Code of Conduct

Default Work cologne suggestions for a salesmen

Figured I should post this here since I am just starting to get into frags more. I work in sales and the ability to make a good first impression is the difference in a lot of sales.

As far as dress goes, I tend to go darker in color and I'm always in a tie. The closet is full of gray, black, and blues. I'm 29, bald by choice, and am often mistaken for being 5-7 years younger because I'm a baby face. Also I'm a smoker and I know that the smell of smoke can be a turn off to most, so I would need a stronger scent.

So here is what I need. Suggestions from both males and females on a good scent for me at work. Something that doesn't scream used car salesmen... I'm not one for what its worth. After
    I get some advice, I'll go hunt for samples and test some out on me. Heck, if there is a large response to a certain frag, I might just buy it because I'm in an area where things are hard to find and I haven't got a sample given to me when I ask for one in years.

Thanks in advance.

-Carson
    -iStink

Default Re: Work cologne suggestions for a salesmen

What, if any, scents have you tried in the past that you liked? This will give us an idea of what to recommend.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Hi Carson,
    first of all, welcome aboard!
    Then about frags you don't tell many things about scents you like or used in the past...
    Anyway, according also to the purpose you'll use it and to the dress style you have, my suggestion is to chose something that can be present, but not too overbearing, something like a green chypre or even a light tobacco scent (that will suit your 'vice').
    My suggestions are (I'll avoid niche or nard to find stuff as you required):
    - Chanel Pour Monsieur edt Concentrée
    - Chanel Egoiste Platinum
    - Guerlain Heritage
    - Guerlain Vetiver (for the tobacco note)
    - Guerlain COriolan
    - Cartier Declaration
    - Cartier Santos
    - Versace L'Homme
    - Versace The Dreamer
    - YSL Jazz
    - L'eau d'Issey PH (another tobaccoish one)
    just to name some...

John Varvatos. This leathery scent "is" black, grey, and blue to me (your wardrobe colors) and would also pair well with your "vice"
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

I think it really depends on what you sell. Are you a salesman in low end or upmarket retail outlets? or are you selling industrial equipment in bulk?

I would recommend something fresh and liked by most people if you meet many clients or buyers a day. You would need to smell good, sharp and clean. Anything too sweet, spicy or similar to A*men, Kouros, Fahrenheit etc. (they're not easily appreciated) wouldn't be a good idea...

Here are some recommendations:

Dunhill Edition
    Azzaro Chrome
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Givenchy Blue Label
    CK Eternity
    Chanel Egoiste (if you spray less)
    Chanel Allure Sport
    Boss Bottled
    John Varvatos (this seems to work pretty well on my friends who smoke)

Blog Entries

I don't particularly even like this one...but on the right person it would probably smell fabulous. You just may be the person to wear...Boucheron Jaipur.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Last edited by iStink; 23rd January 2007 at 05:33 PM. Reason: DOUBLE POST
    -iStink

Far as what I liked in the past... There is some I liked for a couple weeks then they start to smell kind of TEEN to me. The Lacoste I bought comes to mind. Gucci Nobile was good but not my favorite yet at the time I word it, others seemed to like it. Oscar... I like the pepper note to it. Joop Jump does a good job with covering the vice but I feel its better for night and summer.

I tend to like an apple smell over citrus if that helps you all out. I wore many scents in my youth... Obession,
    Sung and Colors where favs and I always hated Cool Water.
    My sales job is in wireless sales, my market is very wide but at the same time the vast majority of my quality sales comes from mid to upper income men and the soccer mom. I'm in a weird area, I can have a NASA enginner and a redneck at the booth at the same time.
    -iStink

I looked around the mall on my break and sprayed a few swatches. Out of the suggestions, I founded the Jaipur, all the Chanels, and the Dunhill. Also I
    had a few pushed on me.
    The Jaipur didn't strike me well at first but I went back to it and will try to find a sample.

Dunhill did the opposite for me. I liked it for a few minutes.

Chanel's- I liked but not drawn in to. Might grab some samples though.

Can say that I liked 0 of all the Kenneth Cole frags... Everyone pushed them.

One pushed Marc Jacobs, I like it but not for what I'm looking for. Also lacked a punch (I know there has to be a better word for it).

Everything else ended up smelling like a bar of soap.

I'm going to hunt the Varvatos tomorrow.
    -iStink

Chevignon.
    Smells like apple pie - its a bit casual but maybe puts everyone at their ease?
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

iStink, you should be able to find Varvatos at any Macy's or other mall department store or Perfumania type store. Keep us posted!
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.

=

current favorites:
    =

hello, and welcome to one of the most addictive websites out there....

for work, i bought my husband YSL, Rive Gauche for chritsmas. It smells fantastic, the longevity is excellent and it should be able to cover a smoke smell. it is a clean, almost barber shop, smell so it may not be what you are looking for, but worth a try.

if you like azzaro, you really must try azzaro for men. It is a great, deep smell, a woody, not so much a fresh smell. azzaro also has a good longevity.

don't overlook the burberry line. the original burberry is an inviting scent and could be a good all'round work scent. the newer Burberry London is not bad, but may be too sweet for you, but again, worth a try and should be available at a macys or nordstrom.

let us know, happy smelling

The Varvatos is not in the mall I work at so I'll have to make a trip to take a sniff of it.

I've noticed that everything turns sweeter on my skin so the Jaipur is out because I smelled of strong vanilla.

DandG smelled fairly well on me. Citrus to lavender- pepper to a tobacco scent. I liked it but smells more like a night out, date scent to me but I did like it.

I'll keep you guys posted when I go to the big city and test some more.

BTW... I scored a free bottle of Farhenheit
    -iStink

Quote Originally Posted by iStink

BTW... I scored a free bottle of Farhenheit
    Cool! I love Fahrenheit

=

current favorites:
    =

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I have to agree with Mochi227 about John Varvatos. It is distinctive, not brassy and overpowering at all and just smells great. Longevity may be a bit too short for a full day so consider taking a small splash vial or roll-on of it along with you to add a bit to the base from time to time. I carry a 1/6 oz ED Luce roll on about 1/2 full with me when I wear it and am away from the house for an extended time.

And welcome to Basenotes! You will find, as I have, a wealth of information and ideas here along with some great folks dishing it out.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Faust
    for work, i bought my husband YSL, Rive Gauche for chritsmas.

don't overlook the burberry line.
    Those are good ideas... to me, Burberry Brit and Swiss Army are very easy to like by most anyone, and to me, that fits sales. Brit is quite easy to find in regular department stores, too.

Welcome to you and Lynn!

Dave

If you can get to a Nordstroms I would very, very, very strongly suggest you try Hugh Parson's 99 Regent St (I understand they carry it). Wonderful stuff. Somewhat like the "others" at first, but as it develops it is amazing yet subtle. You would be Mr. Numero Uno classy sales guy if you went with the Hugh Parsons. I would caution against making your selection decisions solely on what you get off a card. You will never get the drydown, or the full sense of the fragrance unless you try it on. The secret of Parsons's colognes is what happens over the a period of a few hours. That's where the magic is, believe me. I own the Blue Traditional version, and at first I thought "huh, ok, but nothing spectacular;" then after an hour or so, it became evident that this is one great fragrance.

Let us know how you make out with this process. Good luck!

Joe

John Varvatos is a sweet scent, so you might not like it, but on the sharp and clean side, Burberry Touch is an awesome scent with great sillage and longevity. Just a suggestion, but you could quit smoking, then you wouldn't have to cover it up.
    - Rich

I know smoking is bad and if I quit, it would be good for my health but not for the health of others.

I have quite the mouth and am the last person you want to tick off. Takes a lot but if you do... The words that come out of my mouth. The only time I ever got fired from a job, I had the manager crying by the time I spoke my mind.
    -iStink

If I were conversing with a salesman, I would prefer if he smells clean and not too much of cologne. With that in mind, I would recommend Gendarme 20 and/or Creed Original Vetiver. I would have recommended Mugler Cologne if it weren't so fleeting on my skin. But you might want to try it and see how it works for you. Nordstrom and Sephora would be among the best places to start.

All right, I found the Varvatos and liked it but it lasted about 2 hours on my skin. Liked it while it lasted though.

I also found a shop with quite a bit of stuff. They had many of the scents that has been suggested. Also they had Creed.... MI, GIT, SMW, and Vetiver.

I'm getting A-Men for a night scent... Good Lord its strong.

Thats all I have for now but I'll be buying around mid week.

Any last more suggestions?
    -iStink

Blog Entries

I've been liking Burberry Touch more & more these days. It's a light, musky violet frag.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Cool Re: Work cologne suggestions for a salesmen

I find it odd no one's mentioned

CACHAREL PH

This juice whispers "Trust me"
    (Maybe it's due to an association with Christmas via the nutmeg?)
    So you'll come in under the radar . . .
    And, as a bonus, it also happens to be a very good frag.

Anyway, wear it and let us know if you double your sales

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Overcome By Fumes

Rochas Man