Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Advice for the Layering Addict please...

I am love, love, loving Gucci Eau de Parfum but finding that it has little presence or 'lasting power' in the colder weather (on my cold skin).

I am wondering what to layer it with to increase depth, longevity and sillage without compromising the original scent. I layered it with CK Obsession today which worked well but I am thinking there may be better solutions.

The main notes are:
    Top: Citrus, Orange Blossom, Thyme, Cumin
    Heart: Iris, Heliotrope, Cedar, Orris
    Base: Cistus (labdanum), Vanilla Absolute, Musk

I am considering the following additions:

Woods: TBS Altaro (amber + sandalwood), TBS Japanese Musk 2006(cedar + musk), Jean Desprez Bal a Versailles (amber + sandalwood), OJ Tolu

Amber / resins: Ava Luxe Dark Amber, Nemat Myrrh, Nemat Frankincense, Ava Luxe Golden Amber, Cistus Labdanum, Ambra del Nepal

Musks: Nemat Vanilla Musk, Jovan Musk oil, Lentheric Just Musk, TBS Mostly Musk

Iris: Dior Homme, Boucheron Woman, Guerlain Samsara, Guy Larouche Fidji

Any other suggestions / ideas also welcome.

Thank you!
    Last edited by moondeva; 23rd January 2007 at 01:19 AM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Default Re: Advice for the Layering Addict please...

acutally before considering layring with another fragrance try bath and body works body creams or body butters. they smell so yummy, last on your skin all day. plus cheaper so you can have more fun.

i have found mixing the creams with parfums create fun smells
    Current Top Five: Burberry Londen, Love Spell, Miss Dior Cherie, J.Lo Live, Provocative Interlude
    Myspace

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tink
    acutally before considering layring with another fragrance try bath and body works body creams or body butters. they smell so yummy, last on your skin all day. plus cheaper so you can have more fun.

i have found mixing the creams with parfums create fun smells
    Thank you, I usually do layer my scents with body oils but find the scented creams provided in ranges with perfumes are not good for my skin (petroleum based, plasticky) and are way too heavily scented to use all over as I do with my creams & lotions.

i would probably layer this with TBS Cocoa body butter in winter but think that will obliterate the scent. I wore it last night layered over unscented body lotion but it did not provide the longevity or depth I am seeking.

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Hi Moondeva, Gosh, I never thought of layering as an addiction. I just thought of it as a fun game. Sometimes I do like to layer something, not that I feel I can improve on these great perfumes, I just like to sometimes make a fragrance my own. Something special for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TDDanae
    Hi Moondeva, Gosh, I never thought of layering as an addiction. I just thought of it as a fun game. Sometimes I do like to layer something, not that I feel I can improve on these great perfumes, I just like to sometimes make a fragrance my own. Something special for me.
    Sorry, TDDanae. The title of this thread is a bit misleading...

I do not have an 'addiction' with layering as that speaks of compulsion and lack of personal control. There are many many perfumes that I love and tend to wear unadulterated. I just happen to enjoy the creative, personal expression of combining to create a unique third scent.

I chose the title as I realised that I have started and fanned quite a few posts / threads about layering on here and was poking fun at my perceived 'persona' that is developing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=moondeva][FONT=Arial][SIZE=4][COLOR=#6b3d7a]I am love, love, loving Gucci Eau de Parfum but finding that it has little presence or 'lasting power' in the colder weather (on my cold skin).

I am wondering what to layer it with to increase depth, longevity and sillage without compromising the original scent. I layered it with CK Obsession today which worked well but I am thinking there may be better solutions.

The main notes are:
    Top: Citrus, Orange Blossom, Thyme, Cumin
    Heart: Iris, Heliotrope, Cedar, Orris
    Base: Cistus (labdanum), Vanilla Absolute, Musk

What about Some of the subdued Carons such as;
    Poivre, Coup de Fouet, Parfum Sacre or
    Chanel; Cuir de Russie, also very dry but dense to my nose. I like layering with this one a lot.
    I think I'll give it a try today & let you know.

There is no need to be sorry. I was just funnin with you.

Hi Moondeva,
    I have never sniffed this fragrance, but going by purely your listed notes,
    what about trying

Serge Lutens
    Arabie or Un Bois Vanille which might support the orange and cumin topnotes

or something Ambery...today I tried Montale Blue Amber and I see this as having great layering potential. It is warm and close to the skin , a very deep note. In fact, it is like Amber Sultan but without the woodsiness to it.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

or how about Coco Chanel? Just to be daring?
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41
    Great suggestion! You want to talk about lasting power...I had Coco on 2 weeks ago and was using my computer shortly after applying. Now when I use my mouse on my computer my right wrist is still picking up the Coco that apparently is still clinging to my desk for all its worth! That is lasting power!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

[...]Serge Lutens Arabie or Un Bois Vanille which might support the orange and cumin topnotes

or something Ambery...today I tried Montale Blue Amber and I see this as having great layering potential. It is warm and close to the skin , a very deep note. In fact, it is like Amber Sultan but without the woodsiness to it.
    Hiya gorgeous! ::mwah, mwah::

Thank you for the suggestions but both of the Serge Lutens would completely overpower this scent. It is actually a lot more sheer and elusive then the notes suggest... at least on my skin.

I have yet to try any of the Montales so I cannot say for certain whether they would work. But from what I have read they are very potent, assertive scents and, again, I feel they would compromise the delicate woodiness of this scent.

That does sound like a great idea. However, Chanel Coco does not come across as soft ore chocolatey on my skin. The aldehydes (Chanel speciality / trademark) with the other notes express themselves as polished brass / bronze - high pitched and 'brittle' rather than softly baritone. It would fight with and overwhelm the Gucci Eau de Parfum all the way...

well, moondeva , daaaaaaaaahhhhhhlinnnnnk...
    as always, I am greatly impressed at your ability to target qualities of fragrances and describe these in an easily understood manner...

I think I will just have to sniff that perfume to get some really good layering suggestions for you.

although, re: the blue amber, it truly is a soft warm , non assertive sort of scent, imo so far that is. more testing required