Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Who should host the next Basenotes Feast Week?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Guerlain

19 48.72%
  • Editions de Frederic Malle

10 25.64%
  • Caron

2 5.13%
  • L'Artisan

8 20.51%

Default Further feasting?

A few of us have been lingering around the table over at the "Seven Days of Serge" thread -- Riannon and Lady_in_Black threw such a great party, we just can't bear to go home without planning to get together again.

The thinking so far is that next time, we should choose a house that is easily accessible so that lots of people will be able to participate, and allow plenty of time for people to get samples. (We also want to give Lutensites a few weeks to catch up on their sampling, and we don't want to interfere with the fabulous scented Book Club, so I'm guessing this will be a late February or early March party.)

So here's a poll to test interest in a Future Feast week. Here are the names that have come up so far -- which house would you most like to feast on next?

Default Re: Further feasting?

I have voted for L'Artisan!

Guerlain got my vote, but honestly speaking, all of them are very deserving a week's wear! :toppie:

Please also do not forget about the first group project -- fragrance families, the first Saturday of each month. My head is spinning now, I have a good calendar with pretty pictures and it is already marked all over! First Saturday -- families, thrid weekend -- bookclub. Other people are layering, etc...

Anyway, I am all for it. It is also a good idea to give us all more time to acquire the samples/full bottles and do homework. And how about Chanel?

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf
    Please also do not forget about the first group project -- fragrance families, the first Saturday of each month. ... And how about Chanel?
    Chanel, definitely an oversight. And I love the first Saturday family project! Maybe we should start the feast mid-March, assuming the book club will be our February mid-month project, and maybe continue alternating mid-months (as long as there are houses and interest)?

I voted for Editions de Parfum because I have two of those scents as opposed to only one L'Artisan... and zero by Guerlain and Caron.

Editions de Parfum Frederic Malle!

Quote Originally Posted by linnea
    I voted for Editions de Parfum because I have two of those scents as opposed to only one L'Artisan... and zero by Guerlain and Caron.

I have a few Caron parfum samples but I don 't see myself wearing them really, I dread the old lady thing lol although French Cancan, Farnesiana and En Avion in extraits de parfum are so beautiful!
    Last edited by Bois et Musc; 23rd January 2007 at 05:31 AM.

I voted Guerlain, because that's what I have most of, but any of the suggested houses would be great. In fact, I hope that we'll keep this up and give each (including Chanel) their due.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

I voted for L'Artisan because I enjoy the variety so much. But I could be very happy with Guerlain, too! Guerlain actually would be better, since I recall it's going to be mid Feburary and cold/icy. I have my Nahema to keep me warm!

Voted for my great love Guerlain!!

And oh dear! That was supposed to be the next project of LIB and I
    Not discussed fully because we wanted to give you some time to recover.

But after the Lutens week it is great to see other members warming up to the thought of starting a new 'week of feasting' :toppie:

I am in
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Another vote for Guerlain. I also agree on a Chanel feasting week soon.

Encore for Guerlain!
    + Another suggestion: Yves Saint-Laurent (Opium, Kouros, Yvresse, Paris etc.)

Count me in! I voted for the Malle scents, someone has to react to all this Guerlain madness . But if it has to be Guerlain, I will try not to suffer too much...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

My vote goes for Frederic, even though I have a good number of Caron decants that I could choose from.
    Guerlain and I have a troubled relationship I am afraid
    My vintage Mitsouko appears to have something growing in it, and my newly acquired Shalimar is not talking to me.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I'm one of those included by LIB in Guerlains madness... so, I voted Guerlain of course. I really like many of them, and they are so different from each other that one can hardly get bored... Besides, goodness there are so many to select from.
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

i voted for malle - i figured the boys could join in too, and the malle scents seem to have initeresting "twists" - like the lutens. something that would be interesting to deconstruct amongst friends.
    Seeking: woods patchouli fresh tuberose

L'Artisan would be the other one the guys could participate in easily... plus, I'm biased because that's the house I voted for :-) since it's the only one I have a week's worth of. But I could happily play along for at least a couple days with the others too, so it's all good!

I hope everybody doesn't think I'm being a frump for not participating in the feasting. My perfumes come from an assortment of houses. I don't have a big concentration of any single house. Lacking access to the big department store counters, it's hard to get a wad of samples, too.
    So, I will sit back and enjoy your posts.
    Happy overindulgence.

Another L'Artisan vote from me -- I had ordered several L'Artisan samples from Aedes early in the year, and then walked off with a boatload more from the frag counter at Barneys after dropping the big bucks for my Chergui during Lutens week!

While I love Guerlains on others, to plaguarize a bit from tamara41, the Guerlainade and I are generally not on speaking terms. Prominent jasmine seems to be my nemesis. Only Guerlain I've tried (and granted, I've only tried a few, but they've been some of the real gems) that I actually liked on myself was Samsara. Which has the dreaded jasmine note, too, so unclear what's up with that. If we do go for Guerlains, I will need suggestions... and possibly sample vials! But I am IN!!! :bounce:
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Voted for Guerlain as well. I also (like many here) think that Chanel would be great for the next round.

Thanks to Twolf--to the rescue with samples!-- I will be able to participate after all. Deal me in, people. High stakes, wild cards, ante up.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7
    Thanks to Twolf--to the rescue with samples!-- I will be able to participate after all. Deal me in, people. High stakes, wild cards, ante up.
    Woohoo! Glad to hear you're in after all!
    Last edited by coumarin; 25th January 2007 at 05:05 PM.

I voted for Guerlain, but they are all good suggestions!

Personally, I think we should work our way though all the houses mentioned, one week every 2-3 months, maybe.

Oh yeah, my gosh, with breathing room.

Quote Originally Posted by coumarin
    Personally, I think we should work our way though all the houses mentioned, one week every 2-3 months, maybe.
    I love that idea! Not wanting to burn anyone out, I agree keeping a distance between feasts is a great idea.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

YAY!! We have a winner!
    Guerlain!!

Will be a great week again.
    But: when

And: will there be a 'menu' for the starter of the thread, like at the Lutens Week or can we all go and choose what we want?

:bounce:

Quote Originally Posted by Riannon
    YAY!! We have a winner!
    Guerlain!!

Will be a great week again.
    But: when

And: will there be a 'menu' for the starter of the thread, like at the Lutens Week or can we all go and choose what we want?

:bounce:
    Good idea!
    I will put my hand and foot up for that.
    I guess we should allow sometime for other members to collect a few different Guerlain scents so that everyone could rotate, test and give feedback on the Guerlain feast week?

Yippee! A Guerlain week!
    “Everything is a miracle. It is a miracle that one does not dissolve in one's bath like a lump of sugar.”
    -Pablo Picasso

Was out of town whilst you guys were plotting and am THRILLED to anticipate a Guerlain week! :bounce: Breathlessly await instructions! :bounce::bounce: Which, God willing, I will be able to keep straight!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I voted for Guerlain, too. Yes, I'm thrilled about further feasting.
    Some books are undeservedly forgotten, none are undeservedly remembered - W.H. Auden

Feb.17 (Full Moon) -- the earliest week available -- does not sound too good. How about March 11-17 (Moon growing) and there is plenty of time to get the samples? JMHO.

Feb.17 (Full Moon) -- the earliest week available -- does not sound too good. How about March 11-17 (Moon growing) and there is plenty of time to get the samples? JMHO.
    March 11-17 sounds good. Enough time for everybody to get enough
    samples and I don't think we are hindering the Splendid Ladies and their books?

What does Coumarin think of this?
    After all, this is her 'baby'

Yes, March 11-17 would be fab - what better way to enjoy one's birthday than wearing a scent of a house she finds challenging
    And I have stocked up on Guerlains, but they didn't arrive yet. I sure do hope to find at least one I love.
    Coumarin, chime in, please! :wave:

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black
    Yes, March 11-17 would be fab - what better way to enjoy one's birthday than wearing a scent of a house she finds challenging
    And I have stocked up on Guerlains, but they didn't arrive yet. I sure do hope to find at least one I love.
    Coumarin, chime in, please! :wave:
    Guerlain it is! I'm going to propose March 10-16 -- running our week Saturday to Friday as we did for Lutens week, which seemed to work well. Can't wait!

Guerlain it is! I'm going to propose March 10-16 -- running our week Saturday to Friday as we did for Lutens week, which seemed to work well. Can't wait!
    March 10-16: no problem That is fine with me.

Oh, I can't wait either :bounce:

Already making lists of the lovelies I'm going to wear. Oh, LIB, you'll see, with all our enthusiasm you will end up falling in love with Guerlain.
    All Guerlains, and most likely the hard to get ones.
    In Bee Bottles, very Big Bee Bottles

I will help you to empty them.....

It would be cool if we could work out having all of the currently available Guerlain's worn at least once, and maybe some of the rarer ones, too. Maybe we need an inventory of the less common ones. I have Rose Barbare and Sous la Vent (reformulated) on hand (small decant and sample). Any others out there?

whats going on here? is this like a convention? no i didn't read the whole three pages, but from what i did read i'm greatly confused.
    http://www.myspace.com/mermaidsushi
    http://www.myspace.com/longdistancelovers

my all-time faves include anna sui, vera wang princess, nanette lepore, miracle, amor amor, juicy couture, ralph rocks & betsey johnson

decants i'm looking for:
    a sample vial/decant of viva la juicy by juicy couture
    anna sui scents (other than the original)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodylipstick
    whats going on here? is this like a convention? no i didn't read the whole three pages, but from what i did read i'm greatly confused.
    Hi Bloodylipstick! There's plenty of time to catch up. For the week of March 10-16, all Basenoters are invited to join in the Guerlain challenge by wearing Guerlain fragrances exclusively, and posting about the experience. For some of us, this will be easy to do, for others, not so much

Last month we had a Serge Lutens week. I had only tried one SL fragrance beforehand, so I stocked up on samples and dove in. While I didn't love everything I tried, I did get to know SL both through my own samples, and through postings by more experienced SL fans, and found some new possibilities and a favorite I expect to be wearing for sometime to come. Here's the Lutens thread if you are interested in catching up:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=191397

If you don't think you are up to sticking out the full seven days of Guerlain, you are welcome to join us for as many days as you like. This is about exploring old favorites, finding new favorites, and sharing our Guerlain impressions with each other, for better or worse. I'll request a sticky thread as we get closer to the event, so stay tuned!
    Last edited by coumarin; 3rd February 2007 at 12:26 AM.

Dates are fine with me too.

As for the fragrances, I would suggest we go with the classic scents (which ones?
    Jicky,
    L'Heure Bleue,
    Shalimar,
    Vol de Nuit,
    Mitsouko,
    Apres L'Ondee) for 3 to 5 days, some of the limited editions (vintage and re-released) for 1 to 2 days, and one day will be totally devoted to the Guerlain of your choice. That last category can be either Your Favorite Guerlain (the one that nobody knows and you feel it deserves more exposure), or it can even be a repeat from one of the previous days (you like it so much and can't get enough of it / it puzzles you and you would like to get to know it better!), or one of the Aqua Allegorias (they are easy to cope with and there is plenty of them to choose from!). Like free-styling, I guess.

Dates are fine with me too.

As for the fragrances, I would suggest we go with the classic scents (which ones?
    Jicky,
    L'Heure Bleue,
    Shalimar,
    Vol de Nuit,
    Mitsouko,
    Apres L'Ondee) for 3 to 5 days, some of the limited editions (vintage and re-released) for 1 to 2 days, and one day will be totally devoted to the Guerlain of your choice. That last category can be either Your Favorite Guerlain (the one that nobody knows and you feel it deserves more exposure), or it can even be a repeat from one of the previous days (you like it so much and can't get enough of it / it puzzles you and you would like to get to know it better!), or one of the Aqua Allegorias (they are easy to cope with and there is plenty of them to choose from!). Like free-styling, I guess.
    Hi Twolf! There are so many great Guerlains to choose from, I was thinking maybe we could group days by type of fragrance (and be pretty loose about assigning types). This could accomplish a few things: 1) getting the group to wear a broader range of Guerlain scents 2) accommodating a broader range of tastes (fans of newer scents as well as classics), and 3) allowing for beginning B'noters (with widely available scents) as well as more advanced collectors (with rare and vintage scents).

What do you think of a week that looks something like this?

Saturday - Orientals
    Sunday - Florals
    Monday - Amber/Vanilla
    Tuesday - Chypres
    Wednesday - Hesperdic/Fruity
    Thursday - Animalic/Leathers
    Friday - Your favorite all around (and why!)

Of course anyone would be free to skip a category that does not work for them and wear something else -- maybe post about trying a particular frag, and what about it didn't work for them -- or just take a freestyle day.
    Last edited by coumarin; 3rd February 2007 at 02:01 AM.

Your schedule is actually very good!

Your schedule is actually very good!
    Thanks, Twolf, that's good to hear! I can definitely see integrating your approach by suggesting a "classic of the day" and "modern of the day", along with plenty of alternates for each day/category.

What do you think of a week that looks something like this?

Saturday - Orientals
    Sunday - Florals
    Monday - Amber/Vanilla
    Tuesday - Chypres
    Wednesday - Hesperdic/Fruity
    Thursday - Animalic/Leathers
    Friday - Your favorite all around (and why!)

Of course anyone would be free to skip a category that does not work for them and wear something else -- maybe post about trying a particular frag, and what about it didn't work for them -- or just take a freestyle day.
    Absolutely splendid suggestion Coumarin!
    Maybe we could make a list of fragrances that belong to each category for the less experienced in Guerlain?
    That would make it easier for them to get the right samples/decants.

Absolutely splendid suggestion Coumarin!
    Maybe we could make a list of fragrances that belong to each category for the less experienced in Guerlain?
    That would make it easier for them to get the right samples/decants.
    Definitely -- I have one started, but will need some input from more experienced noses, especially on the men's scents.

1) ORIENTAL
    Shalimar
    L'Heure Bleue
    Vol de Nuit
    L'Instant / Homme
    Samsara
    Jardins de Bagatelle

2) FLORAL
    Apres L'Ondee
    L'Heure Bleue
    Jardins de Bagatelle
    Les Meteorites
    Nahema
    Chamade
    Champs Elysees
    Insolence
    Aqua Allegorias Ylang & Vanille, Lavande et Velours, Neroli, Florifolia
    Rose Barbare

3) AMBER/VANILLA
    Samsara
    L'Instant / Homme
    Insolence
    Habit Rouge?
    Aqua Allegorias Ylang & Vanille

4) CHYPRE
    Mitsouko
    Nahema
    Parure
    Vetiver
    Jicky
    Sous la Vent
    Rose Barbare
    Corolian
    L'Instant Homme
    Habit Rouge

5) HESPIREDIC/FRUIT
    Shalimar
    Mitsouko
    Jicky
    Vol De Nuit
    Parure
    Mahora
    Corolian
    Vetiver
    Eau de Guerlain
    Aqua Allegorias Pamplune, Winter Delices, Grosellina, Tutti Kiwi, Orange Magnifica, Lemon Fresca

6) ANIMALIC/LEATHER
    Jicky
    Cuir Beluga
    Shalimar
    Derby

We should put the best choices for each category toward the top of each list. As you can see, I'm trying to be as loose as is reasonable in assigning fragrances to multiple categories to allow for a variety of collections and tastes.

I'm sure there are gaffes and omissions here, so I'm happy to get input from you all on how to expand and improve this list. What do you think?

Seems to me that Animalic/Leather could cause some problems. Not the notes Guerlain is using very prominent. Oh well.

Some other perfumes:
    Winter Delice AA - Oriental Woody
    Aroma Allegoria: Aromaparfum Vitalisant - Citrus Aromatic
    Bois d'Armenie condidered by OzMoz as a men's perfume - Oriental Woody
    Cuir Beluga - Chypre Floral
    Eau Hégémonienne - Citrus Aromatic
    Guet-Apens/Attrape-Coeur - Amber Vanille for me but seems to be classified as fruity chypre rose animalic. And there is wood in there as well
    Metallica/Metalys - Floral Oriental (lots of carnations)
    Guerlinade - Floral

And certainly: Habit Rouge can fit into the Amber/Vanilla's

But I think you have a great list there already. It does not have to be 'the complete work of Guerlain' IMHO.

Nice piece of work, Coumarin :toppie: Thank you!

Oh, I have missed this thread totaly - and I do believe I read almost everything on this board.... But this is what can happen when one works eight hours five days a week, I guess!

I am so happy you have choosen Guerlain for this week, it is what I would have voted for. It´s great you are helping us not so well experiensed with the classification of all the frags! I can join the whole week, I will only have to get me one new bottle, and it is the bottle I already am planing as my next buy!
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Seems to me that Animalic/Leather could cause some problems. Not the notes Guerlain is using very prominent. Oh well.

Some other perfumes:
    Winter Delice AA - Oriental Woody
    Aroma Allegoria: Aromaparfum Vitalisant - Citrus Aromatic
    Bois d'Armenie condidered by OzMoz as a men's perfume - Oriental Woody
    Cuir Beluga - Chypre Floral
    Eau Hégémonienne - Citrus Aromatic
    Guet-Apens/Attrape-Coeur - Amber Vanille for me but seems to be classified as fruity chypre rose animalic. And there is wood in there as well
    Metallica/Metalys - Floral Oriental (lots of carnations)
    Guerlinade - Floral

And certainly: Habit Rouge can fit into the Amber/Vanilla's
    Thanks for the list additions! I agree that the leather/animalic category is a bit sparse -- do you think we might do better with a Woody/Green category instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Margareta
    Oh, I have missed this thread totaly - and I do believe I read almost everything on this board.... But this is what can happen when one works eight hours five days a week, I guess!

I am so happy you have choosen Guerlain for this week, it is what I would have voted for. It´s great you are helping us not so well experiensed with the classification of all the frags! I can join the whole week, I will only have to get me one new bottle, and it is the bottle I already am planing as my next buy!
    Hi Margareta! Glad you found us, glad you'll be able to join us, and glad we could give you an excuse to buy another bottle

Coumarin, thanks for the great effort you put in that list and thanks Riannon for the additions, among which there are some I plan to be wearing
    May I add the fruity floral Purple Fantasy and the vanilla-rich Angélique Noire?

Thanks for the list additions! I agree that the leather/animalic category is a bit sparse -- do you think we might do better with a Woody/Green category instead?
    Woody/Green is also not one of Guerlain's largest categories.
    Could we not make this easier by making it a 'Leather/Animalic or Woody' day? (leaving out the 'Green')
    With only 'Woody' added, you will have much more choice

Nobody of Guerlain will protest I think , so........

Just one of my wild ideas

Woody/Green is also not one of Guerlain's largest categories.
    Could we not make this easier by making it a 'Leather/Animalic or Woody' day? (leaving out the 'Green')
    With only 'Woody' added, you will have much more choice ...
    I think you're right -- "Leather/Animalic or Woody" for the Thursday category sounds like the best solution.