Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 28 of 28
  1. #1
    MFfan310's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    3,603
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cool Underrated Bond No. 9s...

    Lately, I've been thinking about the Bond No. 9 line, as I love the concept, and the juices are usually quite exceptional.

    However, for all the Wall Streets, Fire Islands, and Chinatowns that get talked about constantly here on Basenotes, there's still a lot of other scents in the line. And many of them get ignored here, so that's why I started this thread.

    My pick for an underrated Bond No. 9 scent: the unisex Gramercy Park. One of the original Bonds, it's a smooth green scent with floral undertones and a clean feel in a Mugler Cologne sort of way (even though they don't have many similarities). The lasting power is excellent, too, especially for a green scent.

    Anyone else want to share their two cents... I mean subway tokens?
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

  2. #2
    rach2jlc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    US (KY) & Japan
    Posts
    865
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Underrated Bond No. 9s...

    Excellent topic, thanks for starting it. As much bad press as Bond gets (sometimes deservedly), it is also nice to note when they do something right.

    My pick for favorite underrated scent is West Broadway.

    Has a similar sweet/candy vibe ala Cannabis Santal and A*Men, but still holds its own in distinction and with a definite hint of class in there that makes it more wearable. Also has excellent longevity. I'm down to my last 15mls in my 100ml bottle... don't know if I'll buy another (unless I get a really good deal), but I DEFINITELY don't feel my money was wasted on it.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

  3. #3
    ifconfig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Boise
    Posts
    1,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Underrated Bond No. 9s...

    Where was this thread when I was contemplating what Bonds to get? I bought Riverside Drive and Chez Bond. West Broadway sounds great.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

  4. #4
    rach2jlc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    US (KY) & Japan
    Posts
    865
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Underrated Bond No. 9s...

    Quote Originally Posted by ifconfig
    Where was this thread when I was contemplating what Bonds to get? I bought Riverside Drive and Chez Bond. West Broadway sounds great.
    Yeah, Fred, at the time I didn't know how much you'd like Cannabis Santal and so didn't even think to push full-on for West Broadway. By no means are they clones of each other, but they do have a similar classy, refined yet mature sweetness to them (unlike the more playful A*men). But, I think you'd really like West Broadway if you can find some to try. I wish I weren't down to my last little speck or I'd send you some. It and Riverside Drive are still my favorites.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

  5. #5

    Default Re: Underrated Bond No. 9s...

    I like West Broadway as well. I think that Riverside Drive is very classy smelling. But I agree that West Broadway is not talked about alot, but is very good IMHO.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    490
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Underrated Bond No. 9s...

    I think that most of this line is underrated. Especially on this board.

    I have Riverside Drive, New Haarlem and Bleecker Street, I think all three are finely made and utterly wearable. I paid retail for Bleecker Street and I think it's worth it, as are the other two.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Underrated Bond No. 9s...

    Whoops! I think I entered the wrong thread!

    Laters...

  8. #8

    Default Re: Underrated Bond No. 9s...

    I like Bond No. 9 for their longevity and quality. I am beginning to appreciate some Creeds too. I am not on the board with an agenda for any house. If it smells good I will wear it. Could care less about Oliver Creed, or Laurice Rahme, Frederic Malle....don't care about marketing strategies, or who has been at this the longest. I smell it..if I like it, cool..if not...I move to next bottle to sniff.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 20th January 2007 at 05:35 PM.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Underrated Bond No. 9s...

    Gramercy Park has always been in my wish list. When I have recovered from my holiday expenses, I will look for a deal for a bottle of this underrated Bond No. 9.

    Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310
    My pick for an underrated Bond No. 9 scent: the unisex Gramercy Park. One of the original Bonds, it's a smooth green scent with floral undertones and a clean feel in a Mugler Cologne sort of way (even though they don't have many similarities). The lasting power is excellent, too, especially for a green scent.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Underrated Bond No. 9s...

    I would consider buying Riverside if I felt that it projected itself a little more.

    I bought West Broadway based on the tester at the shop (they use cotton balls in little glass jars). The drydown for this stuff is exceptional- in fact, it has one of the best I know. However (and sadly for me), the opening is night-and-day different from the drydown. I just put some on before I head to the bar, and it opens with gummy-bears. Seriously. Most of the reason that I'm posting here on BN is to bide my time until that sugary confection dissipates and I'm left with the better midnotes. I'm still glad that I bought it, but damn, I wish I had sprayed some fresh stuff into the tester jar before I payed.


    Bleecker St. is nice (and it gets RAVE reviews from everyone who approaches the tester), but I always feel like it has a lot in common with the drydown of Visit, which I already own. I kind of like nuits de noho as well, but i suspect that the topnotes would turn me off.


    -ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben


    [url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    305
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Underrated Bond No. 9s...

    For me, I've always loved NOUVEAU BOWERY. I've heard many negative things about this, but I've always been a lover of lime in fragrances and this one, for me, is one lime that doesn't disappoint or fade. I love the basil as well.

  12. #12
    Lightninrod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA CSA
    Posts
    2,460
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Underrated Bond No. 9s...

    A very generous Bn'r gave me a sample of New Harlem recently . My first use of one and it's dry-down is nice. Very A*Men-like.

    An East Indian woman wears Bond at our office; a LOT of Bond and she smell's wonderful but I forget which one specifically .


    Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

    "The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

  13. #13
    Tuner_Watson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    326
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Underrated Bond No. 9s...

    I have yet to try one that I felt was underrated.

  14. #14
    rach2jlc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    US (KY) & Japan
    Posts
    865
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Underrated Bond No. 9s...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuner_Watson
    I have yet to try one that I felt was underrated.
    Could you be more specific? I mean, which ones did you try? What about them didn't you like? I'm just asking because I'm trying to figure out if much of the distaste with Bond comes from the order of having tried them.

    For example, if I had started with scents like Great Jones, Little Italy, or The Hamptons (all of which I found rather lackluster) instead of West Broadway, New Haarlem, Nuits de Noho, or Riverside Drive (all of which I find pretty great), I'd probably also have a fairly negative view of Bond as well. I was lucky in my early Bond samplers, I guess... or I had recommendations from some trusted noses (unfortunately, none of which speak English, or I'd get them to join us here!)
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 21st January 2007 at 02:10 AM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

  15. #15
    zztopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    the Dirty South
    Posts
    6,632
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Underrated Bond No. 9s...

    Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc
    For example, if I had started with scents like Great Jones, Little Italy, or The Hamptons (all of which I found rather lackluster) instead of West Broadway, New Haarlem, Nuits de Noho, or Riverside Drive (all of which I find pretty great), I'd probably also have a fairly negative view of Bond as well.
    Although I like and own New Haarlem, it is slammed for being too similar to Rochas Man (which I haven't tried)
    -

  16. #16
    rach2jlc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    US (KY) & Japan
    Posts
    865
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Underrated Bond No. 9s...

    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    Although I like and own New Haarlem, it is slammed for being too similar to Rochas Man (which I haven't tried)
    I've owned New Haarlem and tried Rochas Man and never really made that connection. Maybe they're in the same universe, but to be honest, I feel it is sort of like slamming a Bentley because it takes the same kind of gasoline as a Subaru. Even for Bond scents that I found boring or like other fragrances (for example, Great Jones reminded me a lot of Quorum), nevertheless they still had a certain refinement lacking in the cheaper, mass market version. Not enough to warrant the price difference, of course, but anyway...
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 21st January 2007 at 02:13 AM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

  17. #17
    Tuner_Watson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    326
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Underrated Bond No. 9s...

    Sorry, I was being a little flippant. I think I tried most of their original ones about three years ago at their Madison Avenue shop near Barneys. Some of them seemed nice, but 15 minutes later every single one had gone down hill. My impression was that they were not made to the standards that the staff of the shop had proclaimed. I remember being put off because the staff kept insisting that I needed to buy something because then I would be able to impress the proprietor of my local perfume shop with the fact that I owned one of the fabulous and exclusive Bond No. 9 fragrances.

    Within the last few months I have sampled, I think, most of the ones you name, rach2jlc. None of them made much of an impression, except for New Haarlem, which I would definitely consider buying if I wanted to smell like one of those Coffee Nips candies. New Haarlem struck me as a very elegant execution of the Coffee Nips candy concept, which is not a bad thing, just not for me.

  18. #18
    rach2jlc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    US (KY) & Japan
    Posts
    865
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Underrated Bond No. 9s...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuner_Watson
    My impression was that they were not made to the standards that the staff of the shop had proclaimed. I remember being put off because the staff kept insisting that I needed to buy something because then I would be able to impress the proprietor of my local perfume shop with the fact that I owned one of the fabulous and exclusive Bond No. 9 fragrances.
    Fair enough. Self-created snobbery, which we all know is rampant with "niche" brands, really turns me off as well. Luckily, my experience with Bond and most niche brands was outside of the mainstream (first trying them in Japan, with some close friends who had boutiques, then further through fellow Bnoters), so in most cases I've been spared the PR Gestapo. Perhaps much of my distaste with Creed is similar to yours with Bond; unfortunately some early encounters at Neimans and the like with buyers/sellers/Sales Associates of Creed who tried to make me swallow the hype totally turned me off. I didn't want to be one of "those people"... I just wanted to smell good!
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 21st January 2007 at 02:28 AM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

  19. #19
    zztopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    the Dirty South
    Posts
    6,632
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Underrated Bond No. 9s...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuner_Watson
    I remember being put off because the staff kept insisting that I needed to buy something because then I would be able to impress the proprietor of my local perfume shop with the fact that I owned one of the fabulous and exclusive Bond No. 9 fragrances.
    LOL are you serious ? Thats the most distasteful thing i have heard in perfumery !
    -

  20. #20
    Tuner_Watson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    326
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Underrated Bond No. 9s...

    That's pretty much what they said, and I interpreted it as a silly appeal to snobbery. But maybe some context is in order. I'm sure it came up on conversation where I usually shopped, a place that moves a lot of Creed in this area, and it was around the time Laurice Rahme had launched Bond. I suppose they were hoping to enlist established Creed retailers to carry the line, and thought I might become a missionary. It could even have been Laurice Rahme whom I was talking to, and it's possible she was subject to a noncompete agreement for a time after leaving Creed and could not initiate contact with their retailers.

  21. #21

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    305
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Underrated Bond No. 9s...

    In 2003, the day Bond set up half of the CREED boutique on Madison Avenue, I happened to stop by. Smelled many, walked out with Riverside Drive. I bought it the day it came out, having heard nothing about this line at all. I was going in for CREED and walked out with a Bond.

    Well, inside the boutique that day, the mood was "this is going to be really special, limited quantities, very hard to get, etc."

    And now, I don't find that to be the case at all. And while I do in fact love many of the Bonds, I'm beginning to see them in many stores that, by all rights, probably should not be selling them. I don't find that their exclusive anymore. I find they're being shoved down people's throats, frankly.

    And whatever, I mean business is business. But I like owning something that no one else has and thats no longer the case.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Underrated Bond No. 9s...

    MarkDavid..based on your argument of Bond pushing their stuff on people and being sold in stores that shouldn't...why do you own Creed then? Their stuff is more commonly found online and in stores than Bond IMHO. Neither of these houses are exclusive in that regard to me. Creed is everywhere, even in some Kmart stores. I don't think I have seen a Bond there yet.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Underrated Bond No. 9s...

    Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc
    Could you be more specific? I mean, which ones did you try? What about them didn't you like? I'm just asking because I'm trying to figure out if much of the distaste with Bond comes from the order of having tried them.

    For example, if I had started with scents like Great Jones, Little Italy, or The Hamptons (all of which I found rather lackluster) instead of West Broadway, New Haarlem, Nuits de Noho, or Riverside Drive (all of which I find pretty great), I'd probably also have a fairly negative view of Bond as well. I was lucky in my early Bond samplers, I guess... or I had recommendations from some trusted noses (unfortunately, none of which speak English, or I'd get them to join us here!)
    I've tried most of them, and actually in the reverse order that you tried them. Out of all of them, Wall Street is my favorite. It's similar to Creed's Imperial, but just different enough to stand on its own, IMO. New Haarlem is one I can also appreciate, but due to the generosity of a Basenoter, I just recently had the chance to compare New Haarlem to Rochas Man, and they are very similar. I like Rochas Man better actually, because it's not a syrupy sweet throughout, it loses some of its sweetness as the coffee (mocha, latte?) emerges. New Haarlem stays too sweet too long for my tastes. It makes sense that they'd smell the same, since they were made by the same perfumer (Roucel).

    Otherwise, I was very disappointed with all the other Bond scents. West Broadway was much too sweet, and then generic, ditto Bleecker Street; Scent of Peace smelled like grape kool-aid; and in my mind, too many of the others are too derivative of other fragrances to warrant their prices.

  24. #24

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    305
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Underrated Bond No. 9s...

    What KMarts are selling CREED?

    I never bought CREED because of exclusivity.

    Online retailing is a bit different. Everything can be found online within 3 seconds, regardless of how exclusive it is.

    I don't know, I guess it just irritated me b/c I now see that it was merely a ploy to get me to purchase Riverside Drive that day - opening day sales tactics I suppose.

    Though in comparison, I will always hold CREED on a higher plane than Bond.

  25. #25
    zztopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    the Dirty South
    Posts
    6,632
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Underrated Bond No. 9s...

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkDavid
    What KMarts are selling CREED?
    Oh wow really? Can someone get me some Acier Aluminium and Vetiver '48 from there ?

    A few friends just bought various Bond no. 9s on Ebay for $60-$70. I got my New Haarlem off Ebay too ($75) and it smells great. They are slowly but surely increasing in number - as the house of Bond no. 9 ages, old stock will creep online with more regularity.
    -

  26. #26

    Default Re: Underrated Bond No. 9s...

    I like Creed and Bond, and hold both in high regard, but I guess if you are lookin' for a reason not to like something you can always find justification.

    Mark David..you never bought Creed for their exclusivity? But you say you like to buy scents for their exclusivity? I am confused.
    Oh well....not arguing...just seems like you are contradicting yourself. If you don't like Bond for whatever reason, that is cool. But your argument that Bonds are no longer exclusive is a weak one at best. And you have 8 Creeds in your drobe.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 21st January 2007 at 07:39 PM.

  27. #27

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    305
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Underrated Bond No. 9s...

    yes, justification was never very difficult for me to find. Lol.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Underrated Bond No. 9s...

    Well at least you have come clean. thanks for the clarification.

Similar Threads

  1. Bond...
    By mttafire in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 15th February 2008, 08:03 PM
  2. New: Bond ní9 Chinatown.
    By cedriceccentric in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 6th August 2006, 10:59 PM
  3. 300 samples/proceeds to Red Cross, need feedback!
    By The Bark in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 6th September 2005, 03:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •