Code of Conduct

Default Splendidly Scented Ladies' Book Club seeks good smellin' men, for added spice

Hi Gents,
    Just wanted to let you know that we are forming a book club over on the FFD and, despite the exclusive sounding title, we would love to have you there! We will read a book, we've chosen Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys, and we'll start discussing it within a fragrance reference the second Saturday in Feb, which is the 10th, I think. All are welcome. For more details check the sticky thread on the FFD.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

Default Re: Splendidly Scented Ladies' Book Club seeks good smellin' men, for added spice

Is Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys fiction? I have so many books next to the bed that I feel guilty using and reading the computer.

Default Re: Splendidly Scented Ladies' Book Club seeks good smellin' men, for added spice

Yes, it's fiction. It's essentially the pre-quel to Jane Eyre. It's REALLY good... (in sing-song tempting voice)
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

Hey, didn't they make that into a movie? I'm almost certain that I've seen it. I remember a scene where the male co-lead kills a crab. The movie was something that I almost certainly would never watch, yet I couldn't stop myself.

I'm probably way off

-ben

edit- I just did some research, and I'm positive that the movie I saw was in fact W.S.G. Now I have the mystery of figuring out where and when and why I watched it.
    Last edited by greyhueofdoubt; 22nd January 2007 at 05:12 PM.
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

probaly not Grey, since it takes place in Jamaica mon.

on TV last year and in theaters 1993

http://imdb.com/find?s=all&q=Wide+Sargasso+Sea

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo
    probaly not Grey, since it takes place in Jamaica mon.

on TV last year and in theaters 1993

http://imdb.com/find?s=all&q=Wide+Sargasso+Sea

No, there's a scene where he kills that crab that lives in a nook in a stream. He was in a 'kill something beautiful' mood; it might have been related to his nightmares. Antoinette or a servant cathes him in the act, and I think that's when his monstrous/animal side is revealed to the viewer.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

Quote Originally Posted by greyhueofdoubt
    Hey, didn't they make that into a movie? I'm almost certain that I've seen it. I remember a scene where the male co-lead kills a crab. The movie was something that I almost certainly would never watch, yet I couldn't stop myself.

I'm probably way off
    I meant that you were probably not wrong.

I write like I think, utterly confused. My excuse is that I'm heavily medicated.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 22nd January 2007 at 06:10 PM.

Are there no men amoung you that read? I grant you The Wide Sargasso Sea may be a bit....pour femme, but I'd very much like the odd man to join the discussion. A male perspective can be very stimulating, and I promise to support your rights to politically incorrect opinions (duh, it's basenotes!) Also, please make a suggestion of some book that man would like to read...if there's only one or two of you, you'll get your choice for sure!

Smile Re: Splendidly Scented Ladies' Book Club seeks good smellin' men, for added spice

Hi shycat

Do sargent rock comic books count?

Rick

I'm not familiar with that particular comic. See? See how much I need to expand my literary scope?

I can't participate this time but next time hopefully...

This is something that I would consider as well, but I'm too swamped with work for the next couple of weeks.

But... How about considering "Jitterbug Pefume" by Tom Robbins... One of my favorites, and sooooo apropos!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drzed
    This is something that I would consider as well, but I'm too swamped with work for the next couple of weeks.

But... How about considering "Jitterbug Pefume" by Tom Robbins... One of my favorites, and sooooo apropos!
    I suggested this over on the ladies thread! Just finished re-reading it and it strikes me as almost as significant as Perfume: The Story of a Murderer for perfume fiction literature lovers.

Great fun to read, cracking story, and I just know most people will be choosing SL MKK as the representative scent of Pan...
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

I'm in the middle of Bullfinch's Mythology right now, which means that I have sort of my own "book of the year' club...

I haven't been reading as much as I'd like to. If I had more free time, I'd commit to reading along with the SSLBC.

If I were to recommend a book, I'd go with 'The remains of the day' or something by David Sedaris.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

Talking Re: Splendidly Scented Ladies' Book Club seeks good smellin' men, for added spice

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    Great fun to read, cracking story, and I just know most people will be choosing SL MKK as the representative scent of Pan...
    LOL! Does MKK have a beet pollen base note???

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drzed
    LOL! Does MKK have a beet pollen base note???
    No, duh! I meant the smell of Pan before the perfume... Maybe a mix of SL MKK + YSL Kouros would be even more evocative of the old god, with a healthy dash of Aramis for Men...

I would love to find out what beet pollen does smell like... May be there is a perfume out there that smells very similar? Or maybe I can get some essence and make some of my own...

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *