Code of Conduct

Default Marie Antionette's Perfume

For those of you who didn't see this news article from the Washington Post:

The chateau at Versersailles is selling a perfume based on Marie Antoinette's favorite perfumes from the 18th century. Perfumer Francis Kurkdjian (Guerlain, Dior, Elizabeth Arden) based the formulas for the queen's favorite perfumes, using all-natural ingredients and authentic techniques. He worked with Elisabeth de Feydeau (a historian and professor at the Versailles School of Perfumes) who discovered the formulas in musty boxes of centuries-old documents warehoused by the French government.

The fragrance is named "Sillage de la Reine" and is an amber essence of jasmine, orange blossom, tuberose, iris, cedar, and sandalwood. An ounce in a crystal phial costs $450 in the chateau gift shop. The deluxe version, 8.5 oz. in numbered Baccarat crystal flasks, costs $10,500. (Half of the ten large flasks have been sold.)

Proceeds will go toward buying the queen's ornate wooden traveling case from a private collecter at a cost of $455,000.

Feydeau spent two years researching her recently published book, "A Scented Palace: The Secret History of Marie Antoinette's Perfumer."
    Kurkdjian says he focused on the queens' preference for "fruity, heavy, flowery" fragrances and developed, "an olfactory sketch in my mind, more of a feeling than an actual recipe."

The perfume focuses on the private, sympathetic side of Marie Antoinette after the birth of her first child, when she withdrew from the public and spent much of her time at Trianon, enjoying its secluded, scented gardens.

Default Re: Marie Antionette's Perfume

Here's a link to another post on the subject. Also, for those of you interested in the more technical side of things, here's an info sheet (PDF format in English).

Both also mention that Beaute Prestige International (the Shiseido division that handles Jean Paul Gaultier, Issey Miyake, and Narciso Rodriguez perfumes) bottled the juice for the museum. Makes sense, as Francis Kurkdjian (the perfumer of this) also created Le Male, Gaultier˛, and (with Christine Nagel) Narciso Rodriguez for Her for BPI. He's also the one behind BPI's upcoming Fleur du Male, too.
    Last edited by MFfan310; 23rd January 2007 at 02:15 PM.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Default Re: Marie Antionette's Perfume

Thanks for the link. I didn't know this had been posted previously.