Code of Conduct

Default Chanel 22 mystery

A couple years ago I bought a small bottle of the #22 perfume on eBay and completely fell in love with it, and it is still one of my all-time favorites. I decided to invest in a much more expensive full-size bottle (also of the pure perfume) and got one on eBay (about a year ago). However, much to my disappointment, the scent in the large bottle is quite different from the original one I had. It's a very similar scent, the opening is a bit different and not too bad but once that wears off what's left is this horrible, sharp, tinny cheap nailpolishy smell that is miles away from the drydown of dark incense of my other bottle. What are some of the reasons this could be? Could it be age or maybe was kept in heat for a long time? Maybe it's actually the edt version someone swapped out for the real stuff? (The bottle was boxed and shrink-wrapped and sealed which makes me think that scenario might be a little far-fetched althogh the conspiracy theory is more entertaining than the liquid just aging!) I should go into Chanel and smell the edt to see if that's what I have.

I want to get another bottle now, but does Chanel even produce this anymore in parfum form? (At the Chanel botique in NYC they said they don't carry it but am not sure if it's available in Europe) I'm now a little put off by buying another on eBay. It's hard to imagine why they wouldn't sell it, I think it's amazing and a classic.

Default Re: Chanel 22 mystery

Well I don't know what happened to your bottle, but what I can tell you is that you can still find N22 in perfume bottles here in Chanel boutiques in Paris. And I assume you will find it in NY too when all the new exclusive fragrances of the range come out (supposedly next month.)

Photographer,
    Welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry to have to report that Chanel and Creed seem to be the all-time-favorite scents to counterfeit, so it's possible that this is what happened to you. There are several threads about that. Just search on the word "counterfeit", for instance. Chanel 22 is not cheap, and if you got a super price, I'd guess that you were had.

Depending on your level of experience, you may want to hang out in the "Just Starting Out" forum, where you can pick up a lot of info fast.

The good news is that people on BN can direct you to reliable online merchants, and there is also a thread about trusted Ebay sellers. And there are several people here who are willing to decant Chanel 22 (that is, sell quantities of it in smaller containers). scentiments.com has it, by the way.

Good luck, Dave

I was actually on the board a couple of years ago for a couple of years and just got into it again. Thinking about it I'm starting to think there's a good possibility that it is a counterfeit because the dry-down is really bad and weird and I don't think it is something Chanel would have put out... and I've smelled really old perfumes before and they just smell "flat" but are still recognizable as the real deal and this does not. And sadly the ones I bought weren't that cheap!

Chanel No. 22 EDT is available from Gloss.com who is the official internet vendor of Chanel fragrances.
    http://www.gloss.com/product/index.j...4688&sidenav=f

The price is $82 for a 3.4 oz bottle.

Chanel controls their distribution so that cheap product is not usually available. If you got a "great" price on Ebay I would be suspicious of the authenticity.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Quote Originally Posted by photographer
    I was actually on the board a couple of years ago for a couple of years and just got into it again. Thinking about it I'm starting to think there's a good possibility that it is a counterfeit because the dry-down is really bad and weird and I don't think it is something Chanel would have put out... and I've smelled really old perfumes before and they just smell "flat" but are still recognizable as the real deal and this does not. And sadly the ones I bought weren't that cheap!
    Hi. It sounds like you bought a fake. Here in NYC, real Chanel fragrances which are sold in discount shops are almost as expensive as those sold in Macy's etc. If you got yours at a price that wasn't so expensive, it almost certainly was fake. Unfortunately, sometimes these scoundrels sell fakes at really high prices as well! If it doesn't drydown well - that's a definite tip off to a fake.

Quote Originally Posted by Manderley View Post
    Well I don't know what happened to your bottle, but what I can tell you is that you can still find N22 in perfume bottles here in Chanel boutiques in Paris. And I assume you will find it in NY too when all the new exclusive fragrances of the range come out (supposedly next month.)
    Hi,

I know this is an old post but I have got a sample from PerfumedCourt and I my intereste in 22 is growing, as much as my disappointment for not being able to track the product easily...

Is Chanel still stocking it on their Paris boutiques?

I believe they do. Someone asked last year about the parfum and was told the boutiques do still sell No22 in parfum. But you have to phone and ask or call in person it seems.

I am lucky I have a large decant of the parfum and a 100ml bottle of the old version edt in the white case.
    Last edited by donna255; 9th April 2010 at 04:28 PM.
    DONNA

I don't know whether anyone is checking this thread 3 years on (!) but I'm after a reasonably sized bottle of Chanel no 22 Perfume. Not the $200 vat Chanel EDT are selling as part of their Exclusives range. I'm traveling to Paris in a couple of months and a friend is visiting NY in a couple of weeks, I hope to pick up a bottle somewhere, has anyone bought this recently?
    many thanks!

Chanel No 22 parfum is available at the Rue Cambon store in Paris. Other Chanel stores may also have it, or can order it, but the safest bet is Paris.