Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Worst Comment (or reaction)Ever Received?

"You smell like a BITCH" .... said by my mother.

So heartbreaking....

"Do you smell something burning?"
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Quote Originally Posted by zeram1 View Post
    As the contest winner, I'll be happy to try and smell like a "drag queen"!
    Actually, you should really like it. What he meant by that was that it was just way too feminine for me (and I occasionally wear Shalimar!).
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 6th January 2008 at 08:36 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Actually, you should really like it. What he meant by that was that it was just way too feminine for me (and I occasionally wear Shalimar!).
    Thanks, it arrived today - were you able to get the spray mechanism to work? I had to unscrew the bottle open to get to the juice - and I now know what your companion meant by "drag queen"!
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

along time ago..was in like the 3rd grade..pops had sum joop..put on like 4-5 sprays went into class was kicked out of the class for a whole week because it was so strong and bothered everybody..lol

"If you were sitting next to me on the bus, I would be very angry."

- my sister, after I emerged from her bathroom having just applied Diptyque Opôné.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

That's why i got rid of it in three days. I've had bad experiences with this one. As for me i just couldn't get to like this one no matter how much i tried. I still can't understand how this one is so well received in this messageboard.

Red face Re: Worst Comment (or reaction)Ever Received?

I was wearing Shalimar and a woman at work wrinkled up her nose and looked at me like I was pretty disgusting and said, "You smell like my grandmother" She actually acted PO'd.
    I have read in Plato and Cicero sayings that are wise and very beautiful; but I have never read in either of them: Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden.'' --Saint Augustine

“Hastiness and superficiality are the psychic diseases of the twentieth century, and more than anywhere else this disease is reflected in the press.”--Alexander Solzhenitsyn

How rude, it's not your fault if she doesn't like her grandmother!
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Years ago when it first came out I would wear Quorum very often....I very often caused many people nearby to sneeze like crazy.
    I liked it though and so did many others.....oh well.
    When I was testing Le Labo's Rose 31 my SO's reaction was direct and to the point....with a grimace I was told "You smell like you've been cooking". LOL.
    Last edited by loungeboy; 8th January 2008 at 10:06 PM.

Talking Re: Worst Comment (or reaction)Ever Received?

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    How rude, it's not your fault if she doesn't like her grandmother!
    Yeah, someone else said that I should have told her that she must have a hot grandmother. :bounce:
    Last edited by bbobkc; 8th January 2008 at 10:19 PM.
    I have read in Plato and Cicero sayings that are wise and very beautiful; but I have never read in either of them: Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden.'' --Saint Augustine

“Hastiness and superficiality are the psychic diseases of the twentieth century, and more than anywhere else this disease is reflected in the press.”--Alexander Solzhenitsyn

I had asked a relative what they thought of my scent.
    "Smells like something you buy for $5."
    And it wasn't something you buy for $5
    Last edited by Mostapha; 22nd January 2008 at 06:57 PM.

In a meeting I walked in with a touch too much Kiel's Musk on...

Coworker: "I was sitting here and my eyes started watering"

IFigured it was on a touch too strong at that point. Toned it down for the next time.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

while wearing Aqua di Gio:

lady in sporting goods store: are you wearing bugspray?!?!?1

me: uhhh yeah, it's the new deep woods off with DEET, I have a terrible fear of killer mosquitoes...

her: it smells terrible...

me: I honestly tried to find something that would mesh with your wider experiences in life, but they didn't have anything that smelled like old backseats and cheap, used latex...

worst comment I ever gave someone on her perfume (dork who doused in something horrendously cheap before getting on the skytrain in Vancouver):

me: You smell like the beach...

her: thank you!

me: after the red tide has gone out!

given the laughter I wasn't the only one thinking it.

I got told I smelt like curry, when I was sampling Santal de Mysore. :P

These are so funny! No surprise that Kouros and Rive Gauche are frontrunners here

I was once told I smelled like "sweaty onions" and like I was "digging for dirty clothes in the hamper on laundry day".

"Jy ruik soos 'n mof": You smell like a homosexual.

Christ, how un-PC can you get!

BTW I was wearing Tsar. Go work it out...
    Last edited by renperd; 23rd January 2008 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Addition

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    I was once told I smelled like "sweaty onions" and like I was "digging for dirty clothes in the hamper on laundry day".
    What were you wearing?

Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt View Post
    What were you wearing?
    I was once told like I smelled like a dirty laundry hamper whilst wearing CDG Vetiveru!

Today
    You smell like diapers.
    i was wearing Hammam Bouquet

Talking Re: Worst Comment (or reaction)Ever Received?

"You smell like cat litter, not used cat litter, just fresh plain deodorant smelling cat litter" I was wearing my beloved Ferre pour homme 1986.

"What f###k did you put on? Violetta di Parma of your great-grandmother?" (about any floral)

"What is this launder smell?" (It was Knize Ten)

"Did you cook curry chicken today?" (about a spicy Lutens sample I'd tried)

"Hmm, what is this smell of raw potatoes?" (This was Iris silver mist)
    --------------------------------------
    [QUOTE=Mario Justiniani;1001786]Oh, I've posted on this before. It's a toss up between

1. " You smell like a gay man's a******e !" (Fragrance: Muscs Kublai Khan)

This was from a lesbian film director. Being straight, I took her word for it, though I've often wondered----how would she know?

Just 2 questions:

1. What should a lesbian know about the smell of gay men a******e?

2. And, do they smell different than straight men a******e?
    Last edited by Waldemar; 24th January 2008 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

After singing my praises for Fred Malle's Outrageous, SuperMarky says, "smells like Woolite to me!"

Ok, that shook me for a minute - because I kind of like Outrageous, so . . . had to conclude Woolite must have very good taste in selecting fragrance for their laundry soap!

i used a*men today and... my mom told me i smelled like a fag....

I wore lacoste essential today and was told I smelt like "the sick after eating too much candy"
    when your walking through hell walk faster !
    old enough to be mature - young enough to act plain stupid

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    Wfoah - how do you get from soap powder to living with your mom? I don't see the logic in that conclusion. Because moms wash their kids mouth out with soap powder?
    because men don't usually use fabric softener (liquid) that most women/wives/moms use...
    Always remember you are unique; just like everyone else.

got the wind knocked out of my sails yesterday: was trying out newly purchased Attar and a good friend said "but you always smell the same."

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    Mine has to be "Someone smells like a hamster cage!" by some girl at work.

My SOTD that day? Lalique Equus EDP. Still love it and wear it, btw .

Another time i got the "someone reeks of cologne" thing after one-too-many sprays of Tuscany Forte.

Yours? C'mon, fess up!
    i get hamster cage all the time with this one!! but i mean you have to admit, it smells exactly like hamster shavings! most people say its a wonderful hamster cage theyd like to live in tho

In a supermarket aisle: "Let's get out of here," said a fashionable young professional woman to a friend just like her beside her. "Something smells too much like my dad here anyway."

I was in Annick Goutal's Vetyver.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Yesterday my sister walked into my office, sniffed the air for a second, and said "Something smells a little "off" in here".

I thought "Hmmm, maybe it's the agarwood (oud) CO2 oil I dropped on the floor". So I asked her to smell the vial of oil and she shrieked, "Oh my god, that's it! It smells like ass! Like total ass-wipe!! Get that out of here!!".

... I'd never seen a more visceral reaction to a scent before. And the interesting thing is that I asked her to smell my arm, which had agarwood on it, and she LIKED it... which just proves how much agarwood changes once it's on the skin. When I've had it on for 30 minutes it starts to smell sweet and, frankly, incredible.
    Currently digging: Le Labo Rose 31 and Oud oils.

Yesterday I ran some errands with just a little bit of Vintage Tabarome on. I didn't get any negative comments, but I noticed a lot of people kind of "sniffling" around me as the day went on. It made me self conscious. I comforted myself by thinking about how awesome Winston Churchill was.

Off-Scenter

Here's a new one:

My ten year old comes up to me today and says "You smell like grandma's house. Either you're wearing grandma's perfume, or grandma wears cologne."

I'm wearing Jubilation XXV.

I went to work having put on some Mazzolari Lui. Person who tends to wear really strong perfume in the office walks in to give me a paper and said "Woah. Headshop."

For those who have not tried Lui - Incense and Patchouli are very strong notes. And the sillage can be into the next county. LOL - served me right for wearing it into the office.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Once, in 1995, I wore Versus by Versace to work. I liked it, my friends liked it, I thought all was good in the world. Then, in the copy room, a young woman asked, "Is that your aftershave?! My goodness, you stink!" Several other women in the room snickered. I was mortified. The next day I switched to Chanel Pour Monsieur as an office fragrance and received nothing but compliments. The afore mentioned young woman said, "Now that's more like it." I thought she was very rude, and I sometimes still enjoy Versus--just not at work.

I write a weekly fragrance column for my school paper and 1 week I had an experience I just had to mention in it:

http://cornellsun.com/node/25990

"While diligently cramming at the library one night, I stood up, stretched and saw a piece of paper on the floor next to my chair.

Apparently, the person behind me left a note before she got up. It read: “YOUR COLOGNE IS TOO STRONG!! PLEASE BE MORE COURTEOUS TO OTHER LIBRARY PATRONS.”

No, I am not joking. Although my friends, male and female alike, ardently attacked the mysterious “nose” with a plethora of insults, she does make a valid point. Never EVER overspray. EVER. I mean it. People are fallible though; even I make mistakes (but to make my case, we were in close quarters and it was extremely hot). Scenteurs who like to enjoy their fragrance to the fullest extent are not afraid being noticed sometimes. There is a difference, however, between being noticed and imposing your scent on an entire room. Believe me, this article is NOT a call to arms for all you “bros” to empty a can and a half of body spray on yourselves every morning. Everything in moderation my friend. If you don't know what that word means, go for 3 sprays (or less) of fragrance. As for body sprays … stay tuned next week."

I was wearing Zino by Davidoff (great scent)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcomet View Post
    Everything in moderation my friend. If you don't know what that word means, go for 3 sprays (or less) of fragrance.
    I couldn't agree more. I never apply more than 2 sprays. Fragrance should be a whisper not a trumpet.

Quote Originally Posted by bossanova_boy View Post
    Once, in 1995, I wore Versus by Versace to work. I liked it, my friends liked it, I thought all was good in the world. Then, in the copy room, a young woman asked, "Is that your aftershave?! My goodness, you stink!" Several other women in the room snickered. I was mortified. The next day I switched to Chanel Pour Monsieur as an office fragrance and received nothing but compliments. The afore mentioned young woman said, "Now that's more like it." I thought she was very rude, and I sometimes still enjoy Versus--just not at work.
    Versus is really good...the one in the dark black/purple colored bottle. I owned it, but it had this colognish vibe to it that got to me. I thought the quality lacked a bit especially compared to my niche scents, so I got rid of it, but none the less, it's one of the better designer scents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redcomet View Post
    I write a weekly fragrance column for my school paper.
    You should post your weekly column on basenotes now and then....would be a interesting read.

I decided to wear Terre D'Hermes earlier this week for the first time, before going to work out. I applied two sprays on on wrists and gently pressed both wrists together. As I walk out into the living room, one of my roomates quickly asks "what's that smell? it smells like flool cleaner" and I reply "oh uh... it's probably my fragrance" to his horror he asks "oh dude?! why would you ever want to smell like that? it's horrible"

What a way to start off Terre huh? Guess even two sprays are too much. Should've gone with one. It also happened to be the first reaction I ever recieved about a fragrance I've worn.

heh

Quote Originally Posted by Mandrake9072 View Post
    I decided to wear Terre D'Hermes earlier this week for the first time, before going to work out. I applied two sprays on on wrists and gently pressed both wrists together. As I walk out into the living room, one of my roomates quickly asks "what's that smell? it smells like flool cleaner" and I reply "oh uh... it's probably my fragrance" to his horror he asks "oh dude?! why would you ever want to smell like that? it's horrible"

What a way to start off Terre huh? Guess even two sprays are too much. Should've gone with one. It also happened to be the first reaction I ever recieved about a fragrance I've worn.

heh
    Terre D'Hermes can easily smell floor cleaner-ish (due to the citrus) if it's too concentrated. Two sprays on the wrist was concentrating the juice too much. Try one or two on the chest/lower neck, and then dab your wrists on wherever you sprayed. Spraying technique is important with Terre.
    Currently digging: Le Labo Rose 31 and Oud oils.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    Terre D'Hermes can easily smell floor cleaner-ish (due to the citrus) if it's too concentrated. Two sprays on the wrist was concentrating the juice too much. Try one or two on the chest/lower neck, and then dab your wrists on wherever you sprayed. Spraying technique is important with Terre.
    Thanks for the helpful info mate! I'll be sure to try that next time I unleash Terre

"It smells like something crawled up your ass and died there."

"Thanks. My cell phone's not working and I needed another way to annoy you."

Quote Originally Posted by Mandrake9072 View Post
    Thanks for the helpful info mate! I'll be sure to try that next time I unleash Terre
    I do 1 spray on the chest. Maybe one spray on wrist, too and rub wrists together if it is cold where I am going. It has plenty of sillage and the citrus notes will fade to the Cedar pretty quickly.

While I love it, my wife has trouble with Cedar, so I never wear it just hanging about.
    ===

Sorry to hijack this thread but:

write a weekly fragrance column for my school paper and 1 week I had an experience I just had to mention in it:

http://cornellsun.com/node/25990

"While diligently cramming at the library one night, I stood up, stretched and saw a piece of paper on the floor next to my chair.

Apparently, the person behind me left a note before she got up. It read: “YOUR COLOGNE IS TOO STRONG!! PLEASE BE MORE COURTEOUS TO OTHER LIBRARY PATRONS.”
    Oh my god!!! I've been following your columns on the Sun, but I never figured you'd be on Basenotes!
    Which library was that, by the way? I'm typing in Olin right now...

Anyway, back to the subject of the thread:

"You smell like an old woman's leather panties" - my friend on Dzing.

Wore Yatagan Today. This comment is from wife:

Me: Offer wrist to her to sniff
    Her: (Makes awful face): Eaugh! Yuck! That thing smells terrible ...
    (5 mins later)
    Me (offering wrist): It's settled down, smells dry and vegetal. Try it again.
    Her: (Same face) Yuck! This smells like Church!
    Me: Your Church smells like this? (sniffs wrist curiously ... grass, dirt ...)
    (later as she is about to leave)
    Her (goodbye kiss): Please don't make me smell that. Its smells all incense-y.

I guess she didn't like it ... I really don't see the deal, it is really nice . . .
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 13th February 2008 at 12:31 PM.
    ===

Never got a bad comment about what I´m wearing...just one time my friends said "You got to much cologne on you" (It was Terre d´Hermés). Also VIW by Creed got a good sillage (don´t over spray).

I hope everybody takes a shower before using a fragrance. Choose the right fragrance to a right situation or time (hot weather, cold weather, office or outside...take care, maybe your sweat or skin chemisty is not matching with the fragrance...it´s sad, when you love this fragrance). Just test, test, test!!!

Receiving a private message from you, calling me a moron.

Thumbs up Re: Worst Comment (or reaction)Ever Received?

Quote Originally Posted by P-Natra View Post
    Never got a bad comment about what I´m wearing...just one time my friends said "You got to much cologne on you" (It was Terre d´Hermés). Also VIW by Creed got a good sillage (don´t over spray).

I hope everybody takes a shower before using a fragrance. Choose the right fragrance to a right situation or time (hot weather, cold weather, office or outside...take care, maybe your sweat or skin chemisty is not matching with the fragrance...it´s sad, when you love this fragrance). Just test, test, test!!!
    Great advice---especially the part about testing on your own skin.
    Also, I would submit this thread as evidence to all those who say that Terre d'Hermes has wimpy longevity and sillage. It's obviously easy to overapply.

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    Great advice---especially the part about testing on your own skin.
    Also, I would submit this thread as evidence to all those who say that Terre d'Hermes has wimpy longevity and sillage. It's obviously easy to overapply.
    Issue I have had is that initially Cedar doesn't have much sillage until the resins in the oil warm up - then WHAMMO - if you have applied too much. You will know if when standing still birds start perching on your head and you sprout leaves/needles.
    ===

"You smell like a taxi cab driver", "It smells like incense in here", "Why does it smell like play-doh up here?"
    In response to my wearing Ambre Sultan.
    I love the scent, however many unexperienced (college aged) folks don't. Oh well, my parents and other scent-conscious friends love it. Probably the most controversial scent I own.
    Last edited by runstile; 13th February 2008 at 05:56 PM.

Yeah, I'm still trying to get all the weeds and bird poop out of my hair! Maybe I should go talk to M. Ellena.
    And another thing: Maybe we should all hire a reasonably priced escort to spray Deep Woods Off on herself and walk down Fifth Avenue. Do you think she would get a single "cheap whore" or "bug spray" comment? I doubt it.

I (unwisely) sprayed 4 sprays of M7 before entering a very smoky bar. The bartender from a distance of about 2.5 feet wrinkled her nose and said "somebody stinks." I had just recently bought it and did not realize the strength of it.

Oddly, I got a wrinkled nose reaction from a co worker wearing Bvlgari Aqva. I had considered this one to be pretty safe and somewhat difficult to overapply.

nice thread....its amazing how, rive gauche, Kouros, Gucci PH, A*ngel got thrashed badly...considering people here in basenotes adore these (i personally do...kouros doesnt smell like poop to me...it smells like ash, incense, sandalwood burning on camphor lamps in a long forgotten temple in india..i guess all BN folks love the science behind every scent...adore the creativity..and the way it makes each one of us feel. the people who comment otherwise are the folks who really dunno anything about colonges...i think theres a huge difference as to wht ohers smell on you for a second and how tht very scent grows on you with every hour...for me, its just aromatherapy...scents just influence me to a mood..which is just so personal...its very rare to see ppl wearing A*ngel everyday...one has to be in that mood...and that is true to all the ppl who pass on these comments...

hell- i like to overapply photo sometimes...its so over powering tht i'd faint...but, i like it...
    Last edited by jenson; 13th February 2008 at 09:34 PM.

Just a couple of days ago a female friend urged me to never ever wear that scent again. She was talking about Blenheim Bouquet