Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default The Great Layering Challenge (Freestyle) - Oriental

OK, I apologise if this is one layering thread too far but I believe there is a place for it.

From the feedback (and lack of), that I am receiving it seems that many of you potential layer-ers are unwilling to be limited to the structure of one or two perfumes to explore at any one time. Or are unable / unwilling to source decants or samples of the chosen perfumes in order to participate. I am disappointed but offer this alternative:

You pick the perfume (oriental) that you wish to explore / experiment with and share with us any potential or actual crazy combos you think of involving this perfume. Then report back on the results. Your only restriction is that your combo MUST include at least ONE oriental perfume. Simple!

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Default Re: The Great Layering Challenge (Freestyle) - Oriental

Is Rochas Femme considered oriental?!
    If it is I have it layered with Mure et Musc Extreme right now & OMFG!!! I'm in L-O-V-E!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tinker424
    Is Rochas Femme considered oriental?!
    If it is I have it layered with Mure et Musc Extreme right now & OMFG!!! I'm in L-O-V-E!
    'Fraid not my dear. Rochas Femme is categorised as a fruity Chypre like Guerlain Mitsouko. I have to say though, that your combo sounds mouthwateringly delicious but also very sexy and feminine! It sounds like a keeper.

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Well, MoonDeva, count me in. I was a little sad to see that the latest challenge included none of the perfumes in my wardrobe, but I'm an oriental diehard, and can't wait to see what will happen when I layer a few of my favorites. (By the way, Narcisse Noir and Arabie? HEAVEN. I believe this combination was originated by rtamara, but it is very much worth trying.)

Favorite Notes:
    Rose, Apricot, Violet, Leather, Iris, Blackberry, Saffron, Musk, Incense

two with Nu:

Nu on the beach (Tommy Bahama and Nu) very tropical, more Tommy than Yves, but summer evening pretty.

Femme Nue: This is hot...the best of both worlds...pure over the top sexy, think fireplace and brandy (Thanks Tinker for the Femme idea!) I swear you can smell the crackling fire ...all those wood notes and incense mixed with the fruity "eve-like" qualities of Femme! I wish I found this years ago

I like this thread a lot. I didn't like the idea of being restricted to particular perfumes (none of which I've owned).

Today's layering! My two favorite Muscs...

Musc Ravageur (definitely an oriental)
    and Muscs Koublai Khan.

I smell heavenly, rich, and caramel/honey/vanilla-like. Gosh, I am so much in love with these two that it's ridiculous! I'm getting ready to go out so we'll see what my friends say.

ooh...i'll definitely being doing a layering tomorrow (too late right now - plus i'm too tired to appreciate anything nice at the moment!! lol my brain isn't working at all!! i'm surprised i haven't made any spelling mistakes yet!)

Ok, moondeva, I got all layered up and now I am confused as to where to put the results. You have three threads going on this and the first one says, "see you there". So let's say I have two orientals layered. Now, Where am I supposed to post the results? LOL

I don't think it's one layering challenge too many, Moondeva. On the contrary, a freestyle oriental layering challenge is a fun idea. Furthermore, you help keep this board active and interesting. I wanted to participate in the Tabu/Samsara one, but I don't own either scent. I actually went to look for Tabu, and checked two drugstores near me, but neither one had it.

Anyway, freestyle is more for me, and I will definitely post back soon!

Edit: Ok, I'm back. I decided to layer Youth Dew over my SOTD, Armani Code. It totally obliterated the Code, however when I re-spritzed Code over the ONE drop of Youth Dew bath oil I applied to my wrists, it turned out to be a winning combination. The Code freshened and lightened up the Youth Dew, making more diffuse and wearable (for me), and Youth Dew is giving Code some serious ballast and mystique. I'm liking it. Hubby says: "Phew! Shtinky!" LOL! It's certainly potent!

Notes for both fragrances (from Osmoz):

Armani Code
    Top note: Bitter Orange, Italian Orange, Sambac Jasmine
    Middle note: Orange Blossom, Absolute, Sambac Jasmine
    Base note: Vanilla, Honey

[I thought Code was supposed to have a ginger note as well?]

Youth Dew
    Top note: Orange, Bergamot, Peach, Aldehydes
    Middle note: Clove, Rose, Ylang-Ylang, Cinnamom
    Base note: Amber, Tolu, Patchouli, Peru Balsam
    Last edited by sherrie11; 21st January 2007 at 08:40 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TDDanae
    Ok, moondeva, I got all layered up and now I am confused as to where to put the results. You have three threads going on this and the first one says, "see you there". So let's say I have two orientals layered. Now, Where am I supposed to post the results? LOL
    RLOL! Oh, TDDanae, You are incorrigable!

OK, Here goes:

• If your combo included either Dana Tabu or Guerlain Samsara as primary oriental inspiration then post to the GLC #1 thread.
    • If your combo included either DK Black Cashmere or CK Obsession as primary oriental inspiration then post to the GLC #1b thread.
    • If your combo included none of the aforementioned perfumes as primary oriental inspiration but does contain at least one oriental then post to this thread.
    There you go... simple!

Smile Re: The Great Layering Challenge (Freestyle) - Oriental

Ok, here goes. If I get it wrong just remember that my IQ is 63 and I'm having a rough day. Be kind.
    I combined Boucheron and Omnia and was very pleasantly surprised. It worked for me because I felt the Boucheron was a little heavy and the Omnia seemed to need a little more depth, so the two together worked, for me. No compliments here because all I have seen today is my husband and the Boucheron has some oakmoss which I thought the Omnia might tone down, but didn't.

The dominating notes: Very rich and complicated spicy vanilla. For me, the two perfumes blended beautifully.
    It worked out much better than I thought it would. As I said earlier, I was surprised how good it did work and I would definitely do it again.

Boucheron top notes: Calabrian bitter orange, Sicilain tangerine, apricot, Persian galbanum, African tagetes, Spanish basilica.
    Heart notes: Morrocan orange blossom, Grasse tuberose, Morrican jasmine, Auvergne narcissus, British broom, Madagascar ylang-ylang.
    Bottom notes: Mysore sandalwood, amber, Indian Ocean vanilla, South American tonka bean, & oakmoss.

Omnia notes: Will post another time.
    Last edited by TDDanae; 21st January 2007 at 10:17 PM.

Blog Entries

Ok, here goes. If I get it wrong just remember that my IQ is 63 and I'm having a rough day. Be kind.
    I combined Boucheron and Omnia and was very pleasantly surprised. It worked for me because I felt the Boucheron was a little heavy and the Omnia seemed to need a little more depth, so the two together worked, for me. No compliments here because all I have seen today is my husband and the Boucheron has some oakmoss which I thought the Omnia might tone down, but didn't.

The dominating notes: Very rich and complicated spicy vanilla. For me, the two perfumes blended beautifully.
    It worked out much better than I thought it would. As I said earlier, I was surprised how good it did work and I would definitely do it again.

Boucheron top notes: Calabrian bitter orange, Sicilain tangerine, apricot, Persian galbanum, African tagetes, Spanish basilica.
    Heart notes: Morrocan orange blossom, Grasse tuberose, Morrican jasmine, Auvergne narcissus, British broom, Madagascar ylang-ylang.
    Bottom notes: Mysore sandalwood, amber, Indian Ocean vanilla, South American tonka bean, & oakmoss.

Omnia notes: Will post another time.
    Thank you TDDanae, I am looking forward to hearing more about this combo. Unfortunately, Omnia holds negative connotations for me, so I do not have it (haven't sampled it either). But I can imagine that the soft white chocolate and spice along with subtle tea notes would work very well with the classic ambery floriental majesty of Boucheron for women.

Mmmm, I am thinking that Boucheron + Tea 4 Two layered together over TBS Cocoa Body Butter (soft chocolatey musk) or Palmers Cocoa body butter (soft citrus and sweet white chocolate) would make a similarly gorgeous combo...

:toppie:

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    RLOL! Oh, TDDanae, You are incorrigable!

OK, Here goes:
    • If your combo included either Dana Tabu or Guerlain Samsara as primary oriental inspiration then post to the GLC #1 thread.
    • If your combo included either DK Black Cashmere or CK Obsession as primary oriental inspiration then post to the GLC #1b thread.
    • If your combo included none of the aforementioned perfumes as primary oriental inspiration but does contain at least one oriental then post to this thread.
    There you go... simple!
    OK , then I'm in the wrong spot because I'm rocking Obsession parfum & Imperial Opoponax by Les Nereides!

Thumbs up Re: The Great Layering Challenge (Freestyle) - Oriental

Notes for Omnia which is a wooded oriental:
    Cardamom, spices, ginger, pepper
    Sweet Mandarin, Saffron, Masala Tea or Indian tea spiked with nutmeg, cinnamom, clove, almond
    Honeyed vanilla, white chocolate, sandalwood.
    Last edited by TDDanae; 22nd January 2007 at 12:51 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tinker424
    OK , then I'm in the wrong spot because I'm rocking Obsession parfum & Imperial Opoponax by Les Nereides!
    Thank you, tinker424. I am eagerly awaiting your report / views posted on the DK Black Cashmere or CK Obsession GLC #1b thread.

I repeated the Nu/Femme combination///it's still divine.

I'm learning that when layering it is good to put two heavy hitters together..they blend better and don't overwhelm each other

Quote Originally Posted by Zibeline
    I repeated the Nu/Femme combination///it's still divine.

I'm learning that when layering it is good to put two heavy hitters together..they blend better and don't overwhelm each other
    I'm definitely giving your combo a try this week ! Sounds so good!!!

Gloria by Cacharel, a fresh oriental + Prada, a woody oriental = Wonderful!

Notes for Gloria: Vanilla, Musk, Amaretto
    Bittersweet Italian Almond Liquor
    Ambergris, Bulgarian Rose, Hibiscus

Notes for Prada: Italian Bergamot oil, Rose absolute, Orange oil, Mandarin flower, Mimosa India,
    Patchouli oil, Sandalwood oil, Vanilla absolute,
    Schinus, ABS LMR, Peru Balsam, Labdanum, Resinoid LMR, Tonka Bean, Musk

Gloria is such a mild almond liquor that I thought it might be nice to add to it some wood by using Prada. And I thought the Prada might like a little lift from the Amaretto. So soft woods and Amaretto dominated, but many notes could be detected. As far as compliments, I have not been around anyone yet so I can only say that my dogs were a little suspicious. It did turn out very nice and I would do it again, yes!
    Last edited by TDDanae; 22nd January 2007 at 04:20 PM.

dear moondeva,

help! i'm scared of layering. i bought tabu, unsniffed, and i keep looking at it, going...can i do this?

i wasn't scared when i tried quarry's orange blossom and cabochard combo, but when it comes to two "heavy" scents being layered together i just think....too much! no!

i promised you i would try tabac blond with something more leathery (cabochard, i think you suggested - maybe i'll do black cashmere to fit into that thread) but i need some layering support. please tell me - what is so darn good about layering?

signed,

scared of layering
    Seeking: woods patchouli fresh tuberose

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by quinpus
    dear moondeva,

help! i'm scared of layering. i bought tabu, unsniffed, and i keep looking at it, going...can i do this?

i wasn't scared when i tried quarry's orange blossom and cabochard combo, but when it comes to two "heavy" scents being layered together i just think....too much! no!

i promised you i would try tabac blond with something more leathery (cabochard, i think you suggested - maybe i'll do black cashmere to fit into that thread) but i need some layering support. please tell me - what is so darn good about layering?

signed,

scared of layering
    Oh my...

I have pondered long and deep, and sort guidance from the wise ones inorder to answer your question well. They are still to get back to me... In the mean time here are my views / beliefs which I hope will help you.

The only thing you have to fear is fear itself.

Many fear to layer, like they fear to love. They fear the pain, hurt, rejection of self, if they 'choose' wrongly. Many do not consider the bountiful wonders that can be obtained, the joy, the experiences, the blessings that can be discovered and feed the soul more than 'safety' ever did - worth the price of the possible pain.

This is sad. Even the very act of giving birth, one of the most miraculous events in any human's life is riven with pain and the potentiallity of loss - but how sweet the satisfaction when it is achieved.

Layering is not about right or wrong, or an act with a final correct result. It is a process of discovery and adventure; another way of exploring yourself and tastes and of expressing your unique individuality through the most instinctive human sense of all - scent.

But most importantly, why do we bother to layer at all?

Because it's FUN!!!

Go forth my child, and be as a child, first crawl before you walk, and walk before you run... Try the Tabu alone, just a dab - see how it goes. Then when you are ready try it layered with something light like orange blossom, citrus, or a light floral. Again, take your time - savour how the different combos meld, develop, play out upon your skin and wallow in your instinctive loves and hates, likes and dislikes that emerge. Finally, if and when you are ready, and only then - you can try the heavier leather / Tabu combo. May be you will find it less traumatic if you layer them side by side rather than one atop the other. Or may be it would ease your conscience if you attempt the heavy combo 1/2 or one hour before your night time bath?

Or be wise enough to totally disregard these ramblings and do what works for you!

I would just like to add my two cents worth to quinpus. How can you go wrong? The worse thing that can happen is that you go in and wash it off. Or maybe the mixture will blow off your arm, no, not really, disregard that last one. There shouldn't be anything toxic. It's fun, and if we do happen across a masterpiece we can become rich and famous, Ha, ha, ha.

thanks, guys. i know - what a wuss. i never actually thought about putting them on different places. i figured it wouldn't have the right effect.

and you're right - i can try it at home, and if i hate it, it's just me, my BF and the kitty that are the only victims.

i'm trying to train my nose, so i guess i was also worried about confusing it. but i should have more confidence! my nose is smart!

...i will take the plunge tonight!...
    Seeking: woods patchouli fresh tuberose

I love the smell of wood and bought Gucci EDP unsniffed a while back. I didn't think anything could be too woody for me, but this is.
    Gucci EDP Notes: Vanilla absolute, heliotrope, cistus, orris, thyme, orange blossom, cumin, musk (Where's all the wood?)
    So I mixed it today with Carlos Santana. Notes: neroli flower, California pear skin, cassis, coconut water, freesia, Japanese plum, calla lily accord, iris, chocolate, musk, sandalwood

I finally gave my Gucci EDP away!

I love the smell of wood and bought Gucci EDP unsniffed a while back. I didn't think anything could be too woody for me, but this is.
    Gucci EDP Notes: Vanilla absolute, heliotrope, cistus, orris, thyme, orange blossom, cumin, musk (Where's all the wood?)

I finally gave my Gucci EDP away!
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! I was afraid there was something wrong with brand new bottle! Yuck, Gucci Eau de Pencil is what it should be called

For the "freestyle" challenge, I (previously) mixed l'elephant and Amarige. I posted about it somewhere but be darned if I can remember where!

It was a very nice match l'elephant supplied the spice and Amarige supplied a touch of honey. I liked it!!

Next, I would like to layer something with Coco. I've never seen any experiments for this one so any suggestions?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Magnolia
    [...]Next, I would like to layer something with Coco. I've never seen any experiments for this one so any suggestions?
    Chanel Coco
    Top Notes: Angelica, Mimosa, Frangipani, Mandarin
    Middle Notes: Cascarilla, Orange Flower, Bulgarian Rose, Jasmine
    Base Notes: Labdanum, Ambrette Seed, Opopanax, Benzoin, Tonka, Vanilla

Chanel Coco + Chloe Narcisse
    Chanel Coco + Etro Etra
    Chanel Coco + Guerlain Champs-Elysees
    Chanel Coco + Caron Farnesiana
    Chanel Coco + Fendi Donna (Coco amped! Sexy leather with attitude)
    Chanel Coco + Ava Luxe Kretek
    Chanel Coco + Comme des Garcons EDP
    Chanel Coco + Etro Palais Jamais
    Chanel Coco + TBS Amorito (adds chocolate and extra jasmine)
    Chanel Coco + Serge Lutens Borneo 1834
    Chanel Coco + Jo Malone Orange Blossom (fresher, lighter)
    Chanel Coco + L'Artisan Voleur de Roses (sexy)
    Chanel Coco + Ava Luxe Golden Amber (luxe blend)
    Chanel Coco + Lorenzo Villoresi Musk
    Chanel Coco + TBS Satsuma
    Chanel Coco + Hermes Bel Ami
    Chanel Coco + Caron Tabac Blond
    Chanel Coco + Dior Dior Addict
    Chanel Coco + Ava Luxe Rasa
    Chanel Coco + Serge Lutens Musc Koublai Khan
    Chanel Coco + Yves Rocher Neonatura Cocoon
    Chanel Coco + TBS Woody Sandalwood
    Chanel Coco + Estee Lauder Knowing
    Chanel Coco + Royal Secret Concentree
    Chanel Coco + Ava Luxe Chypre Noir
    Chanel Coco + Givenchy Amarige
    Chanel Coco + Chopard Casmir (tonka bean deluxe)
    Chanel Coco + Serge Lutens Daim Blond
    Chanel Coco + TBS White Musk
    Chanel Coco + Ava Luxe Golden Amber
    Chanel Coco + Lush Soft Coeur (used as solid perfume)
    Chanel Coco + Estee Lauder Dazzling Gold

Loved your last post on Coco+Xfrag moondeva!
    I will be trying out a lot of those combos these days and will get back here to post mini-flashreviews.
    One question: You were talking about the CocoEDT or the EDP?

Wink Re: The Great Layering Challenge (Freestyle) - Oriental

ok i like to experiment with perfumes (to the horror of my bf sometimes;-)) and have successfully used Philosykos and YSL NU...actually Philosykos with many other perfumes;-) and i LOVE it!:-)
    Last edited by StellaG; 24th January 2007 at 06:05 PM.
    To fear love is to fear life, and those who fear life are already three parts dead.
    Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970),

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux
    Loved your last post on Coco+Xfrag moondeva!
    I will be trying out a lot of those combos these days and will get back here to post mini-flashreviews.
    One question: You were talking about the CocoEDT or the EDP?
    Thank you, castorpollux! *mwah*

I only have Chanel Coco EDP but I am pretty sure the EDT would work as well.

I've also layered Coco EdP with Cacharel's Anais Anais, and have gotten quite a few compliments on the pairing.

Favorite Notes:
    Rose, Apricot, Violet, Leather, Iris, Blackberry, Saffron, Musk, Incense

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StellaG
    ok i like to experiment with perfumes (to the horror of my bf sometimes;-)) and have successfully used Philosykos and YSL NU...actually Philosykos with many other perfumes;-) and i LOVE it!:-)
    Welcome to Basenotes, StellaG! :wave:

Yay, another mix & matcher like me! :bounce: Come right on in and pull up a chair - you are truly welcome here...

I can definitely see YSL NU EDP + Diptyque Philosykos working really well together. In fact I have a feeling that YSL NU EDP would really zing coupled with fresh fig. I am not so sure about the YSL NU EDT as I haven't tried that yet. I have heard / read that it is more floral and less woody spiced than the EDP - so if you have that do let us know how it works.

A few other YSL NU EDP + (Fig) combos to try:

YSL NU EDP + Jo Malone Wild Fig & Cassis
    YSL NU EDP + Ava Luxe Wild Black Fig
    YSL NU EDP + Demeter Fig Leaf
    YSL NU EDP + Davidoff Goodlife Woman
    YSL NU EDP + Dior Dune
    YSL NU EDP + Ava Luxe Fig
    YSL NU EDP + Avon Rare Sapphires
    YSL NU EDP + Davidoff Goodlife Man
    YSL NU EDP + Dior Dune for Men

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by djuna
    I've also layered Coco EdP with Cacharel's Anais Anais, and have gotten quite a few compliments on the pairing.
    Mmmm. Could you please give us a fuller report on that combo please, djuna? Using the core questions:
    What did you try?
    Did you like it?

Do you think it ‘works’?
    Did it illicit compliments / comments?
    Which notes dominated in the blend?
    Did it work out the way you imagined it would?
    Would you wear it again?

I would have assumed that the Chanel Coco EDP would have overwhelmed / dominated the Cacharel Anais Anais. I would love to hear how the two of them work together / interact. Thanks.

Thank you for the warm welcome moondeva:-)
    Nu is more woodsy, incense like quite strong. Something like Donna Karan Cashmere. Just today I mixed Philosykos with Kenzo Jungle....love experimenting.
    I once mixed Summer Kenzo and DG Sicily...was plainly curious. I think I need to try Angel and Summer?? Will let you know how that works out;-))
    btw for someone (like me) that loves Heliotrope, fig, honey.....what would you recommend?
    I was always curious about questionnaires that determine which perfume suits you but never managed to find one that was satisfactory or had all the elements...Do you know of any sites?
    Cheerio!
    To fear love is to fear life, and those who fear life are already three parts dead.

Okay, Moondeva, My Love,

I GOT MY SNIFFER BACK, BABY!

Here is my layering combo for the day....
    Chanel No. 19 on wrists and above belly button
    Le Baiser du Dragon on inner forearms and below belly button

I call this combo: "Shake Your Groove Thing"
    because that is what is makes me want to do...it is what happens when a Chanel Lady is bitten by a Naughty Ole Dragon, yes indeed!
    The smooth, green and leather combo of 19 is an elegant backdrop to the sweet and spicy nibble of Le Baiser du Dragon. The secret to this, is I believe a NIBBLE of the Dragon to a MOUTHFUL of the Chanel.
    The Dragon gives Lady 19 the playfulness and spice she needs to muss up her hair just a tad.
    I will post the notes later when I have time to research them.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Notes for Chanel no. 19: (according to Basenotes Directory)

* Top Notes
    * Galbanum, Bergamot, Neroli, Hyacinth ,
    Middle Notes
    * Rose, Orris, Jasmine, Narcissus, Muguet, Ylang-Ylang ,
    Base Notes
    * Musk, Sandal, Oakmoss, Leather, Cedarwood ,

and for Le Baiser du Dragon:

* Top Notes
    * Amaretto, Gardenia, Neroli,
    Middle Notes
    * Iris, Musk, Cedar, Bulgarian Rose,
    Base Notes
    * Vetiver, Patchouli, Benzoin, Amber,

I find it interesting to see the overlapping notes of Neroli in the top and also musk, cedar, and rose in the heart and base of each....

I truly enjoyed this combo throughout the day and continue to wear it this evening. It gives one just the right softness with a bit of a spicey punch.
    I see how the soft florals lend themselves to this blend, along with the musk common to both.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Talking Re: The Great Layering Challenge (Freestyle) - Oriental

Here I be, swimming in the freestyle lane...

Today after working hard in my attic, I showered and scrubbed all the cobwebs off of me and am now particularly happy with my layering results:

1. Camille Beckman Mango Beach body lotion. yum!
    2. Dabs of En Avion at key pulse points. marvy!
    3. Light spritz of Eugenie on forearms and breast. the finishing touch!

The sandalwood in the Eugenie just makes this very feminine and sweet combination sparkle. Try it! I imagine a vanilla based or other tropical fruity body lotion could work nicely if mango beach is not at hand.
    En Avion is key here, though, hard to find a substitute for that one!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41
    Here I be, swimming in the freestyle lane...

Today after working hard in my attic, I showered and scrubbed all the cobwebs off of me and am now particularly happy with my layering results:

1. Camille Beckman Mango Beach body lotion. yum!
    2. Dabs of En Avion at key pulse points. marvy!
    3. Light spritz of Eugenie on forearms and breast. the finishing touch!

The sandalwood in the Eugenie just makes this very feminine and sweet combination sparkle. Try it! I imagine a vanilla based or other tropical fruity body lotion could work nicely if mango beach is not at hand.
    En Avion is key here, though, hard to find a substitute for that one!
    I have a wee sample of En Avion rolling about somewhere here and feel TBS Mango Body Butter may do in a pinch.... but sadly I have never sniffed your 'Eugenie' so cannot even tell if there is anything that smells similar that I could substitute.

I can only imagine how lovely, fruity and elegantly feminine you smell. Thank you for describing this to us.

Moondeva,
    Here are the notes of Impeatrice Eugenie from Aedes.com:
    Jasmine, sandalwood and vanilla...created for the Empress Eugenia Napoleon III

Perhaps another frag with this combo of jasmine and sandalwood would work?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41
    Moondeva,
    Here are the notes of Impeatrice Eugenie from Aedes.com:
    Jasmine, sandalwood and vanilla...created for the Empress Eugenia Napoleon III

Perhaps another frag with this combo of jasmine and sandalwood would work?
    How close is Imperatrice Eugenie to Samsara ? I imagine it being sweeter and softer...

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    How close is Imperatrice Eugenie to Samsara ? I imagine it being sweeter and softer...
    oh dear, you KNOW I have Guerlain woes...however, I did sniff samsara at the frag counter...eugenie is sweeter, but more potent, I would say. My memory of samsara is more of a muted, brushed note, whereas eugenie is very distinct and clear edged. For example if they were both eyeliner, eugenie would be liquid eyeliner and samsara would be pencil that you blend. does that make sense?
    And sandalwood is paramount , center stage in the eugenie. Sandalwood sweetened with vanilla. One of my Holy Grail fragrances, for sure.
    Maybe if you try it with your favorite of your sandalwood frags...a bright sandalwood.
    I am just not familiar enough with a broad range to make too many suggestions.
    Does Serge Lutens make a sandalwood scent?
    Last edited by rtamara41; 28th January 2007 at 11:02 PM.

Hi Moondeva, I just wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten the layering experiments, I have gotten a cold. I still wear perfume (habit), but wouldn't be a very good judge right now.

Blog Entries

Hi Moondeva, I just wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten the layering experiments, I have gotten a cold. I still wear perfume (habit), but wouldn't be a very good judge right now.
    Ok, thanks for letting me know, my dear.

Please look after yourself.

I do hope that you have recovered your sense of smell in time for the animalic Sniff 'n' Speak this coming saturday.

Talking Re: The Great Layering Challenge (Freestyle) - Oriental

That Nuit de Noel and L'huere bleue sounds fantastic. I need to replenish those so I can try it. I'm trying out Youth Dew Amber Nude over Ciara (more pedestrian, I know) and I'm trying to discern who is winning. Maybe neither.
    Perhaps I'm onto something!!

Question Re: The Great Layering Challenge (Freestyle) - Oriental

ok today I mixed Cococabana by Nikolai and lo and behold Angel....yes I know sweet that is can not be any more sweeter....
    Actually Cococabana smells now more like Nymphea.....
    If you check the current perfumes that I have, what would you suggest to mix?

Omnia Crystalline Bulgari 2005
    Ligea "La Sirena" Carthusia
    Dolce Vita Christian Dior 1995
    Ex'cla.ma'tion Coty 1988
    Philosykos Diptyque 1996
    Sicily Dolce & Gabbana 2003
    Vanderbilt Gloria Vanderbilt 1982
    Black for Her Kenneth Cole 2004
    FlowerbyKenzo Kenzo 2000
    Jungle L'Éléphant Kenzo 1996
    SummerbyKenzo Kenzo 2005
    Lolita Lempicka Lolita Lempicka 1997
    Paul Smith London for Women Paul Smith 2004
    Maroussia Slava Zaitsev 1992
    Angel Thierry Mugler 1992
    Crystal Noir Versace 2004
    Lily of the Valley Yardley 1980
    Nu Eau de Toilette Yves Saint Laurent 2002

I accidently broke a large bottle of hypnotic poison and filled four bottles and had it all over me so I thought I'd add a little musk essential oil and it really smells nice. It cut down the caraway some.
    Notes: Bitter Almond, Caraway
    Jasmine
    Vanilla, moss, jacaranda wood, musk

Yes, I would definitely do this again, (combining).
    My husband loves Hypnotic Poison even more than I do so the compliments will be there when he gets home I'm sure. I haven't been out, still have a slight cold hanging on.