Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Neroli Sauvage, longevity and scent types.

Neroli sauvage lasts all day for me. The following day if I smell my arm, there is a very fine and subtle sandalwood basenote clearly detectable. However, after the initial blast, this scent has quite low sillage and projection. It becomes a subtle, close to the skin scent, something which people would definitely notice (human smell is quite sensitive) but not necessarily to the extent of being conscious of it, unless they were very close. This is fine by me, it has one of my favourite smells and one of my favourite perfumes.

I see this perfume criticised often for lack of longevity, I postulate instead that the objection people have is that of a lack of projection over a long period. I think this has to do with the type of scent under consideration. Due to its construction (and maybe the nature of its fine smelling ingredients), this scent will behave in certain ways; the top notes are citric which by definition are short lived and volatile, the middle is green (petitgrain dominated) which serves to link all the notes and blend the development and the base is of sandalwood, a heavy dense basenote which naturally has low projection. I understand the nature of this fragrance and don't expect it to do things it cannot (i.e. be a sillage monster for 16 hours), instead (after the first 2-3 hours) it is an excellent perfume for my wife and I and anyone I kiss or stand very close to that day to enjoy.

I feel that often people miss the point that there are many different types of scent. Not all are for every day day and not all are for everybody, but it is easy to miss fragrances of very high quality when judging them by inapproprite criteria.

Thoughts anyone?
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Neroli Sauvage, longevity and scent types.

Yes maybe "low sillage" is the right word. I would like a scent of this quality to have better sillage - it would create quite an impression around people.
    -

A very well thought out and accurate description, going by my own experience. I'm vey much in the 'less is more' camp and this one suits me just fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm definitely going to have to sniff closer, Hirch. I love Neroli Sauvage, but I'm also one who often complains about its longevity. Maybe I'm just expecting it to project more?

Anyway, as soon as it warms up a little (it's frigid around here now!) I look forward to giving it more wear.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Post Thanks / Like

This is quickly becoming my 'signature' scent. It is definitely the one I "go to" on most days when I just can't decide what else to wear.
    It is the most wearable, dignified and just plain GREAT smelling juice in my collection. If I ever want to have a bit more sillage with it, I just layer it with either a little Erolfa or a little Eau d'Orange Verte underneath - in each case it makes the Neroli stand out a bit more than usual, but (for better or worse) it also changes the nature of the sillage a bit.

Wonderful stuff, indeed.

Post Thanks / Like

It's such a joyful scent, so uplifting, that I even wear it in the winter sometimes to chase the blues away. On me it lasts fairly well, and I get great sillage, but I do re-apply once or twice during the day.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GenuineImitationLife
    It's such a joyful scent, so uplifting, that I even wear it in the winter sometimes to chase the blues away. On me it lasts fairly well, and I get great sillage, but I do re-apply once or twice during the day.
    Yes I agree entirely. It is very happy and uplifting. I also get that from roger and gallet extra veille which has a heart of orange - neroli and petitgrain.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Gone in about an hour.....Sorry....I'll never purchase again....Same with Erolfa.....I put these 2 together and it helps a bit.
    Gary