Code of Conduct

Default gourmand for the beginner?

i've heard of 'angel' (have yet to smell it though) and i own and love 'princess' but what are some other sweet, food-like, or indulgent scents that i might like?

Default Re: gourmand for the beginner?

The whole range of Comptoir Sud Pacific with a very few exceptions;
    Lolita Lempicka and Lolita Lempicka L;
    L'Artisan Jour de Fete;
    Gabrielle Strehle Strenesse;
    Pink Sugar!

Blog Entries

Welcome to Basenotes, bloodylipstick! :wave:

Choices depend upon what you like in your gourmands - chocolate, fruit, vanilla, or plain sugar). It is worth exploring the many foody / gourmand scents available from affordable etailers like Bathed & Infused, Bath & Body Works, etc...

Here's a few others to try:

TBS (The Body Shop) Amorito - chocolate and jasmine
    TBS Vanilla perfume oil - sweet vanilla with a fruity top note
    Yves Rocher Vanille Bourbon
    TBS Strawberry
    TBS Fuzzy Peach
    Lush Soft Coeur massage bar (used as intensive moisturiser / solid perfume) - soft orange and honey scent with chocolate
    Aquolina Chocolovers
    Aquolina Pink Sugar
    Parfums de Couer Sugar Vanilla Fantasy body spray
    Serendipidous

Good Luck and Happy Sniffing!
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

May I suggest followings:

Christian Dior - Hypnotic Poison (almond and vanilla)
    Christian Dior - Miss Dior Cherie (strawberry sorbet)
    Origins - Ginger Essence (ginger)
    Serge Lutens - Arabie (spicy pudding with candied fruit peels)
    L'Artisan - Bois Farine (flour)
    L'Artisan - Ananas Fizz (pineapple)
    Laura Mercier - Creme Brulee edt (best creme brulee I have ever smelled from a bottle)
    Bond No 9 - So New York (for the chocolate-cocoa lover)

Good Luck... and I love Angel and Pink Sugar too!

Angel is a love or hate smell - I love gourmands so I liked it immediately. Definitely try a sample. I'd recommend the original over the floral variations, (although I love Rose Angel too, which still smells quite yummy to my nose) but also try Innocent which has gourmand notes.

angel innocent

introduces you to the wonderful smell of honey
    "Where should one use perfume?" a young woman asked. "Wherever one wants to be kissed," I said. - Coco Chanel

Patou Sira des Indes is a gorgeous gourmand. I love So New York, and Little Italy, and DSH Cafe Noir is great. One of my all-time favorites is Keiko Mecheri Loukhoum. Not to be missed! Serge Lutens Rahat Loukhoum is also delicious. L'Artisan's Safran Troublant, Piment Brulant, and Poivre Piquant are fascinating gourmands. Ginestet Botrytis makes my mouth water - just wonderful. But the Gourmand of Gourmands, to me, is Serendipitous. I'm tempted to drink it. It's just YUM.

Welcome!

Oh - just thought of these by Sonoma Scent Studio. Great prices for fine fragrances:

Black Raspberry Cocoa, Chai Latte, Créme de Bois, and Lait Crémeux.

Hanae Mori is really nice and sweet lots of berries, creamy vanilla, and almonds.

comptoir sud pacifique does a line of foody scents. vanille peche, abricot and anana is all quite... foody. i dont do foody so well; it turns sickly sweet on my skin.

comme des garcons has a few lines, like sweet, sherbet and synthetic that have fragrances like burned sugar, spiced cocoa, cinnamon, rubarb sherbet, soda and so on, and its quite fun...

even though it isnt often classified as a gourmand scent, i find that lolita lempicka le parfum comes out very foody on my skin, i guess its the tonka beans or something.

aroma m geisha marron (marron = chestnut in french) is also a lovely gourmand.

philosophy does a line of absolutely scrumptious smelling body washes (and maybe lotions, i dont really remember) and lip glosses in flavors like gingerbread men, candy canes, mimosa (as in the brunch cocktail), daiquri, and so on.

agatha paris caramel is also absolutely... yummy. these gourmand scents are not so good for your figure, they just make you hungry...

laura mercier also does a line of gourmand scents like almond coconut, creme brulee and so on.

if you're on a budget, a good place to start looking is bath & body works, fruits & passion and the body shop. they offer really really foody scents like vanilla noel and straight up cocoa.

if you go to luckyscents . com that is their "foody/gourmand" section, and you can browse what kind of perfumes are offered there that might suit your taste. only thing is, luckyscent only has niche perfumes, so i dont know if you would be able to find anything on this site that is department-store type.

good luck on your search for the perfect gourmand =)
    "she may be called miss, but she prefers mademoiselle." <3 ines

If money is not an issue, then New Haarlem by Bond No. 9 is a good one. It's a coffee gourmand tamed with spices and woody accents. It's one of the easier gourmands to like IMO.

oh my gosh! thank you guys SO much for all the help! i'm going to have so much fun testing and researching all of the different scents that have been suggested.

to be honest with you, i used to hate vanilla due to experiencing cheap sprays and whatnot (vanilla fields...no offense to those of you who like it). recently when i tried vera wang princess i found new senses and emotions being awakened (silly sounding, i know..but it's true!) and fell in love with the richness of a good, complex scent. my perfume fetish is still pretty new, so i'm inexperienced in testing even the most popular fragrances.

i truly love fruity scents like juicy couture and even lighter every-day scents from BBW (there's not a body shop near me) and philosophy..especially holiday scents or desert scents.

Lolita Lempika, Britney Spears Fantasy, Hanae Mori Butterfly, Hypnotic Poison, Kenzo Amour

Great suggestions so far!

I would like to add Ralph Hot By Ralph Lauren from 2006, as it is a price-worthy gourmand, and is not difficult to find. It is a gourmand who isn´t "cloying", it has a bit of freshnes, making it attractive to wear. It is still warm and a bit of heavy. The bottle is not a beauty, it is more fun.

Gourmandnotes of Ralph Hot: Mandarin, Cinnamon, Mocca Cream, Frech Milk, Fig Notes, Vanilla.

I have got compliments from a male stranger (about 30) for Ralph Hot, and I am 50+!

I don´t find previous mentioned Kenzo Amour a gourmand, it is not something I want to eat,but I guess it is a gourmand, technical. It has the gourmand-notes White Tea, Rice and Vanilla. I do recomend it, too, but more as a comfort-scent. It is a really lovely frag, easy to find, just a little expensive.
    Last edited by Margareta; 27th January 2007 at 09:51 AM.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Quote Originally Posted by starskyee
    Lolita Lempika, Britney Spears Fantasy, Hanae Mori Butterfly, Hypnotic Poison, Kenzo Amour
    I second Spears Fantasy, I own and I love it! Makes me want to eat cupcakes. Hanae Mori is nice too, a little too soft for my taste, but nice. Plan to spend more if you go that route
    From the moment I was six I felt sexy. And let me tell you it was hell, sheer hell, waiting to do something about it.
    Bette Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Margareta
    Great suggestions so far!

I would like to add Ralph Hot By Ralph Lauren from 2006, as it is a price-worthy gourmand, and is not difficult to find. It is a gourmand who isn´t "cloying", it has a bit of freshnes, making it attractive to wear. It is still warm and a bit of heavy. The bottle is not a beauty, it is more fun.

Gourmandnotes of Ralph Hot: Mandarin, Cinnamon, Mocca Cream, Frech Milk, Fig Notes, Vanilla.

I have got compliments from a male stranger (about 30) for Ralph Hot, and I am 50+!

I don´t find previous mentioned Kenzo Amour a gourmand, it is not something I want to eat,but I guess it is a gourmand, technical. It has the gourmand-notes White Tea, Rice and Vanilla. I do recomend it, too, but more as a comfort-scent. It is a really lovely frag, easy to find, just a little expensive.

Yep, Ralph Hot is yummy! I love that one too!
    From the moment I was six I felt sexy. And let me tell you it was hell, sheer hell, waiting to do something about it.
    Bette Davis