Code of Conduct

Default The different Company - opinions welcome

Just received a message from my country's online perfume house that they've began selling scents of this house. I find very few reviews of these frags: I don't know if they are not widely available, or are simply not interesting, despite of the really high prices. Should someone have some more detailed information on this collection, please share it with me. Thank you.

Default Re: The different Company - opinions welcome

I've sniffed a few of these - they are well crafted but possibly a little too esoteric for regular wear. The one that has appealed to me the most is Sel de Vetiver - a perfect summer fragrance that captures the essence of grapefruit zest, sea salt and vetiver. Beautifully done. The Iris is pretty good too (but below Iris Silver Mist and l'Homme de Coeur for me). I've sniffed the others in passing and can't comment in any detail (some time ago now). I'm sure the Basenotes directory and makeupalley have plenty of reviews between them.

... I forgot Rose Poivrée - one of the most startling scents I've ever smelled. Sweat and roses. Properly dirty.

Jasmin de Nuit is my favorite. Someday I'll splurge on a really big bottle....

I had a bottle of Rose Poivree and went through half a bottle before I sold it.
    Really a daring and masculine fragrance, but I just realized that Rose is not a note that I can wear easily, but it really is a manly take on Rose. Warning: It has Civet as a note, but I thought that was the coolest part of the frag.

The only other one I have tried is Bois d'Iris. To me it is a very beautiful iris frag. I get some spice, and vetiver with a base of cedar. Iris is there for the whole ride. Longevity on me is OK but not awesome.

I hope this helps. A quality line of frags I think.

barry

Quote Originally Posted by leopoldo
    I'm sure the Basenotes directory and makeupalley have plenty of reviews between them.
    Thanks to you and to the others too
    The problem is that when this company began selling L'Artisan scents I ordered 12 samples - and it was a huge disappointment. Now I try to be more careful. And I can remember how enthusiastic reviews I had read about L'Artisan scents.
    Is this company generally more esoteric than L'Artisan?

Esoteric? I don't know. I have Jasmine de Nuit, Osmanthus, and Iris d'Bois. I have Iris Silver Mist, too, but it is totally masculine to my nose. Iris d'Bois is a tiny bit warmer, with a trace of vanilla in the dry down.

Osmanthus was my first love from TDC. It's a hard for me to describe, but it's not sweet, but rather deeply fulfilling, floral in a very un-floral way.

Samples are a minimum investment. I can recommend these three, but of course you must smell for yourself.

I have Bois d´Iris, Osmanthus, Rose poivrée and Sel de Vetiver and LOVE all of them! They are so beautifully composed, well crafted an of such an exceptional quality one can hardly find in the world of perfumery. The only ones I can´t wear are Jasmin de Nuit (lovely, but too sweet) and Bergamote (nice, but too clean IMHO), but the others are perfection in a (very nice) bottle, and not at all esoteric!

That´s how they describe themselves:

"The history of our perfumes begins with the selection of raw materials: flowers, roots, moss, leaves; A veritable quest along nature´s path. The Different Company has brought together exceptional natural raw materials, rarely used in such great amounts, to shape an olfactotry revelation of unique and alluring perfection, portraying a brand that upholds its difference."

They keep their promise!

I adore Bois d'Iris! Rose Poivrée is lovely, too.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Benjamin*

Sel de Vétiver. The moment it was on my skin I couldn't believe how it worked perfectly on me. With a grapefruit start, the cardamom and geranium blend together nicely, and then smokey earthy salty vetiver is the dry down. Simply an amazing fragrance. It was if Celine Ellena had designed this fragrance specifically for me.

And then I saw it, the paper that surrounds this 48heures 50ml bottle. It was coming loose and what is this? there's a note!

and right there, handwritten "pour Benjamin, le Sel de Vétiver et l'amour toujours, Celine"

Is this a dream? wake me up!

The Different Company (TDC), in my opinion is NOTHING like L'Artisan. I tried L'Artisan with great enthusiasm, only to be disappointed, but TDC has not disappointed. Their scents are simply sublime. They are really well crafted, and are one of the few companies that make florals accessible to me. Try them out!
    - Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    Esoteric? I don't know. I have Jasmine de Nuit, Osmanthus, and Iris d'Bois. I have Iris Silver Mist, too, but it is totally masculine to my nose. Iris d'Bois is a tiny bit warmer, with a trace of vanilla in the dry down.

Osmanthus was my first love from TDC. It's a hard for me to describe, but it's not sweet, but rather deeply fulfilling, floral in a very un-floral way.

Samples are a minimum investment. I can recommend these three, but of course you must smell for yourself.

This was my first buy as well. For whatever reason, the dry down reminds me a little like Independence. The fragrance does not last long though.

I was quite impressed with Rose Poivree, but I didn't want to splurge
    on the bottle. It was too expensive. It's worth smelling, though.

After falling in love with Rose Poivree, I purchased the set of all of their fragrances (9x10ml) and I now covet full bottles of almost all of them. Rose Poivree will always be one of my favourites, but all of the others are beautifully crafted and at the very least worth testing. The newest three are very intriguing...particularly D'Ailleurs et Fleurs...soft and orange-blossom-y and Charmes et Feuilles is also quity stunning, minty and clean. Bergamot is also noteworthy for its unique drydown. I'm going to visit their shop in Paris this spring...I may have to be restrained!

Basenotes Institution

My advice is to buy samples from Luckyscent & try them before you buy a bottle.

I have only tried Rose Poivre & liked it - although it reminded me of Rose Ikebana by Hermes. I will be buying more samples soon! Good luck.

Rose Poivree was for me, one of the few scents that stopped me in my tracks. I absolutely went crazy for it. I have tried nearly all of TDC, with the exception of the new garden trio (which I've not heard good things about, sadly).

I think the Different Company is one of our finest niche houses today. I've always felt L'Artisan was overrated and took the attention away from some of the other companies that really deserved the limelight.

That said though, I am currently wearing L'Artisan Timbuktu and I love it. But I still stand next to my word above.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkDavid
    Rose Poivree was for me, one of the few scents that stopped me in my tracks. I absolutely went crazy for it. I have tried nearly all of TDC, with the exception of the new garden trio (which I've not heard good things about, sadly).

I think the Different Company is one of our finest niche houses today. I've always felt L'Artisan was overrated and took the attention away from some of the other companies that really deserved the limelight.

That said though, I am currently wearing L'Artisan Timbuktu and I love it. But I still stand next to my word above.
    As the initiator of this thread, I should be happy that my samples from TDC have arrived. But I'm still hesitating. After 2 trials I agree, Rose Povree stopped me in my tacks, but I'm afraid in a different meanind: it turned up my stomach, I can't think of it without feeling a bit ill. A bit rose, lots of sweat. In special circumstances one might call it sexy to the extreme, but in the normal life it's just disgusting. I'm curious if my feeling will change?
    Divine Bergamot is qood for about 10 minutes, then I feel what a read in a review: the smell of a nursery home. Recently alas I had to visit one relative more times in such a home, I know what I speak.
    Osmanthus is way too feminine, though a loveable flowery scent. Thoug at the dry-down I find it a bit suffocative. Bois d'Iris seems to be the best overall. A really could, ethereal iris scent, has nothing to do with say Dior Homme. This on has nothing sweetness, is cristall-clear like a starshine in a winter night. But again, I find it too feminine.

yes bois d'iris is a showstopper as well. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy rose poivree. You're not alone. A lot of people hate this scent. I don't know anyone who is indifferent towards it. Its a love it or hate it fragrance, much like Guerlain Pamplelune.

Did you receive samples of the 3 new releases for TDC by Celine Ellena? I'm just curious as to what you think of them.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkDavid
    yes bois d'iris is a showstopper as well. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy rose poivree. You're not alone. A lot of people hate this scent. I don't know anyone who is indifferent towards it. Its a love it or hate it fragrance, much like Guerlain Pamplelune.

Did you receive samples of the 3 new releases for TDC by Celine Ellena? I'm just curious as to what you think of them.
    Unfortunately our national online fragrance carrier doesn't have the latest three scents.
    I wouldn't say I hate Rose Poivree. It didn't do any harm to me or to my family Simply it is strongly against my tastes. And I can even imagine it will change sooner or later.