Code of Conduct

Default Can anyone recommend a really dry fragrance?

I've tried very few fragrances in my life, but plan to remedy that very soon ;-) After doing a lot of reading on this site and others I've got some lists made up of things to try.

Right now I only have one fragrance in my collection, Chanel Allure Homme Sport, which was a gift and not something I picked out myself. In my younger days, back in the '80s, I wore scents more often, usually things like Antaeus and Z-14. I also experimented with Knize 10 and especially 2, which became my most used scent.

But for some reason after a while I just abandoned all that and haven't worn anything for years. I've become far more interested lately and want to build of a collection of nice fragrances and wear them regularly.

I've noticed something about the Allure Homme Sport that I also remember about the Knize stuff, and even the Antaeus, if I recall correctly. They are too sweet for me. It may have something to do with a chemical reaction with my skin, but it is my impression that scents tend to smell sweeter on me than on a testing card. I won't know for sure until I do more testing and gain more experience with various scents.

Based on my reading I gather that Allure Homme Sport isn't regarded as a particularly sweet fragrance. Even so I find it getting to me and don't really feel comfortable with it.

I like woody, leathery scents, but also some herbal, spicy, and citrusy notes. I do like vetiver very much and definitely plan to add that to my wardrobe.

Can someome point me in the direction of very dry scents based on woody or leathery notes? And also a vetiver based scent that is very dry? Are there any Oriental type fragrances for men that are very dry?

I'm looking forward to any advice. I plan to do some testing and buying this weekend and would like to know some good ones to begin with.

noggs

Default Re: Can anyone recommend a really dry fragrance?

you may want to try Tam Dao and Do Son from Diptyque, Dzonghka from L'Artisan and possibly Timbuktu? I find them all to be quite dry, except there is something in the opening of Tam Dao that I think I am anosmic to b/c I can never smell it until it's been on my skin for a while. This is why I don't own it. But the dry down is well done, and I find quite dry.

L'artisan Parfumeur L'eau d'ambre is a really dry oriental (I think so, anyway). But, it's also really interesting. Since you don't like sweet scents, though, you may find that ANY oriental, regardless of dryness, may still be too sweet.

A "fresh" or citrus-y dry scent might be something like Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier (MPG) Centaur.

Have you tried Gucci Pour Homme? It's woody, leathery, and pretty dry. Chanel Cuir de Russie is another leather-based scent that is less sweet than Antaeus but has that dry, powdery Chanel base. The most interesting and dryest, smokiest scent I've tried in months is Le Labo Patchouli 24, but it may be a little more than you're wanting to try at this stage (both in extremity as well as price).

Diptyque L'autre is quite spicey, but also very dry and not at all sweet.

For a non-sweet Vetiver, definitely try Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire. It's not terribly dry, but I still think it might be something you'd find interesting.

That's all I can come up with off hand... but I'll see if I can't think of some more. In terms of prices, the Gucci would definitely be the most accessible (you can get it online for probably $25 or thereabouts), L'autre, MPG, CdR, and L'eau D'ambre are around $100-120, and the Malle and Le Labo are about $180-200.
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 24th January 2007 at 03:48 AM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Thrax

Bois Du Portugal
    Rive Gauche

Burberry Touch, Polo by Ralph Lauren, Rocabar by Hermes, Silver Mountain Water by Creed, Green Irish Tweed (or even Green Frich Tweed ) by Creed, and... Lacoste pour Homme (Silver or Grey bottle). I tried to pick one from every walk/financial walk of life, even though some of these don't fit your description perfectly, I would classifiy none of them as sweet under any circumstances. Enjoy, and welcome!
    - Rich

Ooh, dry scents- there are some good ones.

Bulgari pour homme- nothing sweet here, just tea and pepper.

Creed Tabarome Millesime- dust-in-your-throat dry. Like Bulgari ph on steroids, minus the white musk drydown.

Avignon- Incense, pure and beautiful. No flowers, no fruit, just fabulous aromatic resins.

Comme des Garcons' Man 2- this is the dryest scent I have (close to Tabarome, though). This stuff will almost make you thirsty. Its drydown is similar to Gucci ph, so if money is an issue, I'd go with the Gucci. Both scents are really fantastic wood/incense combos.

Chanel Platinum Egoiste- More of a designer scent, this one manages to be fresh and dry without resorting to fruit and flowers. Also, this seems to be easy to find/try, so it's a good bet. It has nothing in common with Egoiste, though, so watch out.

I hope that's a good start. Most of these are reasonably priced online. Oh, one more thing- try some Basala if you get a chance.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

My Wardrobe

BTW, Vetiver is usually toned down with citrus or some other accompanying note, but I find Vetiver Extraordinaire to be absolutely fabulous.
    - Rich

Blog Entries

Check out the scents available from Arran Aromatics - a wee independent outfit here in Scotland, UK. My skin tends to make most scents sweeter also and I find that their scents are very dry on me, sometimes too dry - love them!

After the Rain - "Simple uncomplicated luxury. This irresistible fragrance combines the sensual notes of precious woods, citrus, florals and musk." On my skin - pure, arid cedar with a figgy accord. Fresh and dry. Very woody. Perfect in spring and summer heat.

For Men - "A truly original modern fragrance, woody with a subtle hint of spice for a lingering sensual experience.With essential oils of Vetiver and cypress."

Laurel - "‘Laurel’ - a warm, sensual fragrance revealing comforting woody notes with an aromatic bloom of green herbs and hints of sweetness and spice, containing a combination of organic and essential oils and extracts, including cardamom, bergamot, orange and bay. Quite crisp when you first smell it, it softens into the kind of fragrance that takes your mind somewhere safe and warm."

Love Christmas - "A burst of Christmas comfort, reminiscent of the first mandarin of the season. Made with mandarin and petitgrain, with subtle undertones of dried fruit and cinnamon, Love Christmas is our gift to you at this most magical time of year." This is actually a room scent (incorporating pure Essential Oils) and hand / body care range. I find it is fine to use on skin (have had absolutely no reaction). The scent is dry pure, dry and woody. It is quite festive but far from cliched. Reserved, elegant woody it can be worn all year round and is great layered with the other much sweeter scents, especially Serge Lutens.

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Basenotes Institution

One of my favorite 'dry' fragrances is Eau de Merveilles (Hermes brand) - it smells like salt water on me...even though it's marketed as a woman's fragrance

Dry? Look no further than the L'Artisan line of perfumes. Most of them feature a dryness that can't be beat: Dzing!, Dzongkha, Fou d'Absinthe all have a very dry note.
    Kyoto in the Commes Des Garcons incense series is dryness itself.

Good luck.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

john varvatos...and anything by cartier dude

timbuktu
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

DK Unleaded is dry, leathery (suede) and has an initial citrus accord (well, pineapple).

Lorenzo Villoresi's Vetiver!!

Diptyque's L'Eau Trois

Given that you want dry as opposed to sweet I don't really think l'Artisan would work for you. I really think that what you are looking for is Patou pour homme.

One of the most superb things ever made IMO. Very dry, and not at all sweet. (Like the very finest french champagne, only you get to wear it.)
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

At the mention of dry Yatagan always comes to mind. I was just wearing the under-rated Sud Est yesterday and there's a hint of floral sweetness but more from dried flowers than freshly cut. If you could get past the initial sweetness of Cristobal I think you'd find it an acceptably dry oriental. I like the concentre version of eau de Cartier, a lovely dry, even bitter green.

My personal recommendations based on the ones I have or have had would have to be;

1.Feeling Man by Jil Sander; by far

2.Givenchy Gentleman
    3.Jaipur by Boucheron( Updatek, mist the non sweet bit in recommendation)
    Last edited by JYvdK; 26th January 2007 at 09:12 PM.

You might want to try Agua Fresca by Adolfo Dominguez:
    sometimes i feel like dry leaves and ashes with sand are resting in my arm.

Well some good dry and non sweet scents:
    - Guerlain Vetiver
    - Fendi Uomo
    - Givenchy Gentleman

I'd second the Givenchy Gentleman recommendations. It ticks the boxes on the very dry, spicy, herbal, and woody parts of your description. It is also widely available and an absolute classic for a man approaching his prime (which also seems to fit your description, noggs )
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

I never really thought of Silver Mountain Water as dry, but I guess it kind of is. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a dry fragrance, but it has its moments.

Interesting.

I know no drier scent than Hermes Equipage.

Ungaro III is the driest I've come across. So dry, I find it unwearable.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Wow guys, great recommendations!
    The only one I really don't agree with is Silver Mountain Water, which I find to be sweet and perfumey.

SMW and dry? I dont think so.

Antaeus's drydown is pretty errr dry, and Creed Baie de Genievre is dry as well (pretty awesome scents both of them)
    -

Quote Originally Posted by michaeld39
    I'd second the Givenchy Gentleman recommendations. It ticks the boxes on the very dry, spicy, herbal, and woody parts of your description. It is also widely available and an absolute classic for a man approaching his prime (which also seems to fit your description, noggs )
    GG is a good recommendation — but try for the older white box with black patterns. The bottle has a wrap-around label. The juice inside seems to have a smoother finish. Maybe more civet, or maybe more oakmoss — whatever it is it is superior to the current formulation.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluard
    GG is a good recommendation — but try for the older white box with black patterns. The bottle has a wrap-around label. The juice inside seems to have a smoother finish. Maybe more civet, or maybe more oakmoss — whatever it is it is superior to the current formulation.
    Blimey! I didn't realise they had changed it. I've got the old-school version and almost finished my bottle. Looks like I'll have to try before I buy a replacement.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Maybe Gucci Pour Homme, Azzaro Visit, or B*Men?

Isfarkand pour Homme by Ormonde Jayne is very dry (to my nose) with vetiver, woods and pepper, plus some citrus at the top. Great winter fragrance; lovely bottle also.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermθs | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

How dry? Scorched-earth dry?

Nothing mentioned so far strikes me as truly dry, as in bone-cracking, middle-of-the-subsaharan-desert-dry.

For this, I offer up Santa Maria Novella's Vetiver, and Aramis' Havana. Both of these instantly turned my nose passages to dust when first whiffed! Well, ok, you get the idea...

Ooh, I'd stay away from Jaipur. Dry? maybe... But sweet as hell.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

My Wardrobe

Thanks, Michaeld39. A good portion of my prime actually may be in the rearview mirror, but hopefully there's still a long road ahead of me ;-)

Givenchy Gentleman is on my master list anyway, for my impression of its scent characteristics. It sure is nice to also know that it's on the dry side, too. I'll definitely check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by michaeld39
    Blimey! I didn't realise they had changed it. I've got the old-school version and almost finished my bottle. Looks like I'll have to try before I buy a replacement.
    Yup, be quick. I got a 6oz bottle of the old stuff on ebay, so I'll never run out. The old stuff is a dream — the new is a less smooth approximation that seems to fall into two halves because the bridging civet isn't there. Interesting isn't it — small changes in perfume can make a large difference in effect.

There is a lot of the good stuff still about, so you'll have no trouble finding some.

Wicozani,

Well, I'm not exactly sure how dry. I was thinking very dry, bone dry, but that might be kind of hard to find in a scent (other than the ones you mentioned), and after I find them I may not like them as much as I think ;-)

Other than some scents seeming to get sweeter on my skin, my other concern is that I live in an extremely hot climate. The sweetness of most scents just gets to me and suffocates me after a while. I live in the Middle East, and it's very hot from April through October. During the summers it can get to 116-120F during late morning and afternoon. And while it is dry most of the time, I do live pretty close to a body of water, so it can also be very hot and humid depending upon the wind direction.

So I'm looking for something to keep me refreshed during the very hot summers here, and hopefully take my mind off the heat.

noggs

Quote Originally Posted by noggs
    Thanks, Michaeld39. A good portion of my prime actually may be in the rearview mirror, but hopefully there's still a long road ahead of me ;-)

Givenchy Gentleman is on my master list anyway, for my impression of its scent characteristics. It sure is nice to also know that it's on the dry side, too. I'll definitely check it out.
    Maybe the problem here is the metaphor of dryness, but I wouldn't spontaneously describe GG as 'dry'. It's a great frag, but I just can't place it along that axis. (It was hot day today and I wore it as my SOTD, so it works in heat.)

The dryest scents i know:

Kouros
    Santos Concentree
    Devin
    Yatagan
    Equipage
    Van Cleef & Arpels PH
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Wink Re: Can anyone recommend a really dry fragrance?

try hamptons by bond no.9 at saks new york or sexual at bloomindale's
    does are really nice scent.

Thank you all for your input! I have a good list to work with now.

I did go last night and buy some frags. This was the first time in ages I had tested and bought anything new.

It was an incredible experience! The sales staff overwhelmed me and I tested way too many, lost all my discipline, forgot about my list, and ended up buying five on the spot. God, they all smelled so good! A whole new world of sensory pleasures has opened up for me. I suppose that I hadn't paid any attention to frags for so long that I had forgotten that they could be so wonderful ;-)

Once I started testing I found that I liked the floral and spicy characteristics a lot more than I thought I would, so despite my intention to buy some very dry, woody, green type scents I just bought whatever I liked at the time ;-)

Here is what I got:

Dior Homme EdT (almost put me off at first, but grew on me)
    YSL Rive Gauche Homme EdT (seems very floral, but I like it)
    Givenchy Gentleman EdT (suits me well, like the civet in the base)
    Rochas Aquaman EdT (wow--black pepper, coriander, cardomom)
    Guerlain L'Instant Homme EdP (seems rich and classy)

I also tried the Guerlain Vetiver, Dior Eau Sauvage, and the Jil Sander (forget which one but I think it was an old, perhaps discontinued one which comes in a tall, dark bottle that looks like cubes stacked on top of one another). I will definitely be picking up bottles of both the Guerlain Vetiver and the Jil Sander, which someone here had recommended. It was lean, dry, green, and woody. I think it will be great when the temps go higher.

As I said, I tested many more than these, far too many to accurately judge and keep track of. But I just lost control. It was like a feeding frenzy ;-)

I'm wearing the YSL Rive Gauche today. Perhaps I'll post a review of it later after I figure it out.

Thanks again for all your help!

Congratulations noggs! Seems like you've done very well for yourself.

Halston's 1-12 is dry as bones. Does it smell cheap, or is it just the price?....

Caron's Poivre will leave you dry to the bone.

Sounds like this is a little late, but I think Villoresi's Wild Lavender (fka Inglese) is a wonderful blend of dry, refreshing and non-woody. This is fairly linear, and is pretty much the same for several hours.

On the woody side, I love Villoresi's Sandalo which I think is a very dry sandalwood with a fantastic rose basenote that is absolutely unreal. This one has a nice dry-down that goes from a dry sandalwood with some rose, to a 50/50 calm balance of those elements. To die for! Not very long lasting, however, for a sandalwood fragrance.

Joe

Hi there,
    The driest fragrance I can think of is Hove' Pirates Gold. Their Camellia is extra-dry too. Hove' being in New Orleans, uses vetiver alot which they say is very traditional down there. Hove' is not terribly expensive & I spent a few delightful hours there back in 1980.

Ok...i thoroughly searched my wardrobe in search of the most arid potions.
    Santos Concentree, Aramis, and the original Montana Parfum D' Homme are the absolute dryest of the 'drobe!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I'll echo the recommendations of Gucci Pour Homme. It's a very dry, cedary scent that's excellent during the colder months. I especially like its drydown as the cedar softens up and gives way to a hint of sweetness.