. The son said to his mother "Mummy... it smells like pizza here!", and the mothers face turned red while she hushed her son. The kid must have mistaken my Halston 1-12 for pizza, I did not feel anything else than my Halston 1-12.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Well, I think one thing I think we've all firmly established is that taste in fragrance is absolutely subjective, while trends and standards exist, e.g., most people don't seem to mind lilac and lavendar. Although it's strange many people conjure a men's restroom when they smell Kouros. One thing is for sure, however, if someone tells me I smell like a rotting corpse or a cesspool, I won't wear that around them anymore.
    The whole Kouros thing IMHO comes down to the fact that as a very musky and substantial fragrance, you only need *very* little of it. If you apply the same amount of Kouros as you would a normal fragrance, it is too much. One spray is all you need, and its not an office fragrance.
    Last edited by Nitromusk; 4th January 2008 at 05:09 AM.

On a recent Ohio vacation, me and my wife were in the car with her Aunt and Uncle. The subject of perfume came up, and she starts talking to them about my fragrance collecting and swapping.

The shocked look on their faces and dead silence said it all.
    Last edited by knightowl; 4th January 2008 at 05:52 AM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Talking Re: Worst Comment (or reaction)Ever Received?

aaaaahhhahahahahahhahahahahhahahaaaaa

GREAT THREAD !

I know I'll get some when I finally buy BDP....

I got my DH to smell my arm that I tested Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune on. Their was silence, a grimace and the look of horror on his face said it all. The darn stuff smelled like rancid, tart armpit B.O.! The worse thing is the B.O. smell lingered for hours despite several washings.
    Last edited by orchid74; 4th January 2008 at 07:35 AM.

Just over Christmas, I had some friends over and gave my one friend a spray of Angel. My other friend from across the room said, "Who sh*t out the perfume?" Which is understandable for such a cloying first spritz of angel. One friend told me my Guerlain Vetiver smelled like bugspray. The same person said my patchouli smelled like furniture polish on a different occasion.
    Last edited by JickyMan; 4th January 2008 at 07:22 AM.

you smell like a whore...while i was wearing JPG Gaultier2,same response with mugler amen...what exactly does a whore smell like anyway?. .

Different from french whores u think? ha ha
    --------------------------------------
    oh yeah...lest i forget...i was wearing issey blue and a chick im friends with said i smelled like A1 steaksauce...i bought the damn frag on a whim because a week before that she and her roomie(who i later dated for a bit) said how amazing i smelled when i had used a tester of it before coming to their apartment! Fickle!
    Last edited by jdnba; 4th January 2008 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    On a recent Ohio vacation, me and my wife were in the car with her Aunt and Uncle. The subject of perfume came up, and she starts talking to them about my fragrance collecting and swapping.

The shocked look on their faces and dead silence said it all.
    HAHAHAHA isn't that the truth!

I wore some Montale Ginger Musk in the bedroom the other night. (My other half and I were just watching TV with the dogs.)

In the middle of an episode of Law and Order, I offered him my wrist to sniff and said, "What do you think of this one?"
    He took a whiff and replied, "Very nice. Really. For a drag queen."

I gave it away in a contest two days later.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 4th January 2008 at 12:54 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    I smell a strong play-doh note in Ambre Sultan too. I was wearing it once, and two other people said the same thing.
    I have found that the best counter remark (if you want to make one) is to re-direct their perception of the note. For example with Ambre Sultan ask them, "have you ever been in a woodshop?- that's what you smell". So far, 2 times, their reaction has been essentially, 'oh, yeah- that's it'.

"i can't breathe"
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

random hits by stranger's are priceless. but the latest was from a friend...L'anarchiste....you smell like a harvard student performing an ob-gyn.. i wrote this pg-13 but you get the idea

This thread seems to tell us that "You smell like bug spray" is default code for "You smell like something weird, but I don't know what that something is."

I can wear pretty much any scent and my son will tell me I smell like crap... But he's 18 and his acceptable range of fragrance is pretty much limited to CK One Summer '07 (which I gave him when I decided that I was probably never going to wear it.) Actually, whenever I come around him and start waving my wrist under his nose, showing off a recent purchase (Kiehl's Musk Oil, Terre d'Hermes and Serge Lutens Gris Clair would be the latest acquisitons) he will usually yell and grab for his bottle of CK1S which he will then start frantically spritzing in my direction as if it were, um... bug spray.

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    I wore some Montale Ginger Musk in the bedroom the other night. (My other half and I were just watching TV with the dogs.)

In the middle of an episode of Law and Order, I offered him my wrist to sniff and said, "What do you think of this one?"
    He took a whiff and replied, "Very nice. Really. For a drag queen."

I gave it away in a contest two days later.
    As the contest winner, I'll be happy to try and smell like a "drag queen"!

BTW, thanks for the tracking#.
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

This is a great thread that has made me laugh out loud several times. . . and yes, feel SO much better.

All of the following have been by middle-aged women at work. That seems to be the audience most negatively affected by (or sensitive to) fragrance as well as the crowd most comfortable saying something out loud about it:

HOT Always: "Whew, who just put on perfume?"
    Grey Flannel: "Ugh, do you smell cologne?" I slinked away trying to avoid being found out, but was tracked across the floor and forced into confession.
    Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme: "Do you smell Bounce dryer sheets?"
    Last edited by richardjamesedt; 5th January 2008 at 09:47 PM.
    My current top 10: Richard James; Clive Christian No. 1 for Men; L'Artisan Voleur de Roses; Creed Aventus, Erolfa, Santal Imperial, Virgin Island Water, and Windsor; Serge Lutens Chergui and Gris Clair

"It is never to late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

" ohh maa Annie's popped off again !
    one little girl nudging her sister and complaining to her mum after she had got a whiff of the River Gauche I was testing .
    She copped a good wrist hit in an elevator after I adjusted my shirt under the jacket sleeve shrugging my shoulders for a good fit ... poor little girl ,, I giggled with them innocently too heheehee
    Sorry Gauche lovers ..

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

The receptionist at the office I work at told me that the Elizabeth Arden Sandalwood I was wearing smelled like a kitty litter box.

Conversely, she wears a perfume that reminds me of an old ladies hair dressing salon.
    Last edited by greendragon; 6th January 2008 at 12:01 PM.
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.